As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Total War] Immortal Empires arrives in August 23rd! Southlands Showdown Awaits!

• LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Nurgle Roster Reveal. No units that hadn't already been spotted in the trailer/screenshots.
    • Interesting that Palanquins of Nurgle are in as a mount supported by "a carpet of Nurglings", considering that for Greasus Goldtooth they said they couldn't do a carpet of Gnoblars.
    • The Exalted Great Unclean Ones with the lore of Death seem to have the hooded head option, which is a neat way to visually separate them from the lore of Nurgle casters.
    • Heralds get Palanquins and Rot Flies as mounts, but not Plague Toads.
    • Cultists are not wizards. While the glimpse of the Slaanesh Cultist made her look like a melee blender, Nurgle's lad looks like a zombie putting on airs. I assume he'll be focussed on buffing in battle, but even the blog notes that they're better suited to the campaign map.
    • All Nurgle daemons (so... 99% of the roster) have Poison! attacks and Cloud of Flies (which increases Melee Defense the longer they're in combat).
    • Exalted Plaguebearers throw Death's Heads "as they close". I assume this will work like the Chameleon Skink Stalkers' exploding blowpipe attack.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    It's easier to animate the Palanquin like the Throne of Grudges, where the carriers are part of the model than what Greasus was supposed to be like, where he is literally carried by Gnoblars

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-warhammer-iii-nurgle-roster-reveal/
    Ku’gath Plaguefather

Whilst other Great Unclean Ones work to spread the plagues already extant, Ku’gath, the Plaguefather, is fascinated by the breeding of new and virulent life. Ku’gath aims to one day breed a contagion that can infect the Gods themselves. The Plaguefather rides upon a massive palanquin bedecked with alchemical paraphernalia: vials full of seething powder, flasks of indescribable liquid and hessian sacks stuffed to bursting with Nurglings. This great bulk is held aloft by a carpet of straining Nurglings, and Ku’gath is attended on by countless others, all bred from the Plaguefather’s pox vats.

In battle, Ku’gath operates as the campaign’s earliest-available artillery piece, hurling explosive Nurglings across half the map to detonate in the ranks of his enemies. He’s an expert spellcaster in the Lore of Nurgle, a uniquely powerful daemon summoner who can bring more of those explosive Nurglings onto the battlefield, and one very smelly boy.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Hmmm, yeah maybe I could come around on "Vampire Counts with poison and artillery and no fast cav"

Just in general though, it sounds like basically every WH3 roster would stomp those from WH1 and 2? At least more super sounding units, maybe the numbers don't play that way though. The series definitely has power creep though, not that it's a terrible thing, as it's a fun game first, competitive is less of a direct concern and I think leans hard on the cost of units to make it work.

• LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    It's easier to animate the Palanquin like the Throne of Grudges, where the carriers are part of the model than what Greasus was supposed to be like, where he is literally carried by Gnoblars

Aye. They should have given Greasus a dais carried by Gnoblars. You could even cover it in treasure (gold chains, silks, strings of pearls and gems, etc.) hanging over the edge in a "skirt" so that you only needed to animate the Goblar legs around the edges. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

I realise that actually replicating Greasus' tabletop model would have been difficult difficult, lemon difficult. But being carried has very different connotations than being pushed around on a cart.

Greasus chooses to be carried. He has deemed himself to be too rich to walk; as implemented, he comes off as too fat to walk.

• IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Simone said the Nurglings have drastically simplified skeletons where as Gnoblars have their standard humanoid skeleton, and that’s why they couldn’t make Greasus work but got the Palanquins working.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    I have a fair amount of trust that the animators know better the time costs of these various things than we do.

On the game side, gosh could nurgle have the first corruption mechanic on the map I'll like to use? Vc felt too slow, didn't play enough skaven but I never felt like I worried about it's corruption in campaigns, did any others have a good map taint mechanic and I just missed it? Or does everyone also think it's been kinda nothing/just gotta do some cleaning when you take a chaos or vc spot.

edited November 2021
    Iblis wrote: »
    Simone said the Nurglings have drastically simplified skeletons where as Gnoblars have their standard humanoid skeleton, and that’s why they couldn’t make Greasus work but got the Palanquins working.

I have no problem with them not being able to replicate Greasus' model, and having to come up with an alternative.

I don't think they chose a good alternative.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Nurgle Roster Reveal. No units that hadn't already been spotted in the trailer/screenshots.
    • Interesting that Palanquins of Nurgle are in as a mount supported by "a carpet of Nurglings", considering that for Greasus Goldtooth they said they couldn't do a carpet of Gnoblars.
    • The Exalted Great Unclean Ones with the lore of Death seem to have the hooded head option, which is a neat way to visually separate them from the lore of Nurgle casters.
    • Cultists are not wizards. While the glimpse of the Slaanesh Cultist made her look like a melee blender, Nurgle's lad looks like a zombie putting on airs. I assume he'll be focussed on buffing in battle, but even the blog notes that they're better suited to the campaign map.
    • All Nurgle daemons (so... 99% of the roster) have Poison! attacks and Cloud of Flies (which increases Melee Defense the longer they're in combat).
    • Exalted Plaguebearers throw Death's Heads "as they close". I assume this will work like the Chameleon Skink Stalkers' exploding blowpipe attack.

Carpet?

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Hmmm, yeah maybe I could come around on "Vampire Counts with poison and artillery and no fast cav"

Just in general though, it sounds like basically every WH3 roster would stomp those from WH1 and 2? At least more super sounding units, maybe the numbers don't play that way though. The series definitely has power creep though, not that it's a terrible thing, as it's a fun game first, competitive is less of a direct concern and I think leans hard on the cost of units to make it work.

It’s really hard to over estimate the power of direct fire AP ranged damage.

Hellblaster volleyguns can two to three shot giants. A line of handgunners will two or three volley a vampire count general.

Now maybe in MP they will be a problem but I suspect they will have all the same problems that things have against empire that all the “super” armies have right now against empire.

Now if they have a lot of flying units maybe they get away with it. But like… artillery + super units is just dwarves or orcs if you spend enough money on your army. (Depending on if it’s super infantry or super monsters)

wbBv3fj.png
    Apparently they have changed Kairos’ starting army. Instead of the two Screamers he gets Pink Horrors, a Soul Grinder, and a Burning Chariot. Which is good, his previous starting army seemed really weak considering Kairos is a magical power house rather than a beat stick (and he won’t start with his crazier magical bullshit).

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

Carpet?

It matches the drapes. :P

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Curious when they're going to preview Be'lakor.

Sorry, the secret lord.

Which we all know is going to be Be'lakor.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Curious when they're going to preview Be'lakor.

Sorry, the secret lord.

Which we all know is going to be Be'lakor.

Well, obviously Slannesh is next. So after them

• danxdanx Registered User regular
    They might keep him until just before youtubers torment us with their early access coverage as a final marketing push. So mid January.

I'm expecting them to go quiet for a bit soon before dialing it up again around then for the final month.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Also, I'm secretly hoping it's Nagash with some weird hybrid Vampire Count/Tomb King list.

Hey, it's possible. Someone at CA has a serious hard on for Undead.

It's a very weird circumstance, because they've stated they're only gonna have six races in at start. But if it's Be'lakor as Daemons Undivided, he will effectively be a new race? But without any unique units. But he'll still need like... an entirely new technology tree and unique campaign mechanics. Would be the same with Nagash as well really, though I assume Nagash is coming eventually since the Vampire Coast DLC epilogues hint at Nagash and Drachenfells.

Be'lakor does seem to be the shoe-in though given the hidden message in the first Warhammer 3 trailer was "YURI IS THE DAEMON PRINCE." I don't see it really being anyone else with a hint that blatant.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    On the one hand I'm a bit disappointed that the best god is the one I have to wait the longest to learn about their mechanics

On the other hand, at least they've saved the best for last.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    edited November 2021
    danx wrote: »
    They might keep him until just before youtubers torment us with their early access coverage as a final marketing push. So mid January.

I'm expecting them to go quiet for a bit soon before dialing it up again around then for the final month.

CA is also a company that (thankfully) respects a solid Christmas break, largely shutting down over the holidays. I'd expect to see Slaanesh revealed, blogs on the Legendary Lords' mechanics that we haven't gotten yet, and maybe a bit of campaign map stuff by mid December. Then a break, then January reveals of Be'lakor, detailed campaign map, campaign mechanics (diplomacy overhaul?), and then into gameplay previews as we enter the last few weeks.

//

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGf5q_4Jxhs

Oh, gosh! Those animations! Nurgle certainly got a lot of loving, and I love it!

LordSolarMacharius on
  • danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I might have to play nurgle first now. Those animations are too good to pass up. They give Nurgle daemons (Nurglings in particular) a lot of personality. The other daemon factions (so far) look cool but those Nurgle daemons look like they're having a blast.

When the nurglings join up into a whip and slap fools. :+1: Also that cheeky hi five. :biggrin:

danx on
    There’s also the Nurgling Voltron where they form into the vague shape of a man which is seen in the previous trailer and people thought it might be a separate unit.

The work they put into the Nurgle stuff is pretty amazing. Makes me somewhat jealous as a Tzeentch dork. Though I’ll play everyone eventually.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    The chunkier plaguebearers look really cool.

H9f4bVe.png
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    I started out pretty uninterested in playing any of the chaos factions, but the trailers and campaign mechanics have really turned me around. Nurgle looks completely awesome, Slaneesh is going to have to put up a really good showing to compete with them for my first playthrough.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I'm really curious what they're going to do with Slaanesh honestly.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    They've hinted that Slaanesh might be able to perform normal diplomacy (where as the other chaos gods have to deal with most factions automatically declaring war on them). So they might have some mechanics baked around that.

edited November 2021
    I say I'll play Tzeentch or Nurgle first, but I know I'll end up playing Khorne first.

Those skulls aren't going to collect themselves.

I've always liked Khornes sheer simplicity. No magic. No ranged. You have a sword or an axe. There's an enemy with a head over there. Relieve them of it.

-Loki- on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »
    They've hinted that Slaanesh might be able to perform normal diplomacy (where as the other chaos gods have to deal with most factions automatically declaring war on them). So they might have some mechanics baked around that.

'Normal' is not a word I would expect to be ascribed to Slaanesh.

On the surface it'll seem normal.

But it'll be secret weird pervert diplomacy behind closed doors, you may depend upon it.

H9f4bVe.png
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I'm all on for Ogre Kingdoms or Nurgle while my coop budy is for Kislev but you know Slaanesh is interesting.

A lot of games before probably shied away due to sexual nature but I'm intrigued how they'll execute the faction. They are definitely a unique aesthetic to be sure.

The newer Slaanesh sculpts didn't really do the weird sexual thing, and I assume they're using those as their basis.

They removed that from the Slaanesh range long ago, at least visually from the models.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    slaanesh is just the god of excess now

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Well, they are more androgynous now. Slaanesh that is.

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    They can still be "sexy" without being literally covered in boobs like the older models.

Surprising that the Exalted Keeper of Secrets straight up looks like Shalaxi Hellbane (a special character from Age of Sigmar/40k, with a spear that normal KoSs can't have).

After how fantastic the Nurgle Soulgrinder looked I was hoping that the Slaaneshi one would get a bit more loving, but it appears to be more in line with the Khorne and Tzeentch ones (just the head and right hand swapped). Also appears to lack a ranged attack, meaning that Slaanesh looks like a roster with absolutely zero range (outside of spells).

And confirmation that Marauders of Slaanesh come in three variants (Sword-claw, Spear-claw, Hellscourge whip).

• FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »

Alright yeah, this is all looking really alien and amazing and fun. It's going to be bonkers when it comes out, and I'm all for it. I admire their commitment to having full lore voiceover to the entire thing too, as silly as it is.

I’m wondering if the Exalted Keeper of Secrets is going to be an anti-large monster. Shalaxi’s gimmick is hunting Bloodthirsters if I recall and spears are typically anti-large in this series.

edited November 2021
    Wait a minute, Nurgle isn't the oldest Chaos God. Tzeentch is. Nurgle is the second youngest!

Edit: 2 notes, the first is that I thought that the Fiends would be covered, but they seem to coincide with their current model incarnation which has nude breasts. Might just be smooth though.

The second is that it would be real weird if Khorne had ranged weapons and Slaanesh didn't.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Wait a minute, Nurgle isn't the oldest Chaos God. Tzeentch is. Nurgle is the second youngest!

Edit: 2 notes, the first is that I thought that the Fiends would be covered, but they seem to coincide with their current model incarnation which has nude breasts. Might just be smooth though.

The second is that it would be real weird if Khorne had ranged weapons and Slaanesh didn't.

To be fair, time does not actually work in the Chaos Realms, and also that's the sort of thing a Chaos God would lie about.

The last rosters leave me kind of cold. Nurgle looks pretty boring to me unit wise and while I like Slaanesh's designs (love those chariots), they also don't seem to have that much going on.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    That's the general problem with daemon rosters. They're all shaped by the will of their gods. In Nurgle's case that means everyone is a jolly festering pile of pus with a few insects&frogs thrown in to make it at least slightly interesting. For slaanesh it's pink genderqueer out of a "gladiatorial crabmonsters"-theme sex dungeon.
    Not even Tzeentch (the Lord of Change) has that much variety, even if his tastes range from mystic knights riding demondiscs to bird-demons and chittering horrors blubbering along while throwing magic fire.

The rosters with most variety are probably Cathay (although they're pretty similarish in that their slow units are fast and their fast units are slow) and Ogres. Kislev is somewhere in the middle, where someone decided that their 16th century russian army wasn't complete without a lot more bears and ice.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
This discussion has been closed.