As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Coronavirus] Discussion Thread.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Why do I, a fully vaccinated person, have to wear a mask and socially distance? I'm fucking sick this. What's the point of getting vaccinated if you still need to do all the same shit as someone who's unvaccinated?

Because immunocompromised people and those who can't yet be exist, and you would be putting them at risk.

Frankly you and an unvaccinated person having a o follow the same restrictions is a failure of your government. Unvaccinated people shouldn't be allowed in public spaces, you'd still need to wear a mask and practice social distancing if you lived somewhere with a government that wasn't incomplete.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    If I'm vaccinated then I won't be spreading the disease because I won't catch it. If the vaccine works I don't need a mask.

No, the vaccine isn't 100%.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Why do I, a fully vaccinated person, have to wear a mask and socially distance? I'm fucking sick this. What's the point of getting vaccinated if you still need to do all the same shit as someone who's unvaccinated?

Being at a lower risk of dying or causing the death of others.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    If I'm vaccinated then I won't be spreading the disease because I won't catch it. If the vaccine works I don't need a mask.

But it's waaaay better than a mask.

• Options

And both are better still.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

Less good than both

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Even if you're wearing a Kevlar vest, you probably don't want to walk out into gunfire.
    It greatly increases your chances of survival! But if you do get hit, it's still gonna suck.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

5xsjd7ss94i9.png
    Each layer is additional protection. To you, if you're one of the people with a weak immune response to the vaccine. To your loved ones, if they're the ones with a weak immune response to the vaccine. To your job, that doesn't have to close down if people don't get sick.
    And even if you have a decent immune response, you can be "lucky" and gave a super weak illness only - but still be infectious. So you wouldn't even notice you might be infecting your family, your friends, or your co-workers.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021

So, when driving you are expected to protect others by not drinking and driving, protect yourself by wearing a seatbelt, and to follow traffic rules.

car analogies are admittedly trash, but...

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    But yes, this is the same frustration all of us are feeling when we see the people around us refuse to get vaccinated. Anti-vaxxers, this is your fault.

If everyone were vaccinated, this would be so different.

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    moniker wrote: »

It's better to wear a seatbelt and a helmet in a car but it's acceptable to wear just the seatbelt. It's acceptable to wear a fabric mask even though they are inferior to disposable masks. We make these kind of calls all the time.

• Options

It's better to wear a seatbelt and a helmet in a car but it's acceptable to wear just the seatbelt. It's acceptable to wear a fabric mask even though they are inferior to disposable masks. We make these kind of calls all the time.

The mask isn't the helmet, the mask is the seat belt. The vaccine is more like, your airbag. Might save your life, but you'd rather not have it punch you in the face at all.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Have you never gotten a flu shot, but still caught the flu before? None of this stuff is particularly new or novel or hard to grasp.

And it's a fucking mask. Not a hazmat suit. Not delousing yourself every time you step outside. Not an actual burdensome requirement. Hell, we are getting to the season and temperature where wrapping a scarf across your face multiple times is standard practice for personal comfort.

• Options
    kime wrote: »
    But yes, this is the same frustration all of us are feeling when we see the people around us refuse to get vaccinated. Anti-vaxxers, this is your fault.

Then why not just unmask? The "immunocompromised" are a far far smaller group than you'd think.
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/covid-19-almost-no-one-in-australia-medically-exempt-from-coronavirus-vaccinations-health-expert/TLNOOEJD2VCUVCAZACHN5HSAZY/
    Despite popular belief among vaccine-hesitant circles, they won't be handed out to people with chronic illnesses, auto-immune conditions, blood clotting disorders, allergies, or histories of strokes or heart attacks.

In fact, "almost no one" in Australia will be eligible for an exemption, according to Professor Kristine Macartney, director of the National Centre for Immunisation Research and Surveillance (NCIRS).

We can and will vaccinated all but the very extreme cases. They are a vanishingly small number.

• Options
    edited November 2021

Then why not just unmask? The "immunocompromised" are a far far smaller group than you'd think.
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/covid-19-almost-no-one-in-australia-medically-exempt-from-coronavirus-vaccinations-health-expert/TLNOOEJD2VCUVCAZACHN5HSAZY/
    Despite popular belief among vaccine-hesitant circles, they won't be handed out to people with chronic illnesses, auto-immune conditions, blood clotting disorders, allergies, or histories of strokes or heart attacks.

In fact, "almost no one" in Australia will be eligible for an exemption, according to Professor Kristine Macartney, director of the National Centre for Immunisation Research and Surveillance (NCIRS).

We can and will vaccinated all but the very extreme cases. They are a vanishingly small number.

Because I don't want my nieces, who are under 5, to get sick and/or die.

Illinois removed and then reissued a mask mandate. Case rates, hospitalizations, and deaths rose and then subsequently declined after it's reimposition. Because masks work at reducing viral spread. I don't know how to explain to you that you should care about other people.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited November 2021

I have a 4-year-old daughter, so everyone who does what you want to do make life a lot harder and more dangerous for her.

Also, medical clarification: not being exempt from the vaccine doesn't mean the vaccine will be effective. Many immunocompromised people can get the vaccines just fine, it's just it doesn't have that much protection for them.

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Masks and vaccines may accomplish the same larger goal (Keep you safe from SARS-CoV-2), but they do so in fundamentally distinct ways.

The vaccine protects you by mobilizing an immune response after you are exposed.

A mask prevents you from being exposed at all.

Given the minimal effort required to wear a mask in the circumstances where it is currently called for, and the situation we're all in, wearing a mask is a tremendous benefit.

• Options
    edited November 2021

The AASHTO Greenbook is 1,047 pages long. MUTCD is 815 pages. CFR 49 Part 500-599 is over 1,200 pages long.

More goes into keeping you safe on the road than wearing a seatbelt.

moniker on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Vaccines aren't immunity.

Vaccines are training for your immune system.

Say there's a massive group of boxers, running around the world and dragging people into fights against their will. You don't know which boxer is going to come your way. Might be 80s Mike Tyson, might be Glass Joe. Either way, you should probably have some training under your belt before that fight comes around.

I don't know what the mask represents here. Brass knuckles? A horseshoe in your gloves, maybe? Fuck it, do both anyway, COVID don't fight fair and neither should you.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Early vaccination stats were better than they have turned out in the real world in terms of preventing transmission, but still excellent for preventing deaths and severe illness.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Vaccines aren't immunity.

Vaccines are training for your immune system.

Say there's a massive group of boxers, running around the world and dragging people into fights against their will. You don't know which boxer is going to come your way. Might be 80s Mike Tyson, might be Glass Joe. Either way, you should probably have some training under your belt before that fight comes around.

I don't know what the mask represents here. Brass knuckles? A horseshoe in your gloves, maybe? Fuck it, do both anyway, COVID don't fight fair and neither should you.

The mask would be not getting into the fight at all by avoiding the boxers.

You know what they say. "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth SARS-CoV-2 on their ACE2 receptors".

• Options
    So, masks and social distancing... Forever? We aren't even getting a new normal, let alone the old one.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I just assumed the mask mandates were to specifically stop me from showing my ugly face or bad breath

• Options
    So, masks and social distancing... Forever?

Until case counts improve. Rather than doubling over that past 3 weeks like it just did. We don't get to pretend that the Pandemic is over because we want it to be.

• Options
    Why are case counts going up when the population is more vaccinated than ever?

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Have you never gotten a flu shot, but still caught the flu before? None of this stuff is particularly new or novel or hard to grasp.

And it's a fucking mask. Not a hazmat suit. Not delousing yourself every time you step outside. Not an actual burdensome requirement. Hell, we are getting to the season and temperature where wrapping a scarf across your face multiple times is standard practice for personal comfort.

I think Gvzbgul is in Aus, so it's getting warmer here.

By Feb I am going to be questioning the pants mandate :P

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options

For all of the reasons that were explained on the last page and this one.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited November 2021

Because the vaccine isn't 100% (Thanks Delta for making that percentage lower than it was with the original!) and we still have very large groups of people who aren't vaccinated, either due to age, inability or being dumb and I'm just talking about the USA. There are still swaths of the world unvaccinated due to supply issues.

We are going to have to face the facts at this point that COVID is endemic. The new normal will be different from the old normal. IF COVID slows its mutation rates (or goes down a mutation branch that doesn't hurt us any worse), IF we get new vaccines that are more tailored towards Delta and we can get under 5 kids vaccinated then we can probably approach the previous normal.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular

More vaccinated than ever <> vaccinated enough to lower case counts and behave like "normal".

I think if you want an example of what the world looks like where covid is endemic and the population is vaccinated enough, look at Portugal.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Mortious wrote: »

Close, I'm NZ. Really I'm just sour that as a reward for getting 90% vaccinated we are getting more restrictions. Less restrictions for the part of the country that is currently locked down (Auckland). But for everyone else we're getting more restricted. And it stinks and makes me wish we hadn't hit the 90% vaccination mark.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Aphostile wrote: »

More vaccinated than ever <> vaccinated enough to lower case counts and behave like "normal".

I think if you want an example of what the world looks like where covid is endemic and the population is vaccinated enough, look at Portugal.

I also think there is something to be said regarding things starting to open up that would otherwise be low risk for vaccinated individuals wearing masks that are predominantly being taken advantage of by those who refuse to get vaccinated or follow any precautions at all.

The lowest common denominators of our societies are playing spoiler for everyone.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    Early vaccination stats were better than they have turned out in the real world in terms of preventing transmission, but still excellent for preventing deaths and severe illness.

I think a lot of that is Delta? And the fact that boosters may be necessary over time, which obviously early stats couldn't tell anyone about.

Steam profile
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Also, wearing a mask, even in a hypothetical COVID-free world, is fine by me. Didn't get my annual sore throat all last year, kept my usual colds away, and I'm looking to make it into a streak.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    5C5PC9l.png

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited November 2021

Close, I'm NZ. Really I'm just sour that as a reward for getting 90% vaccinated we are getting more restrictions. Less restrictions for the part of the country that is currently locked down (Auckland). But for everyone else we're getting more restricted. And it stinks and makes me wish we hadn't hit the 90% vaccination mark.

These restrictions look pretty close to ACT restrictions (below):
    Any person aged 12 years or older must wear a face mask when entering or using the following:
    High risk facilities, including a hospital, residential aged care facility, correction and detention facilities (or other places of custody), residential accommodation facilities that support people who require frequent, close personal care and who are vulnerable to disease, care facilities including in-home and community aged care providers and disability service providers (when providing services to a vulnerable person).
    On public transport, including a public bus, light rail vehicle, taxi, rideshare vehicle, hire car or demand response service vehicle (drivers of these vehicles should continue wearing a mask when transporting passengers).
    In all indoor spaces at a school, early childhood education and care settings (including out of school hours care), noting that only children in Years 7 to 12 are required to wear a face mask while in an indoor space at school. Children in Years 3 to 6 are encouraged to wear a mask when indoors at school, if they are comfortable doing so (this is at the discretion of the student and their parent, carers or guardians). This requirement will be reviewed prior to recommencement of the school year in 2022.
    Indoor Front of House Hospitality Staff are also required to wear a face mask when working.
    A person may remove their face mask in one of the abovementioned locations in the following situations:
    when consuming food, drink or medicine
    when communicating with a person who is deaf or hard of hearing and visibility of the mouth is essential for communication.
    if asked to remove a face mask to ascertain identity (eg if asked by a police officer).
    When the nature of a person’s work in one of the abovementioned areas means that wearing a face mask creates a risk to health and safety.
    When performing essential work in an indoor space in one of the abovementioned areas, but only when:
    in an office where no other people are present; OR
    when sitting or standing at a workstation in an office; AND
    1.5 metres away from any other person.
    As soon as a person is no longer alone or is moving, they must wear a face mask.

When undertaking vigorous exercise.
    Because of an emergency.
    Face masks remain mandatory for people aged 12 years and over while inside the Canberra Airport terminal and during domestic commercial flights in and out of Canberra.
    Recommendations:

The community is also strongly encouraged to continue to wear face masks during the following circumstances:
    Anytime a person has symptoms of COVID-19.
    When in a public indoor setting and or in areas where physical distancing from people not known to you may not be possible (for example, customers in retail, business, hospitality and education settings).
    When in public indoor gatherings (for example in places of worship, at funerals, weddings or at a theatre).
    When in indoor places for personal services (for example at the hairdresser and in a nail salon).
    It is also strongly recommended that business and government service providers consider implementing their own policies around mask wearing for entry into their premises, particularly where there is extensive interaction with the public (eg government service centres).
    Note: A face covering means a mask or other covering that fits securely around the face and covers the nose and mouth to provide the wearer with protection against infection. A scarf or bandana is not a face mask.

My only real issue is that, in office settings without significant ventilation, I'm not sure how effective masks are.
    If the person next to you has Covid, and you're then exposed for eight hours, I don't think the mask is doing much.

discrider on
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »

Any person aged 12 years or older must wear a face mask when entering or using the following:
    High risk facilities, including a hospital, residential aged care facility, correction and detention facilities (or other places of custody), residential accommodation facilities that support people who require frequent, close personal care and who are vulnerable to disease, care facilities including in-home and community aged care providers and disability service providers (when providing services to a vulnerable person).
    On public transport, including a public bus, light rail vehicle, taxi, rideshare vehicle, hire car or demand response service vehicle (drivers of these vehicles should continue wearing a mask when transporting passengers).
    In all indoor spaces at a school, early childhood education and care settings (including out of school hours care), noting that only children in Years 7 to 12 are required to wear a face mask while in an indoor space at school. Children in Years 3 to 6 are encouraged to wear a mask when indoors at school, if they are comfortable doing so (this is at the discretion of the student and their parent, carers or guardians). This requirement will be reviewed prior to recommencement of the school year in 2022.
    Indoor Front of House Hospitality Staff are also required to wear a face mask when working.
    A person may remove their face mask in one of the abovementioned locations in the following situations:
    when communicating with a person who is deaf or hard of hearing and visibility of the mouth is essential for communication.
    if asked to remove a face mask to ascertain identity (eg if asked by a police officer).
    When the nature of a person’s work in one of the abovementioned areas means that wearing a face mask creates a risk to health and safety.
    When performing essential work in an indoor space in one of the abovementioned areas, but only when:
    As soon as a person is no longer alone or is moving, they must wear a face mask.

Because of an emergency.
    Face masks remain mandatory for people aged 12 years and over while inside the Canberra Airport terminal and during domestic commercial flights in and out of Canberra.
    Recommendations:

The community is also strongly encouraged to continue to wear face masks during the following circumstances:
    When in a public indoor setting and or in areas where physical distancing from people not known to you may not be possible (for example, customers in retail, business, hospitality and education settings).
    When in public indoor gatherings (for example in places of worship, at funerals, weddings or at a theatre).
    When in indoor places for personal services (for example at the hairdresser and in a nail salon).
    It is also strongly recommended that business and government service providers consider implementing their own policies around mask wearing for entry into their premises, particularly where there is extensive interaction with the public (eg government service centres).
    Note: A face covering means a mask or other covering that fits securely around the face and covers the nose and mouth to provide the wearer with protection against infection. A scarf or bandana is not a face mask.

My only real issue is that, in office settings without significant ventilation, I'm not sure how effective masks are.
    If the person next to you has Covid, and you're then exposed for eight hours, I don't think the mask is doing much.

Maybe not for catching covid but maybe it would affect viral load? I'm not sure how that works.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Thawmus wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »

Because of an emergency.
    Recommendations:

Maybe not for catching covid but maybe it would affect viral load? I'm not sure how that works.

The big issue is that most people aren't wearing perfectly sealed n95 masks. You build up a big enough viral load in an area and you aren't wearing a great mask then eventually you'll get some slipping between the cracks. That chance will increase the longer you're in that area.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yeah if I'm around anyone who's possibly unvaccinated then I wear a mask. If I'm near a bunch of people for an extended amount of time then I wear two masks. But I use cloth masks with a filter inside.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I suspect that we might be able to get away with going maskless now if everyone in affected areas had worn masks from the beginning. They were anecdotally really effective against the original strain of Covid, but the massive amount of transmissions gave it the opportunity to evolve into something even nastier. Delta seems to be so crazily virulent that it can become transmissable before a previously trained immune system can ramp up to fight it.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Got my booster! (Pfizer)

I ate, then took a 4 hour nap with the dog, then woke up ravenous. Arm a little sore, but that's jt