As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Halo Infinite/SplitGate] Halo Infinite available now! Closed Spoilers for story

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    If everyone could pick their own abilities and start with them, this game would just be spiderman with guns. It would be obnoxious

• DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    it would be amazing

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Fiesta spawns with armor abilities and it seems alright. I think for big team a movement ability would be keen, even if it was only a few uses.

• mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    If everyone could pick their own abilities and start with them, this game would just be spiderman with guns. It would be obnoxious

It would be Titanfall

Titanfall was fuckin rad

But I don't want Titanfall, I want halo, which this game has nailed, imo. Vehicles would be nearly useless since everyone would be jacking them all the time. And movement would be way too insane and frankly ruin the combat.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Fiesta is fun but man I'm getting murdered at times. Oh well fun times!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Played a few Fiesta matches last night. The melee weapons in Fiesta are just... its too easy. If you get either the sword or hammer (and god pity the other team if you also get the dash ability) its just a guaranteed killing spree until you run into someone with a rocket launcher or melee weapon of their own, and even then its still just a matter of who gets the jump on who.

website_header.jpg
    Use the Repulsor on melee dudes in Fiesta.

• AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    Played a few Fiesta matches last night. The melee weapons in Fiesta are just... its too easy. If you get either the sword or hammer (and god pity the other team if you also get the dash ability) its just a guaranteed killing spree until you run into someone with a rocket launcher or melee weapon of their own, and even then its still just a matter of who gets the jump on who.

Yep! that's how fiesta has been forever.

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »

It would be Titanfall

Titanfall was fuckin rad

Titanfall is still rad.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    Use the Repulsor on melee dudes in Fiesta.

This works really really well. You can even see the guy with the sword realize that he's fucked up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coSqZy7z0Ho

camo_sig2.png
  • hemmelighthemmelight Registered User regular
    As someone who's pretty bad at Halo, I'm finding Fiesta more frustrating then fun.
    The good players destroy me with their snipers or whatever before I can even get close with a sword.

I'll probably play to rank 5 to get the armour core and go back to my bot matches to git gud :bigfrown:

• AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Aaaaahhh, that's why people are lasting so long with the melee weapons.... You can restock ammo from dropped swords/hammers now.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I think in Halo Reach atleast, the mode had weapon pickups turned off too so you couldn't keep picking up the same weapon

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    If you have thrusters though you can negate repulsor immediately, same with grapple its just slower.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Is there a good button to swap melee with on a controller? I keep accidentally pressing down on the right stick and I end up meleeing right out of mid-fire which ends up with me getting shot down half the time.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Is there a good button to swap melee with on a controller? I keep accidentally pressing down on the right stick and I end up meleeing right out of mid-fire which ends up with me getting shot down half the time.

I had the same problem and I switched to Legacy layout to deal with it. Since Halo isn't a game about aiming down sights, having zoom on right stick click works fine for my purposes (especially since it's a mode change button for some guns).

• DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I’m a little concerned that I’ve thrown off the game’s SBMM somehow, I used to be doing great but I’m having a rough time of it today.

Ah well, that’s MP for you. Hopefully it’ll all even out over time.

Edit: Probably just a stream of bad luck.

Darlan on
    Darlan wrote: »
    I’m a little concerned that I’ve thrown off the game’s SBMM somehow, I used to be doing great but I’m having a rough time of it today.

Hopefully it’ll all even out over time.

Depending on the mode you're in you're probably running into less skilled players doing fiesta more than other modes.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »

I personally like using right bumper for melee. It’s tough to hit accidentally, but it allows quick and easy access when you do need it (which is a lot in this game). Then I assign the item to B button. Some people like to swap those two, and I may try that out at some point as I get more comfortable with using items, but for me melee is the third most important action behind fire and grenades, so I always want it available without having to move off of the right analog stick.

I might try moving jump to left bumper at some point too. I used that scheme when I used to play a lot of Titanfall, and it worked really well, but movement was also way more important in that game. Infinite is definitely faster than previous Halo games though, so it may be a switch worth making.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    can someone explain the event leveling to me? I have a battlepass level, but then there are event rewards that seem tied to the event and a separate level? But I don't see the bar to figure out how much i need to get to the next one.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    can someone explain the event leveling to me? I have a battlepass level, but then there are event rewards that seem tied to the event and a separate level? But I don't see the bar to figure out how much i need to get to the next one.

Event rewards are different in that you get one each time you complete an event challenge.

Regular challenges just earn you exp, which goes towards leveling your battle pass.

Both set of challenges are listed together, so to get more to appear you need to complete any challenges you have currently.

Is there no way to force a sort of game? I have three weekly challenges that want me to be playing slayer and it keeps...being ctf

What's nice though is that event challenges also award season pass exp. So its not an either or.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I do not like that they have challenges that require you to be failing.

Man, I have not played a ton of halo in my life. I played Halo 2 when it came out, like, the campaign and not the multiplayer. But I have played years of Destiny 2 multiplayer and it is so funny to see those skills translate. Specifically with how beefy the melee is. Like, just bum rushing dudes and thwacking them with my gun works just as well as in D2.

Incenjucar wrote: »

Only one I could think of is killing people trying to recap a flag, I just rerolled that shit because it was impossible for me.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited November 2021
    Preacher wrote: »

Only one I could think of is killing people trying to recap a flag, I just rerolled that shit because it was impossible for me.

Fiesta has one that requires you to interrupt a Killing Spree. FIVE times.

Incenjucar on

Yikes

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Man, I have not played a ton of halo in my life. I played Halo 2 when it came out, like, the campaign and not the multiplayer. But I have played years of Destiny 2 multiplayer and it is so funny to see those skills translate. Specifically with how beefy the melee is. Like, just bum rushing dudes and thwacking them with my gun works just as well as in D2.

The halo melee is the great equalizer.

The classic halo maneuver if you get jumped, you shoot back knowing you can’t win a straight gun fight. You throw the melee at the last moment.

The other player realizes this and has to throw a melee cause what else can they do.

Then you kill each other.

This was every AR fight in the older halo games. The new one is better at range so not as often.

Dixon on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

Yikes

Not the worst one to get for Fiesta, honestly, or at least feels more doable to me than the "destroy five enemy warthogs" one

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    I've been noticing that, in addition to the crashes, the fire weapon button sometimes doesn't work. It's very, very common on the banshee, but I just had it happen with an assault rifle.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    But I don't want Titanfall, I want halo, which this game has nailed, imo. Vehicles would be nearly useless since everyone would be jacking them all the time. And movement would be way too insane and frankly ruin the combat.

Except I already exactly specified how to prevent this without putting a stupid wall around the fun items. Everybody can store two grapple shots, then you put a reasonably long timer on each single recharge. So if you burn both shots when you spawn, you have to wait a minute or two to get them both back. And from there, you can put the same cooldown balance on the other equipment because not everybody is going to pick grapple. Titanfall 2 had the grapple and it was far, far from the default equipment choice because it was actually balanced against other equipment. And now everybody can pick equipment they like and work well with, but they can't spam it and instead have to be smart with it but without just being lucky enough to pick it up in a map and then also find a situation to use it.

Fine, we don't want a repeat of Armor Lock turning games into a slog. It's dead easy to design the equipment to not let that kind of stale meta happen, without silly anti-fun nonsense like making equipment a limited ammo-based pickup.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    When I use a Challenge Swap, it doesn't swap the challenge I select and instead swaps a challenge I didn't select. What the fuck?

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

Except I already exactly specified how to prevent this without putting a stupid wall around the fun items. Everybody can store two grapple shots, then you put a reasonably long timer on each single recharge. So if you burn both shots when you spawn, you have to wait a minute or two to get them both back. And from there, you can put the same cooldown balance on the other equipment because not everybody is going to pick grapple. Titanfall 2 had the grapple and it was far, far from the default equipment choice because it was actually balanced against other equipment. And now everybody can pick equipment they like and work well with, but they can't spam it and instead have to be smart with it but without just being lucky enough to pick it up in a map and then also find a situation to use it.

Fine, we don't want a repeat of Armor Lock turning games into a slog. It's dead easy to design the equipment to not let that kind of stale meta happen, without silly anti-fun nonsense like making equipment a limited ammo-based pickup.

Alternatively put a game mode in that allows for loadouts and just put it on the main menu

And then use Titanfall 2's matchmaking selector system that for some reason no one else uses even though it's fucking perfect

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    So I just had a game where I loaded into the match, had no UI, and after the first death could only do team chat and move. Couldn't jump, fire, switch weapons, etc. Then the game crashed. Imagine if they had launched this game on time.

Man, the pulse carbine seems to really, really suck.

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Man, the pulse carbine seems to really, really suck.

Yeah like I it’s an auto lose button. I get why it’s weak because if it was good it’d be insane. Maybe it needs an alternative fire mode when the burst is faster but doesn’t track? Cause right now you literally can’t kill anyone with it.

616610-1.png
    I've actually had a lot of success with the pulse carbine, but it requires your enemies to be avoiding you.

So are the normal weekly challenges finite?