As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Extraction. Exploitation. Tubes. [Satisfactory]

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    Update 5 out for really real out of experimental
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y4vILmorZ0

I just want to put it out there how good these guys are at making trailers.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Doc wrote: »
    Exhausting a single node is a massive undertaking.

Doing two is probably like ~20% more work, if you do it all at the same time.

I don't really agree here. You're massively increasing the various resources you need to bring in, and complicating your logistics chain significantly - you can simplify some but droning in the raw resources, but even then... (And I'd be leery about relying on drones for a project like this)

Plus at the other end you've got to build all the plants and get the water in to them, which is a serious challenge given the damn daft invisible water and things.

And again... What do you even need that much power for? 175kmw is an insane amount.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Doc wrote: »
    Exhausting a single node is a massive undertaking.

Doing two is probably like ~20% more work, if you do it all at the same time.

I don't really agree here. You're massively increasing the various resources you need to bring in, and complicating your logistics chain significantly - you can simplify some but droning in the raw resources, but even then... (And I'd be leery about relying on drones for a project like this)

Plus at the other end you've got to build all the plants and get the water in to them, which is a serious challenge given the damn daft invisible water and things.

And again... What do you even need that much power for? 175kmw is an insane amount.

Fair points, I'll revise.

Build your mid/late-game factories with enough modularity that you can easily double the capacity of each part of the supply chain without having to tear them down.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Is there any noise on when this might actually be leaving EA?

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    ED! wrote: »

It's a "when it's done" situation. I could only speculate on how much work they are planning on doing before 1.0, but I'm not expecting it to be finished before 2023 at the earliest.

Undead Scottsman on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited November 2021

It's a "when it's done" situation. I could only speculation on how much work they are planning on doing before 1.0, but I'm not expecting it to be finished before 2023 at the earliest.

I guess could be made that each update is a "point" in the beta path, so we might be around beta 0.5. They are rapidly dialing in the mechanics of the game, and I imagine in the next couple updates we'll see the story drop in, and the sommersloops, Mercer Spheres and SAM ore actually come into use.

I still want teleporters and an end game of a factory on the moon.

I bet update 6 is the final re-work of the terrain (Barring cosmetic passes on plant positions and stuff) and update 7 finishes the tech tree and 8 & 9 are the story implementation.

webguy20 on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

I believe the official response is that the devs don't know and that it'll be done when it's done.

It might have hit 1.0 a year from now, but it also might not have.

Also they've realized how much the player base wants cosmetic tools for building and how its a feature that really differentiates it between Factorio and Dyson Sphere Project. I bet every project includes even more factory building tools.

Give me my damn equipment zooping!

edited November 2021
    webguy20 wrote: »

It's a "when it's done" situation. I could only speculation on how much work they are planning on doing before 1.0, but I'm not expecting it to be finished before 2023 at the earliest.

I guess could be made that each update is a "point" in the beta path, so we might be around beta 0.5. They are rapidly dialing in the mechanics of the game, and I imagine in the next couple updates we'll see the story drop in, and the sommersloops, Mercer Spheres and SAM ore actually come into use.

I still want teleporters and an end game of a factory on the moon.

I bet update 6 is the final re-work of the terrain (Barring cosmetic passes on plant positions and stuff) and update 7 finishes the tech tree and 8 & 9 are the story implementation.

They've said the story stuff won't hit until 1.0 so we shouldn't see that on Early Access (unless it's very late early access)

Ignoring the first update, they've been pretty consistent in adding new tiers in every other update. Update 2 added Tier 7 and Update 4 added Tier 8, so I'd suspect Tier 9 would be in Update 6.

Announced stuff that's yet to be implemented.
    -Tier 9
    -Superposition Oscillators and Quantum Computer production and utilization
    -Spire Coast biome rework
    -Updates to the Red Jungle, Desert Canyon, Titan Forest, Swamp and Abyss Cliffs biomes as well as various caves
    -Giant Crab Boss
    -Equipment rework
    -S.A.M. Ore (Story related)
    -Summersloops and Mercer Spheres (Story related)
    -The Story in general.

I could see Update 6 being the Tier 9 update and Update 7 being the last bit work needed before the push for 1.0. Given they put out 1-2 major updates a year, that makes 2023 the likely release window by my logic.

Undead Scottsman on
    Floor holes pull good double duty in looking the part to route power cables between floors. Also I love you can delete the foundation and the floor hole stays in place. Lets you REALLY stretch out conveyor lifts without it looking goofy.

644oewl04ovr.jpg

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    As Update 5 hit EA I started a new save last night. Thought I'd start up in a new area to see more of the world.

Booped the thing for iron ore, found some nodes and headed towards them.

10 minutes of wandering later and I'm stood in the exact same point I started my first ever factory

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    Ugh. I think Ima need to relocate my steel foundry. Trying to run the belts last night was not fun. I was thinking of using the two Pure coal nodes in Dune Desert but it's really far from the Pure Iron leading to long ass belts.

Was thinking of utilizing Normal Coal and Iron to make it instead.

Course here I am just making foundries and not sure what the plan was once making them; besides just base materials (plates, screws, etc).

Thinking I need to shift my thinking. By that I mean I need to work backwards from the goal. Example: Want to make X of Y and then set up a factory to do that in "this area". Then have X of Y made in a different location.

Problem is I like having modular design if I need to in increase my production of "X" later. Also am unsure of where to start along the line. Meaning that the current/previous plan was having a location make a lot of Steel, then make that into Beams, Pipes, and Screws. Then have that made into what uses those nearby.

Problem is I tore down my production when I moved from Northern Forrest to Dune Desert. I haven't really set anything else up while I am trying to make my "big foundries" so I have had to make a lot of stuff by hand, which is annoying and seems to defeat the purpose of the game.

Anybody got some good ideas/plans for a modular foundry for steel/alloy recipe production that allows for possible expansion? Or any ideas for how to maybe shift my thinking/playing?

Thanks. I do love the game, just seem oddly stalled like I'm spinning my wheels.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    This is why you getcha transportation up and running.

Dune Desert is about as perfect as could be to setup tractors - i think you can even run them off coal, which simplifies your logistics noticeably. Costs you a bit of potential production, but that's okay - your goal here would be to bootstrap your steel production.

PLus, you should be able to get to the Pure Steel recipe pretty fast, which lets you combine Iron Ingots and Coal to produce steel at a crazy rate. So you could mine and make Iron Ingots onsite, then ship them via tractor to your coal and start up forging.

The other thing would be... just dont be afraid to experiment. Me, i've really leaned into using satisfactorytools's production planner as a base point, and then i tweak it via enabling/disabling recipes, and use that as a basic map to get up and going for building things. From there, i just test out what works for me in game, and if it's not working, i tear it down and rebuild.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Just use really long belts to bring all your raw resources to one place

2x39jD4.jpg
    longbelts 4 life

Kwoaru wrote: »
    Just use really long belts to bring all your raw resources to one place

I was almost thinking of a different path. Like have a modular factory on the iron "over there" to make X (from ore to ingot to X) then have X shipped to a central fabrication facility. So the Iron would go from ore to ingot to rods to frames where that Iron nodes is(are if multiple). Then have the frames shipped in.

The annoying thing is the foundry Iron/Copper alloy recipes the other ore as well. And finding the Iron near a copper is a bit annoying, especially since a Pure Iron would be near nothing but impure Copper or something akin to that.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
    edited November 2021
    This is why you getcha transportation up and running.

Dune Desert is about as perfect as could be to setup tractors - i think you can even run them off coal, which simplifies your logistics noticeably. Costs you a bit of potential production, but that's okay - your goal here would be to bootstrap your steel production.

PLus, you should be able to get to the Pure Steel recipe pretty fast, which lets you combine Iron Ingots and Coal to produce steel at a crazy rate. So you could mine and make Iron Ingots onsite, then ship them via tractor to your coal and start up forging.

The other thing would be... just dont be afraid to experiment. Me, i've really leaned into using satisfactorytools's production planner as a base point, and then i tweak it via enabling/disabling recipes, and use that as a basic map to get up and going for building things. From there, i just test out what works for me in game, and if it's not working, i tear it down and rebuild.

Also what space elevator goals do you have and what tiers do you have unlocked?

Like I'm in the northern forest and am working on phase 3 space elevator parts. I decided i wanted 5min modular motors and 1min of the computer thing, and am working backwards from there for production capacity. I try to line things up so im using a high percentage of whatever nodes im tapping. Im not a 100% efficiency player, so a little waste im not worried about.

Finally, once you’re around tier 6 with mark 4 belts I'm of the mind that you stop tearing stuff down. Build for your goals, make it pretty if you want and then move to a new area if needed for the next set of goals.

Like I'm not going to tear down my iron alloy foundries when i get the pure iron recipe, ill just tap some new nodes when i get to that point.

webguy20 on
    edited November 2021
    I got Tier 6 unlocked from the same save but months ago. I have mk4 belts and mk2 pipes.

Also, as far as not tearing anything down, what I have "up" is a skeleton. It's a foundry with logistics wired and belted, but it is soo dam far away from both Iron and Coal that stretching the mk4 belts for it is kinda expensive right now. Especially since I don't have production up since I made the move from Northern Forrest to Dune Desert so I am making a lot of the stuff manually (steal beams, rotors, etc.)

I think I will set it up to be a satellite setup if I can. Meaning pick a spot with nodes and make a intermediate product on site. Like find an area with Iron and Copper for smelt into Ingot then have a facility make rods then that into frames. Then have logistics bring those frames to a central place in the Dune Desert. I guess I can just scale down any Pure I find to match the output of non pure nodes. Seems like a lot of Pure Iron near Copper in Dune Desert but not a lot near Pure Copper, just normal/impure. I suppose I'll just combine and balance the non pure to sync with the Pure's output.

RightfulSin on
    Regular Motor assembly up and running for Modular motors. The constructor level is a lot messier than the assembler level! The assemblers will eventually deliver their motors to the next floor up which is the a short level to do belting for the fabricators (whatever the 4 input devices are called). I forgot about my smart plating assemblers though, so they'll be a floor above the fabricators and will deliver their smart plating down. It should still look cool.

045tzxn10li4.jpg
    q2o9yqklyb98.jpg
    mz1b7fzfnhox.jpg

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    @Radiation

I started a server if you're interested! It's on the mountain biome and since I'm in Hawaii I'm technically up as late as you are.

• a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Ultra efficient Update 5 factory up and running.
    ebkq38q2w3uv.jpg

Number One Tricky
    If you're using the workbench to construct, the space bar also works, and it's a lot easier to balance stuff against it.

edited November 2021
    If you press once instead of hold, it'll auto-craft. :)

Undead Scottsman on

WHAT

It's one of the latest and most significant changes

Game. Changer.

Number One Tricky
    It's a backronym but I'm really happy coming up with Frontier Acquisition and Industrialization Liaisons Inc.

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    As Update 5 hit EA I started a new save last night. Thought I'd start up in a new area to see more of the world.

10 minutes of wandering later and I'm stood in the exact same point I started my first ever factory

"This time," I think to myself, "this time I'll make it neater"

Two hours later..

"Fuck it, run a belt through there. I don't even have assemblers unlocked yet"

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
    edited November 2021
    I'm slowly building up my phase 3 tower. I have 4 floors dedicated to the modular engines and will probably need at least three more for for the adaptive control units. I already have Circuit boards and computers being made off site, so I can just train those in, Automated wiring is easy, I can just produce that in the tower, along with Heavy modular frames. though I think I'd prefer to do heavy encased frames. We'll see if I can't scrounge up the recipe.

webguy20 on

Two hours later..

I am a pious follower of spaghet and never even try. Production working out okay over here? Cool, we'll just connect a bunch of belts to containers in this new space over here.

Quid wrote: »

Two hours later..

I am a pious follower of spaghet and never even try. Production working out okay over here? Cool, we'll just connect a bunch of belts to containers in this new space over here.

Thats why I hide my mess in subfloors. Lets me have nice pretty constructor and assembly levels, but god help you if you look under the floor!

REVEL IN THE SPAGHET

Shit, now that I can make signs I can start putting up propaganda

At least you can label the spaghetti now.

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    At least you can label the spaghetti now.

"This place is not a place of honor... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here."

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    "Gaze on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    Well

We're despairing

But probably not for the reason you'd like

I just keep the spaghetti and smear slug juice and mk5 belts all over it.

Number One Tricky
    Hooray! Modular Engines!
    kw0zxdz624hr.jpg

This kind of thing is my favorite part of the game. The dense complex interweaving logistics. I wish I could share video. Just watching all the machines working, things traveling across belts and up lifts. I want it as a screen saver.
    kub5hwk4nyaq.jpg

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    One of these days I should try to actually build a well-planned factory and not just organically plant foundations and machines when I want to make something new.

...One of these days.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    Ianator wrote: »
    One of these days I should try to actually build a well-planned factory and not just organically plant foundations and machines when I want to make something new.

...One of these days.

I mean, I made some mistakes with this one. Luckily I was able to cram things in. You can definitely see some clipping in the one image, but as long as it's not too bad I don't mind. I care a lot more about making sure conveyors are straight and turn at right angles and things like that. Now its time to start planning out the Adaptive control units. I need to be able to produce 3/min to cover the Thermal Propulsion rockets later on.