As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Streaming Services]: Thread not available, price also increased

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Preacher wrote: »
    So he signed a legal contract and then used fan pressure to get him a more favorable one? Oh man that poor dear.

He got fucked on his contract like a lot of young people in the entertainment industry and used his later fame to get the giant corporation that put him in that position to actually pay up.

This is the kind of story people cheer on.

shryke on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Didn't he make millions from the Show when it was on the air and then walked away from it? Like this isn't some struggling artist who made good. This is millionare gets more millions from bigger corporation. There is no little guy here.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Didn't he make millions from the Show when it was on the air and then walked away from it? Like this isn't some struggling artist who made good. This is millionare gets more millions from bigger corporation. There is no little guy here.

No, that's literally what it is. He signed the contract when he was a struggling artist. And then he made good and forced them to pay him for the use of the show he'd made.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    So he signed a legal contract and then used fan pressure to get him a more favorable one? Oh man that poor dear.

Do you use this logic in any other situation?

"Oh no the students signed a legal contract for their loans and are using political pressure to get a more favorable one? Oh man that poor dear"
    "Oh no the laborers signed a legal contract for their employment and are using work stoppage pressure to get a more favorable one? Oh man that poor dear"

I don't particularly care about the fate of Dave Chappelle but the context sniped quotes and hypocrisy here has me rolling my eyes a bit.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Lanlaorn wrote: »

"Oh no the students signed a legal contract for their loans and are using political pressure to get a more favorable one? Oh man that poor dear"
    "Oh no the laborers signed a legal contract for their employment and are using work stoppage pressure to get a more favorable one? Oh man that poor dear"

I don't particularly care about the fate of Dave Chappelle but the context sniped quotes and hypocrisy here has me rolling my eyes a bit.

Yeah the context between college debt for degrees that didn't do shit for earning better-paying jobs and a multimillionaire wanting more millions out of a deal he already got paid beaucoup bucks on is certainly enough to make one roll their eyes when they are equated with each other.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Lanlaorn wrote: »

Ok but like your two examples are actually bad, versus someone like Dave Chapelle who has been I'd say more than favorably compensated for his work even prior to getting more money from Netflix for his previous work by using his legion of fans to pressure a company to pay him more.

Like its not apples to apples here, I can make a distinction on why one legality is shitty as fuck like non compete clauses on fast food contracts, and a millionaire entertainer momentarily not getting paid royalties on previous work he'd been paid for.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    There is nothing wrong with leveraging social media to get money out of a giant Corp. There is also nothing wrong with leveraging social media to call out a giant star for transphobia. The only thing wrong here is that Dave sees a difference between the 2 uses. 1 is just, 2 is the dreaded Cancel Culture.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Weirdly enough I do think that a person's shitty behavior does make them a lot less sympathetic in virtually every other part of life.

Chappelle has shown his true self, which is him bring a complete asshole, I couldn't care less about his past financial mistakes.

There was some tweet I saw a while ago about someone saying they were going to start taking joy in their enemies misfortunes and I think that's something I'd like to adopt.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    After one episode of Cowboy Bebop I have thoughts. I mostly like it, the only things that make me roll my eyes are the exaggerated "look it's the same shot as the anime" moments, the goddamn dutch angles, and the choreography is a little slow...Keanu has ruined us on old men pulling off fights choreography hasn't he.

The speed racer aesthetic works, the sets are pretty great and the actors are definitely having fun.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Yeah the John Wick movies and Keanu's willingness/ability to do fight scenes has made a lot of not John Wick stuff look poor.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

No, that's literally what it is. He signed the contract when he was a struggling artist. And then he made good and forced them to pay him for the use of the show he'd made.

Dave had been in movies for ten years and I knew about him a few years earlier because hed already had an hbo special.

He wasn't a babe in the woods and he wasn't struggling, the show just ended up blowing up in an unexpected way.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    The most obvious comparison here would be people cheering on multi-millionaire Scarlette Johansson to get more money out of her company.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »
    The most obvious comparison here would be people cheering on multi-millionaire Scarlette Johansson to get more money out of her company.

Even then that's not right because like her or not she was correct her contract said the movie was to be delivered one way versus another and she was not properly paid. Dave was paid what his contract said he'd be paid, he just felt it wasn't enough and the fans helped him get more.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Question about Cowboy Bebop.
    What is going on with Mustafa Shakir's acting in this? I know the guy isn't a terrible actor but all of his lines feel...off?

I'm not super familiar with the anime, I saw it a long time ago and remember none of it. Is he just carrying through the vocal affectations of Jet in the anime?

I actually think he's the strongest of the main three. But yeah, still not great. Honestly I chalk it up to bad writing and worse direction.

I dunno, I'm finding it quite entertaining, 8 episodes in. Has kinda a Firefly feel to it (though obviously the source material predates that).

The Vicious/Julia stuff hasn't been on par with the rest, but I didn't find it terrible, though I've got no familiarity with the source.

On that, a question for someone who has watched both, how much of the original material has been covered in the live action? It's not that far off a similar runtime (26x 22m episodes vs 10x50m episodes).

Having seen the criticism of the expansion of time on those two before watching, it seems like maybe the reason the roles of those two were expanded upon was so that there was something more to deal with should it get a second season?

The one thing that weirds me out, is the prevalance of smoking. I believe this was an important character trait in the original material, but it's just weird seeing it in the current context.

The first episode is pretty similar to the first episode of the anime. The second episode has the teddy bear bomber. That happened later in the anime. They introduce Faye early. She wasn't introduced until the third episode of the anime. They really change up the data dog episode compared to the original.

Also Jet's family life in not explored in the anime and he didn't have a daughter.

The live action version is fleshing out the story and making some revisions. Dogs are valuable in the live action and really cheap in the anime.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

Even then that's not right because like her or not she was correct her contract said the movie was to be delivered one way versus another and she was not properly paid. Dave was paid what his contract said he'd be paid, he just felt it wasn't enough and the fans helped him get more.

I feel like in any of these situations, it's best to frame it as a more abstract "artist vs megacorp", because the outcomes here affect how these negotiations play out going forward, and the artist will almost always be at a disadvantage. And often "that was the deal we signed" isn't the whole story, because the entertainment industry is notorious for signing legally binding contracts that absolutely fuck over the artist. You can be a household name and still be getting screwed because you signed a ten year contract that gives you fucking peanuts and no way to escape it.

So when a Scarlett Johanson or a Taylor Swift is able to turn the tables and get a more equitable deal, it's good news, even if they're already super wealthy and are just getting wealthier. It means that someone else who isn't Taylor Swift might get a better deal down the road.

In Chappelle's case, he's a fucking asshole who should go eat a bag of dicks, and also we should be glad that he was able to negotiate a more equitable deal, since he's the artist and, without artists, the megacorps have nothing, and it's good to remind them of that.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I think the thing to take away isn't that an Asshole successfully got one over the organized Corporate Assholes.

I'd say the take away was that the Asshole was very willing to phrase things in a disingenuous manner to make himself look like the good guy.

Evaluate future public statements from Asshole with that in mind.

Like statements about his trans friend.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Okay, yeah, @ElJeffe has gotten down to the meat on how I feel about 'star versus megacorporation'.

If you appear to be (or more accurately have not revealed yourself to be a monster) then I wholly support you in doing as much damage to megacorporations as is possible. That would cover Johannsen and Swift. Taylor Swift, it must be recorded, did some grassroots organizing to try and defeat Republican incumbent Marsha Blackburn so as far as I'm concerned she's a capital A ally.

If you're an asshole (or more accurately, have used your platform to amplify vicious attacks on marginal groups) then doing any damage to a megacorporation is incidental, you're still an asshole, and the result is a wash. If you get fucked by the megacorporation, good. If you did some incidental damage, well, fine, but you're still an asshole and this isn't a pass.

More personally, I first heard Chappelle through his 'Killing Me Softly' special, which was - until recently - one of my favorite (if not absolute favorite) stand up special I've ever seen. But he's an asshole. He's an asshole who targets vulnerable people and he can get fucked.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    I think the thing to take away isn't that an Asshole successfully got one over the organized Corporate Assholes.

I'd say the take away was that the Asshole was very willing to phrase things in a disingenuous manner to make himself look like the good guy.

Evaluate future public statements from Asshole with that in mind.

Like statements about his trans friend.

I'm not sure what way he phrased the issue that was disingenuous to make himself look like the good guy. If anything this thread demonstrates that his description of the incident that was quoted makes him look less like the good guy. The actual story makes him look better. His own description just sounds funnier.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Binary Two-Step was a great live action Bebop episode.
    Next episode we find out Faye is bi.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Anime Spike is disarmingly charming. Live action Spike is disinterested asshole. Aside from all the stuff they did with Vicious and Julia, which is awful, this is probably my biggest gripe with live action Cowboy Bebop.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Anime Spike is disarmingly charming. Live action Spike is disinterested asshole. Aside from all the stuff they did with Vicious and Julia, which is awful, this is probably my biggest gripe with live action Cowboy Bebop.

I mean, anime Spike can be disarmingly charming but his default mode is disinterested asshole.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

I felt like the live action series did a decent job of making "disinterested asshole Spike" a pretty obvious defense mechanism.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Live action Spike has old guy swagger while anime Spike has young guy swagger.
    Live action Spike makes more sense if he is supposed to have a history with Vicious.
    The anime version was not that realistic in that regard unless Spike got into crime as a teenager.
    This is a guy that is supposed to have made his bones with a crime syndicate. That takes time. He had a pretty big reputation. That also takes time.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I mean, anime Spike can be disarmingly charming but his default mode is disinterested asshole.

Especially with the Japanese VO.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Live action Spike makes more sense if he is supposed to have a history with Vicious.
    The anime version was not that realistic in that regard unless Spike got into crime as a teenager.
    This is a guy that is supposed to have made his bones with a crime syndicate. That takes time. He had a pretty big reputation. That also takes time.

Anime Spike was raised into the syndicate by an adopted father I believe.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    The live action Bebop actually adds some realism to the story. The bounty hunters have been through some shit. That was what that whole scene with them comparing scars was about.
    It has a pulp fiction grittiness added to it.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Faye is more realistic. She is actually wearing clothes that a bounty hunter would wear.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Binary Two-Step
    I liked that the railgun actually worked.

Faye does call Spike grandpa. So, they are acknowledging that he is older.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    RedTide wrote: »

Anime Spike was raised into the syndicate by an adopted father I believe.

Yeah Spike's age is not weird at all in the anime. Think of the kids in The Wire. People start young.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    They have inflated Spike's syndicate reputation on the live action version. To get that big, you have to be older.

Everyone was not going around saying "Fearless" in the anime.

They are actually being more realistic with how Vicious deals with the syndicate in the live action version. Vicious was more of a loose cannon in the anime.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    There is a slice of life animoo comedy called The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated that is up on Crunchyroll. It is The Devil Is a Part Timer/Umaru-chan/Kobayashi's Dragon Maid all mixed together; Jahy is the second in command of the demon realm and is defeated by a magical girl, the crystal which powered the dark world is destroyed, and a weakened Jahy finds herself depowered and in chibi form in tokyo trying to scrap by working at a pub. Just dumb fun where the powerful protagonist learns humility. The lead voice is the same one from Uzaki Chan Wants to Hang out (much better here for Jahy), and even Mio from K-on is here as the landlord.

Just good dumb fun and you see how the manga was meme popular for a bit a year ago. First episode is free here, this is smart on Crunchyroll's part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypaW4f4NdUQ

• Options
    Here is an after show. Spoilers.
    https://youtu.be/ewAINI1az1w

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    https://www.rfa.org/english/news/korea/squidgame-11232021180155.html
    North Korea has sentenced to death a man who smuggled and sold copies of the Netflix series “Squid Game” after authorities caught seven high school students watching the Korean-language global hit show, sources in the country told RFA.

The smuggler is said to have brought a copy of Squid Game into North Korea back from China and sold USB flash drives containing the series. Sources said his sentence would be carried out by firing squad.

A student who bought a drive received a life sentence, while six others who watched the show have been sentenced to five years hard labor, and teachers and school administrators have been fired and face banishment to work in remote mines or themselves, the sources said.

When you're sitting on the couch after Thanksgiving dinner, stuffed with turkey and mashed potatoes, and you turn on the TV to stream some shows, spare a thought for North Koreans who would get five years of hard labor for doing the same.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    The most obvious comparison here would be people cheering on multi-millionaire Scarlett Johansson to get more money out of her company.

This is the key to his Silly Goose status. He used cancel culture to get what he want out of Viacom. Its only when fans call him out on his shitty views, that he has a problem with the existence of cancel culture and unlike Dave, the people calling for it don't have a financial stake in the outcome.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    https://www.rfa.org/english/news/korea/squidgame-11232021180155.html
    North Korea has sentenced to death a man who smuggled and sold copies of the Netflix series “Squid Game” after authorities caught seven high school students watching the Korean-language global hit show, sources in the country told RFA.

The smuggler is said to have brought a copy of Squid Game into North Korea back from China and sold USB flash drives containing the series. Sources said his sentence would be carried out by firing squad.

A student who bought a drive received a life sentence, while six others who watched the show have been sentenced to five years hard labor, and teachers and school administrators have been fired and face banishment to work in remote mines or themselves, the sources said.

When you're sitting on the couch after Thanksgiving dinner, stuffed with turkey and mashed potatoes, and you turn on the TV to stream some shows, spare a thought for North Koreans who would get five years of hard labor for doing the same.

Really doubting the veracity of this story.

• Options
    North Korea is nuts.

• Options
    North Korea is nuts.

And Radio Free Asia is an American propaganda outlet.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    North Korea is nuts.

It's still believable. A quick google search confirms there's a law in North Korea since 2020 that carries a five year sentence for watching forbidden TV shows.
    People who directly watch or keep South Korean movies, videos, books, songs, pictures, photos, etc., will be sentenced to between five and 15 years in prison, while those who cause the influx or dissemination of such content will be sentenced to life imprisonment or death.

• Options
    Copyright infringement is a weird thing. The film industry goes nuts over it. Only certain videogame companies go crazy over it. It is driven by who is willing to sue.

Still, this was about North Korea not allowing certain content in it's country. It is about censorship.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    North Korea is nuts.

It's still believable. A quick google search confirms there's a law in North Korea since 2020 that carries a five year sentence for watching forbidden TV shows.
    People who directly watch or keep South Korean movies, videos, books, songs, pictures, photos, etc., will be sentenced to between five and 15 years in prison, while those who cause the influx or dissemination of such content will be sentenced to life imprisonment or death.

The part that is super fishy is the fact that they only mention Squid Game. There is, evidently, a good market in North Korea for South Korean dramas in general. It seems extremely implausible to me that he would be busted with just the one show.

This discussion has been closed.