As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D Discussion] 5th Edition HD Remaster Coming in 2024, Entering the Disney Vault in 2025

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    The best rip I ever had on a gm was when I inferred that the chimera we’d come to fight was in fact just a very sick lion, sick with cancer. The extra “heads” were just Timor’s, it’s flame breath was actually it vomiting from a compromised immune system.

I knew the party was all I on it when one of the other players said “we have to steal his oxygen tanks, they’re valuable.”

The salt was real my freinds

• Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    so it's been a hot minute since I posted here (used to be arcanistheimpotent) and a *lot* of stuff has happened in my life, kind of edging D&D and roleplaying games out

I don't know how many people here have this experience, but figured I'd see if this was something that maybe resonated:

I ended up transitioning at the beginning of the year (shocker to those who knew me, lol) and, luckily, thanks to my D&D experience I already had a lot of voice training (to passing out the gate, basically). The thing is, what ended up happening is I uh... can no longer really access my old voice after about a year of just never using it, which makes running my existing campaign kinda *weird* on top of all the other stuff tied up in identity issues.

so like, I guess what I'm asking is if there are any trans folx who ran into something like this, or anyone who knows someone and can relate experiences that way, or maybe had something happen to alter their voice permanently that made acclimating back into semi-regular gaming difficult and how you combatted it

well and also to say hey again and that I want to re-engage with the forums again now that things are kinda settled and saw this thread was still churning and burning!

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Anyone that would hold it against you that you can't use your old voice is a goose.

I'm garbage at voices to begin with (i have like one alternate that i use for gnomes and goblins that works ok), and all my other NPCs sound the same. It's not a prerequisite to be a Critical Role style voice actor to DM.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
    Oh yeah no one has bullied me saying I can't GM, it's all me lol

Like I've lost the ability to talk in a male register! And due to my being a perfectionist I want to be able to be immersive (it's what led me to doing voice training in the first place, doing voices across the sexes) so figuring out how to do male voices has been a struggle and awkward for me I guess and holding me back

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    so it's been a hot minute since I posted here (used to be arcanistheimpotent) and a *lot* of stuff has happened in my life, kind of edging D&D and roleplaying games out

I don't know how many people here have this experience, but figured I'd see if this was something that maybe resonated:

I ended up transitioning at the beginning of the year (shocker to those who knew me, lol) and, luckily, thanks to my D&D experience I already had a lot of voice training (to passing out the gate, basically). The thing is, what ended up happening is I uh... can no longer really access my old voice after about a year of just never using it, which makes running my existing campaign kinda *weird* on top of all the other stuff tied up in identity issues.

so like, I guess what I'm asking is if there are any trans folx who ran into something like this, or anyone who knows someone and can relate experiences that way, or maybe had something happen to alter their voice permanently that made acclimating back into semi-regular gaming difficult and how you combatted it

well and also to say hey again and that I want to re-engage with the forums again now that things are kinda settled and saw this thread was still churning and burning!

I don't have this experience personally, but the book Gender Euphoria just recently came out, and in it Laura Kate Dale wrote an essay about coming to terms with her pre-transition voice, and how she found a path to feeling comfortable around the circumstances to use it. It's not exactly DnD related, but I feel like its pretty close to the topic in question.

Edit: I guess, for her it seemed less a physical issue of being able to reach that register, and more an emotional issue. But maybe it will have something of note?

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Brody wrote: »

I don't have this experience personally, but the book Gender Euphoria just recently came out, and in it Laura Kate Dale wrote an essay about coming to terms with her pre-transition voice, and how she found a path to feeling comfortable around the circumstances to use it. It's not exactly DnD related, but I feel like its pretty close to the topic in question.

Edit: I guess, for her it seemed less a physical issue of being able to reach that register, and more an emotional issue. But maybe it will have something of note?

I think if I'm being honest, there might be an emotional component too, but I notice my register has shifted much higher just through habituation with a different resonance. Voice training is pretty wild

It would be cool to be able to context switch, so thank you for the recommendation!

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Don't refer to the DM's cool and creepy ooze as jizz then. It seems fairly straightforward. :biggrin:

Laura Bailey is incapable of this request

it's amazing that its Liam who started this

override367 on
    edited November 2021
    DM's mood over how we're bypassing a very high damage trap: exasperated

YSWZ0rO.png

Polymorph into a whale and stuff party down mouth, fly cast by wizard, go through fire gate

override367 on
  • ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    Hello all! I'm in a campaign and I found a +1 flail. YAY!
    The flail has some flair though and is an iron bound manuscript (about medieval martial arts techniques) hooked to a chain which will sometime speak a phrase from the book depending on the circumstances.

For instance, I crit missed an attack and hit my foot and the book said 'ones weapon should never be used against ones self'.

What I am looking for is more one liners that one might find in a medieval book on hand to hand combat that I can throw out during sessions.
    Preferably humorous.

I'll start:
    "What does not hurt does not teach."
    "Distance is sometimes the most advantageous course of action."

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I could not play a weapon like that straight to save my life. Within two encounters it'd be going "hang in there, baby" and "you don't need to be crazy to work here, but it helps" and then devolve into absurdity ("did you know peanuts aren't actually nuts? They're legumes").

Glal wrote: »
    I could not play a weapon like that straight to save my life. Within two encounters it'd be going "hang in there, baby" and "you don't need to be crazy to work here, but it helps" and then devolve into absurdity ("did you know peanuts aren't actually nuts? They're legumes").

I see you too have met Lilarcor.

steam_sig.png
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »

I think someday I might give a villain a magic weapon that shouts misleading statistics. "You know 70% of all wizard falling injuries are actually received after they cast Slow Fall. Do your own research!"

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular

YSWZ0rO.png

Polymorph into a whale and stuff party down mouth, fly cast by wizard, go through fire gate

Fire trap breaks polymorph, polymorphed person is ripped into pieces as their shrinking form can't handle the swallowed party members!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    So I'm designing an archfey that I may or may not ever use in a game and vaguely remembered that a nymph in the 4E Monster Manual 3 had a flavorful power called "Whisper Game". The following is my attempt to create something similar but not identical to the 4E power in 5E.

Whisper Game. When an enemy of Whisper begins its turn within 120 feet of her it must succeed on a DC 17 Wisdom saving throw or take 4d4 psychic damage and have disadvantage on attack rolls and saving throws it makes until the end of its next turn. A creature that fails this saving throw may choose to both succeed instead and cause the next creature that must make this saving throw to do so with disadvantage and subtract 1d4 from the result with no option to automatically succeed.

So, basically, a player can choose to avoid to the effect of Whisper Game entirely but make it more likely that the next one in intiative order will fail. It feels flavorful, but I figured I'd post it here to get to feedback.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

YSWZ0rO.png

The party have now got the attention of Kapptin Eyhabb, creator of fine fire traps from their workshop at Hell's Heart and hater of whales

They have now dedicated their life to trapping the party

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    edited November 2021
    Bel practically fell off his pit fiend throne when a sperm whale flew into his workshop and disgorged Zariel's latest playthings

override367 on
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    So a friend of mine has been workshopping a character for an upcoming campaign to specifically spite the gm since prior to this the gm had built a series of borderline useless characters during a 2 year long mad mage campaign (his present character is a triton samurai who uses push actions only, and that *really* hurts in a party of four on the last floor).

At present we have two possibilities: a cleric of beshaba who attributes everything to being the will of the gods (gm is n atheist who tries to bring that into fr games) and the other is a rogue who is going to keep using one object for everything like someone trying to brute force puzzle solve an adventure game.

Any other suggestions for useless annoying characters?

edited November 2021
    I'm an atheist too and part of the appeal of FR to me is that the gods are real and have machinations that are petty but their followers present as somehow profound

I don't like it when people take on such a setting and drag their baggage into it, Salvatore is particularly guilty of this lately because of his dissolution with Catholicism, he's got a wild streak of "yeah but what if the GOOD gods were actually EVIL", and has entire populations of atheists. In a world where praying real hard makes bread appear and within living memory the gods have been cast down to walk as mortals for a brief time

as to your issue, I'm not sure if solving out of game frustration with ingame spite is ever a good decision

override367 on
    Sounds more like a "don't play with a goose" out of game solution.

steam_sig.png
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Edit Wrong thread but also don't waste time being spiteful.

Oy.

joshgotro on
    edited November 2021
    Gaddez wrote: »
    So a friend of mine has been workshopping a character for an upcoming campaign to specifically spite the gm since prior to this the gm had built a series of borderline useless characters during a 2 year long mad mage campaign (his present character is a triton samurai who uses push actions only, and that *really* hurts in a party of four on the last floor).

At present we have two possibilities: a cleric of beshaba who attributes everything to being the will of the gods (gm is n atheist who tries to bring that into fr games) and the other is a rogue who is going to keep using one object for everything like someone trying to brute force puzzle solve an adventure game.

Any other suggestions for useless annoying characters?

Personally this sounds like someone I wouldn't want to play with anymore, but I know real life doesn't always work out that way. With the knowledge that we can't all just go and find a half dozen other friends to play D&D with whenever we have a personality conflict, I'll offer some ideas:
    • An Evocation wizard that only casts True Strike.
    • A Moon druid that only wildshapes into tiny creatures.
    • A Knowledge cleric that argues with every single thing an NPC says and always spends their Channel Divinity on the Read Thoughts ability, even in combat.
    • A vanilla PHB 1 ranger that took oozes as their favored enemy, and interrogates every character they meet to find out if they're secretly an ooze.

And of course for the extra layer of eye-rolling, make sure that you insist on keeping your character class secret - because it's a really important part of your character's backstory - but make sure that secret is your character's entire personality.

Denada on
    edited November 2021
    A PHB ooze ranger that is plasmoid race so they themselves are an ooze and their personal quest is to seek ooze love

Ask if you can roll to flirt with every viscous fluid the party encounters

override367 on
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Bel practically fell off his pit fiend throne when a sperm whale flew into his workshop and disgorged Zariel's latest playthings

"Oh no, not again" thought Bel's vase of fire petunias

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    A PHB ooze ranger that is plasmoid race so they themselves are an ooze and their personal quest is to seek ooze love

I want to be blade, but an ooze. The day slimer

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981

"I check for buckets."
    "How wet is it in here?"
    "Do I hear any splorshing?"
    "Is the helmet bucket-sized?"
    "Are they sweaty? Like really sweaty or just normal sweaty? Should I roll Insight or Medicine to see if they're holding back their sweat? I'll just roll both."
    "I cast Find Traps to detect buckets. Well to my people buckets could be traps. It depends on the lid."
    "Does the ale appear sentient?"

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    There's that one Cleric or Paladin (I forget which) build in Xanadar's Guide that makes you incredible at healing and mitigating damage but takes away a bunch of those benefits if you attack anyone. So just make your pacifist healer and insert yourself in between the monsters and the party every time they're getting ready to roll initiative and insist that you can talk it out and come to some sort of compromise without resorting to violence.

Kenku who went deaf many years ago so only learned to mimic three phrases:

Polly want a goodberry
    Look out! Oh wait, that's nothing
    *Opening to Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel*

Any kind of poorly played kenku, really. Just make random sounds and gestures whenever people interact with you, with no connection to what's happening.

"Are we under attack??"
    *airplane sounds*
    "...is that a yes?"
    *hammer striking anvil*
    "I'm going away now."
    *long slurping sound*

Download a sound effects board and hit buttons at random

Ignore the game entirely, just play with your phone and hit a sound effect when someone asks you anything.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    If I was ever going to play a Kenku I would have them be modelled after stories of great heroes of past, and as a result they only say catchphrases.

And then I would try to develop/design a sound-board that only had catchphrases from 80's & 90's action movies.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    I'd want to have a familiar that translates their sounds to the rest of the group poorly.

Zonugal wrote: »
    If I was ever going to play a Kenku I would have them be modelled after stories of great heroes of past, and as a result they only say catchphrases.

And then I would try to develop/design a sound-board that only had catchphrases from 80's & 90's action movies.
    Look, we already have a Sophie at our games and she doesn't even need to play a kenku. Or D&D.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Zonugal wrote: »

Darmok at Tinagra!

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Bad character ideas? Warlock signs a pact for NFT spells

j8ukvhsbl4lb.png

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Aarakocra Barbarian who talks like Donald Duck, including the furious quacking when entering Rage

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I still want to play a mindflayer bard/wizard/sorcerer being it's story hook is because someone messed up the carefully laid plan they feel the need to go forth and find out why but disguised as whatever using it's psionic powers to
    not look like a mindflayer
    The other is a changeling but how I wanted to play it was in line with the western style D&D I have been trying to make for years

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Scribe Wizard whose only goal is to venture into the lost and forgotten libraries of the ancient wizards and repair the grimoires they find there.
    Not to copy the spells or steal the knowledge.
    Just to make sure the books are kept up.

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Scribe Wizard whose only goal is to venture into the lost and forgotten libraries of the ancient wizards and repair the grimoires they find there.

Yoink

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »

Yoink

The liche walks into the room
    "What are you doing?
    "Well, it looked like your spell book binding was a bit aged, you know, the whole immortal undead thing and all, so I brought my binding kit thought I'd tidy it up a bit for you.
    "...
    "Hey! is that a First Edition Retconomicon? I've been wanting to see if I could get the book to undo unwriting itself from reality, but it's so hard to find a copy anymore...

This discussion has been closed.