As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I Really Hope the [Kids] are alright

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    They want to start my daughter on a new medication, but it can cause other reactions to intensify.

Why the fuck is an EpiPen $150 with insurance I fucking hate this country.

See if your insurance covers the generic. If not ask for the vial /syringe.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    As of first thing this morning, my little guys have officially been on vacation exactly one day too long

Currently on (checks calendar) day two of Thanksgiving break!

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I don't make memes that often, but when I do...

1s7h1evy3iev.jpg

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    That recommendation is changing, thankfully. It was kind of a nonsense recommendation when kids were in virtual school and I think everyone's aware on some level that 1 hour per day is deeply impractical.

The studies I've seen only say unsupervised screen time is bad. If you're with you're kids talking about shit they're watching on TV it's fine. If they're engaged in some sort of interactive play that's probably also good. If you use some dumb ass shit like Blippy as your babysitter for 2 hours it's probably not great.

• ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    The studies I've seen only say unsupervised screen time is bad. If you're with you're kids talking about shit they're watching on TV it's fine. If they're engaged in some sort of interactive play that's probably also good. If you use some dumb ass shit like Blippy as your babysitter for 2 hours it's probably not great.
    I forgot the study, but there's been work done looking into 'quality' shows and continuing to interact with the kid as fine to beneficial. They don't do a good job teaching language though, and pretty much any TV on in a room means adults talk less too.
    Also gotta go stare off into the distance sometimes to help their eyes? Not sure how true this one is.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Listen, sometimes I gotta get shit done and my kid enjoys Nintendo Switch Academy ok?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    They want to start my daughter on a new medication, but it can cause other reactions to intensify.

Why the fuck is an EpiPen $150 with insurance I fucking hate this country.

See if your insurance covers the generic. If not ask for the vial /syringe.

Did some asking. The 155 and change is for the generic. And I can't get the syringe and vial because I need to have one of the injectors for school.
    I fucking hate this country.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Robocar Poli is set in a future dystopia where 99.9% of the human race has died to an unknown virus. The few adults that remain focus their efforts on breeding (explaining why there are so many more children than adults), their every need fulfilled by the sentient robot cars that maintain the city, performing their function as if the race they serve hadn't disappeared. The 3 or so adults we see with jobs are sterile.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Bro if you wanna talk about toddler show world building you should hear some of the conversations I've had with my wife about some shows.

Take Peppa Pig, for example.
    She thinks all the humans have been wiped out (except for Santa and the Queen who are undying mutants) and the animals have evolved to inhabit the trappings of human society, but they don't have any context for the world they inherited so they're just playing at being humans (illustrated by the "Work" mummy and daddy pig do, which is just writing gibberish or punching numbers into a computer)

Whereas I think the animals are an Island of Doctor Moreau, genetic hybrid human animals situation, being contained and observed in a Truman Show esque public display. This explains why the world is so perfectly uniform and manufactured. Santa and the Queen are the humans who host the daily televised highlights from inside the Dome and on special occasions they make appearances with the animals. These are always the highest rating shows.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Bro if you wanna talk about toddler show world building you should hear some of the conversations I've had with my wife about some shows.

She thinks all the humans have been wiped out (except for Santa and the Queen who are undying mutants) and the animals have evolved to inhabit the trappings of human society, but they don't have any context for the world they inherited so they're just playing at being humans (illustrated by the "Work" mummy and daddy pig do, which is just writing gibberish or punching numbers into a computer)

Whereas I think the animals are an Island of Doctor Moreau, genetic hybrid human animals situation, being contained and observed in a Truman Show esque public display. This explains why the world is so perfectly uniform and manufactured. Santa and the Queen are the humans who host the daily televised highlights from inside the Dome and on special occasions they make appearances with the animals. These are always the highest rating shows.

Ok, now do Octonauts.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Fuckity fuck, it is looking a lot more likely that they're going to lock down schools again, just like last year. All because my government is a bigger mess of idiots than those goons in the UK. I'm just constantly so angry and sad.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

Ok, now do Octonauts.

I mean, it's obvious that Octonauts takes place in a future where no humans remain, and animals have evolved to use and advance our leftover technology for the purpose of saving and protecting other non-anthropomorphic animals.

Right?

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular

Neither of those take account for Miss Gazelle being an immortal vampire.

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    So we all acknowledge the only reason Norman Price hasn't been driven out of Ponty Pandy is because he's clearly the lovechild of Fireman Sam and Phillis. See any other red headed men?

The villains in PJ masks also go to the same school as the heroes.

Octonauts also live in a far flung post human society, where very little of our environmental destruction remains. Only a few leaking pipes.

Never let your children watch Earth to Luna. It fucking sucks.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    PJ Masks are a bunch of kids playing pretend on the playground.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Thanks for the encouragment. Feelig under the waether all the time is currently not working so well with the stress of not having found a kindergarden spot fow two years in the row and and going to the whole application and waiting and calling and waiting process again right now is having me at the end of the rope at the moment. I was not ready for that being the most stressful part of having a kid.

It doesn't stop. Guess who has nother cold plus sinusitis overlapping with hand foot mouth and two thumbs with red spots?

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    PJ Masks are a bunch of kids playing pretend on the playground.

That and dreams.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    So we all acknowledge the only reason Norman Price hasn't been driven out of Ponty Pandy is because he's clearly the lovechild of Fireman Sam and Phillis. See any other red headed men?

The villains in PJ masks also go to the same school as the heroes.

Octonauts also live in a far flung post human society, where very little of our environmental destruction remains. Only a few leaking pipes.

Never let your children watch Earth to Luna. It fucking sucks.

Is that the Netflix one with the hover razor scooters?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Wife has been away for two nights for work.

Son has been fine with me but today I dropped him off at nursery and my wife picked him up.

Apparently he was inconsolable at nursery meal time asking where his mummy was.

He's now supper clingy and won't settle in bed because he keeps asking for me, my wife, his grandparents and his nursery workers.

I guess it's some sort of separation anxiety that's kicked in again because my wife has bene away?

This is the first time my wife has been away over night for just under two years.

SharpyVII on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »

Son has been fine with me but today I dropped him off at nursery and my wife picked him up.

He's now supper clingy and won't settle in bed because he keeps asking for me, my wife, his grandparents and his nursery workers.

I guess it's some sort of separation anxiety that's kicked in again because my wife has bene away?

This is the first time my wife has been away over night for just under two years.

Oh yeah that shit is completely normal. Emotionally taxing when the kid wants anyone other than his goddamn Dad.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    SharpyVII wrote: »

Oh yeah that shit is completely normal. Emotionally taxing when the kid wants anyone other than his goddamn Dad.

I remember day 1 of mommy going back to work with our first. She had been home on paid leave for 5 months and our daughter was not happy without her mommy around. By day 2 though, daddy was pretty cool.

And since I was the stay-at-home parent, both kids now just know I'm the comfort pick for anything kid related, and are surprised when mommy doesn't know the routines. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    te5huhvr3p1v.jpeg
    Oh no!

t11vg5xf7ddc.jpeg
    Oh, ok. Phew.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Thanks for the encouragment. Feelig under the waether all the time is currently not working so well with the stress of not having found a kindergarden spot fow two years in the row and and going to the whole application and waiting and calling and waiting process again right now is having me at the end of the rope at the moment. I was not ready for that being the most stressful part of having a kid.

It doesn't stop. Guess who has nother cold plus sinusitis overlapping with hand foot mouth and two thumbs with red spots?

Also guess whose kid started puking at bedtime.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    well

she's made it almost a full week of no diapers overnight and a dry bed in the morning.

hallelujah.

of course i had just bought a brand new case of diapers. And it's still unopened. so it might just be my time to pay it forward soon

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    My daughter has a little notebook that she likes to write in before bed sometimes, like a journal or diary. Tonight when I was putting her to sleep she was writing furiously in there before looking up and asking me, "Dada, how do you spell eels?"

"Eels, like electric eels or moray eels?"

"Like eels that live underwater."

"Ok, I just wanted to be sure. E-e-l-s."

"Thank you!" And then back to furious scribbling.

I have never looked in that notebook. And I still won't. But I have never been more curious - and now a bit confused - about what she writes in there...

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    My daughter has a little notebook that she likes to write in before bed sometimes, like a journal or diary. Tonight when I was putting her to sleep she was writing furiously in there before looking up and asking me, "Dada, how do you spell eels?"

"Eels, like electric eels or moray eels?"

"Like eels that live underwater."

"Ok, I just wanted to be sure. E-e-l-s."

"Thank you!" And then back to furious scribbling.

I have never looked in that notebook. And I still won't. But I have never been more curious - and now a bit confused - about what she writes in there...

Has she been watching excellent British TV programs from 13 years ago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AckvdGbk4w

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Important update: my son says 11 as "eh-beh-bun" and it's the most adorable thing ever for many reasons not least of which is that he says it with such confidence.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Second covid shot get for the two kids.
    My daughter is already trying to get a sleepover planned with her friends ( also being vaccinated in the coming week, or already vaccinated)
    I said she had to wait at least two weeks, and she heard "in two weeks".

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
    About 2 weeks ago, Ellie starting really getting hyped up about Hanukkah.

So I did my minimum mom best and sent some links to resources/stories to her teachers, not really expecting much to come of it. It never did for me, and there were actually more Jews living where I grew up than there are here (and there weren't many then).

This weekend past I got an email from Ellie's teacher asking me to send in some picture books that I had at home for school on Monday so they could read them. Ok, yeah I can do that. I gave the warning that the story was about a violent guerilla warfare uprising that may not be appropriate for school, but I'd send some books in. So I packed Ellie's bag this morning with 3 picture books. Ellie got dressed up in a family heirloom dress that's been handed down from my mum (technically christmas and from the Scottish side of the family as it's our family tartan, but whatever) And ellie went to school.

I expected nothing more than a few books to be read, and not much else.

Imagine my surprise when the seesaw stuff came home and I see that the entire days learning was centered around Hanukkah. The kids made paper Dreidels, they read the books, Ellie answered questions, they learned about geography by talking about where the story took place in Israel and learned about making 3D shapes from a flat piece of paper.

When I went to pick Ellie up today she was absolutely *buzzing* with excitement and pride and was just so thrilled that the whole class learned about Hanukkah and they all did these cool things and they're going to spend the rest of the week learning about other celebrations around the world, but today was all about Hanukkah and isn't that just the COOLEST THING, EEMA?!?!

And honestly.

I'm so overwhelmed with the emotional release of knowing that her differences were accepted and celebrated and that the teachers actually tried to be inclusive and to teach that inclusivity and I am just....

I'm so glad my girl feel the pride in this, and not the fear, shame, and embarrassment at being different. I've teared up a lot this afternoon. I wrote the teacher a heartfelt thank you email. It's gone a long way to heal some of my trauma around my identity. Which might actually help me to help Ellie navigate through her way.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Goddamn, @lonelyahava that's beautiful.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    There should have been a spoiler warning: tears on that one, I'm at work damnit

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

My daughter lost her first tooth on Saturday at grandma's house. She woke up on Sunday sad that the tooth fairy didn't show up. I had to explain on the fly that the tooth fairy only checks for teeth at our house since she's a local Kirkland area tooth fairy.

All was right with the world when she woke up to a bag of coins. I'm pretty sure at this point that everyone in the area knows that she, 1) lost a tooth and 2) got coins for it. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    My daughter lost her first tooth on Saturday at grandma's house. She woke up on Sunday sad that the tooth fairy didn't show up. I had to explain on the fly that the tooth fairy only checks for teeth at our house since she's a local Kirkland area tooth fairy.

All was right with the world when she woke up to a bag of coins. I'm pretty sure at this point that everyone in the area knows that she, 1) lost a tooth and 2) got coins for it. :)

"Tooth fairies come with a house, and once all the kids that live that house grow up, the tooth fairy gets assigned elsewhere. So grandma's house doesn't have a tooth fairy. But don't worry, one was assigned to our house when we brought you home."

We are having to get ready for the religion conversation fight with my parents regarding my 4 yr old. They are pretty staunch Christians, and I was raised in the church they still go to. I don't necessarily have anything against following the bible as its written, and it can certainly provide a reasonable setting for a moral compass, but also I'd like to wait until Sapling can access some critical thinking regarding the whole thing before I throw her to the wolves, and also make it clear that there are other options. But I know the moment my parents realize we aren't intending to bring her to church (we've been using her being unvaccinated/COVID to avoid really getting into it)/teach her Christianity, things are going to get heated. We were over at their house on Saturday so Sapling could help decorate their tree, and the topic of wrapping presents for other people came up, and she didn't really understand giving other people presents. My mom clarified that since Christmas is Jesus's birthday, but instead of getting presents for him, he wants us to get presents for other people, and luckily I think the confusion about presents for other people sort of covered up her confusion about "Jesus's Birthday", since the only time she hears Jesus is me or sometimes my wife cursing.

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    "Oh! Jesus is the man Daddy screamed out for when he stubbed his toe yesterday. I guess he's a doctor?"

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    man how do you even attempt to stop a 13 month old from biting you

she doesn't really understand "no"

of course we physically push her away but she just laughs at us, it's all part of a game now

I don't think it's really teething (and she's never taken to teething toys much anyway)

it's just killing us that any nice hug can suddenly turn into a dinosaur attack

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • UrsusUrsus Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Aioua wrote: »

of course we physically push her away but she just laughs at us, it's all part of a game now

I don't think it's really teething (and she's never taken to teething toys much anyway)

Bite back.

It’s apparently what my mom did to me to stop me from biting. According to family legend it worked too.

I’m not serious, I should probably add. The story is true, but don’t copy it

Ursus on
    Ellie got aggressiely Yelped at, at full volume and physically removed and put into a time out.

It lasted all of about 10 seconds, but she has not bitten us since. Or anybody else.

Her best friend bit his dad last year (when the kids were 4ish) and I ended up being the one to yell at him and put him into time out (it happened in my house) because that behaviour is unacceptable. Kid still talks me to though

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

Yeah, I’m the only one that gets bitten here, it’s not fun.

Part of the reason it’s a game is your reaction, have you tried just deadpanning her and moving her away and giving her some space?