As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Come talk about the Jaguar, 3DO and Gex in the [Retro Games] Thread

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    For all his talk, it does look like he changes thumbnail.

I remember playing Popeye on that NES and arcade. But man seems such a random IP to pull out in 2021.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    For all his talk, it does look like he changes thumbnail.

I remember playing Popeye on that NES and arcade. But man seems such a random IP to pull out in 2021.

The problem with the new version is that it is in 3D and you can't see where all the falling hearts and notes are going.

It is not meant to be a 3D game.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Honestly, he should have left it as is. The review is accurate, the company released a horrible version of a relatively loved arcade game. They deserve all the hate they get, and frankly he should have doubled down and come out swinging instead of backing down. He even goes back on some of his critiques of the game by the end of the video. If they could afford to license Popeye, they could afford to make an actual game.

I will admit though that I'm extremely prejudiced on this one though, Popeye is the first arcade I remember loving when I was little and I still consider it to be in my top ten games because of that. Seeing them use the character in a shitty game is fine (that's happened before) but remaking the original so terribly does make me a bit mad and threatening to lawyer up just destroys any benefit of the doubt I could give them.

• Options
    Apparently, this channel is a repository for old G4 episodes.
    https://youtu.be/nj4KnAj8edc

• Options
    MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    I'll never think of G4 without thinking of this strip

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    G4 was a silly channel. I liked Icons. There is probably a YouTube channel that gathered all the episodes.

It looks like the reboot will be similar. Sometimes, it is a little too niche.

They just relaunched G4. I will have to see how to get it.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    No idea why they would target that one channel.
    https://youtu.be/m6lHyFhyRFM
    It's not like any other review would be nicer.

• Options
    Keep in mind this is the same publisher that brought us a $10 calculator app for the Switch. I'm guessing they took a risk licensing Popeye and thought they could at least silence a few videos until they could recoup their money from suckers.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular

Ha oh man. "Life is finite and I spent some of it on Popeye."

Are they planning to sue everybody? This could get expensive.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    It's a tragedy to see such a landmark of characterful animation be done dirty with that stiff-looking trash.

Not that I think Popeye is, like, begging for a great game or anything.

• Options
    The problem is that they licensed Popeye but the original game is a Nintendo game. It was at least partially designed by Miyamoto. I would imagine this would mean they couldn't make the remake that should have been done.

The proper remake would be the same 2D mechanics as the originals, but with themed levels after actual classic Popeye cartoons and hand drawn sprites. A bonus would be to include a few levels based on musical shorts and include those songs.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Don't know if it's true, but someone in the comments even said that ship level is from a free unity asset pack or something. Wouldn't surprise me though.

• Options
    The problem is that they licensed Popeye but the original game is a Nintendo game. It was at least partially designed by Miyamoto. I would imagine this would mean they couldn't make the remake that should have been done.

The proper remake would be the same 2D mechanics as the originals, but with themed levels after actual classic Popeye cartoons and hand drawn sprites. A bonus would be to include a few levels based on musical shorts and include those songs.

Yeah. They can do it like the 2D segments in Epic Mickey.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    If they could afford to license Popeye, they could afford to make an actual game.

I love Popeye (read the comic strip every day), but how much would it even be to license it these days?

This makes me want it just for the parts where they uppercut each other into the ocean at Mach 2.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Now that we are getting into the holiday season, do any of you have any games you always come back to at this time? For me, it seems to be platformers or zelda games. I think I'll probably start a new banjo or mario 64 file tonight. For some reason certain games like these, especially Nintendo always remind me of Christmas. I guess it probably goes back to being a kid and usually getting new games at this time.

anoffday on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Jeremy Parish, of Retronauts, put up a video talking about some super obscure old game called Chack 'n Pop and how impossible it is to play a real copy of it today or even a good emulated copy.

Less than twenty minutes after that video, which he spent quite a bit of time on, was published, a Taito collection was announced which included Chack 'n Pop.

It's dark wizardry, that's what it is.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmvb4Hktv7U

I like how the 'black hole' affected the ship's handling.

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmvb4Hktv7U

I like how the 'black hole' affected the ship's handling.

I was just reading something about how gravity was the defining characteristic of that game and made it stand out from the other early space combat games.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    On the topic of remakes that didn't do justice, Secret of Mana's 3D-Remake turned out just too darn difficult.

Making it a 3d environment with the same battle mechanics made it suuuuper hard to hit anything. I had to put it down after just an hour.

Or maybe it's my old-man hands that just couldn't adapt.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    No, Secret of Mana 3D is just bad. Trials of Mana is more how you do that sort of thing.

• Options
    Just play that Mana 2D collection and call it a day.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    The Secret of Mana remake was fine to me - but I also had played the remake of the Sword of Mana (the one originally on the Gameboy, Final Fantasy Adventure) and it was janky as hell. Felt so off and the models and everything were off putting, but I got through it. After that, the Secret of Mana 3-D remake was fine and completely playable. Just some parts, with archer enemies, where harder than the original since they just never missed and hit from far off.

I’m wanting to play though Trials but it’s on my Switch and I don’t have my dock and TV hook up bits with me currently. I’m wanting to experience that on a big screen - Playing it while holding the Switch got tiring after a bit.

• Options
    Speaking of unfinished games, man Lunar 2 was touuuuuugh. Bosses leveled with you so grinding wasn't much help.

:(

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    I kind of bounced off of the PS1 version of Lunar. The combat is pretty challenging. I do have the pendant for Lunar 2. Found it on eBay.

• Options
    The PSP remake of Lunar 1 (Harmony) is much easier and looks a treat, if the Playstation version is too grueling, its a good way to experience the story.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Secret of Mana was always kind of terrible, though. I've never played the Secret of Mana remake, but it would have had to substantially overhaul almost everything to be a good game.

• Options
    MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    Secret of Mana is fantastic as-is and needed no remake.

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    You guys are misspelling it.

Secret of Evermore is great.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Been playing a ton of NES lately. Decided to play through megamans 1-6. I had megaman 3 growing up and beat it many times, and beat megaman 2 once in college. In the last week I have completed 1-5 (and I did not use any glitches to beat megaman 1), leaving megaman 6 as the last one. I have noticed that with each game, the difficulty has gone down (more generous with 1ups, e-tanks, continuing allows you to keep your e-tanks, more energy crystals to cut down on grinding in Wily levels, etc.). I have to say Megaman 4 really felt like a B-team effort. Going from 3 to 4 must've been quite disappointing at the time. Megaman 5 was definitely a lot better and I may even like it more than the 1st game, but i'm not quite sure yet.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    Yeah they got easier once they realized Westerners aren't nearly as good as their basic Japanese teenager plebs.

On that note, I'm close to quitting this Kid Chameleon. Even with rewind and all, it's gotten really tedious to an almost unbearable level. Another childhood dream crushed!

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    Mega man games are always ones that I want to get into, but whenever I try one I get frustrated super quick and put it down. I enjoy harder games sometimes. I've beaten and enjoyed games like super meat boy, vvvvvv, and Batman on the NES, but for some reason MM just feels off to me.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Super Meat Boy hits different because it has silly fun celebrating its difficulty with you. Fast to recover, punchy, you get that replay of all your lives... Meat Boy is great.

• Options
    Does MGS 2 count as retro? I picked up the HD collection for xbox a few months back and fired up Sons of Liberty for the first time in probably 17 years last night. I don't remember too much other than it being guano insane. I only played through it once unlike 1 and 3 which I've beat multiple times each. It was a solid 15 minutes before I actually started controlling snake. Hideo gonna Hideo.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    Does MGS 2 count as retro?

Sorry a game from 17 years ago is far too current. That's practically this-gen!

If it isn't built out of vacuum tubes or programmed via punch-cards then I'm afraid it's not retro.

• Options
    I had college professors that used to program on punch cards when they were students. That was some really modern education there.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Does MGS 2 count as retro? I picked up the HD collection for xbox a few months back and fired up Sons of Liberty for the first time in probably 17 years last night. I don't remember too much other than it being guano insane. I only played through it once unlike 1 and 3 which I've beat multiple times each. It was a solid 15 minutes before I actually started controlling snake. Hideo gonna Hideo.

There's a codec conversation later that puts that to shame. Still, at least that first 15 minutes is (mostly) pretty.

The game turned 20 years old a couple of weeks ago, holy crap. It's an interesting one to go back to now, because a lot of what it actually has to say, that seemed largely batshit crazy then, was in fact bang on the money. Hideo knew what was coming. An oddly prophetic game.

• Options
    Huh, I never played a MGS other than the 1st PSX. Might be worth looking at the newer ones...

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    You can just play 2 and stop there, trust me

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    I have collected the Metal Gear Series, but never beat any of the games.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    You can just play 2 and stop there, trust me

What. 3 is a masterpiece.