As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

🖥️🎮 - Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon & Love Notes out today!

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    some cool games on my wishlist are on sale. wish I felt like playing any of them

Jars on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    my favorite games are super niche so they aren't winning any awards
    I'm still thinking about Mythic Ocean two years after its release and no one played that game.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Here's 11 minutes of info and gameplay on Dragonball By Daylight. If you were like me and hoping to finally get one DB game where you didn't fight guys as Goku, then well, I'm sorry to disappoint you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUUMwD3NrnE

Closed Beta is 12/4-12/5 only on Steam, beta signups are available now until the 30th

Crippl3 on
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Oh, and here's some new gameplay of space action game Chorus, also known as CHORVS. Looks sweet imo, comes out next Friday
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czu1k-hcCzM

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    There are so many vectors for "Best" that I can't really interact with that metric, but my favorite ever is Pathologic 2.

Is Pathologic 2 more than just a remake of Pathologic?

I am still working my way through an LP of Pathologic but the guy is doing all 3 characters and it's so loooong

Depends on who you ask, I reckon, but to me it's a significantly different undertaking. Improved and re-imagined gameplay, much-improved graphics. But the biggest change is in the quality of the translation. The first Pathologic had a translation that was... Let's go with "rickety." You could see the general shape of the story, but the translation made it hard to engage with the game. It could be hard-to-impossible to figure out what was a stylistic flourish and what was relevant, like, gameplay information.

But the localization in Pathologic 2 is stunning. There is beauty and poetry in the language. There are still moments that are uncanny, where people talk in circles and/or riddles, when language is opaque - but now those moments are intentional, deployed for thematic effect.

By refining the localization, it made it possible for me to more deeply engage with the themes and the stories, showed me layers and textures that may have been in the first game, but that I had no idea were present if they were. In particular, the way the Steppe people are presented, the way their beliefs and worldviews are conveyed, is so massively improved. The conversations with and about the Steppe people are some of the absolute-finest pieces of writing about indigeneity I've seen in a video game, and it isn't even close.

Like, there's this really really incredible essay about Pathologic 2 and colonization, from a writer named Lotus: https://bulletpointsmonthly.com/2020/06/24/the-world-unsettled-pathologic-2

Being able to engage with the text enough to pen something that brilliant is only possible thanks to an incredible and revelatory act of localization. A lot of remasters/remakes feel like a new coat of paint, but Pathologic 2 is almost the opposite - it strips away everything that previously got in the way of the blood, the bones, and the soul.

Poorochondriac on
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Lol krillin is level 1

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Autumn Sale?
    hw4uvi2zhplt.jpg

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I finished Reach and moved on to Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary.

I am playing on easy because I find it funny to just gun down entire squads of covenant with a single assault rifle magazine.

Also the Library level is still the worst level in any FPS ever.

Yep.

But The Silent Cartographer isn't beat by very many games.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    There are so many vectors for "Best" that I can't really interact with that metric, but my favorite ever is Pathologic 2.

Is Pathologic 2 more than just a remake of Pathologic?

I am still working my way through an LP of Pathologic but the guy is doing all 3 characters and it's so loooong

Depends on who you ask, I reckon, but to me it's a significantly different undertaking. Improved and re-imagined gameplay, much-improved graphics. But the biggest change is in the quality of the translation. The first Pathologic had a translation that was... Let's go with "rickety." You could see the general shape of the story, but the translation made it hard to engage with the game. It could be hard-to-impossible to figure out what was a stylistic flourish and what was relevant, like, gameplay information.

But the localization in Pathologic 2 is stunning. There is beauty and poetry in the language. There are still moments that are uncanny, where people talk in circles and/or riddles, when language is opaque - but now those moments are intentional, deployed for thematic effect.

By refining the localization, it made it possible for me to more deeply engage with the themes and the stories, showed me layers and textures that may have been in the first game, but that I had no idea were present if they were. In particular, the way the Steppe people are presented, the way their beliefs and worldviews are conveyed, is so massively improved. The conversations with and about the Steppe people are some of the absolute-finest pieces of writing about indigeneity I've seen in a video game, and it isn't even close.

Like, there's this really really incredible essay about Pathologic 2 and colonization, from a writer named Lotus: https://bulletpointsmonthly.com/2020/06/24/the-world-unsettled-pathologic-2

Being able to engage with the text enough to pen something that brilliant is only possible thanks to an incredible and revelatory act of localization. A lot of remasters/remakes feel like a new coat of paint, but Pathologic 2 is almost the opposite - it strips away everything that previously got in the way of the blood, the bones, and the soul.

I get what you mean about the language. I assumed it was supposed to be all fantastical mysterious poetic nonsense. I might try and play 2 myself once I'm done watching the LP. No way I would have persevered through playing 1.

Thanks for the link, that was a good read.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    just chorvin' around, chorvs chorvs chorvs chorvs

BahamutZERO.gif
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Fortnite is the only game where the dead Speak!

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Not even accurate. He was alive

liEt3nH.png
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild have to be to there for me.

Man I should do another play through of Odyssey...

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I'm playing the Halo Infinite multiplayer, with the PC version of Halo 2 over a decade ago being my only previous Halo experience.

I never realized how much Destiny is just Halo With Loot.

Except, Halo Infinite has a grappling hook, so it's clearly better.

• OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    For me it has to be Heroes of Might and Magic 3.

So, so many hours and weekends and summer days spent playing that with my friends during the last 20 years.

the purest video game is pac man championship edition dx

liEt3nH.png
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    What is the most video game

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    night trap

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

Dude, you know the answer to this

It's Fortnite

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The most video game is Star Citizen because it's all video games at the same time

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    It's Warcraft 3. Not only do you get wc3 with your purchase, but you get like 500 custom games.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    It's Warcraft 3. Not only do you get wc3 with your purchase, but you get like 500 custom games.

I assume that's classic WC3 and not the 'touch-up'.

weird way to refer to The Frozen Throne but sure

liEt3nH.png
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

Not anymore you don't!

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

Dude, you know the answer to this

It's Fortnite

It's pronounced Fork-Knife

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Dark Souls is up there for my "Game of All Time" but that award may even go further to Demons' Souls in my own heart

Playing DeSo with almost no foreknowledge in 2009 was a revelatory experience for me in what a game could be, and I still think relative to later Soulses it's got more creative risk-taking with its bosses in particular

DaSo 1 is a more refined evolution, DaSo 2 is equally a sequel to DeSo as it is to DaSo 1 IMHO, and Bloodborne is the current pinnacle of that gameplay (even if I never did beat it), but the mold is already shockingly complete from the jump in its 2009 form

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    the purest video game is pac man championship edition dx

Hitting that power pill and eating fifty ghosts at once with that POW POW POW POW POW POWPOWPOWPOWPOPOPOPOPOPOPOPOPOW is one of the most satisfying feelings in video games.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    I'm playing the Halo Infinite multiplayer, with the PC version of Halo 2 over a decade ago being my only previous Halo experience.

I never realized how much Destiny is just Halo With Loot.

Except, Halo Infinite has a grappling hook, so it's clearly better.

I wish the grapple line was a bit longer, but snagging the weapon you need in a pinch is very cool.

• PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    When considering game nominations for the Steam Awards, a note about last year...

Last year the winner in each category was the game that appearred first in their respective category. Please do not become emotionally invested in it, as whoever appears first in the list will probably win.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »
    When considering game nominations for the Steam Awards, a note about last year...

Last year the winner in each category was the game that appearred first in their respective category. Please do not become emotionally invested in it, as whoever appears first in the list will probably win.

That's how voting works, which is why most ballots have randomized orders

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF89H9wKDaQ
    Deiland: Pocket Planet is a farming adventure where you will have to take care of your tiny planet. Farm, craft, fight and explore the universe of Deiland.
    20211125 Deiland: Pocket Planet (Farming Sim Relaxing Agriculture Hand-drawn)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPq6S9DSQBI

Crash the Core A sci-fantasy roguelike deck builder with co-op where you strategically choose to equip gadgets, summon allies, buy weapons, use consumables, or salvage cards. Manage a spy agency by gathering intel about the secret location of a planets core system and uncover a conspiracy to take over the galaxy!
    20211125 Crash the Core (Roguelike Deckbuilder Perma Death Investigation )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-xZcfZMryQ Asterix & Obelix, return in a new adventure full of slaps! Play as Asterix and Obelix and cross the most iconic landscapes of the saga while facing a host of enemies, in a Beat Them Up filled with action ... and slaps!
    20211125 Asterix and Obelix: Slap them all! (Action Beat em up 2D Fighter Comic Book )

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    The new client for WC3 works with all the old content so thankfully all the custom games still work.

It's the only reason I bought it really so the shitty campaign didn't really affect me. I'm not sure I ever even played the campaign in that game. I've got RTS campaign aversion.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    The new client for WC3 works with all the old content so thankfully all the custom games still work.

It's the only reason I bought it really so the shitty campaign didn't really affect me. I'm not sure I ever even played the campaign in that game. I've got RTS campaign aversion.

Most RTS campaigns turn into a boring slog half way through. StarCraft 2 was probably the only campaign I've finished in a long time.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Lmao you can't nominate a game in more than one category.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    @DarkPrimus Yeah, that was uh, dumb.

Wildermyth for all of them. (Yes, even VR).

Also, urrrgh. Sekiro is a really great game right up until you end up fighting the camera agaisnt hyper mobile enemies and the game goes "Oh, no, you're looking in THIS DIRECTION, you cannot see anything, and also you're not allowed to dodge or deflect!"

Fuck you game, i wasnt, i was following the enemy.

it's a perenial problem with FromSoftware games, one can only hope it's gotten better with Elden Ring. (Otherwise it's a great game - and dont worry folks, i made sure activsion got no money from me for this. Second hand, go!)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Perrsun wrote: »

That's how voting works, which is why most ballots have randomized orders

Yeah… and last year I was able to verify with myself and 2 other people that our orders were exactly the same. While I realize n=3 isn’t the best sample size, I also don’t trust valve to actually randomize the list. :P

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-xZcfZMryQ Asterix & Obelix, return in a new adventure full of slaps! Play as Asterix and Obelix and cross the most iconic landscapes of the saga while facing a host of enemies, in a Beat Them Up filled with action ... and slaps!
    20211125 Asterix and Obelix: Slap them all! (Action Beat em up 2D Fighter Comic Book )

Seems unfair to have a game where player 2 can never get a power up just because he happened to fall into the cauldron as a child.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    @DarkPrimus Yeah, that was uh, dumb.

Wildermyth for all of them. (Yes, even VR).

Also, urrrgh. Sekiro is a really great game right up until you end up fighting the camera agaisnt hyper mobile enemies and the game goes "Oh, no, you're looking in THIS DIRECTION, you cannot see anything, and also you're not allowed to dodge or deflect!"

Fuck you game, i wasnt, i was following the enemy.

it's a perenial problem with FromSoftware games, one can only hope it's gotten better with Elden Ring. (Otherwise it's a great game - and dont worry folks, i made sure activsion got no money from me for this. Second hand, go!)
    I am so relieved that Elden Ring isn't Activision.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Ordered some new PC bits today after waffling about it for ages. Going from a quad core 2.6Ghz processor with 8GB DDR3 ram to a six core 4.6Ghz processor with 32GB DDR4 ram and a SSD. It's going to feel like I've taken cyber-cocaine and jacked into the matrix.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Ordered some new PC bits today after waffling about it for ages. Going from a quad core 2.6Ghz processor with 8GB DDR3 ram to a six core 4.6Ghz processor with 32GB DDR4 ram and a SSD. It's going to feel like I've taken cyber-cocaine and jacked into the matrix.

Is your old PC still on a regular HDD? if so, ye lords, the new computer is going to be like magic!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
This discussion has been closed.