As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tech] It's for grownups! And sometimes kids!

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    The headline on the actual article page is firmly present tense and the article itself clarifies that the lawsuit alleges related behavior up through October 2021. They've (properly) left it up to the reader to guess whether this behavior which occurred from 2016 to last month may have magically been resolved at some point in the last month.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    There's a lot of dumb shit these days but this story about crypto people trying to buy the Constitution is the dumbest shit I've seen in a while, it might be the dumbest shit I ever read, my brain is unable to accept that there might be dumber shit in my lifetime.

Edit: This is a real quote: " This means the community itself cannot use its governance tokens to vote on the future of the governance tokens, and that it's really not much of a web3 project at all."

Peen on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    There's a lot of dumb shit these days but this story about crypto people trying to buy the Constitution is the dumbest shit I've seen in a while, it might be the dumbest shit I ever read, my brain is unable to accept that there might be dumber shit in my lifetime.

Edit: This is a real quote: " This means the community itself cannot use its governance tokens to vote on the future of the governance tokens, and that it's really not much of a web3 project at all."

Lol it might be even funnier that the dude who outbid them is the CEO of the hedge fund that bailed out that other hedge fund during the GameStop thing.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I went into it assuming this big battle and chaos was over an NFT of the constitution, not a physical copy.

That battle is probably upcoming, though.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    what is the big deal about a copy of the constitution
    I can print one out right now

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    YOU WOULDN'T DARE

• Options
    oh wait that shit's like 30 pages long, jeeze, printer paper doesn't grow on trees you know

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    We give 'em out for free at the library every Constitution Day. Neat little pocket-sized versions.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    We give 'em out for free at the library every Constitution Day. Neat little pocket-sized versions.

For FREE? As in communism?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular

The single awesome thing about this project is that their victory plan involved trying to get Nicolas Cage to pick up the constitution for them.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021

the boring company bravely asks, what if trains could only carry four people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5V_VzRrSBI

this is a real render produced by the boring company

I didn't actually expect this concept to be this... stupid? I thought it was originally supposed to be some low pressure magrail capsule train thing

but I guess now in this render it's an elevator built into a street that lowers your car onto a moving platform on a track that then goes underground, like a subway, but with far less capacity, while leaving a giant hole in the public street?

i'm not sure what problem this solves, even if it works like the ideal conditions shown in the render, which it almost certainly won't

what do you do if a car or platform becomes stuck? there's not enough room to go around it, there's not even enough room for a person to climb out of the car and walk the rest of the path, and if that did happen, how would you get rescue crews inside? would the entire service stop for everyone until the accident is cleared?

and then apparently the "real" tunnels just look like this:

so far they've managed to make a people mover inside the LA convention center :
    According to reaction from the local event, media were able to hitch a ride in Tesla's electric sedan, which crawled through the tunnels at 35 mph. It's a far cry from the promised 150 mph speeds, which is supposed to turn the typically 15-minute-long walk into a two-minute ride. The Model 3 sedans will use "tracking wheels" to keep the cars in the tunnel's specific lane, so no, the car isn't driving itself. In fact, there will be drivers, according to Akers' information. The wheels are more like deployable rollers. No word on the promised 12-seater van vehicle Musk said would carry more passengers, either. The Boring Company also did not share any new information on what the loading and unloading procedures will be like. Musk released a rendering of what a station may look like when everything's complete, which also featured a group of Model 3 EVs ready to shuffle people to another side of the convention center.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFWZWDqyV2I

I just don't see how this isn't the least efficient way to do anything, or how this could possibly scale without catastrophic increases in costs and wait times, or why you would ever pick this when you could build a subway, monorail or even a bus

like I get that Elon is as much of a scam artist as he is an entrepreneur, what I don't get is how any public planning institution, which has to include people who know more about transportation projects than me, could be seeing in Boring tunnels that is making them greenlight more of these?

Brolo on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    When you make cars, you can't then turn around and make good public transportation because that's anti-cars

• Options
    Having the rear wheels dragging for extended periods at like 130mph seems like a questionable choice to me.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Having the rear wheels dragging for extended periods at like 130mph seems like a questionable choice to me.

It's fine. I mean sure those enclosed tunnels underground are pretty much a death trap if anything caught fire but it's not like Teslas are known for that teensy little flaw right?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    That boring hyperloop thing feels kinda way more dumb than the constitution thing to me. At least on the depressingly dumb scale.

• Options
    what actually happened was elon musk was like "hyperloops sound cool, make one of those" and the engineers were like "this is how much that will cost" and elon was like "lol do it for one one millionth of that cost, also stick my car company's products in it"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    No one at Boring Company understands the concept of bottlenecks
    or scalability
    or safety

But they do understand suckering cities into big contracts for their stupid tunnels that probably won't even finish getting built

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    hyperloops as envisioned are also insane stupid deathtraps, just different ways to die really

at the end of the day, a reasonable fraction of all silicon valley bullshit is reinventing public transit, but worse.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    hyperloops as envisioned are also insane stupid deathtraps, just different ways to die really

at the end of the day, a reasonable fraction of all silicon valley bullshit is reinventing public transit, but worse.

Specifically, reinventing it in a way to remove poor and homeless people from the equation.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    You know how annoying and congesting it can be when part of a road gets shut down for necessary maintenance?

Imagine that but inside a single-lane tunnel. And it's not road maintenance, it's tunnel and car-trolley-track maintenance.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Has Boring Company ever even tried to answer the question of what happens when there's a breakdown in the single lane tunnel?

Like how do maintenance/tow/emergency service crews get to the breakdown? How do you clear the backlog of traffic that accumulates behind the breakdown? How do you manage long term shut downs? How do people safely evacuate in dangerous situations?

I know any answers they provide will be bullshit, but I want to see how bullshit

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    or scalability
    or safety

But they do understand suckering cities into big contracts for their stupid tunnels that probably won't even finish getting built

but like

who in city council is getting suckered into this?

it has so many obvious downsides and seemingly no upsides

the only thing I can think of is that there's also massive levels of corruption happening here for anyone to say yes to this

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Brolo wrote: »
    or scalability
    or safety

but like

who in city council is getting suckered into this?

it has so many obvious downsides and seemingly no upsides

the only thing I can think of is that there's also massive levels of corruption happening here for anyone to say yes to this

the tech-bro cult accepts all types

the techno-messiah cannot be wrong

(also yeah, the corruption thing helps. But I do think a lot of it comes down to people being very, very stupid and easy to scam with promise of technology)

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    Has Boring Company ever even tried to answer the question of what happens when there's a breakdown in the single lane tunnel?

Like how do maintenance/tow/emergency service crews get to the breakdown? How do you clear the backlog of traffic that accumulates behind the breakdown? How do you manage long term shut downs? How do people safely evacuate in dangerous situations?

I know any answers they provide will be bullshit, but I want to see how bullshit

Also quakes. Lots of quakes in this area.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Especially in a place like Vegas that's utterly reliant on tourist dollars, the techno-wizard vision of the future bullshit that Boring represents is absolutely irresistible, there's no way you want to be the city administration that said no the coolest new thing around.

Even if the coolest new thing around is self-evidently a terrible, awful idea that will almost certainly result in a horrific tragedy and embarrassment for everyone involved.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    It just hit me that the entire platform including the barricade lowers in that concept video, so if a car drove up behind you without noticing they would just fall on top of you.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021

Why would they? By the time first the shovel full of dirt is dug up on any physical product, all of the leadership involved will have moved on to new positions and raises. Deliverables are the ask of someone without sufficient vision.

Heffling on
  • Options
    rhylith wrote: »
    It just hit me that the entire platform including the barricade lowers in that concept video, so if a car drove up behind you without noticing they would just fall on top of you.

something something AI

Steam ID
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    wait you're telling me it's unsafe to open giant car sized maws in the right of way?

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Especially in a place like Vegas that's utterly reliant on tourist dollars, the techno-wizard vision of the future bullshit that Boring represents is absolutely irresistible, there's no way you want to be the city administration that said no the coolest new thing around.

Even if the coolest new thing around is self-evidently a terrible, awful idea that will almost certainly result in a horrific tragedy and embarrassment for everyone involved.

Well sir there's nothing like a genuine bona fide electrified six car monorail

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Man, I hope we all have the bravery to eat our humble pie in twenty years when single-width car tunnel deathtraps are the cornerstone of urban transportation. "Get a horse!" we'll holler as the sleek spacepeople of the future sink into their gaping street pits, while the world passes us by and we huddle together in the middle of our filthy deserted surface streets and reminisce about defunct candy bars.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I don’t know how you look at the opening b-roll of the interstate traffic- traffic that is six lanes across and bumper to bumper for at least a mile- and then see the transition to a single car’s width tube and be like oh of course, this makes sense, this would be faster.

Like I don’t care if it can get to 200mph, it fucking won’t matter if you have one kajillion cars waiting in line to get on it, not to mention construction/breakdown/accidents

Also what about the traffic that comes from people trying to get into a car hole? You know people would be like angling towards it and taking up lanes while they wait on their car-a-vator

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    The plebs will only be allowed in the car hole to do repairs and clear out debris.

• Options
    The car goes in the square hole

• Options
    edited November 2021
    cursedking wrote: »
    I don’t know how you look at the opening b-roll of the interstate traffic- traffic that is six lanes across and bumper to bumper for at least a mile- and then see the transition to a single car’s width tube and be like oh of course, this makes sense, this would be faster.

Like I don’t care if it can get to 200mph, it fucking won’t matter if you have one kajillion cars waiting in line to get on it, not to mention construction/breakdown/accidents

Also what about the traffic that comes from people trying to get into a car hole? You know people would be like angling towards it and taking up lanes while they wait on their car-a-vator

No, you see, it will cost so much to use that only the rich worthwhile people will be able to use it, eliminating crowding!

minor incident on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    It's the Ayn Rand memorial tunnel

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I don’t understand how the Boring company makes such shitty tunnels.

Like tunnels are useful! They do not solve every problem, but they are a part of the transport solution where a highways take up so much space when you are trying to go through a major part of a city, they make sense. They’re expensive but they don’t(always) need to knock down buildings to get them done.

But Tesla makes single fucken lane tunnels. How is this a plan?

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    It's the Ayn Rand memorial tunnel

The next Bioshock is going to be incredibly linear if this is the best vision of the future they can come up with

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Blake T wrote: »
    I don’t understand how the Boring company makes such shitty tunnels.

Like tunnels are useful! They do not solve every problem, but they are a part of the transport solution where a highways take up so much space when you are trying to go through a major part of a city, they make sense. They’re expensive but they don’t(always) need to knock down buildings to get them done.

But Tesla makes single fucken lane tunnels. How is this a plan?
    Knight_ wrote: »

Specifically, reinventing it in a way to remove poor and homeless people from the equation.

pimento on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Yeah this shitty idea is a grift based primarily on a high speed subway only for rich white people

It's based on racism and classism

This discussion has been closed.