As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Streaming Services]: Thread not available, price also increased

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Live action Bebop data dog episode
    What was up with the naked people? Was that really necessary? You don't need to be naked for a clean room. I fact, it is less clean.
    I think it's less "clean room" and more so they can't steal by hiding vials of the expensive drug in their clothes. Ignoring nature's pocket of course.
    Were they blind too? It looked like their eyes were sewn shut. That also confused me.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Kasyn wrote: »
    OK, have now seen the whole thing. Full season spoilers for Bebop (and ancillary spoilers for the anime):
    1) I actually think it is a good series for the majority of the run time. Would think more fondly of it were a different IP clearly inspired by Bebop instead of actually being Bebop.
    But the basic dynamics between Spike, Jet, and Faye work and I think those three actors do a good job. There are some absolutely atrocious lines (particularly for Daniella Pineda but she does her best to sell them). The bounties of the week episodes are all at least serviceable and you could build a show out of those dynamics.

But holy shit are Vicious and Julia terribly written and performed. They undermine the entire show. Vicious is a boring one note monster with a very underdeveloped daddy complex like a thousand other villains. Juila I don't even fucking know. Her personality shifts rapidly all the time. Best case is they decide that being a victim of domestic abuse made her cold and emotionless and amoral. And that highly problematic message is the best case scenario. In both cases they decided to give a cipher from the original series an actual personality and made them less interesting as a result, which is amazing. Anyway this is all a giant problem. Especially if we're supposed to believe Julia as the primary antagonist for season two.

Ed needs to be toned down to make her work as a live action character and they...did not choose to do that in those 20 seconds. Hopefully that kid can shift gears because if you're going to do anything with Ed you have to be able to sell her departure and that makes downshifting her into a more realistic portrayal. Probably the most actually affecting scene from the whole show. "Call Me Call Me" helps a lot there. I don't think they used the soundtrack very well either unless they were literally replicating the cues from the original series.

Overall like, 3/5. Would maybe be 3.5 if it weren't Bebop.
    See, I agree about the main cast (although they suffer under the writing more often than they're able to elevate it) but that's just not enough to carry the show for me. I think they were right to lean into the bounty-hunting aspect when they were casting about for ways to build off of source material that's pretty lean, but it didn't ever really add up to much, I felt. They cash in some of the superficial sights and sounds of the original series but very rarely do they ever match any of the impact or subtlety.

100% on Vicious and Julia. If they actually had a compelling direction to take those characters, I could see getting around their awful performances and dialogue. Or if I didn't care for the liberties they were taking, but the performances stood out, I could see that starting to work, too. But they have bad ideas for these characters and execute them terribly. These are potent characters in the original series, and to see them done so poorly here really lessens the whole enterprise as a result because of how large they loom within Spike's backstory and arc. (Although there's definitely a case to make about anime Vicious actually not being a very good or interesting character and benefiting from the same kind of shine that original trilogy Boba Fett enjoyed.)

Ed...I just can't even. Even in the original series, Ed wasn't like that all the time. I truly believe there's a version of live action Ed that works, it's just very, very obvious that 1:1 reproduction of anime Ed at her goofiest is not it. Same goes for a lot of the show! I can see a strong majority of this adaptation working if they made a few different choices, if the action were consistently slick, and if the world-building weren't so persistently undermined by the writing and performances. Blegh. I think it's a real shame.
    Vicious and Julia are not great characters in the anime, but it's fine because they have maybe a half hour of screen time combined in the entire show. Ideally your bit players have as much character as say, VT, but it's fine if they don't.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Cowboy Bebop feels like a fan film with a budget. Cringe dialogue. Bad acting. I feel like I'm watching the world's most elaborate cosplay.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Vicious is too campy in this version. At least they didn't have the bird on his shoulder.
    Still, I am enjoying the show.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Watching the Woody+Kelly wedding in Cheers

jfc this show did comedy well on every level

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    OK, have now seen the whole thing. Full season spoilers for Bebop (and ancillary spoilers for the anime):
    1) I actually think it is a good series for the majority of the run time. Would think more fondly of it were a different IP clearly inspired by Bebop instead of actually being Bebop.
    But the basic dynamics between Spike, Jet, and Faye work and I think those three actors do a good job. There are some absolutely atrocious lines (particularly for Daniella Pineda but she does her best to sell them). The bounties of the week episodes are all at least serviceable and you could build a show out of those dynamics.

But holy shit are Vicious and Julia terribly written and performed. They undermine the entire show. Vicious is a boring one note monster with a very underdeveloped daddy complex like a thousand other villains. Juila I don't even fucking know. Her personality shifts rapidly all the time. Best case is they decide that being a victim of domestic abuse made her cold and emotionless and amoral. And that highly problematic message is the best case scenario. In both cases they decided to give a cipher from the original series an actual personality and made them less interesting as a result, which is amazing. Anyway this is all a giant problem. Especially if we're supposed to believe Julia as the primary antagonist for season two.

Ed needs to be toned down to make her work as a live action character and they...did not choose to do that in those 20 seconds. Hopefully that kid can shift gears because if you're going to do anything with Ed you have to be able to sell her departure and that makes downshifting her into a more realistic portrayal. Probably the most actually affecting scene from the whole show. "Call Me Call Me" helps a lot there. I don't think they used the soundtrack very well either unless they were literally replicating the cues from the original series.

Overall like, 3/5. Would maybe be 3.5 if it weren't Bebop.
    See, I agree about the main cast (although they suffer under the writing more often than they're able to elevate it) but that's just not enough to carry the show for me. I think they were right to lean into the bounty-hunting aspect when they were casting about for ways to build off of source material that's pretty lean, but it didn't ever really add up to much, I felt. They cash in some of the superficial sights and sounds of the original series but very rarely do they ever match any of the impact or subtlety.

100% on Vicious and Julia. If they actually had a compelling direction to take those characters, I could see getting around their awful performances and dialogue. Or if I didn't care for the liberties they were taking, but the performances stood out, I could see that starting to work, too. But they have bad ideas for these characters and execute them terribly. These are potent characters in the original series, and to see them done so poorly here really lessens the whole enterprise as a result because of how large they loom within Spike's backstory and arc. (Although there's definitely a case to make about anime Vicious actually not being a very good or interesting character and benefiting from the same kind of shine that original trilogy Boba Fett enjoyed.)

Ed...I just can't even. Even in the original series, Ed wasn't like that all the time. I truly believe there's a version of live action Ed that works, it's just very, very obvious that 1:1 reproduction of anime Ed at her goofiest is not it. Same goes for a lot of the show! I can see a strong majority of this adaptation working if they made a few different choices, if the action were consistently slick, and if the world-building weren't so persistently undermined by the writing and performances. Blegh. I think it's a real shame.
    Vicious and Julia are not great characters in the anime, but it's fine because they have maybe a half hour of screen time combined in the entire show. Ideally your bit players have as much character as say, VT, but it's fine if they don't.
    They're not great characters but they're effective ones. Anime Vicious has menace, the live action version robs him of that. Anime Julia is credible as Spike's sort-of-femme-fatale, and you buy that she's from that world and that she's the type of woman somebody like Spike would risk everything on. None of these qualities are present in the live action versions, and what they replace them with is not only not enough to justify their extra screentime, but doesn't even serve what limited purposes they did in the anime story. Live action Julia is somehow more of an arbitrary plot device than anime Julia.

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Aphostile wrote: »
    I can’t believe it’s the year 2021 and we still need to have the “people are different than you and like different things” discussions.

I didn’t like the live adaptation, but it wasn’t some sort of travesty upon the world. I can understand why someone might just like to watch it just like I can understand why someone might watch and enjoy WoT.

This directed at anyone here, or is there some sort of fanbase-driven shame campaign directed toward the creators that I'm not aware of? I don't really think that line has been crossed with that adaptation yet, at least not as far as I've heard. A lot of people being loudly disappointed doesn't really invalidate anyone's opinion of the show.

Yes. It was directed at you. I just didn’t feel like quoting your big block after someone else just did.

Gotcha. I mean, the content of my post is directed at what I viewed as issues with the show, there was no personal attack on those who found it enjoyable, and I wouldn't interpret my surprise at the positive side of the mixed reception it's received as such, either.

My negative response to something doesn't and isn't meant to negate that experience for someone else. Responding to my take by rolling out the idea that everyone is entitled to their opinions is just kind of weird when I never suggested otherwise. People can still talk about media on its merits while everyone agrees there's subjectivity involved. Otherwise you're just sort of shutting down discussion and my perspective here, which I guess is pretty ironic given how you went about it.
    I...don't understand the positive reviews Bebop is getting. Did y'all get a different series or something?

You start off by essentially saying everyone who enjoyed the show is wrong. Like there was no room for anything other than what you are putting out there. No you weren't personally attacking anyone. You were engaging in the kind of tiresome elitism around what is "good" and what isn't that was being called out though. There is nothing meaningfully gained or put forth by implying people are wrong for enjoying something you didn't.

Yeah, that's not what I'm saying there, and it's not what I'm "essentially" saying either. I can say that I was surprised so many people liked a thing, and that I disliked a thing, without going all the way into saying they're wrong for it. A and B, sure. But C doesn't follow.

Hey though, I can see where one could take that from my comments and I'll try to phrase things more diplomatically. I don't agree that it follows from what I typed, though, and it's definitely not how I intended anything.

Also, to be clear, we're talking about a show where this is a thing:

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I uhh what? What did I just watch Kasyn?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    shryke wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    I think back on Fringe sometimes and think what a goddamn mess that turned out. It's got the same problem Lost does imo in that parts of it are really good but the whole is just so unfocused and uneven it never quite gels.

Throw Alias in that pile.

I wonder if there's any connection? :razz:

EDIT: To be fair, it was the weaker plot wise, but it did manage to waste some awesome talent with Garber, Rifkin, Lumbly and early Cooper, and the end was just awful.

The funny thing is I don't think JJ had any say in the day-to-day operations of those series. Or at least not some of them.

Fringe is so weird in that it starts kinda shaky then coalesces around an actual interesting core idea by the end of S1 and is off to the races for a few seasons and then basically falls apart again before the end.

I am a weirdo who genuinely enjoys season 5. Season 4 is shaky though. But it does have the Stephen Root and his wife time loop episode, which is possibly my favorite episode of that show. The only other immediate contender being the one where Olivia abducts Andre Royo's cabbie in the other universe.

I also legit liked season 5, hi five.

It was a step down from the previous seasons, but I felt it ended satisfactorily.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Live action Bebop data dog episode
    What was up with the naked people? Was that really necessary? You don't need to be naked for a clean room. I fact, it is less clean.
    I think it's less "clean room" and more so they can't steal by hiding vials of the expensive drug in their clothes. Ignoring nature's pocket of course.
    Were they blind too? It looked like their eyes were sewn shut. That also confused me.
    Yes they were. Since Red Eye is sprayed onto the eyeball, I assume it was to prevent them from using the drug, even accidentally.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    Saw the first episode of Bebop. There was one small, particular thing from the anime that I missed.
    As I recall (it's been over a decade and a half) Azimov had more of a fight with Spike while hopped up on Red-eye. And even though the drug gave him supernatural reaction time, adrenaline strength and quickness, Spike still wins the fight. It basically just gave him a slow-mo, extra detailed view of how much better at fighting Spike is as he kicked his ads.

I probably extrapolated more from a very short fight than the rest of the world to pick out something only my teenage self would think was cool, but I was still disappointed that we didn't really get any of it.

Overall it was very enjoyable. I especially liked them showing off their budget with the closeups of the controls on Spike's little ship, and Cho's abs. He really took the physical aspects of the role seriously.

I never really enjoyed anything about Vicious and Julia in the original, so I can see why they would want to make something more out of them. Adaptation and writing new material appear to be very different skill sets, though.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Tarantio wrote: »
    Saw the first episode of Bebop. There was one small, particular thing from the anime that I missed.
    As I recall (it's been over a decade and a half) Azimov had more of a fight with Spike while hopped up on Red-eye. And even though the drug gave him supernatural reaction time, adrenaline strength and quickness, Spike still wins the fight. It basically just gave him a slow-mo, extra detailed view of how much better at fighting Spike is as he kicked his ads.

I probably extrapolated more from a very short fight than the rest of the world to pick out something only my teenage self would think was cool, but I was still disappointed that we didn't really get any of it.

Overall it was very enjoyable. I especially liked them showing off their budget with the closeups of the controls on Spike's little ship, and Cho's abs. He really took the physical aspects of the role seriously.

I never really enjoyed anything about Vicious and Julia in the original, so I can see why they would want to make something more out of them. Adaptation and writing new material appear to be very different skill sets, though.

Minor correction from the original
    Azimov gets the jump on Spike while on red eye and, juiced up, is about to break his neck one-handed. Azimov does get heavily dependent on red eye and Spike realizes it, so when they fight later Spike has already swiped Azimov's red eye dispenser (during their earlier contact). Without the drug, Spike takes him apart in hand-to-hand as Azimov is desperately trying to track the fight and react.

Without the addiction to red eye, Azimov seems like he's a nasty piece of work on his own. On it, he's all but unstoppable for a single person. But coming down off it is a rough business, so it leaves him pretty helpless.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Honestly the more I watch nu Bebop the more it feels a victim of the Netflix curse of needing X episodes at Y minutes long.

Almost every episode I’ve seen would’ve being more fun at half the length, usually by cutting out vicious scenes.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It appears that corporate pressure has won, and Dave Chappelle's TERF position has been defended.

Per ABC News, a news agency you all know about:

"Two former Netflix employees who criticized anti-transgender comments on Dave Chappelle’s TV special are dropping labor complaints and one has resigned from the company, it was announced Monday."

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/trans-netflix-workers-drop-labor-complaint-resigns-81343704

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Well that fucking sucks

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    They send me emails every day trying to get me back

Not fucking likely

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    It fits really well, damn

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I think back on Fringe sometimes and think what a goddamn mess that turned out. It's got the same problem Lost does imo in that parts of it are really good but the whole is just so unfocused and uneven it never quite gels.

Throw Alias in that pile.

I wonder if there's any connection? :razz:

EDIT: To be fair, it was the weaker plot wise, but it did manage to waste some awesome talent with Garber, Rifkin, Lumbly and early Cooper, and the end was just awful.

The funny thing is I don't think JJ had any say in the day-to-day operations of those series. Or at least not some of them.

Fringe is so weird in that it starts kinda shaky then coalesces around an actual interesting core idea by the end of S1 and is off to the races for a few seasons and then basically falls apart again before the end.

I am a weirdo who genuinely enjoys season 5. Season 4 is shaky though. But it does have the Stephen Root and his wife time loop episode, which is possibly my favorite episode of that show. The only other immediate contender being the one where Olivia abducts Andre Royo's cabbie in the other universe.

I also legit liked season 5, hi five.

It was a step down from the previous seasons, but I felt it ended satisfactorily.

Season 5 was devoting a whole season to a sideplot you forgot you've created back in S1. Though I guess S4 was accidentally resolving your entire story when you still had a season left.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Yeah you can count me among the folks that enjoyed S5 of Fringe.
    I actually think Fringe got more and more coherent as it approached the end. I think the Lost comparison isn't even remotely fair.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    Episode 1 of live Bebop
    Didn't Spike and Jet gang up on red eye guy? That made more sense as a way to fight him.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Question about Cowboy Bebop.
    What is going on with Mustafa Shakir's acting in this? I know the guy isn't a terrible actor but all of his lines feel...off?

I'm not super familiar with the anime, I saw it a long time ago and remember none of it. Is he just carrying through the vocal affectations of Jet in the anime?

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    What is going on with Mustafa Shakir's acting in this? I know the guy isn't a terrible actor but all of his lines feel...off?

I'm not super familiar with the anime, I saw it a long time ago and remember none of it. Is he just carrying through the vocal affectations of Jet in the anime?

I actually think he's the strongest of the main three. But yeah, still not great. Honestly I chalk it up to bad writing and worse direction.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

I actually think he's the strongest of the main three. But yeah, still not great. Honestly I chalk it up to bad writing and worse direction.

I dunno, I'm finding it quite entertaining, 8 episodes in. Has kinda a Firefly feel to it (though obviously the source material predates that).

The Vicious/Julia stuff hasn't been on par with the rest, but I didn't find it terrible, though I've got no familiarity with the source.

On that, a question for someone who has watched both, how much of the original material has been covered in the live action? It's not that far off a similar runtime (26x 22m episodes vs 10x50m episodes).

Having seen the criticism of the expansion of time on those two before watching, it seems like maybe the reason the roles of those two were expanded upon was so that there was something more to deal with should it get a second season?

The one thing that weirds me out, is the prevalance of smoking. I believe this was an important character trait in the original material, but it's just weird seeing it in the current context.

• Options
    I don't know if the smoking was important in the original really. It was something the characters did, but like if you got rid of it it doesn't suddenly make them not who they were.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Isn't all the smoking a bit of the film noir homage?

• Options
    Gilgaron wrote: »

I always just thought it was an homage to old american cowboy/tough guy tropes of them all being smokers.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

I always just thought it was an homage to old american cowboy/tough guy tropes of them all being smokers.

I thought it was a reinforcement of the theme that they're all slowly killing themselves.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I thought it was because smoking makes you look cool

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

Probably all of that together. People smoked all the time in old movies and such.

• Options
    I actually thought it was a greater look at how smoking is an expression of free will... 1/3434

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

I dunno, I'm finding it quite entertaining, 8 episodes in. Has kinda a Firefly feel to it (though obviously the source material predates that).

The Vicious/Julia stuff hasn't been on par with the rest, but I didn't find it terrible, though I've got no familiarity with the source.

On that, a question for someone who has watched both, how much of the original material has been covered in the live action? It's not that far off a similar runtime (26x 22m episodes vs 10x50m episodes).

Having seen the criticism of the expansion of time on those two before watching, it seems like maybe the reason the roles of those two were expanded upon was so that there was something more to deal with should it get a second season?

The one thing that weirds me out, is the prevalance of smoking. I believe this was an important character trait in the original material, but it's just weird seeing it in the current context.

The first season of the live version covers about ten episodes of the original series. If you're asking "how did ten fifty minute episodes only cover the same number of twenty two minute episodes from the original?" then the answer is how much padding they threw in.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Every bounty of the week is taken from one episode of the original show. So they've basically done versions of 8 episodes, though only Pierrot Le Fou is broadly similar in terms of actual plot (though even that is changed in a significant way). The finale is another episode from the anime while the ninth is original material. Some of the anime episodes would be extremely silly in this adaptation.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    It appears that corporate pressure has won, and Dave Chappelle's TERF position has been defended.

"Two former Netflix employees who criticized anti-transgender comments on Dave Chappelle’s TV special are dropping labor complaints and one has resigned from the company, it was announced Monday."

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/trans-netflix-workers-drop-labor-complaint-resigns-81343704

You know what gets me about Dave Chappelle and "Cancel cUltUrE" complaints is that Dave Chappelle is the only guy to have ever canceled Dave Chappelle on Netflix. They used to have the Dave Chappelle show on Netflix for about 2 weeks last year. Then Dave complained and Netflix caved.

In fact here is a direct quote from Dave himself about the issue:
    "So you know what I did? I called them and I told them that this makes me feel bad. And you want to know what they did? They agreed that they would take it off their platform just so I could feel better."

What a Silly Goose.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Constantine smoked even though it was killing him.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »

You know what gets me about Dave Chappelle and "Cancel cUltUrE" complaints is that Dave Chappelle is the only guy to have ever canceled Dave Chappelle on Netflix. They used to have the Dave Chappelle show on Netflix for about 2 weeks last year. Then Dave complained and Netflix caved.

"So you know what I did? I called them and I told them that this makes me feel bad. And you want to know what they did? They agreed that they would take it off their platform just so I could feel better."

What a Silly Goose.

This is way the fuck out of context, he felt bad because he had been fleeced, he wasn't getting any money for his work. The show came back up after they agreed on a royalty deal.

He reduces it to that cute language as a bit during a monologue in a comedy club because "I had a financial dispute with no legal grounds to pursue it and the Netflix executives acceded to my request as a show of good faith in our future joint enterprise" doesn't make for a good story.

The story shows how much Netflix had invested into Dave being on their platform but the point your going for is completely fictional.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    That fits a lot of things lately.

Hopefully we get more specials eventually.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    New from me: In his latest comedy special, Dave Chappelle said his trans friend was hounded into suicide by other trans people.
    I couldn't find any evidence that it happened.

How unsurprising.

• Options
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Kipling217 wrote: »

What a Silly Goose.

This is way the fuck out of context, he felt bad because he had been fleeced, he wasn't getting any money for his work. The show came back up after they agreed on a royalty deal.

He reduces it to that cute language as a bit during a monologue in a comedy club because "I had a financial dispute with no legal grounds to pursue it and the Netflix executives acceded to my request as a show of good faith in our future joint enterprise" doesn't make for a good story.

The story shows how much Netflix had invested into Dave being on their platform but the point your going for is completely fictional.

Relevant links about the actual story:
    https://www.npr.org/2020/11/25/938922031/netflix-removes-chappelles-show-at-dave-chappelles-request
    "I'm begging you. If you ever liked me," he said in a video of a stand-up routine he shared on Tuesday. "Boycott Chappelle's Show. Do not watch it unless they pay me."

Chappelle was calling out the network Comedy Central, which first aired Chappelle's Show from 2003 to 2006. He said in the video the company licensed the show to Netflix and HBO Max without paying him or informing him about the deal.

Chappelle said Comedy Central was able to do so because as a young man he had been snared in an unfair contract, which allows the network to continue profiting from his show and prevents Chappelle from using its name.
    A Netflix spokesperson confirmed the company removed the show early Tuesday morning at the comedian's request after airing it for less than a month but declined to comment further. The streaming service has a robust business relationship with the comedian, reportedly paying Chappelle up to $60 million for five stand-up specials in 2016.

"That's why I f*** with Netflix, because they pay me my money, they do what they say they're gonna do," Chappelle said in the video. "And they went above and beyond what you could expect from a businessman."

Chappelle's quarrel is not a legal one — he acknowledges he signed the contract with Comedy Central. But Chappelle said he was then 28, broke and expecting a child.

"Perfectly legal," he said. "But is that right? I didn't think so either."

Chappelle's strategy is to call on his fans to stop watching the show. It is still on HBO Max as well as CBS All Access.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/chappelles-show-returns-to-netflix-with-dave-chappelles-blessing-4132206/
    ‘Chappelle’s Show’ Returns to Netflix With Dave Chappelle’s Blessing
    The comedian revealed in an Instagram post on Thursday that Comedy Central had agreed to give his license back and "paid me millions of dollars."

• Options
    So he signed a legal contract and then used fan pressure to get him a more favorable one? Oh man that poor dear.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.