As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tech] It's for grownups! And sometimes kids!

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    what if they just used the tunnels as pedestrian walkways instead to avoid folks dying from sun exposure during our continued climate disaster???

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Hah hah good one

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Interesting to see how they'll get around the CPUC:

https://docs.cpuc.ca.gov/PUBLISHED/GENERAL_ORDER/1295.htm

9.05 EMERGENCY WALKWAYS. An unobstructed emergency walkway at least thirty (30) inches wide and accessible to persons getting off disabled trains shall be provided along all trackage in subways, tunnels, on bridges, and on alignment Classifications 9.04a, 9.04b(l), and 9.04b(2). Walkways shall have a reasonably regular surface and shall not have a slope exceeding one (1) foot vertical to six (6) feet horizontal. A single walkway may serve more than one track.

Narrator: They won't.

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    The plebs will only be allowed in the car hole to do repairs and clear out debris.

and operate a counterfeit jeans ring

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Yeah this shitty idea is a grift based primarily on a high speed subway only for rich white people

It's based on racism and classism

Were these ever to get built, whomever manages it can look forward to the rudest possible customer base.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

Instead of meeting us at the table—reminder, we're available to bargain today!—management is now trying to intimidate us. We will stand strong and united! Don't cross the picket line, and if you're able, please consider supporting our strike fund: https://t.co/1T0zwVkTK5

• Options
    Well, NYT finally locked Wirecutter behind a paywall, so this will be an easy one.

But also, goddamn, all of Wirecutter striking from Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday is a big deal. That’s by far the busiest 5 day span of the entire year for them.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i ended my NYT sub a few years ago when they took the recipe/cooking feature out of the standard subscription, so I can sympathize

i think i was paying 25 dollars a month? and they wanted another 10 on top of that just for the recipes, lol

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    The recipes are like $4 a month and the benefit of separating them is I can subscribe to that and nothing else on NYT

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    ok yeah sure whatever, if you want to only buy the recipes, thats great, good option, but i was already giving these mfers a huge premium subscription (for many years, mind you) and they *locked me out of the recipes*

Jasconius on
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Wirecutter was increasingly like bad consumer reports anyway. "Hey here is something we had no one test and just ran analytics on the reviews for! Sounds legit, here is our affiliate link!" Granted I'm sure that model worked great, and I get it, but I can get non-review reviews anywhere else.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Wirecutter used to be one of my go-to's but ever since the acquisition they test far too few products to really give enough solid advice. It's almost as if they just look at what the top products on Amazon are for something and just suggest those ones without doing any real in depth testing. Just anecdotes and observations.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I need to figure out a new product-recommendation site as an alternative to wirecutter. Has it been established that there are... I dunno, like procedurally generated fake review sites out there? I feel like when I do a google search for recommendations, the results are suspiciously on point. Like I'll search for "what's the best cheese grater" and i'll get a link to "cheesegraterreviews.com's top 15 cheese graters of 2021" and the website is all polished and real-looking and like "We at CheeseGraterReviews.com have been researching and recommending our favorite cheese graters for the past 12 years"

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yeah search algorithms feel all gamed to hell

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I need to figure out a new product-recommendation site as an alternative to wirecutter. Has it been established that there are... I dunno, like procedurally generated fake review sites out there? I feel like when I do a google search for recommendations, the results are suspiciously on point. Like I'll search for "what's the best cheese grater" and i'll get a link to "cheesegraterreviews.com's top 15 cheese graters of 2021" and the website is all polished and real-looking and like "We at CheeseGraterReviews.com have been researching and recommending our favorite cheese graters for the past 12 years"

Yeah, there are thousands of those junk sites and it’s seriously like a handful of people who run them as affiliate revenue/ad revenue farms. It’s all run on templates, and in most cases in addition to the affiliate revenue, those sites charge the manufacturers obscene amounts of money to be listed on their “top ten”.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I like the America's Test Kitchen Gearheads reviews. They obviously don't cover everything though.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    America’s Test Kitchen is real good for anything kitchen related, yeah. I haven’t really found anything in the same ballpark for stuff like consumer electronics or appliances outside of Wirecutter, unfortunately.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    For specific, but extremely in-depth reviews of TVs, headphones, monitors, soundbars, various peripherals like mice and keyboards, and a few other miscellaneous appliances, rtings.com is worth a click and their site isn’t bogged down by clickbait bullshit. In fact it looks like they’ve been broadening their categories so enjoy it before someone buys them.

• Options
    My only gripe with Rtings is that it’s the driest, most by the numbers, specs-only sort of reviews imaginable. Not bad for TVs and monitors where it’s shockingly hard to get reliable info about response times, color accuracy, inputs, HDR support, etc. but for a lot of things I would just want more of a high quality real-world usage review sort of thing, with more of a slant towards usability, quirks, etc.

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    spono wrote: »
    Interesting to see how they'll get around the CPUC:

https://docs.cpuc.ca.gov/PUBLISHED/GENERAL_ORDER/1295.htm

9.05 EMERGENCY WALKWAYS. An unobstructed emergency walkway at least thirty (30) inches wide and accessible to persons getting off disabled trains shall be provided along all trackage in subways, tunnels, on bridges, and on alignment Classifications 9.04a, 9.04b(l), and 9.04b(2). Walkways shall have a reasonably regular surface and shall not have a slope exceeding one (1) foot vertical to six (6) feet horizontal. A single walkway may serve more than one track.

Narrator: They won't.

Seems pretty clear to me that they won’t get into trouble. They will argue that they are running a private car pipeline, not tunnel due to a hyper specific interpretation.

To be clear, this is bullshit and they should all be fired out of a very large pipeline into the sun.

Ethea on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I still would put money on no Hyperloop ever opening for public operation, it's bullshit from to to bottom. I read some old articles from 2013 about it and the transition from "extreme high speed underground train" to "underground car mover I guess" just illustrated that those assholes are grasping at straws in an attempt to keep the business going.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Peen wrote: »
    I still would put money on no Hyperloop ever opening for public operation, it's bullshit from to to bottom. I read some old articles from 2013 about it and the transition from "extreme high speed underground train" to "underground car mover I guess" just illustrated that those assholes are grasping at straws in an attempt to keep the business going.

So they are two different concepts at this point. There is an underground people mover in Vegas that is operational that is made by the Boring company, and hyperloop these days references more pie in the sky train capsules in a pneumatic tube, that as far as I know is just a concept and no company Elon is a part of is making it.

there are a few test hyperloops out there, but the big issue is building thousands of miles of completely sealed vacuum tubes. Any problems, any leaks and you have to shut down a section of the system and I can bet you that they would be way more susceptible to terror attacks than regular rail, and even with the speed increases you increase complexity and decrease reliability and throughput making it not make sense for any kind of serious cargo moving. Freight trains are still a better concept there for just sheer capacity, and regular high speed rail would be cheaper and less complex.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I know it isn't a direct a to b between those things but the evolution of the thought doesn't fill me with confidence, it didn't start as a good high concept that got refined into a good practical concept. It started dumb and got dumber.

• Options
    I know it isn't a direct a to b between those things but the evolution of the thought doesn't fill me with confidence, it didn't start as a good high concept that got refined into a good practical concept. It started dumb and got dumber.

Oh yea, both things are a fucking trash fire.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    The thing with that boring company video they made me laugh is just like… so they imagine that there is just an expansive void underground you can fill with endless single lane tunnels?

Like, dudes there are pipes and wires and cabling and underground parking lots and more. And good luck in any area where proper soil compaction is critical to earthquake safety and building codes.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    The thing with that boring company video they made me laugh is just like… so they imagine that there is just an expansive void underground you can fill with endless single lane tunnels?

Like, dudes there are pipes and wires and cabling and underground parking lots and more. And good luck in any area where proper soil compaction is critical to earthquake safety and building codes.

just as the last generation of city planners was influenced by simcity's RCI system, the next generation shall be influenced by nightmare cities skylines tunnel systems

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Gotta impress some ladies with my sweet pocket computer and printed out graphs

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Got the Nest hooked up, was pretty simple. Not sure why but I was expecting it to be more complicated.

I have a little humidity controller box next to where the thermostat is, so maybe on the weekend gonna check to see if the Nest supports that.

I'll just have to fish wires from that back into the wall and to where the Nest is.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I figured once Wirecutter was bought by NYT it was going to become trash sooner or later. Shame the union and its workers are getting shafted, all the same.

• Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Especially in a place like Vegas that's utterly reliant on tourist dollars, the techno-wizard vision of the future bullshit that Boring represents is absolutely irresistible, there's no way you want to be the city administration that said no the coolest new thing around.

Even if the coolest new thing around is self-evidently a terrible, awful idea that will almost certainly result in a horrific tragedy and embarrassment for everyone involved.

Well sir there's nothing like a genuine bona fide electrified six car monorail

Vegas actually has a monorail, which is fairly good at a very specific task (shuttling people up and down a limited section of the strip). It's stuck in that infinite loop of having too-limited a reach to attract lots of riders, which means the city won't fund any expansion, which means the reach and ridership will remain limited.

The Boring tunnels are gonna be like this, but worse, because there's no way they don't fuck up surrounding traffic and injure/kill a bunch of people in the process.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    What's a good affordable modern replacement for a Nexus 2013 because I really need to recycle the one I gave to Chris years ago before it literally explodes

Stipulations is Android, we don't do apple stuff, preferably under a hundred bucks, and similar form factor.

Probably a Kindle fire 8 right?

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Oh hey, Jack Dorsey resigned as Twitter's CEO. Any bets as to whether Twitter fixes any of it's shit?
    https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/11/jack-dorsey-resigns-as-ceo-of-twitter/

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Oh hey, Jack Dorsey resigned as Twitter's CEO. Any bets as to whether Twitter fixes any of it's shit?
    https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/11/jack-dorsey-resigns-as-ceo-of-twitter/

0.00%

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Ha ha no

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Ooooh I just got my new Kindle Paperwhite. It is very nice. I also really enjoy the seamless screen. My old paperwhite collects grunge on the edges.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The new CEO has been outspoken against racism in the past, we'll see what he's like now that he's a CEO.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I assume it'll still be 99% shit but it'll be interesting to see which of the awful policies were directly jack's fault

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Hopefully, it's the "let the fascists have a platform" policy.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    apparently that new "Spaces" feature is just dominated by white supremacists so... good luck, new guy

• Options
    Sort of tech related, in that a lot of people apparently haven’t mastered this new email technology yet:

I’ve come to realize that hoarding all the variations of my first name + last name on gmail 15 years ago was maybe a mistake. I own first.last at gmail.com, as well as shortenedfirst.last and first.middleinitial.last. And on gmail it disregards dots, so I also get email sent to firstlast, shortendfirstlast, etc.

Over the last couple of years it has gotten to the point that I’m getting at least a dozen emails every week that are intended for other people with my name. Mostly from dummies who forget the middle initial in their email, or forget that their email is actually at yahoo or aol or Verizon or whatever instead of at gmail.

Sometimes I can reach out and get people to go fix it. Sometimes I have to reply all to a church mailing list that’s getting a dozen replies an hour telling them to remove my fucking email nowwwwwwww please.

And in the worst case I had to log into someone’s food delivery account and cancel their account because there was no option to stop receiving emails or even change the email on the account.

Sometimes I hate modern life.

This discussion has been closed.