As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Shin Megami Tensei/Persona Discussion] V back for Vengeance (Lilith's after the throne)

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited February 21 in Games and Technology
z2rHuR3.png6h8IlEo.pngZScZEGs.png

We've been making threads for as many years as most of the series as existed.

xtCFeFm.jpg

So for this forthcoming SMT-niversary, let's show our own crazy community some love.

I found as many as I could.

keimx.jpg
January 2007
July 2007 (P3)
September 2007
December 2007
June 2008
September 2008 (P4)
November 2008 (SJ)

46tfbxfkm9ga.png
December 2009
February 2009
April 2009
July 2009
August 2009

p3neo.png
April 2010
August 2010
February 2011 (Catherine Edition)
March 2011

iqhe8il2gqjd.png
April 2011 (SMT Imagine)
T3IRhcu.png
(Yes, yes, I still would.)
April 2012
May 2012 (SMTIV Reveal)
August 2012 (P4A)
October 2012 (SE++)
December 2012

kvLhFIW.png
July 2013
May 2014
October 2014 (SE++)

Ch1JQHjWwAMVhoo.jpg
April 2015
July 2016 (SE++ P5 Edition)
April 2017 (SE++)
June 2018 (SE++)

April 2017 - Present Day!

Here's to another perfect 25!

BPHTW0j.gif

Now go explore that open world. And watch out for those pesky angels.
kmoq5y2d5vu7.png

Oh, and as always:
54j2lfae3ka6.png

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I'm starting to see the flaws in SMT V's storytelling, but I'm still too hyped playing the game to actually be, like, bothered by it.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I'm starting to see the flaws in SMT V's storytelling, but I'm still too hyped playing the game to actually be, like, bothered by it.

I'm curious where it's going, so I'm going to hold off judgment until I finish it, but the only character that feels remotely interesting is the bully victim, who you barely even meet.

wVEsyIc.png
  • KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    Magatsuhi Wellspring is useless and I'm upset that I spent 150 on it :(

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    It's really useful on hard where it means one or two more spells for my demons before I have to swap them out or start burning items.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    Talith wrote: »
    It's really useful on hard where it means one or two more spells for my demons before I have to swap them out or start burning items.
    Yeah but I almost always use the Magatsuhi immediately, or at most one turn after availability, so that's 3-6 MP per person. I dunno it's not nothing but I'd rather have gotten some of the summoning/fusion miracles.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Kaputa wrote: »
    Yeah but I almost always use the Magatsuhi immediately, or at most one turn after availability, so that's 3-6 MP per person. I dunno it's not nothing but I'd rather have gotten some of the summoning/fusion miracles.

See, in my case I bought Magatsuhi Wellspring and basically none of the other Miracles that improve Magatsuhi gain, leaving my Glory open for a bunch of other Miracles. So I get to full Magatsuhi and just enjoy the passive regen until I need a set of crits to close out a battle.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    man. At the point i'm at in SMT5 the framerate just doesn't exist anymore and it's REALLY making me want to just stop. Because it's bad enough that it is legit getting difficult to move around the map. like I might have to shelve the game until they release a performance patch this is legitimately getting into the realm of unplayable.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
    So far this game has been really good about making me go through all my items when I'd normally horde them all forever.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    So far this game has been really good about making me go through all my items when I'd normally horde them all forever.

I literally use everything.

Even spyglasses.

I think this is the first game ever I've used like every consumable item.

Hell, I'm only ~40 hours in and I've already used a bead. I've literally used every gem I could carry of a certain type in a single battle multiple times and you can't even buy those, at least not at the point I'm at in the game if you ever can (please don't tell me).

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    For my first playthrough I decided to just play on hard (because I'm crazy) and like yeah liberal use of just about every kind of item has been the only way I've been beating the optional minibosses without like, grinding a ton.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    man. At the point i'm at in SMT5 the framerate just doesn't exist anymore and it's REALLY making me want to just stop. Because it's bad enough that it is legit getting difficult to move around the map. like I might have to shelve the game until they release a performance patch this is legitimately getting into the realm of unplayable.

It's hilarious to me how anything more than three feet away from the protag switches into this stuttery low frame rate animation, it's insane

edited November 2021
    It's not even just that. I mean the framerate as I'm moving around is tanking causing input delays. And when I'm in an area where demons literally just pop out of nowhere because that's their gimmick and ambush you, having my controls just stop because the framerate dipped to like 10 is not great.

Thankfully I realized that when docked, the switch has an option to lower the resolution, which has helped a bit

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

I literally use everything.

Even spyglasses.

Spyglasses are legit bonkers. Especially for the Mitama for easy xp/money/glory and bosses to know what stunts you can expect, combines great with a well timed dampener. But even just saving you from guessing the wrong element and suddenly losing all your turns. You can always hit a weak element to get back the turn you spent with the spyglass but once your out you just have to hope you can deal with whats coming.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Just a heads up many retailers (Amazon/GameStop/BestBuy/etc.) are currently selling SMTIII HD for a far more reasonable price than the original MSRP - $25 for the Switch version and $20 for the PS4 version.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Area 2 boss spoilers:
    Lahmu round 2! Wow. This one is gonna be tough. Not sure if I'm missing some sort of trick or if this is just one of those real tough ones you need to go in with a good plan for. That move that heals all tentacles in phase 1 is a nightmare. So AoE skills seem right out and you have to focus 1 down at a time as far as I can tell. And manage resources well enough to have enough in the tank for the next 2 phases.
    Wooweee! This is SMT now!

Area 2 boss spoilers:
    Lahmu round 2! Wow. This one is gonna be tough. Not sure if I'm missing some sort of trick or if this is just one of those real tough ones you need to go in with a good plan for. That move that heals all tentacles in phase 1 is a nightmare. So AoE skills seem right out and you have to focus 1 down at a time as far as I can tell. And manage resources well enough to have enough in the tank for the next 2 phases.

I just cleared that fight myself. This is what I did:
    First of all, it helps to have dithered around doing basically everything you can possibly do on the map, but when doesn't that help? I had the Nahobino up to level 40 for this fight. (Hard mode may change things.)

For the first round, I had Jatayu (at level 40, because I kept trying to get his essence so I could put Mazanma on the Nahobino and he just wouldn't give it to me), Muu Shuvuu, and Alice. All three of those can be readily equipped with Mazanma (in Alice's case, because Muu Shuvuu is one of her components). Jatayu is vulnerable to Mudo, and I really only escaped the first phase due to luck in him not getting hit.

Lahmu has very few HP once all of his tentacles come off, so use that "sub-phase" to switch to your secondary team.

For the second phase, I used a Cironnup that I fused to have Matarukaja and Resist Dark, Naga Raja, and Parvati. Cironnup's job was to use Ghastfire Rain alongside the Nahobino's Agilao to extend the Press Turns or use Cautious Cheer to (preemptively) buffer against the Sukunda effect of Silt of Ruin, while Naga Raja acted as a reliable physical face-beater strong against most of Lahmu's options. Parvati is critical as a healer because she's immune to Confuse, meaning you'll have at least one option available to heal everyone else and you might get him to lose turns depending when he casts it.

Something to keep in mind is that Lahmu's second phase is balanced against the fact that you fight a completely different demon in the first phase, so he's not nearly as much of an HP sponge as other bosses are. You'll still have to go several rounds with him, but you may be able to run a more aggressive build. ... though admittedly the build I posted above is actually a fairly cautious one, heh.

for that area 2 boss
    I actually had two bespoke teams for it. First team just belted it with aoe skills and burst it down before it could really do anything, then swap out for the part 2 team. it was admittedly a lot of setup work but it worked really well.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

It's hilarious to me how anything more than three feet away from the protag switches into this stuttery low frame rate animation, it's insane

It's literally the same behavior in SMT4/Apocalypse which makes me wonder about the SMT5's development path.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Kupi wrote: »
    Area 2 boss spoilers:

I just cleared that fight myself. This is what I did:
    First of all, it helps to have dithered around doing basically everything you can possibly do on the map, but when doesn't that help? I had the Nahobino up to level 40 for this fight. (Hard mode may change things.)

For the first round, I had Jatayu (at level 40, because I kept trying to get his essence so I could put Mazanma on the Nahobino and he just wouldn't give it to me), Muu Shuvuu, and Alice. All three of those can be readily equipped with Mazanma (in Alice's case, because Muu Shuvuu is one of her components). Jatayu is vulnerable to Mudo, and I really only escaped the first phase due to luck in him not getting hit.

Lahmu has very few HP once all of his tentacles come off, so use that "sub-phase" to switch to your secondary team.

For the second phase, I used a Cironnup that I fused to have Matarukaja and Resist Dark, Naga Raja, and Parvati. Cironnup's job was to use Ghastfire Rain alongside the Nahobino's Agilao to extend the Press Turns or use Cautious Cheer to (preemptively) buffer against the Sukunda effect of Silt of Ruin, while Naga Raja acted as a reliable physical face-beater strong against most of Lahmu's options. Parvati is critical as a healer because she's immune to Confuse, meaning you'll have at least one option available to heal everyone else and you might get him to lose turns depending when he casts it.

Something to keep in mind is that Lahmu's second phase is balanced against the fact that you fight a completely different demon in the first phase, so he's not nearly as much of an HP sponge as other bosses are. You'll still have to go several rounds with him, but you may be able to run a more aggressive build. ... though admittedly the build I posted above is actually a fairly cautious one, heh.
    Interesting to see what everyone else rolls with. I had a King Frost with resist dark using King Bufula and Fang Breaker, and a Parvati with overhealing medias at the ready and holy magic for press turns carry me through the fight. By the end of it I had 7 KOed demons I think, and used all my fire and holy gems, but I managed to go in blind on hard and survive at level 38. Another MVP was that little cupid firefox demon and his unique def+agi up team skill, sakunda, and his unique fire skill for press turns on rotate.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I also have a somewhat unique way of playing... I have a set party of demons. Playing on normal to make that possible but I just continue to upgrade and fuse those specific ones into higher level ones so it feels like I'm using the same party just slowly growing. 1 tanky, 1 healer (with some spells) and one pure magic dealer with as much coverage as possible. I only have 2 extra demon slots unlocked just for ease of fusions but not going to bother unlocking more because I'm not trying to have a big army of actual usable demons.

When things get hairy and my demons are dead I'll bring in one of the random special fusions that happen to be sitting around to help finish a rough fight but most of the time by that point it's game over.

Also just for my own personal sense of balance I'm not gonna use the dampeners and I keeping the elemental items basically just for mitama killing(and I sell any I get beyond 5). I just like to keep my tools on my party instead of items as much as possible.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »

It's literally the same behavior in SMT4/Apocalypse which makes me wonder about the SMT5's development path.

I literally sat around in the school for like ten minutes just watching far off NPCs walk closer, shift into smooth movement, walk past, and shift back into janky low frame rate

It's weirdly hypnotic

Now that I've beaten the area 2 boss it's time for a power spike (that I really should have made before the boss fight)!
    avmva50ac09q.jpg
    b52xgp6q8ghm.jpg
    bdaa8vx30nnr.jpg
    55lbecm4aghe.jpg
    kcb4br6ykf1l.jpg

About 250K worth of macca, the majority of my entire roster dedicated to fusion fodder, and delaying the use of the demonic statues to just before fusion. I also picked up the Artemis (and Cleo, got fragged when I passed by it on accident) DLC since I had the gold coins for it.

This is before the use of incenses and sutras I've been hoarding since I've entered area 2. It might feel less gratifying but I definitely understand going END only diehard support build MC when you can crank out bespoke monsters like these. I thought Level +10 STR/MAG was a pretty solid place to be stat-wise for each combatant...

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    Oh yea I have not used a single statue/incense/grimoire/sutra yet either. Saving them for my late game demons/when I get more than I need for those demons and know I can safely use the excess on current demons haha.

Alice's magatsuhi fires off an almighty laser that did 1660 damage and still let's me continue my turn like usual :D

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I'm completely done with the third major area and quite frankly good riddance that place does not have an enjoyable layout and i spent more time staring at the map going "How the fuck" then i did actually exploring.

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    I'm completely done with the third major area and quite frankly good riddance that place does not have an enjoyable layout and i spent more time staring at the map going "How the fuck" then i did actually exploring.

Yea the verticality of that whole area was a pain, especially when I knew that I had gone the right way at some point and could not remember the right route AT ALL.

I have decided that Idun is going to remain on my team for the rest of the game, and that's that.

I just completed the question
    Where you fight berserk lil winged girl who was your first assistant whose name I now forget, and I decided to take her affinities instead of her skills, but man A NEW TIER of shit. cool.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    So the gold dragon's arrival side quest
    That dragon challenges you afterwards and is level 70. He started the fight with an almighty attack that did 480~ damage to everyone, gg.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    on area 3 and the law dudes have been surprisingly less dickish than i would have suspected

i'm

suspicious

Gundi wrote: »
    on area 3 and the law dudes have been surprisingly less dickish than i would have suspected

i'm

suspicious

It's easy to be tolerant when you're on the back foot in your war.

Not really a spoiler, just an "X thing is strong":
    dampeners. Somehow I've made it this far without using them, thinking they just weakened an enemy move, then I read the description and thought "oh shit." Made Werewolf Guy much easier.

Kaputa wrote: »
    Not really a spoiler, just an "X thing is strong":
    dampeners. Somehow I've made it this far without using them, thinking they just weakened an enemy move, then I read the description and thought "oh shit." Made Werewolf Guy much easier.
    Yep. Actually to an almost disappointing degree if the game weren't so brutal on every front; for basically every boss fight, if you pop a Spyglass immediately and look for a multi-target move, you know in advance what Dampener to use when you see the "gathered nearby magatsuhi" prompt.

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Beat the game a second time with the
    secret
    ending and I went from being kinda cool on the game to really liking it. After the first playthrough I think I had it below Strange Journey and 3, but I think I like it second best of the post-Nocturne main series (I wasn't a huge fan of 4). The quality of life stuff is incredible, and there are a lot of banger tracks in the back half of the game. I think the plot got caught in a dead zone between minimalist and actual plot and it was not the place to be. The little actual plot they put in was laughably bad, so maybe stay away from that in the future. Still, they at least have a really great gameplay formula.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Yeah, this really feels like an SMT that's more about QOL and a bold new direction gameplay wise, while trying not to do anything too bold story-wise.

wVEsyIc.png
    Alright my secret sauce to that area 2 boss fight was just leveling up exactly 1 time to 38 and making my Mu Shuwuu. Then proceeded to have no issues(while also throwing some MP items at my healer and Mu).

I'm near the end of area 3 and I have found a very interesting change to a certain skill
    "What if we took one of the best skills in the series, Hassou Tobi, and make it BETTER as a joke or a prank.

M A G I K A Z A M
    I just wish it wasn't unique. My MC is my phys character so I've got no room in my team for sir Yoshi.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I'm near the end of area 3 and I have found a very interesting change to a certain skill
    "What if we took one of the best skills in the series, Hassou Tobi, and make it BETTER as a joke or a prank.

It has been stronger against groups before.

I just wish it wasn't unique. My MC is my phys character so I've got no room in my team for sir Yoshi.

Oh don't worry, there's a couple of crazy Str skills later for the MC. It's too bad Hassou Tobi isn't as broken as it was in P5.

A duck! wrote: »

Oh don't worry, there's a couple of crazy Str skills later for the MC. It's too bad Hassou Tobi isn't as broken as it was in P5.

Yea I'm still not quite sure if I wanna stay split almighty/phys or just go hard on the best STR based almighty skills and every single support skill to boost that one to the dumbest levels of damage.

Option A gives more potential press turns on non-omo crit turns. Option 2 is higher damage per hit.

I guess the biggest question there would be if a lot of late bosses have phys resist makings those extra potential press turns a wash anyway... hmmm..

A duck! wrote: »

Yea I'm still not quite sure if I wanna stay split almighty/phys or just go hard on the best STR based almighty skills and every single support skill to boost that one to the dumbest levels of damage.

Option A gives more potential press turns on non-omo crit turns. Option 2 is higher damage per hit.

I guess the biggest question there would be if a lot of late bosses have phys resist makings those extra potential press turns a wash anyway... hmmm..

Almighty is the best option, in my opinion. There are a few bosses with phy resists later on, and while you can use a skill to add Pierce and up damage I think a build that uses Critical Zealot, Critical Aura and an attack skill that does extra damage on crit is the better option.