As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Trek] Baby Targ, Doot Doo etc. (Lower Decks S2 + Prodigy S1 + Disco S4 in spoilers)

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I very recently binged Picard and I loved it. It struck me as the best trek show of the "modern" generation of star trek by a wide margin.

The cast was excellent, the art direction and visuals were superb, and I thought the issues it tackled (synth rights and the borg reclamation) were pretty interesting. It was also extremely heartfelt! I cried a couple of times! Picard dreaming about just hanging out with Data and not wanting the dream to end was heart breaking and beautiful. They used their aged characters to great effect - these are people that have suffered terribly, but also people that love one another and are willing to risk their comfortable lives to protect the next generation.

I've been led to believe this is a pretty divisive show and I found that surprising. It was at times pretty dark, but it was also about people doing the hard work of making the galaxy a better place, either by repairing broken people or protecting the vulnerable.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Okay, Torres has been split into a human and Klingon version of herself and they are arguing.

It's great fun and I like the acting and I'm not going to think for a moment how this has got to end with them recombining two individuals into one.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    There is a long list of things that have to be "temporarily" disabled to allow most plots (in general, but we're discussing Trek) to proceed: lie detectors, transporters, communications, biofilters, basic security precautions...

Circuit breakers.

It was actually Zefram Cochrane who made the groundbreaking discovery that circuit breakers emit a warp-disruption field, which is why no warp-capable ship is equipped with them.

edit: also, seatbelts.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    They need to make ships out of whatever keeps life support and artificial gravity on. You never see damage cause them to float or run out of air except that one Enterprise episode or STVI.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I very recently binged Picard and I loved it. It struck me as the best trek show of the "modern" generation of star trek by a wide margin.

The cast was excellent, the art direction and visuals were superb, and I thought the issues it tackled (synth rights and the borg reclamation) were pretty interesting. It was also extremely heartfelt! I cried a couple of times! Picard dreaming about just hanging out with Data and not wanting the dream to end was heart breaking and beautiful. They used their aged characters to great effect - these are people that have suffered terribly, but also people that love one another and are willing to risk their comfortable lives to protect the next generation.

I've been led to believe this is a pretty divisive show and I found that surprising. It was at times pretty dark, but it was also about people doing the hard work of making the galaxy a better place, either by repairing broken people or protecting the vulnerable.

I love every new person who comes to this show and embraces it! I don't think I'd go so far as to say it's the best modern trek (Lower Decks gets that) but it's still extremely good and I can't wait to see more!

Let's hear it for the Way of Absolute Candor!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • TGalahadTGalahad Registered User regular
    This the place for people to discuss Disco S4? Haven’t seen much… maybe it’s for a reason?

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    TGalahad wrote: »
    This the place for people to discuss Disco S4? Haven’t seen much… maybe it’s for a reason?

My dad started it and liked it.

I enjoyed season 1 but just haven't watched the rest.

There is I think a consensus of folks who are huge fans here though.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Hydropolo wrote: »
    They need to make ships out of whatever keeps life support and artificial gravity on. You never see damage cause them to float or run out of air except that one Enterprise episode or STVI.

That's why the future ships in Discovery work - all the holo projectors and energy fields holding them together work because the effects budget is eaten up by battle scenes. If they ever figure out how to make their weapons pack a proper hit and resolve or avoid fights, those ships are just going to fly apart.

Hevach on
  • HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    Discovery also got pulled from nearly every international streaming service, so that's probably put a bit of a lid on potential discussion of the show.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Okay, Torres has been split into a human and Klingon version of herself and they are arguing.

It's great fun and I like the acting and I'm not going to think for a moment how this has got to end with them recombining two individuals into one.

Its funny you mentioned the phage people earlier because this is the episode I thought of when you mentioned them.

A phage guy cuts off and wears an ensign's face in an attempt to fuck Klingon Torres

Its a great episode.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Its funny you mentioned the phage people earlier because this is the episode I thought of when you mentioned them.

A phage guy cuts off and wears an ensign's face in an attempt to fuck Klingon Torres

Its a great episode.

Yeah, dude! That was wild! They take the Ensign away and then the phage guy shows up with the Ensign's fucking face stitched on!

Klingon Torres aggressively describing Klingon women's sex drive was also great.

The idea these guys can just beam out your organs is wild.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • TGalahadTGalahad Registered User regular
    Hellbore wrote: »
    Discovery also got pulled from nearly every international streaming service, so that's probably put a bit of a lid on potential discussion of the show.

Well that explains it. I went a few pages back looking to see what people thought and could tell something happened. Only reason I have access is my mother has a Paramount+ account and stays with us a couple days a week.

Anyway, that’s crappy news and is gonna lead to a lot less discussion here I imagine. Thanks for the insight.

• CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Hellbore wrote: »

Well that explains it. I went a few pages back looking to see what people thought and could tell something happened. Only reason I have access is my mother has a Paramount+ account and stays with us a couple days a week.

Anyway, that’s crappy news and is gonna lead to a lot less discussion here I imagine. Thanks for the insight.

I am itching to watch (and not talk about) Disco and watch and actually talk about Lower Decks S2, but I also have Thursday and Friday off, so have held onto them until then.

Also, that removal of international broadcast of Disco is…infuriating.

• exisexis Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

My dad started it and liked it.

I enjoyed season 1 but just haven't watched the rest.

There is I think a consensus of folks who are huge fans here though.

Disco was actually the first Trek I watched for real so I have a soft spot for it. I've enjoyed it all so far to varying extents though I do agree the constant HIGH STAKES is exhausting and self-defeating. I got to the end of S3 feeling unreasonably optimistic that maybe now they'd created enough room to work with the characters they'd established without every event needing to be galaxy-threatening. The S4 trailer was enough to dispel that.

But I've pretty much decided to accept it on it's own terms. It's not TNG, but it's not really trying to be. I'm a sucker for flashy sci-fi with impressive effects and it delivers on that. The plotting induces much eye-rolling but if you don't take it seriously it's still pretty fun. With that said I enjoyed the latest ep well enough.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The Janeway versions are some nightmare fuel.

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    we are very slowly going through TNG as a family and my son says, after the Traveler episode, "Dad, that Wesley guy is pretty cool."
    My son is 15 so there you go.

• CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Apparently something called PlutoTV will, internationally, be launching with the new Picard and Disco.

Backlash wins!

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    we are very slowly going through TNG as a family and my son says, after the Traveler episode, "Dad, that Wesley guy is pretty cool."

Well we all did and said stupid shit as kids, so I wouldn't hold it against him. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    Or they decided this problem was of such Paramount importance, they couldn't even put it on a real planet.

• BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »

Well we all did and said stupid shit as kids, so I wouldn't hold it against him. :)

Wesley was actually pretty well-targeted to the young teen demographic. He was my favorite character too when the show originally aired back in the day.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I think the people's problems with Wesley stem from season 1, I remember there were a couple of episodes early on, seemingly in a row, where it was oh give it to the wunderkind, or oh here's the boy genius, and its like Jesus let the kid be a kid.

In subsequent seasons it's way more toned down, or at least the basis for the characters exceptionalism is there, so it's not that big a deal.

Still can't believe they took him to the sex planet though. Hey kid, see if you can find something to do while we fuck it out with these horny aliens.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    The Janeway versions are some nightmare fuel.

not the weirdest thing Janeway has been transmuted into

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Wesley is fine. He's clearly a character aimed at teen fiction ideas more than the rest of the show but he's rarely intrusive outside of a few super early episodes.

And tbh at this point you could scour the first season of TNG from watch lists and probably not miss much? A Q episode here or there I guess?

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Wesley saving the day bothers me a lot less than some of the weird episodes where they wrote him like a twelve-year-old scared of cooties and going "ew!" about girls instead of like someone who has hit puberty.

rRwz9.gif
  • MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Apparently something called PlutoTV will, internationally, be launching with the new Picard and Disco.

Backlash wins!

Some countries will get it via Pluto, countries like Australia who already have Paramount+ will get it there, some others will have it available for purchase through non-specific digital platforms:
    Details via Star Trek dot com
    Where Paramount+ is available in Australia, Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Finland, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Sweden, Uruguay, and Venezuela, the first two episodes will be available Friday, November 26, with new episodes being released weekly. We are also offering Star Trek fans in these markets a new membership promotion on Paramount+ for 50% off for the first three months with code STARTREK.*
    In Austria, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom, Pluto TV, the leading free streaming television service, will drop new episodes at 9pm local time on the Pluto TV Sci-Fi channel each Friday, Saturday and Sunday, with a simulcast running on the Star Trek channel in Austria, Switzerland, and Germany. This will begin with the first two episodes on Friday, November 26.
    In the UK, Germany, France, Russia, South Korea and additional select countries, we are also making Season 4 available for purchase on participating digital platforms beginning Friday, November 26.

I'm not getting my hopes up that New Zealand counts among "additional select countries"

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I think the people's problems with Wesley stem from season 1, I remember there were a couple of episodes early on, seemingly in a row, where it was oh give it to the wunderkind, or oh here's the boy genius, and its like Jesus let the kid be a kid.

In subsequent seasons it's way more toned down, or at least the basis for the characters exceptionalism is there, so it's not that big a deal.

Still can't believe they took him to the sex planet though. Hey kid, see if you can find something to do while we fuck it out with these horny aliens.

Why wouldn't you take him to the sex planet? Wesley could use a good lay and everyone can see it.

Maclay wrote: »
    CroakerBC wrote: »

Backlash wins!

Some countries will get it via Pluto, countries like Australia who already have Paramount+ will get it there, some others will have it available for purchase through non-specific digital platforms:
    Details via Star Trek dot com
    Where Paramount+ is available in Australia, Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Finland, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Sweden, Uruguay, and Venezuela, the first two episodes will be available Friday, November 26, with new episodes being released weekly. We are also offering Star Trek fans in these markets a new membership promotion on Paramount+ for 50% off for the first three months with code STARTREK.*
    In Austria, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom, Pluto TV, the leading free streaming television service, will drop new episodes at 9pm local time on the Pluto TV Sci-Fi channel each Friday, Saturday and Sunday, with a simulcast running on the Star Trek channel in Austria, Switzerland, and Germany. This will begin with the first two episodes on Friday, November 26.
    In the UK, Germany, France, Russia, South Korea and additional select countries, we are also making Season 4 available for purchase on participating digital platforms beginning Friday, November 26.

I'm not getting my hopes up that New Zealand counts among "additional select countries"

This screams "we forgot about the rest of the world when we decided to pull this shit from Netflix".

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Why wouldn't you take him to the sex planet? Wesley could use a good lay and everyone can see it.

they did, and Sex-planet tried to kill him.

Watching Starship Mine and it's very funny to me that apparently Picard made a mental note of the one crewman's quarters who liked having a crossbow on display.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Watching Starship Mine and it's very funny to me that apparently Picard made a mental note of the one crewman's quarters who liked having a crossbow on display.

didn't that one have 'legally distinct so we don't have to pay the writer' Tuvok?

DanHibiki wrote: »

didn't that one have 'legally distinct so we don't have to pay the writer' Tuvok?

Tuvok didn't exist yet, and Tim Russ was playing a human in that episode, so no need for Tom Paricarno games.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I will have to investigate this pluto thing but sounds good so far

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I will have to investigate this pluto thing but sounds good so far

I just want you to know I misread that as "This pluto thing sounds like it'll go far" and figured it was an astronomy joke and then I spent a good minute trying to come up with an oort cloud pun until I realize I misread it.

Also, as someone who only started watching old trek this year, lemme tell you it has thrown off my entire sense of time to see DS9 crossovers in season 5 of 11.

• delf4delf4 Registered User regular

I’m pretty sure that’s Worf’s quarters.

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Wesley saving the day bothers me a lot less than some of the weird episodes where they wrote him like a twelve-year-old scared of cooties and going "ew!" about girls instead of like someone who has hit puberty.

in the Traveller episode, which is like the 3rd or 4th one, Captain Picard is literally told that Wesley is going to be the next Mozart. Picard reacts by promoting wesley to acting ensign. I think it's a reasonable action. But there's a difference between a genius teen helping and not allowing your very very competent pride of the fleet crew to solve issues.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »

they did, and Sex-planet tried to kill him.

its because he was playing catch and falling into flowers instead of getting laid

that was the actual crime he committed

playing catch with other teens is probably considered lewd on sex planet

override367 on
    The law is only enforced in one randomly chosen spot on the planet at a time. There's no indication where this spot is or when it moves. He's never getting laid with that luck. Not even O'Brien is that unlucky.

If that's the episode we're talking about, that wasn't a sex planet, it was a paradise planet. And Wesley was just having good clean fun.

This discussion has been closed.