As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Halo Infinite/SplitGate] Halo Infinite available now! Closed Spoilers for story

• AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    It's up; it's a playlist like quick play etc. Fiesta is spawning with random weapons. It's as absurd as it sounds and is likely gonna be chaos.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Oh buddy should make getting a double kill easier

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Definitely down for some Halo shenanigans tonight

• SudsSuds Registered User regular
    It's a ton of fun. The energy sword is so overpowered in small maps.

camo_sig2.png
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    How do people usually connect for PA Halo nowadays? Discord?

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    So I tried a little big team battle and while it’s not my primary cup of tea I can see how it would be a shitload of fun playing with people and that it really sets it apart from other shooters.

I really wish you spawned with br in btb. And I’m adding that tracking burst pulse to my list of guns in never using

616610-1.png
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    So I tried a little big team battle and while it’s not my primary cup of tea I can see how it would be a shitload of fun playing with people and that it really sets it apart from other shooters.

I really wish you spawned with br in btb. And I’m adding that tracking burst pulse to my list of guns in never using

It's pretty good when you have someone trying to use cover to get away or pop you.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Anyone rank the equipment different than Grapple>Repulsor>Jets>Wall>Sensor ?

After playing Fiesta and always having equipment, it feels like theres a pretty clear heirarchy as to usefulness/power

ObiFett on
    Grapple- Hunter Dodge are the only two I like/seek out. Repulsor is just ok.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I just suffered through a 2v4 Fiesta match for some reason. It looks like about eight other people were assigned to our team beforehand, then dropped. The enemy team might have been cheating I guess, but I don't feel like I was getting aimbotted or anything. I went back and looked at the film because there was one cool thing I did, but I can't view the film from either me or my teammate's perspective, and from our enemy's perspective we are just sliding along the floor and not animating.

I used an xp boost I got from the season pass, and it just underscored how bad the challenge system is. First of all, my daily bounty is still listed as only giving 50 XP when I end a match, so I have no idea if this shit is actually really working. Second of all, think about paying money for an XP boost and then not being able to get any of your dumbass challenges done during that timeframe.

Is it just me or is there no way to see how many weekly challenges are remaining? If they're like: do all these tasks this week to get a thing, but then don't tell you how many tasks, that seems pretty fucked up

edited November 2021
    Grapple- Hunter Dodge are the only two I like/seek out. Repulsor is just ok.

You wouldn't say that if you had repulsed a rocket back at an enemy. Or used it to push a sword/hammer guy away so you can shoot them at range. Or noped a vehicle as it tried to run you over. Or just as a utility to jump hhigher/farther. I underestimated the Repulsor for a long time.

Edit: oh, and you can repulse entire groups of seeds at the same time

ObiFett on
    The timing is tight. It's fun for sure but I get a lot more work out of the other two.

edited November 2021
    Grapple is the clear best equipment, that's for sure.

They gotta up the size/resilience on the wall and the AoE of the sensor for them to even compete

ObiFett on
    edited November 2021
    august wrote: »

Is it just me or is there no way to see how many weekly challenges are remaining? If they're like: do all these tasks this week to get a thing, but then don't tell you how many tasks, that seems pretty fucked up

When you open the weekly challenge screen you can press something to see the remaining weekly challenges. It's Y on Xbox

ObiFett on
    I do like that you can stick the beacon to vehicles

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Yeah Grapple and Thrusters are about equal for me, depends on the level and my weapons. Repulsor next and then the other two.

Good games tonight Local and Zombie, we'll ride again.

Had a good double Overkill with Sword and Thrust

https://youtu.be/5PhKQhZnPgk

Dixon on
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Thrusters I feel are pretty underrated in a firefight. Doing a thrust strafe usually messes up their aiming pattern enough for you to win an otherwise even trade.

Stabbity_Style.png
    Thrusters I feel are pretty underrated in a firefight. Doing a thrust strafe usually messes up their aiming pattern enough for you to win an otherwise even trade.

I didn't know until today. You could use them in the air

• ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    Fiesta is so so fun.

@Local H Jay I haven’t played Destiny 2 in a long time but I’m loving Infinite. What do you prefer?

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    How in the blue fuck of Launch Site set as a 4v4 map? Should be 6v6 minimum, Behemoth could be 5v5 probably as well.

(This is why 4 player squads is a bad idea imo)

Popped a 2x XP and got 4 levels tonight

Feels good man

bloodyroarxx on
    edited November 2021
    Shamus wrote: »
    Fiesta is so so fun.

@Local H Jay I haven’t played Destiny 2 in a long time but I’m loving Infinite. What do you prefer?

I'm better at Destiny because I've been on it for the last 5-6 years. I like them both a lot of though! I missed these vehicles

Destiny likely has more longevity but I've needed a break for a while and this came at the right time

Local H Jay on
  • ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    Shamus wrote: »
    Fiesta is so so fun.

I'm better at Destiny because I've been on it for the last 5-6 years. I like them both a lot of though! I missed these vehicles

Destiny likely has more longevity but I've needed a break for a while and this came at the right time

The vehicles feel so good. BTB just feels right. I’m sure I’ll get jaded at some point but right now, I’m in love.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I feel like they need to add like basic trash unlocks and generic stuff and make it so they unlock just from kills and points. Like fair enough they want to keep all the radical armours for their battle pass to push paid stuff, but I feel like it would be nice if every time I killed or supported or played the objective it counted towards something, even if it was throwaway stuff like icons and banners and such

edited November 2021
    I also hope they have a saw type weapon. I’m not sure if they’re just moving away from bullet hose guns in general but I loved that thing. I’m hoping these aren’t the entirety of the Arsenal even in the single player campaign

Prohass on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Sonar might be my favorite because it's as close as you can currently come to playing support. Tossing an orb half across the map and helping my teammate murder some sword asshole because they have wallhax now is just the best. I try to make sure to spend them all before dying.

Prohass wrote: »
    I also hope they have a saw type weapon. I’m not sure if they’re just moving away from bullet hose guns in general but I loved that thing. I’m hoping these aren’t the entirety of the Arsenal even in the single player campaign

I do find the fact that guns run out of bullets in like three goes to be pretty weird for an army intending to fight an alien armada.

While I like that vehicles are snappy, I don’t like how they kind of float, like they don’t have to do reverse turns or wide turns, they turn on a dime, it doesn’t look as weighty and physical as previous halos. I hope they’re different in the campaign

edited November 2021
    Oh neat, Halo crashed when there were too many explosions. Despite me having a brand new gaming machine. GOOD JOB.

Edit: There isn't even an automated crash report system... not impressed, guys.

Incenjucar on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

I do find the fact that guns run out of bullets in like three goes to be pretty weird for an army intending to fight an alien armada.

Halo CE highlights pretty well why you can't build the weapons for campaign first and then just toss them in multiplayer afterwards. The AR had 60-round mags and carried six hundred extra shots; with good aim, that could be, what, five kills before having to reload in Infinite? The pistol killed players in three shots, instantly on a headshot, and had a potential to kill several players in one magazine and carried ten extra mags. People could turtle up defensively for obscenely long periods of time without having to go get ammo, which was boring as shit.

The low ammo counts is a pretty deliberate design decision so people can't pick one weapon and lean on it to wipe out four other players in seconds without having to reload, and to prevent people from just squatting in one place. You can still kill multiple people fast, but you have to be good with grenades, positioning, aiming, and switching weapons when needed. You can defend a place, but you're gonna run out of shots sooner rather than later if you aren't out in the map getting stuff.

So yeah, it's thematically a little weird, but it's because they want balanced MP guns and fun gameplay over "sensible" armament in singleplayer.

Halo CE highlights pretty well why you can't build the weapons for campaign first and then just toss them in multiplayer afterwards. The AR had 60-round mags and carried six hundred extra shots; with good aim, that could be, what, five kills before having to reload in Infinite? The pistol killed players in three shots, instantly on a headshot, and had a potential to kill several players in one magazine and carried ten extra mags. People could turtle up defensively for obscenely long periods of time without having to go get ammo, which was boring as shit.

The low ammo counts is a pretty deliberate design decision so people can't pick one weapon and lean on it to wipe out four other players in seconds without having to reload, and to prevent people from just squatting in one place. You can still kill multiple people fast, but you have to be good with grenades, positioning, aiming, and switching weapons when needed. You can defend a place, but you're gonna run out of shots sooner rather than later if you aren't out in the map getting stuff.

So yeah, it's thematically a little weird, but it's because they want balanced MP guns and fun gameplay over "sensible" armament in singleplayer.

It becomes more of an issue when there are so many different guns on the field, and so many are not helpful at range, so you can't easily reload even something like your standard issue weapon. It gets extra irritating when the ground gets covered in your special ability mods and you have to stop and flip through a pile of garbage to get a weapon with a bullet or two in it.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Equipment for me is Grapple > Boost > Beacon > Wall > Repulsor. Repulsor requires you to be good enough at the game to predict what other players will do and when so you can parry their attacks and since I'm not at that skill level nor do I ever expect to be at that skill level, they're bottom tier for me. The Wall is too tiny to be useful anywhere except for the small interior maps with hallways and whatnot. The Beacon I've used to great effect when trying to keep track of people and/or find people hiding (especially if I die afterwards, so teammates can clean up). The Boost is not something the opponent can assume you have until you use it, so it's very effective at giving you the upper hand in a 1:1 fight. And the grapple gives you so many movement options, including making hijacking vehicles easier, that it's 100% the top tier equipment item.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I gotta say, I don't like challenges that require you to win a match. Topping the leaderboard and still losing cause your team sucks when you need wins for a challenge triggers all the toxic gamer parts of my brain and it's not fun. They've already got ones that are just "play 3 matches of x type" or whatever, and those don't do that, so I'd prefer if they kept it to those.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I have completed my placement matches for ranked.

Gold 2.

I think that makes me....average? Fuck I dunno.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Why are event challenges using the same slots as normal challenges? Also, why are weapon drills randomized instead of deterministic? The difference between having a bot spawn where you're currently looking/shooting and/or very close to you versus it spawning off screen or very far away can be all the difference between getting a 3* and a 2*

Karl wrote: »
    I have completed my placement matches for ranked.

Gold 2.

I think that makes me....average? Fuck I dunno.

Close, Gold 6/Plat 1 is the very middle of the rankings

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Just below average

Good enough

I gotta say, I don't like challenges that require you to win a match. Topping the leaderboard and still losing cause your team sucks when you need wins for a challenge triggers all the toxic gamer parts of my brain and it's not fun. They've already got ones that are just "play 3 matches of x type" or whatever, and those don't do that, so I'd prefer if they kept it to those.

Luckily the win match challenges can be mostly ignored. For instance, I had one to win 3 quick play matches and all that meant was I queued into quick play and focused on my other challenges. Eventually I won 3 but I didnt even pay attention to it while I was doing the other stuff.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

It becomes more of an issue when there are so many different guns on the field, and so many are not helpful at range, so you can't easily reload even something like your standard issue weapon. It gets extra irritating when the ground gets covered in your special ability mods and you have to stop and flip through a pile of garbage to get a weapon with a bullet or two in it.

On the point of special abilities, I'm strongly of the opinion that 343 should've taken aaaaallllll the moaning from the "pro" crowd and told them to shove it up their own asses, then continued with armor abilities. Just let me pick my damn special ability, drop the ammo crap, and put them on a cooldown for balance; you even have them recharge to a certain count so that people can still do fun grapple stuff without just slinging around 99% of the time. Things like a grappling hook having "ammo" is fucking stupid, walling off the fun, creative stuff instead of making it ubiquitous is a stupid piece of game design.

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else