As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Chairem [Anime] Thread

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    So how does Escaflowne hold up these days? I never caught it on TV as a kid.

i only finally watched it in full a few years ago

it's something special

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Honestly I didn't feel like the second half of Escaflowne was rushed at all when I watched it.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Finished up Dynazenon. Still not as good Gridman, BUT still a good show in its own right.
    I think I'm mostly out of show ideas at the moment apart from watching an episode of Mushi Shi before bed every once in a while.

Well still watching Ranking of Kings as well and liking it, but that's stuck on one a week.
    Other ones I dabbled in but didn't get going with really that I might go back to Aquatope on the Sand and Kageki Shojo.

Have you watched Symphogear? 5 seasons of 13 episodes each on Crunchyroll (though the subtitles aren't the greatest there). There's also oavs that aren't on Crunchyroll and are worth tracking down for the comedy/character bits.

Symphogear is a sentai/magical girl show where their suits are powered by song, so they have to sing their own hype songs while fighting. It started just after Madoka (and stars Madoka's VA) so it throws dark sometimes, but unlike Madoka will also be very comedic at times.

It has great characters, great music, great action, some of the biggest hype scenes I've seen, and a main plot that basically just serves to string all those elements together.

NSFW due to barbie-doll style nudity, and the violence on the aforementioned times it throws dark.

Don't check Youtube for clips though. Because of the music rights, most unofficial clips get taken down and the only official clips are from Crunchyroll and they pretty much only posted extremely spoilery scenes from Season 5.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Haven't watched Symphogear. I still haven't watched Modoka either. There's just something about the character art that does the opposite of clicking for me. I'll remember to check out Symphogear when I swap back to Crunchy at some point. Running Funimation at the moment, trying to keep it to one or the other at a time. I think I'm going to give Eureka 7 a go. Never watched it and news of a prequel popped up and reminded me of it. I did also finally pull the trigger on picking up the Rose of Versailles anime off a Right Stuf sale having hovered on it and backed off a number of times in the past.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Getting back into SRW has me going down a dark hole that started with "Man, I should check out Gridman", and has progressed to "Maybe I should rewatch all of Mobile Suit Gundam?"

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    what about Layzner

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    watch about Layzner

Incidentally, my only point of reference on Layzner is SRW J

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Said fuck it and bought VOTOMS and Revue Starlight on sale. Maybe I'll make it all the way through VOTOMS this time.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    is the rabbit lady just a guest member of the crew? she's been around for so long now I thought she was an official member

carrot is not

she's a representative of the mink tribe and tags along as part of the massive alliance

also she got to do a rad thing once

As a proponent of rabbit ladies I think she should get to do rad things more

cool bnuuy goes nyoom at incredible high speeds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s48GqQz1PU

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    man, mieruko-chan is fun. could use a little fewer creepshots, but there's a ton of hilarious scenes so far

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    watch about Layzner

Incidentally, my only point of reference on Layzner is SRW J

Tenchi brought up Melos last night, so I had to post the Layzner OP for everyone.

https://youtu.be/fu8JsPWSjpI

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    okay gun x sword is REAL stupid and it fucking rocks

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Symphogears is a good show I would not recommend to anyone because dear god japan can you stop being creepy about highschoolers

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    yeah japan's the only country creepy about high schoolers, thank god

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    phew!

tbf it is the only country with a major cultural industry that's like 50% about sexy high school students

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    You know in America we not only have shows like Riverdale but also beauty pageants and long running reality shows about beauty pageants? Just as a starting point.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I suppose it's just a matter of difference in what is in my sphere of personal awareness

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    You know in America we not only have shows like Riverdale but also beauty pageants and long running reality shows about beauty pageants? Just as a starting point.

Cheerleaders too

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-u5WLJ9Yk4

It is definitely not a wacky Japanese thing, although sometimes they can be especially shameless about it. Although I'm sure we've outdone them plenty of times.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Little crows have arrived.

q5ebjmd8kdw8.jpg

• Options
    god gun x sword rules

finally, an anime that genuinely believes that revenge is actually sick and cool to do and doesn't destroy you as a person at all, and will grant you the peace you've been seeking

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    god gun x sword rules

finally, an anime that genuinely believes that revenge is actually sick and cool to do and doesn't destroy you as a person at all, and will grant you the peace you've been seeking

And has a mech that is piloted by pole dancing.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    as they all should be

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    It certainly would have changed the vibe of Gundam.

Not so much Aquarion or Geass though.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options

I mean I know

But symphogear has a elaborate stripper pole themed transformation sequence for a like, 14 year old

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    phew!

tbf it is the only country with a major cultural industry that's like 50% about sexy high school students

Anime??? Major???

Maybe in the 90s EyOOOOOOO

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    What you never watched the hit show Lady Hole?

Thanks. I do also have quite a bit more Space Brothers to watch. I still liked it but burnt out a bit on it in the 40s. Might be enough time to try picking it back up.

The thing about Space Brothers is that it's one of those shows that's better to watch one or two episodes a week instead of trying to bingewatch.

• Options

I mean I know

But symphogear has a elaborate stripper pole themed transformation sequence for a like, 14 year old

Insert Netflix Cuties trailer here.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

I mean I know

Insert Netflix Cuties trailer here.

cuties was made by a french-born senegalese woman

• Options
    Right

But im talking about about creepy anime shit

Because we are in the anime thread

Like I could write paragraphs about how creepy Riverdale is but thats not the discussion

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    The issue here that people were criticizing is the use of “Japan” and not “Anime” when identifying the problem of sexualizing young women in these shows.

Anime, the medium, does have this problem at large, and it is a fair criticism. But Japan is not the only nation that has this problem in its media, and it would be better to call out the issue by criticizing the medium and not the nation. Going “dammit Japan” implies it is a problem unique to Japan.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular

I mean I know

Since I brought up Symphogear, I should probably clarify on this.

The transformation sequence in question is Kirika's in Season 5. I don't remember her age, but she was a junior or senior in high school at that point, which isn't much better, but certainly isn't 14.

In Season 5, they apparently let animators design the transformation sequences for their favorite characters. This resulted in freaking awesome ones like Hibiki's, and the overly pervy one like Kirika's. Even among the Symphogear fandom Kirika's Season 5 transformation is considered a bit much (and caused a bit of a schism a few months ago when a figure of the transformation sequence was announced).

However, because the Season 5 transformation sequences are so long and elaborate, you only get to see each one once or twice in the entire season.

Also, Symphogear is certainly not in the same tier of perviness as things like High School DxD or To Love Ru or anything like that.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    all i remember about Escaflowne is when
    the catgirl twins get their blood replaced by liquid luck and then they die.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    A lot of the anime high school horny stuff doesn't bug me, in the same way that Riverdale being sexy doesn't bug me. The setting might be high school but it's a fantasy high school populated entirely by people who don't act or look anything like actual teens, they just happen to be in a high school. It's more of a fantasy for how teens want to view themselves than something I'd consider exploitative on its own, the fantasy is that they're just Adults-but-cool. Like despite us being a bunch of old fogeys anime is primarily YA targeted and being dumb and horny is, well, very relatable for the YA audience.

And yeah even with that taken for granted there's still a lot of problems inherent in like like fetishizing youthfulness and conflating cuteness with sexiness and also just not telling good stories about people who aren't kids, etc etc, but that's kinda more of a general cultural thing.

There's also a bit of catch-22 (well no that's not the right word but I'm sleepy) that anime/manga, and Japanese culture in general, tends to be pretty sexually permissive. Especially in anime the attitude is very much "well we're all a bunch of weirdos so enjoy whatever you want." Which absolutely results in some stuff every year that has all of us going, "Anime wtf is wrong with you?" no need to get further into examples than that. But that permissive attitude also means there's lots of room for stuff like queer-themed stories, for instance, or just generally stories that actually wanna talk about sexual themes in a non-pearl-clutching way.

All that being said it's not like I have any interest in defending or apologizing for certain garbage shows, I just don't think we really need to defend the industry at large from the sins of specific titles, either.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    "Never again wait ok just once more."

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    That man will only be retired when he is dead.

sig.gif
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    That man will only be retired when he is dead.

He'll be the proof ghosts exist

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I really have only seen pics and pieces of the anime but I have seen the movie which I really remember a song from more than anything from the whole series
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVTs9AngpRc

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

I really have only seen pics and pieces of the anime but I have seen the movie which I really remember a song from more than anything from the whole series
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVTs9AngpRc

i completely forgot there were a movie.

This discussion has been closed.