As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I wish I loved Xenoblade Chronicles as much as you guys do. I buy em every time and get about 10 hours into it and just quit. There's no real hook for me and I don't get why I can't enjoy em.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I wish I loved Xenoblade Chronicles as much as you guys do. I buy em every time and get about 10 hours into it and just quit. There's no real hook for me and I don't get why I can't enjoy em.

There is plenty of stuff I wish I enjoyed as much as others, but nothing wrong with not being able to get into something.

I have a special place in my heart for the Xenoblade series. Technically it started with Xenogears back on the PS1. I mean, I have a spot on my shelf in my office dedicated to the Xenoblade series I love it so much:

oz8SHUo.jpg

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Now Xenoblade is up to 35 for some reason? Welp might pass then cause I really dont need it.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Yep, Xenoblade 1 & 2 are both phenomenal games. Both are special for very different reasons.

Also, Torna: The Golden Country is a prequel to the second game. It is as good as the other two games and fills out a lot of the history that Xenoblade 2 talks about. It had an ending that legitimately made me emotional, even knowing what happens years later. The game is not as long as the other two by a large margin, but it's still a meaty 40 hour experience.

Honestly, Torna felt right-sized to me. The other Xenoblades are big almost to a fault. Though granted, that's also part of their appeal...

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited November 2021

XC2 was... "Fine" until you started filling out your party/got more into the game proper. Then it stuck, but then again if you give me a mechanic involving "fill the bar" and "level the grid" I'm pretty well screwed, so.

Also
    it's got a happy ending, and fuck it, I'm firmly in support of those. Enough gloomy ambiguous "made you think", I'll take my "happily ever after" tyvm.

Also, the angry Welsh catgirl is just the best.

Unrelated: Iceey (or however you spell it) any good? It's... Intriguing, inexpensive, and goes on sale often enough, but I have been so burnt by titles like that that I now ask around on principle. :P

dporowski on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2 goes on sale exactly once a year, in December every year

bybjm3ylp126.png

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular

Same here. I've tried it a couple of times, but the battle system doesn't click with me and the characters don't grab me. But then you go online and see almost universal praise, and you wonder why you just don't like it when everyone else does and you generally enjoy the genre.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »

Same here. I've tried it a couple of times, but the battle system doesn't click with me and the characters don't grab me. But then you go online and see almost universal praise, and you wonder why you just don't like it when everyone else does and you generally enjoy the genre.

Yeah it sucks because it's a long RPG that everyone loves. Feels like you're broken or something lol.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    The last big free update for Mario Golf is out today.

Adds Wiggler, Shy Guy, Shelltop Sanctuary (a course like New Donk which is 100% par 3), All-Star Summit (a new regular golf course where every hole is an aerial picture of a Mario character), Target Golf mode, and One-On, One-Putt mode.

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/55654/

ydnm8Oa.png

With all the free updates it's gotten, this adds up to 5 new courses, 5 new characters, and 3 new modes added to the base game. Pretty substantial and brings it up to the level where it's a contender for being one of the best Mario Golf games.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I'll have to go back and give it a shot. I got really mad that the storyline focused so much on weird modes like hitting the ball into hurricanes and trying to follow it that I gave up on it. I really just wanted a simple Mario Golf game.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I'll have to go back and give it a shot. I got really mad that the storyline focused so much on weird modes like hitting the ball into hurricanes and trying to follow it that I gave up on it. I really just wanted a simple Mario Golf game.

This was my read on it. Similar to how Mario Tennis All-Stars refused to do anything people really wanted and threw in a bunch of half-baked modes

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    For me, I got what they were doing...the story mode was meant to be a sort of digest of everything you can do in the game. If you didn't enjoy any part of it momentarily it was just a matter of getting past that bit and you'd be on to something else.

The cross country golf was a good idea but that particular course, the giant tornadoes were just not predictable/usable enough. I got frustrated too, but once I got past it you never do it again and I never encountered anything too frustrating afterward.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I cleared Splatoon 2's story mode and started up the Octo Expansion, and uh... wow this seems really high budget, like more production value than the actual story mode?

Oh brilliant
  • Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    So I've been seeing a lot about lots of little glitches in BDSP... just how bad is it, overall? Maybe I should wait for a patch...

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    For me, I got what they were doing...the story mode was meant to be a sort of digest of everything you can do in the game. If you didn't enjoy any part of it momentarily it was just a matter of getting past that bit and you'd be on to something else.

The cross country golf was a good idea but that particular course, the giant tornadoes were just not predictable/usable enough. I got frustrated too, but once I got past it you never do it again and I never encountered anything too frustrating afterward.

I'll admit, I quit and went back to PGA 2k21. It's ugly as sin but at least I can sit down after work and play a round of golf and move forward in a career mode. Mario Golf was close to the trade in chopping block but I'll have to give this update a try first.

• Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    I beat Lego DC Villains. You would think that with how long these games have been coming out, they would have gotten better at making the load times better and not have them run so choppy. It was ok, but I think I might be over Lego games. Not sure why I still buy them and I know I will still end up getting the Lego Star Wars Saga. Maybe the PS5 version will have better load times and such. We'll see.

I got Lego Marvel 2 about 2 years ago and never finished it, I may also be done with those games.

Lego Force Awakens was super annoying by the end of trying to 100% it, finding the right character for free mode became a chore and I got real tired of changing planets etc. It sapped my enthusiasm for those games.

Also they ruined the mechanics for deflecting blaster shots with the light sabers over time. That's half the reason I even like Lego Star Wars!

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I cleared Splatoon 2's story mode and started up the Octo Expansion, and uh... wow this seems really high budget, like more production value than the actual story mode?

Yeah, it's pretty involved. My daughter loves the octo expansion and still plays it from time to time, but spends most of her time on ranked battles now.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    So today I knocked two more indie games off my backlog:

Garden Story - Very cute game that mixed a bit of zelda with resource gathering/building mechanics. Nice little story and not too long or difficult. If you want a small and charming game where you play a grape named Concord working to save the garden world you inhabit, then this game is for you.

Gardens Between - Nice little puzzle game where everything is solved by pressing forward and backward. It was interesting and the last few areas I had to resort to a walkthrough because I'm awful at puzzles. Nice little story about friendship. I'm good never playing it again. :P

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I'm the same way with Xenoblade. I actually put a good 15 hours into it, but wasn't loving it. I ran into an encounter that I couldn't get past after 5 tries... put it down and just kind of.... never went back to it.

I can see how it is technically a good game, and the mechanics are definitely unique. It just.... didn't grab me.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    The first Xenoblade I have beaten twice. Once on the 3DS and once on the Switch. I played through about 85% of the game on the Wii originally, but just started over when the 3DS version came out since it was easier to play the game handheld due to how long the game actually is.

I think I clocked around 120 or so hours each full playthrough. They are definitely huge games.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

bybjm3ylp126.png

https://youtu.be/oHC1230OpOg

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

bybjm3ylp126.png

https://youtu.be/oHC1230OpOg

Oh shit it's early! They've ruined it!

LxX6eco.jpg
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    So I've been seeing a lot about lots of little glitches in BDSP... just how bad is it, overall? Maybe I should wait for a patch...

The only one I've seen people run into without actively trying for it is getting stuck in the ice gym boulder puzzle. Turn off auto-save and you should be fine

Personally, I'm at 35 hours played with no issues outside the occasional "huh, that collision box was a bit larger than I expected," which hasn't caused a problem yet (only comes up in the underground when trying to walk around a pokemon instead of fighting them).

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Cross-posting from the Zelda thread:

Speaking of the LoZ G&W, today I finished my most recent 3-heart, no-sword run!

322ziz4dfa9k.jpg
    31nv4edolrs6.jpg
    nujqegg8o7gu.jpg

God I love this game!

Edit: And if you like a video:

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Playing through BDSP off and on and team galactic sure are.. weird

Like every time i run into them it feels like i'm beating up crypto nerds the way they talk and act give me the feeling like they're going to break into a rant about how bitcoin is the future and then show me their stonetoss nft

Garden Story - Very cute game that mixed a bit of zelda with resource gathering/building mechanics. Nice little story and not too long or difficult. If you want a small and charming game where you play a grape named Concord working to save the garden world you inhabit, then this game is for you.

Gardens Between - Nice little puzzle game where everything is solved by pressing forward and backward. It was interesting and the last few areas I had to resort to a walkthrough because I'm awful at puzzles. Nice little story about friendship. I'm good never playing it again. :P

I also knocked two indie games off my backlog. Eastward and Not a Hero. Not because I beat them, but because they were garbage.

Also, did you play two "Garden" games in a row on purpose, or just working your way through the list alphabetically?

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    One of my favorite chill YouTubers did a video of Zelda 1 master quest. I was dissapointed he did not point out how fucking ABSURD the location of the 8th dungeon is. I actually met my best friend over that. He kept asking me where things were for his sister and we both got stuck at that. So I went over and the three of us played until we found it, and the absolute shock and awe sticks with me to this day.

Also obligatory video https://youtu.be/0zgLaB3RDhs

Kai_San on

I also knocked two indie games off my backlog. Eastward and Not a Hero. Not because I beat them, but because they were garbage.

Also, did you play two "Garden" games in a row on purpose, or just working your way through the list alphabetically?

No, it was just 100% coincidence. :P

I have been interested in Eastward a lot as it seems to have gotten a lot of praise. What didn't you like about it?

I haven't grabbed it yet because I'm waiting for a sale but I'm a little hesitant because the last game that got a lot of praise that ended up being the biggest of chores to finish was Crosscode.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    My biggest issue with Eastward is that there is just way way way too much dialog for how uninteresting it is most of the time. I love it's visual style, and the actual game part is good (though not great). But the characters. never. shut. up.

No, it was just 100% coincidence. :P

I have been interested in Eastward a lot as it seems to have gotten a lot of praise. What didn't you like about it?

I haven't grabbed it yet because I'm waiting for a sale but I'm a little hesitant because the last game that got a lot of praise that ended up being the biggest of chores to finish was Crosscode.

Eastward starts off really great. Halfway through the game it just falls completely off a cliff.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Would it make sense to play Torna without having played Xeno 2?

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Would it make sense to play Torna without having played Xeno 2?

I actually played Torna first and would say yes.

There's exactly one character that is kind of confusing to newcomers, everything else was handled pretty well and holding back on spoilers for Xeno 2. Mechanically Xeno 2 has a ton of systems and Torna does a better job of introducing them in a more forgiving, linear setting.

Of course you will want to purchase Xeno 2 the second you finish, so buyer beware.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    i can barely play zelda 1, let alone beat it without a sword

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Still recommending Black Future '88. I don't understand why this game didn't get more love.

Also the soundtrack is a banger:

https://youtu.be/zcrIpPioRaA

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    As a huge fan of action roguelike/lites, sell me on Black Future!

To be fair, I put an exhaustive amount of time into it as a 10-year old. With no guides outside of Nintendo Power, you had to look for things on your own or from rumors from your friends.

The sheer amount of times I played the game burned a ton of it into my memory. The music and the sprites triggers happy memories in my brain. It’s why I keep going back to it, even though it’s admittedly rough to play by today’s standards.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

To be fair, I put an exhaustive amount of time into it as a 10-year old. With no guides outside of Nintendo Power, you had to look for things on your own or from rumors from your friends.

The sheer amount of times I played the game burned a ton of it into my memory. The music and the sprites triggers happy memories in my brain. It’s why I keep going back to it, even though it’s admittedly rough to play by today’s standards.

Even then, a 3-heart no sword run is a serious feat to accomplish. Even if technically you can't actually "win" the game on no-sword :P.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    edited November 2021
    Polaritie wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Even then, a 3-heart no sword run is a serious feat to accomplish. Even if technically you can't actually "win" the game on no-sword :P.

Thanks! I post about it on my social media when I finish a run, but sadly, not many people understand how big a hill it is to climb. Fortunately, PA is here to satiate my ego.

And truth be told, the run really isn’t that bad. The hardest parts come down to a half dozen or do dungeon rooms where you have to defeat Wizzrobes or Darknuts with just 8 bombs.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Wrong thread!

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
    I know there's a Monster Hunter thread but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYcp90a-S7A