As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Wiiu is a great hacked machine
    and a nice hdmi Gamecube

Oh, yeah,

Is there a DekuDeals-like site that has all regions' prices? Cause often EU or México have better prices than USA

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Wii U also still has a pretty great Virtual Console selection. I'm still kinda surprised that they dropped the idea so hard with the Switch.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Wiiu is a great hacked machine
    and a nice hdmi Gamecube

Oh, yeah,

Is there a DekuDeals-like site that has all regions' prices? Cause often EU or México have better prices than USA

You can switch Deku Deals to whatever region you want

8iygotljuhm3.png

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    oh i know, but then i'd have to keep switching and converting and stuff
    there was a site that just pointed out the cheapest region but it died

camo_sig2.png
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Enlong wrote: »
    Wii U also still has a pretty great Virtual Console selection. I'm still kinda surprised that they dropped the idea so hard with the Switch.

why let people continue having access to things they've paid for when you can rent them different versions forever

edit: and yes I'm aware that I could spend $texas and buy a new wii u and use it until it breaks and buy another one and so on down the line but that's a hell of a thing to do

Xaquin on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    My wife has been devouring Pikmin 3 over the last few weeks. She finished the campaign and now is obsessed with getting all the achievements. Ironically, she got into it because of the new iOS Pikmin game. They got at least one cross-over player.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    My most memorable Wii U games were ZombiU and Pikmin 3.

ZombiU was the best (only?) use case for the WiiU second screen. That was implimented so so well.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

ZombiU was the best (only?) use case for the WiiU second screen. That was implimented so so well.

Having the map and inventory for Zelda was also really handy. But man ZombiU was so damn good. I played through it recently on PC and it just doesn't have the same effect.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I never played it (I do see it's on the switch) but one of the better use cases for the WiiU's tablet was obviously a Fatal Frame game.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    urahonky wrote: »

Having the map and inventory for Zelda was also really handy. But man ZombiU was so damn good. I played through it recently on PC and it just doesn't have the same effect.

Map screen is probably the single best use of the screen. I maintain that the Wii U has the best version of Batman Arkham City, and would have the best version of Assassin's Creed Black Flag, if it didn't skip the DLC with the additional story.

But seriously, Arkham City is just a different experience when you can see where you're going at all times. Hearing your intercom through the game pad is also a fun thing.

Really wish they'd let the Wii U version of BOTW have the map on the game pad.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

6180 the moon is my favorite use of the Wii U gamepad.

Followed closely by Xenoblade X and Splatoon.

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    That ghost hunting game in Nintendoland used it well too

That ghost hunting game in Nintendoland used it well too

Also the one where the person with the gamepad had to hunt the others. And you saw their face on the screen.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    My wife has been devouring Pikmin 3 over the last few weeks. She finished the campaign and now is obsessed with getting all the achievements. Ironically, she got into it because of the new iOS Pikmin game. They got at least one cross-over player.

If she's going through the missions, one thing I didn't discover until almost finishing is that a single bomb-rock will unearth any buried object.
    Might help with the collect treasure missions, although I got platinum on all of them without this.

discrider on
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Nintendoland and Game & Wario both used the gamepad well and were underrated multiplayer games.

They don't justify the existence of the Wii U entirety but they were fun games that I have good memories of.

edited November 2021
    The Wii U definitely has games that make me wish it had gotten more like them.

And personally, I kinda wish that it had been the Wii U that had got the version of Okami with touch-screen controls for the Celestial Brush. I just think a standard stick stylus would feel better for that than fingers or a soft capacitive stylus.

Enlong on
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    For a long time my Wii U was basically a Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer playing machine.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I loved Nintendoland. We played a ton of the Link game where the tablet user had a bow and the Wiimote players had swords.

My son and I hit a local store today. They tend to put any used games without cases at one price unless they're super rare like handheld Pokemon or Castlevania games. Today, we noticed they had taken a trade in of Switch games without cases, which we'd never seen before.

We left with Skyrim, Hyrule Warriors and Pokken for $9.99 each.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    The original Wii U announcement sizzle reel showed off some interesting concepts that literally nobody ever did anything with, ever. I particularly remember a golf game where the Wii remote was the grip of a golf club and the tablet was on the floor, displaying a golf ball on a tee. A tiny slice of augmented reality. So neat!

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    My wife works at Niantic now (although on the Pokemon Go team) and she got to eat a Pikmin cupcake for lunch today. So the game is already a rousing success in my eyes.
    Not a white one hopefully

Also worth explicitly noting that the white Pikmin are poisonous and will hurt enemies when eaten, for the battle missions in Pikmin 3, if she isn't already aware.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    The original Wii U announcement sizzle reel showed off some interesting concepts that literally nobody ever did anything with, ever. I particularly remember a golf game where the Wii remote was the grip of a golf club and the tablet was on the floor, displaying a golf ball on a tee. A tiny slice of augmented reality. So neat!

That seemed like the most pointless gimmick to me just asking for it to get stepped on. A whole screen dedicated to showing basically two images, golf ball present or golf ball missing?

I did enjoy their YouTube app though, with the curtains to present videos to a group. We actually used that at one or two parties for fun.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky

That seemed like the most pointless gimmick to me just asking for it to get stepped on. A whole screen dedicated to showing basically two images, golf ball present or golf ball missing?

I did enjoy their YouTube app though, with the curtains to present videos to a group. We actually used that at one or two parties for fun.

Lots of penis jokes were had at my house.

• IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Fatal Frame/Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water is a different experience with simultaneous TV + tablet controller as originally intended.

On WiiU the tablet acts as your mystic camera, while the TV is always in the 3rd person POV. When playing with motion controls you can literally just raise the tablet and aim, which allowed the ghosts to be much faster and more aggressive than previous titles. I've pulled off literal about-face shots on ghosts trying to come up behind the character with wild acrobatic moves.

The ported versions, even Switch, play like past titles: a 3rd person game that temporarily swaps into first person mystic camera "shooting". I'm not sure how well they cope with the increased ghost speed or if that was perhaps watered-down.

WiiU's asymmetric TV + handheld screen concept was perfect for Fatal Frame/Project Zero. Literally no other setup short of a Holodeck can emulate the essence of the series, the ghost photography, as closely.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yeah. The WiiU enabled some cool stuff. It's a natural evolution from what the DS was doing already I think, but still.

If we ever saw that kind of thing again it would probably be like, a stream dock or something - the system can be in handheld mode while sending data to a dock for the TV to show, or something.

For Fatal Frame itself, I think you could still get that effect with handheld mode, but I wouldn't want to do that when the system itself is being held. The WiiU tablet is probably a lot better at taking hits because it's just a controller+screen+empty space.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Affordable Space Adventures was one of the best multiplayer games I've ever played, and it was on the Wii U and I think I got it for less than $2.

So much fun with 3 people.

We've only recently stopped bringing out NintendoLand for games nights too.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    IceBurner wrote: »
    WiiU's asymmetric TV + handheld screen concept was perfect for Fatal Frame/Project Zero. Literally no other setup short of a Holodeck can emulate the essence of the series, the ghost photography, as closely.

Well, VR probably, right?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular

This definitely actually happened and was in Wii Sports Club golf.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Y'all. A whole bunch of great first-party Nintendo games are now on sale for $27 at Amazon. That NEVER happens. There's less steep but steep discounts on other first-party games elsewhere. Get to shopping!

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I was hoping Luigi's Mansion would end up being one of the cheap games but no luck there.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    That list of games gets discounted pretty much every big sale, but I dunno if they've ever gone below $30 before. Neat.
    They're also on sale at Gamestop for the same prices, if you don't want to use Amazon. They will likely be the same price at other stores as well once Black Friday really starts.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I beat Lego DC Villains. You would think that with how long these games have been coming out, they would have gotten better at making the load times better and not have them run so choppy. It was ok, but I think I might be over Lego games. Not sure why I still buy them and I know I will still end up getting the Lego Star Wars Saga. Maybe the PS5 version will have better load times and such. We'll see.

I'm currently playing Garden Story which is super charming and I'm kinda loving right now. :D

I'll also be starting on Brilliant Diamond tonight. I love old school Pokemon so I'm all for a retro feeling remake with this one. Can't wait. :D

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    The lack of sales for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 keeps surprising me, given other games, and particularly XBC1 going on sale all the time.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
    I'm pretty sure it's been on sale quite a bit over the last few years.

Is it even in production any longer?

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Xeno 2 was $40 last November on the eShop, that’s the last time it was on sale at all according to the Deku site.

It was also on sale each November 2019 and 2018

Taramoor on
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Xenoblade 2 is out of print, yes. If it goes on sale, it would only be through the eshop.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Y'all. A whole bunch of great first-party Nintendo games are now on sale for $27 at Amazon. That NEVER happens. There's less steep but steep discounts on other first-party games elsewhere. Get to shopping!

Nope not looking.

And I'm browsing, dammit.

I've already got sonic colors and monkeyball both at 20 bucks each from gamestop's sale. I have no business looking at these games, but here we are.

Steam: offday
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Bummer to hear that it's out of print. One digital sale in the last almost two years, versus several for XBC1. In my mind, the sale rate would go up in the later part of it's life, not down, but it beats me.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I think I might grab XBC1 since I have yet to play it, and the definitive edition looks solid.

both switch xenoblade are games i love very dearly

camo_sig2.png
    Yep, Xenoblade 1 & 2 are both phenomenal games. Both are special for very different reasons.

Also, Torna: The Golden Country is a prequel to the second game. It is as good as the other two games and fills out a lot of the history that Xenoblade 2 talks about. It had an ending that legitimately made me emotional, even knowing what happens years later. The game is not as long as the other two by a large margin, but it's still a meaty 40 hour experience.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!