As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Pokémon] Thread! Sword & Shield OUT NOW!!

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    I think mystery gift opens automatically later on, but you can unlock it 'early' in jubilife in the same way that it was unlocked in the original D/P games, with a secret password at the TV station

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Oh don't worry I'm well aware that everyone will jump down my throat about this lol. But there hasn't been a single instance of Chibi that I liked. I couldn't make it more than a couple of hours into World of Final Fantasy for the same reason. I think it's tacky looking and everything.

But luckily the in-battle models look really good and ultimately that's all that matters in a Pokemon game.

I'm with you!

Heck even when I was a kid I hated that look.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    yeah Mystery Gift unlocked for me at some point just going through the main storyline, didn't end up back at the TV station until quite a while after it popped up

• AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Beat the champion last night (kinda underleveled and with an unbalanced team, so it took a couple attempts and a lot of healing items and luck). I respect how faithful of a remake this is, but I think I'd be happier if they had made a few more changes to update it. Still, it hits me hard in my nostalgia, so I'm very pleased with it. I think my only longstanding gripe is how movement works; the slight lag on inputs combined with the 3D movement in a grid-based game makes bumping into walls a constant issue.

Oh, also, the difficulty of catching higher level stuff in the underground is a bit much. I think the concept is okay, but it's excessive. Maybe it should scale with how underleveled you are? The current system seems reasonable when I'm, like, 10 levels lower. But it's a real pain in the ass when I'm only two or three.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Why would it matter that much for people to imprt perfectly bred mons into their single-player adventure? People that into the games are gonna breeze through the main story anyway, and it's not like they've had issues with people trading legendaries or whatever between games early on.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    It doesnt really matter. It just not a new thing that they do by locking down aspects of online early.

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    It is actually hilarious how unprepared my team is for this elite 4 gauntlet + champion.

Limped through to the champion fight, but I don't think I'm actually gonna beat Cynthia unless I resort to item spam, and even that might be close.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Yeah As soon as the first 3ds version of Home (can’t remember the name) launched they’ve always had the delay for support on the new game for a few Months. Sucks, but not a surprise that it’s there again.

2021112220491000-7F4AACC644EAC4BF4E5897B413FFD611.jpg

Finally managed to get through without using items, grinding some more levels, or making a new team that didn't have 3 ground weaknesses, 0 ways to hit Spiritomb super effectively, and an Alakazam that failed to outspeed the fucking Shadow Ball Roserade. Thankfully, Calm Mind/Pain Split/Shadow Ball/Trick Room + Leftovers Mismagius carried me hard once I remembered I had the trick room TM (and it wasn't like Mystical Fire was doing much for me in this fight). Threw basically everything else at her first 4 mons (Lucario fucking owns my team as well, thankfully T-wave hit so my Mamoswine actually outsped it), then sacked someone to bring in the ghost against Milotic, who was able to boost to +6/+6 , pain splitting + lefties to keep healthy. Eventually got to a point where I could set up Trick Room, finished off the Milotic, and then OHKO'd the Garchomp under Trick Room.

Fun game! Definitely felt like playing a pokemon game from 15 years ago, only with a fresh coat of paint + some nice QoL changes (thank god for no HM slaves). I don't feel like I can judge it's merits as a remake, since I never played the originals, but I've definitely enjoyed myself so far.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Back in my day, there was no way to hit Spiritomb super effectively. Well, unless you wanted to mess around with Foresight.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I think the game looks pretty good, plays fine and i most definitely don't think it's "a shitty port of a 3DS game that only got bumped up to the Switch because Nintendo decided to go all-in on the Switch and ditch the 3DS"

and regarding the whole "it's too faithful" thing: it's a no win situation. 50% of the vocal players want a 1:1 remake and the other 50% want a complete reimagining. ok, there might be a spectrum between the two extremes, but the point stands: people would complain really loudly about whatever approach they picked.

and, as it happened since Gen2, the latest pokemon games are always the worst possible pokemon games ever.

I do agree that GF needs to up the ante and stop being weird about a ton of stuff. But they have a 100% history of being bad at programming and completely ignoring people. Those are terrible things. But the volcanic eruptions of hatred we get online every time a game is launched prolly doesn't help.

I don't mean this forum, i mean the whole internet.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I think the game looks pretty good, plays fine and i most definitely don't think it's "a shitty port of a 3DS game that only got bumped up to the Switch because Nintendo decided to go all-in on the Switch and ditch the 3DS"

and regarding the whole "it's too faithful" thing: it's a no win situation. 50% of the vocal players want a 1:1 remake and the other 50% want a complete reimagining. ok, there might be a spectrum between the two extremes, but the point stands: people would complain really loudly about whatever approach they picked.

and, as it happened since Gen2, the latest pokemon games are always the worst possible pokemon games ever.

I do agree that GF needs to up the ante and stop being weird about a ton of stuff. But they have a 100% history of being bad at programming and completely ignoring people. Those are terrible things. But the volcanic eruptions of hatred we get online every time a game is launched prolly doesn't help.

I don't mean this forum, i mean the whole internet.

God I hate reddit whenever anything Pokemon is announced. The threads are filled to the brim of just smouldering hatred of the game.

Yes yes go ahead and strike-through the rest of the sentence. But I've pretty much blocked all the main subreddits and it's great. I stick to my very specific interests and enjoy my reddit time.

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Reddit can be a decent time if you curate it well, but even then in my experience it always skews angry and conservative.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I think part of the problem with pokemon is that so many people want it to be different things. Some want it to be multiplayer or MMO, some want it to be competitive, some want it to be a dress up game, some want it to be a collectible game with 2k+ pokemon, some want an immersive story or an expansive world. The problem is that they kinda only give all of those a cursory taste of what they want. All of those things are completely within their power to do, but for a long time, things have just felt very half assed. And like with every other fandom, when the people who curate and expand on something people love really screw up, theyre going to hear about it on the internet. See every video game released in the last like 5 years.

• ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I gave up SRing for Turtwig after around 1200 and 2 uncatchable starly's

I will not be giving up on this SR dialga hunt because at least for this hunt if i burn out a bit i can go work on my pokedex in the underground and train

I'm glad I don't care about most shiny pokemon (outside of a few edge cases I think the original colors look way better), cause god the soft resetting some people do sounds horrible. More power to you if that's your thing, but I know I would go insane before even hitting 50 attempts.

I do really like my Shiny Umbreon in a moon ball though. I wasn't even breeding for it on purpose, just randomly popped out when I was making a bunch of HA Eevee eggs.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    They did a pretty excellent job of bringing all of XY's tech and design improvements into the Ruby/Sapphire remakes, and anyone who disagrees with me about this is just objectively wrong.

I had been hoping we'd get something similar with the Diamond/Pearl remakes, but I guess that a lot of the Sword/Shield mechanics wouldn't have worked in a game that wasn't originally designed around them.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I will say this much, Pokemon Legends: Arceus does seem to contain a great many changes people have been asking for, among other things.

Even though it is a something of spinoff game (still real close to the mainline games), I suspect/hope they are using it as something of a test to see how these changes are received.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Shiny hunting requires a mentality and even more so if you're not a content creator so you don't have an audience and you're just doing it for yourself.

Sometimes you get lucky and get it quick... Other times you start to question which god you've angered after hatching your 5000th porygon egg. (It took 5109.)

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I've never once seen a shiny pokemon.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I found a bunch of random shinies along the years, just doing regular things in the world. like, at least 6? and one was even in Platinum, with the OG odds.
    I did also get 2 shines via masuda (dreepy and trevenant) and like 5 or 6 on those wormholes in Ultra Moon.

SR'ing for regular odds, tho, that's complete insanity (sorry zunde).

Now Pokemon Go, there's a great shiny farming place. Got 7 shiny Shinxes just this saturday.

And hey i also LOVED ORAS. great balance of new and old. but it's one of the games people don't really like nowadays, I think.

There is a pokemon cycle just like sonic's; all games start off being hated as fuck, then people start to go mellow on it, then around 3 gens later they turn into the "best gen of all". Now it's Gen 5; people hated how it didn't have any previous Gen pokemon around before the post-game, and said that the designs were terrible (poor bby trubbish), but today everyone is like "best gen".

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    Gen 5 has been my favorite since it came out. I absolutely loved that there were no old gen Pokemon until the post-game. That just enhanced the experience of how I play new Pokemon generations - I go on a media blackout a few months before release so I don't know what the new Pokemon/their evos are and I only use new Pokemon until the post-game. I've found doing this keeps the magic alive, and every evolution is exciting and fresh. Gen 5 was truly magical because literally everything was new and it was super exciting each and every time the evolution screen popped up.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I really liked black and white. but ill always like sprites more than 3d models that look like they should be from 3 generations ago. i just kind of wish the math and everything hadn't been figured out or they changed how EV and IVs work. now that i know about them i kind of cant be bothered to keep pokemon unless theyre perfect for competitive. Or if they are a legendary, they need the right nature and mostly right IVs. I kind of wish they would just simplify pokemon stats to just being natures but do more with items you can equip, abilities, and attacks. Maybe even more complex than just +(one stat) and -(one stat).

edited November 2021
    Thankfully it is easier than ever to make competitive pokemon in the modern games, at least for Sword and Shield. EV training has never been easier, and with nature mints + ability capsules + bottle caps to patch things up you don't even technically need to breed anything (I still do cause I like it, but it certainly saves a tone of time since you don't need to soft reset for legendaries outside of a few edge cases like 0 speed Ice horse).

Plus sword and shield has rental teams, where pretty much every major tournament has rental codes for their top 8. Super easy to browse youtube or whatever and grab a team to mess around with; I did that all the time to figure stuff out before deciding which mons I want to build on my own.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
    All of the items you can use to patch up Pokemon also makes breeding competitive shiny Pokemon so much more bearable. The only thing you can't fix is if you need a specific gender to be shiny in the case of something like the Nidos, Salandit, or Combee.

I bred a square-shiny Krabby that didn't have the HA before the SwSh DLC came out and was pretty bummed and kept breeding for a HA shiny. Now I can just use an Ability Patch and get the HA regardless of what ability they hatched with, and that's so good.

edited November 2021
    Question: Do multiplayer battles in BD/SP have low/unchangeable time limits like in SwSh? The time limits are so constricting in SwSh and I have had multiple friendly battles go unfinished due to time.

Cruor on
    Cruor wrote: »
    Question: Do multiplayer battles in BD/SP have low/unchangeable time limits like in SwSh? The time limits are so constricting in SwSh and I have had multiple friendly battles go unfinished due to time.

Currently the only way to battle online is via Union Room, which has a hard 20 minute time limit.

The official description mentions that "future updates will enable Link Trades at the Global Wonder Station (GWS) facility in Jubilife City, as well as Link Battles via the Colosseum function in Pokémon Centers," so I'm hoping that will bring in some more options.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    Is anyone finished Diamond and would be willing to do a tradeback of Dialga for Palkia (or whatever)? It's the last pokemon I'm missing for completing the regional dex. It is absolutely not a coincidence that I made it to this point on a Friday.

I was determined to get all of the things that I could on my own within Pearl. Feebas and Spiritomb both took some real doing.

• MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    @AshtonDragon If you go to the town with the cave paintings and talk to the old champions grandma (forget the name off hand) she'll give you the dex entry for the other box legendary. Won't count as caught, but will unlock the national Dex.

XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
    edited November 2021
    @AshtonDragon If you go to the town with the cave paintings and talk to the old champions grandma (forget the name off hand) she'll give you the dex entry for the other box legendary. Won't count as caught, but will unlock the national Dex.

Thanks, but I've already got the national dex. Trying to get everything caught.

Of course, that won't actually give me anything of value until I do that for the national dex, but it's a start. And seeing 150/151 in the pokedex bothers me.

EDIT: It occurs to me that it would be really, really sad if someone spent hours catching Feebas and Spiritomb only to realize that it's not required for getting the national dex.

AshtonDragon on
    Sometimes hunts are not so bad. Only 326 for this baby. No mark though

u52sdg9dc7a9.png

God I wish IV chaining in this game wasn't so awful. The chain length you need for X number of perfect IVs is still the same (1 at 20 chain, 2 at 30 chain, 3 at 40 chain), but it is currently bugged so that instead of breakpoints where any encounter beyond that chain is guaranteed 1/2/3 perfect IVs , the guarantee is only at the exact 20/30/40 chain encounter.

I gave up after 4 attempts to get at least a 3 IV ditto ended in the late 30's (chains still have a minimum 7% chance to break after every encounter, even if you do everything correct); just gonna do things the super old fashioned way: start with one mon and slowly work my way through the egg groups until I have a 4-6 IV male for every group. Finished Salamence (Dragon), who can breed with Garchomp (Monster)/Flygon (Bug)/Dragonite (Water 1), so it should be pretty easy to spread out from there.

Note that this is all completely pointless and I could/should just wait for home support when none of this will matter at all because I've already done the work in SwSH, but whatever, I kinda like the process of it all.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    Not going to lie.

BDSP might be the most broken entry in the series since Generation 1.

There are 7 unique methods of in game duplication. Each one better then the last.

Zunde wrote: »
    Not going to lie.

There are 7 unique methods of in game duplication. Each one better then the last.

Yeah uh, I'm not saying I abused the hell out of the easy to execute item dupe glitch to get 400 rare candy and a bunch of EV vitamins...

But I'm not not saying that either.

7h8wnycre6vs.png

Of course, that won't actually give me anything of value until I do that for the national dex, but it's a start. And seeing 150/151 in the pokedex bothers me.

EDIT: It occurs to me that it would be really, really sad if someone spent hours catching Feebas and Spiritomb only to realize that it's not required for getting the national dex.

Ok. Just checking.

Spiritomb wasn't bad to me. I unlocked him in normal exploration of the game and underground. Right now I'm actually stuck without the national Dex because I misread the info on when driffloon appears. Didn't fight all the trainers in that gym, so I never saw one. Only way to encounter one is on Friday, so now I wait til next week...

XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
    ph blake wrote: »
    Zunde wrote: »
    Not going to lie.

Yeah uh, I'm not saying I abused the hell out of the easy to execute item dupe glitch to get 400 rare candy and a bunch of EV vitamins...

But I'm not not saying that either.

I mean i duped a korean ditto 122 times. Battle tower gives a piss rate of BP so i plan to absolutely dupe those a billion times.

edited November 2021

Ok. Just checking.

Spiritomb wasn't bad to me. I unlocked him in normal exploration of the game and underground. Right now I'm actually stuck without the national Dex because I misread the info on when driffloon appears. Didn't fight all the trainers in that gym, so I never saw one. Only way to encounter one is on Friday, so now I wait til next week...

Give me 10 minutes or so and I can breed up a driffloon to trade you if you want.

Edit: done, just ping me if you want one.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
    ph blake wrote: »

Ok. Just checking.

Give me 10 minutes or so and I can breed up a driffloon to trade you if you want.

Edit: done, just ping me if you want one.

Thanks. I'll hit you up when I can play later

XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I just won’t bother breeding anything, honestly. At least, not until Home and I can use my perfect dittos

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Fun question for people well versed in Pokemon Bank.

For whatever reason it's not counting my Gliscor and Dusknoir.

They are definitely in the bank. Help.