As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Castlevania & Bloodstained] sitting in a tree, S-L-A-Y-I-N-G

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    equal opportunity representation for all

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    I just dusted off my 3DS and turns out I own Shantae and there Pirate's Curse. Completely forgotten about that. :lol: Will give that a go.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Just make sure you don't miss talking to Bolo after a lengthy section in the desert (you will know which one :3) for the best dialog in the game :D

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Claimh Solais and lubicant farming is AoS is like a cheat code for the game. Great XP plus you can sell the sword drops to get the soul eater ring.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I tried what I think is the latest Shantae game and gave up because it felt generic and was super easy. You could purchase anything worthwhile very quickly (with no farming) and damn near every enemy dropped some sort of healing item. I had something like 60-70 at any given time.

Edit: Also I want to play the new DLC for Death's Gambit but it's not out on PS yet.

Magus` on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I also started Shantae and the Pirate's Curse very recently. Like 3 days ago recently.

It's very fun. I didn't know what to expect, really. Just that it is loosely defined as a Metroidvania, and I've been on a bit of a Metroidvania kick lately, thanks to the Advance Collection and also thanks to Dread.

I actually never finished Aria of Sorrow. I need to get back to that. But right now, more Shantae!

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: Β»
    I tried what I think is the latest Shantae game and gave up because it felt generic and was super easy. You could purchase anything worthwhile very quickly (with no farming) and damn near every enemy dropped some sort of healing item. I had something like 60-70 at any given time.

With the game launching first on Apple arcade, it's unfortunately likely tuned for touchscreen controls. Some additional difficulty modes in the console releases would've been welcome.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Shantae and the Pirate's Curse update: WHY IS THE SCORPION MONSTER SEXY I DO NOT NEED ANY MORE EMBARASSING FETISHES THANK YOU

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Shantae and the Pirate's Curse update: WHY IS THE SCORPION MONSTER SEXY I DO NOT NEED ANY MORE EMBARASSING FETISHES THANK YOU

Heaven help your soul if you ever play Half-Genie Hero.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

I had to look this up, and I'm at a total loss on how she's sexy. Like, she's still at least 50-75% scorpion, pinchers and stabby tail and all.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: Β»

I had to look this up, and I'm at a total loss on how she's sexy. Like, she's still at least 50-75% scorpion, pinchers and stabby tail and all.

75%? You can still make that work.
    23a918f4a5a338844cc1440242e167bc--dark-souls-game-art.jpg

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    So is the logic then that you can make any horrific looking monster sexy by simply photoshopping a nude woman on top of it?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • MaytagMaytag Registered User regular
    So is the logic then that you can make any horrific looking monster sexy by simply photoshopping a nude woman on top of it?

Yes.

3DS: 1392 - 5070 - 7853
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular

I mean, that's just science.

steam_sig.png
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: Β»

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjhfUZyA6LI

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

Apparently?

Like, I don't agree, but I also know why my opinion doesn't match up with the consensus. For me the nice-to-look-at nude woman from the hips or torso up doesn't eclipse the massive danger coming from the rest of the monster half of said woman. Because also for me, just being nude and female doesn't automatically make something sexy. This isn't meant as some superior stance either; nudity's just not default sexy for me personally.

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: Β»

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjhfUZyA6LI

Also a source of one of my favorite PA comics.

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/09/29

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited November 2021

See I want to think this is cool but my OCD always kicks in when people do these sprite demakes :P

Also I really, really hate the enemy sprite design :P (the wolves look so weird, like mutant pigs, and also too big for the NES to handle without massive slowdown) And there's no way in hell Death would not be like a 3x4 sprite or something. Other stuff like the blocky drawbridge design is weird to me... I mean, even Castlevania 1's drawbridge looked better.... :P The NES can do slopes :P Also some of the backgrounds are good and some are like Commodore 64 levels of basic. It's weird. The Castlevania series is known for having gorgeous background art...

Then I get even more picky and start complaining about color palette choice being unrealistic and the very badly "digitized low-rez scan of artwork" for title screen (the thumbnail :P). I'd have to double check for sure but at least this one I think gets points for using proper NES colors and not using too many colors per sprite (maybe, I didn't check thoroughly :P But no sprite should be using more than 3 colors per 8x8 tile)

But don't mind me :3 <old man yells at cloud>

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed the review, 10/10 that cloud had it coming.

38thDoE on steam

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    What console had zero bits? The Magnavox Odyssey? Someone make a demake for the Magnavox Odyssey.

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular

See I want to think this is cool but my OCD always kicks in when people do these sprite demakes :P

Also I really, really hate the enemy sprite design :P (the wolves look so weird, like mutant pigs, and also too big for the NES to handle without massive slowdown) And there's no way in hell Death would not be like a 3x4 sprite or something. Other stuff like the blocky drawbridge design is weird to me... I mean, even Castlevania 1's drawbridge looked better.... :P The NES can do slopes :P Also some of the backgrounds are good and some are like Commodore 64 levels of basic. It's weird. The Castlevania series is known for having gorgeous background art...

Then I get even more picky and start complaining about color palette choice being unrealistic and the very badly "digitized low-rez scan of artwork" for title screen (the thumbnail :P). I'd have to double check for sure but at least this one I think gets points for using proper NES colors and not using too many colors per sprite (maybe, I didn't check thoroughly :P But no sprite should be using more than 3 colors per 8x8 tile)

But don't mind me :3 <old man yells at cloud>

The worst thing about it to me is the massive amount of blank space. Something good NES tilesets figured out how to do well very early on. I mean shit, some of them forced out freaking 4 way parallax scrolling by updating the goddamn tiles per pixel based upon the screen position, meaning they had tons of goddamned tiles for one repeating 8x8 background just to look neat.

A lot of the knock off games do no backgrounds because they don't know how to be efficient with the loaded tilesets and such. As for the colors, I don't even feel like those are the normal standard color sets for tiles, they almost went out of their way to be ugly.

Real vampire hunters jump over the door to make that sweet bag of money spawn!

38thDoE on steam

I personally don’t like it when modern games try to adhere to 8bit limitations. I love pixel art and pixel graphics, but let modern technology work for you. Like Octopath or Dead Cells. Even if a game maker wants to stick to a limited palate, why pretend there are hardware restrictions when there are not? Let the pixels flow!

In related news, I put about 3 hours on Shantae and the Pirates Curse last night. Such a fun game. I still cannot believe I have never heard of this series until a couple weeks ago. Side note, I met my first sexy scorpion lady last night.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I ended up using Cheat Engine to turn on infinite health and ammo for Mummy Demastered when I got stuck on a boss that was more annoying than hard.

The enemies really are just there to get in your way and impede traversal, which is actually the fun part of the game and not the constant fighting/enemy spam. So now I can just spam grenades to get them out of the way and get to the fun part.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I ended up using Cheat Engine to turn on infinite health and ammo for Mummy Demastered when I got stuck on a boss that was more annoying than hard.

The enemies really are just there to get in your way and impede traversal, which is actually the fun part of the game and not the constant fighting/enemy spam. So now I can just spam grenades to get them out of the way and get to the fun part.

Let me guess: the giant scarab in the clock tower? I actually gave up on the game when I got to that one.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I personally don’t like it when modern games try to adhere to 8bit limitations. I love pixel art and pixel graphics, but let modern technology work for you. Like Octopath or Dead Cells. Even if a game maker wants to stick to a limited palate, why pretend there are hardware restrictions when there are not? Let the pixels flow!

In related news, I put about 3 hours on Shantae and the Pirates Curse last night. Such a fun game. I still cannot believe I have never heard of this series until a couple weeks ago. Side note, I met my first sexy scorpion lady last night.

Im pretty sure in some of these cases, they are trying to make games that actually run on the old hardware. Otherwise, it is legit fun to figure out how to design something WELL within the constraints that hardware had.

Look into what a lot of developers had to do to make some of the games they did on like say, the NES. Its actually absurd the level of mastery they needed to pull some of it off. The idea of working with scanlines in real time vs cpu processing alone blows my mind.

The Castlevania collection is only $5 on the Switch's digital store. That's a stupid good deal for such a large collection of quality games. And if you're interested, the Contra and Arcade collections are only $5 as well, and the Castlevania Advance Collection is $15.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Oh there's a Castlevania thread...guess it won't hurt to ask here either:

Any reason to avoid Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Ultimate Edition?

The Castlevania collection is only $5 on the Switch's digital store. That's a stupid good deal for such a large collection of quality games. And if you're interested, the Contra and Arcade collections are only $5 as well, and the Castlevania Advance Collection is $15.

Away tempter! Which games are in those collections though?

38thDoE on steam

Castlevania Anniversary Collection:
    Castlevania
    Castlevania II Simon's Quest
    Castlevania III Dracula's Curse
    Super Castlevania IV
    Castlevania The Adventure
    Castlevania II Belmont's Revenge
    Castlevania Bloodlines
    Kid Dracula (never released in English before)
    History of Castlevania - Book of the Crescent Moon

Castlevania Collection:
    Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
    Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
    Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
    Castlevania: Dracula X

Contra Collection:
    Contra (Arcade)
    Super Contra
    Contra (NA)
    Contra (JP)
    Super C
    Contra III: The Alien Wars
    Operation C
    Contra Hard Corps
    Super Probotector Alien Rebels
    Probotector

Arcade Collection:
    Scramble
    TwinBee
    Nemesis (also known as Gradius)
    Salamander (also known as Life Force)
    Typhoon (also known as A-Jax)
    Haunted Castle
    Vulcan Venture (also known as Gradius II)
    Thunder Cross

Any of these bundles are a steal at their price.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited November 2021
    Xeddicus wrote: Β»
    Oh there's a Castlevania thread...guess it won't hurt to ask here either:

Any reason to avoid Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Ultimate Edition?

If you are at all enthused about the Castlevania timeline it kinda starts its own.
    Uh, if you like any of the previous castlevania playstyles, it kinda starts its own, that may be a bit too much shadows of the colossus for some people.

Its interesting, but it's like a totally different game had the name castlevania pasted on.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I loved Lords of Shadow. Plus it has Patrick Stewart. Can't go wrong there.

Stay away from Lords of Shadow 2 and Mirror of Fate, however.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    I loved Lords of Shadow. Plus it has Patrick Stewart. Can't go wrong there.

Stay away from Lords of Shadow 2 and Mirror of Fate, however.

Mirror of Fate is not bad. It's not great, it's good every so often, but just generally it's mediocre.

But I couldn't make it to the end of Lords of Shadow 2. I was almost there. I even made it past the bullshit maze crap. I don't even think I have the save because my drive I have had all my games on shit the bed. But I don't think I could handle it anyways. I even got and never played the DLC for LoS2. Just ugh.

Its weird because the setup for Lords of Shadow 2 at the end of Lords of Shadow makes it look very interesting at least.

38thDoE on steam

I loved the first LoS. It was one of my favorite games of the PS3 era. Fun combat and a story that was decent enough to keep me invested. I played it enough to plat it.

But then they completely killed the reboot franchise with how badly they scuffed LoS 2.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: Β»
    Its weird because the setup for Lords of Shadow 2 at the end of Lords of Shadow makes it look very interesting at least.

Oh absolutely. Just tons of wasted potential. They really shit the bed hard with LoS2. I was so fucking hyped for LoS2, such a huge letdown.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Huh. The collection has Castlevania the Adventure, and not The Adventure Rebirth? Missed opportunity to get that game out of the Wii Eshop purgatory it's in.