As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Final Fantasy]: My Way!

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    the boss music in 7 is the only part of the soundtrack that is better than 8's.

I think you have that backwards, Man with the Machine Gun is the only thing that comes close to anything in FF7.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I love FF8's music nearly as much as 7's, including the bangin' boss track

BahamutZERO.gif
    edited November 2021
    I have a weird relationship with Underneath the Rotting Pizza.

The bass is so amazing and well-chosen and the beat is great, but at the end when the strings layer on top of each other forever and get louder and louder...look, I know what he was doing, it feels progressively more stifling and oppressive, but that doesn't stop it from being a bit too much.

When I played it as a kid I had to turn the volume way down because my parents couldn't stand that layering, and I didn't blame them.

But it's also one of the most nostalgic tracks of the game, just hearing that raw synth bass taking over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtP3OAg_ft0

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I dont dislike 7s music. it is really good and has plenty of memorable tracks. i just think 8 has a much broader range of tracks that tie little things together, like in balamb the song Breezy is playing and it is legit something i could just play and relax to. but then there's the assault on the beach not 10 seconds later that starts with a heartbeat before battle and then its just fuckin yolo shut the hatch blockade runner storm the beach.

And then there's this song when you start the final dungeon. This song in 30 - 40 seconds tells you that this is a grand fucking palace and that you're stepping into castlevania so buckle up.

https://youtu.be/UYMILmY1XRw

Enigmedic on
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    7 infamously decided to use whatever soundfont could fit into the PS1's sample memory to cover 95% of songs in the game. With 8 they started actually using a custom set of patches per each song so they instrument quality rose dramatically.

8 does seem to have much less music overall though, so you're listening to the same stuff quite a bit more often. At least its usually pretty good stuff.

they're actually pretty similar length soundtracks, 8's is 4 hours and 7's is 4 hours 30 minutes

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Both 7 and 8 have amazing overworked themese in unique ways, and those are mainly what I judge a soundtrack from. Ff8 has one of the best airship themes ever.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Having a rare invisible chest that has a super low chance to contain an item (in FF XII) seems like someone wasting their time doing it. Wonder how that was even found before the PC version. Of course, convoluted secrets is not new, but that seems excessive even beyond don't open chests and they realized that was bonkers.

Xeddicus on
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Having a rare invisible chest that has a super low chance to contain an item (in FF XVII) seems like someone wasting their time doing it. Wonder how that was even found before the PC version. Of course, convoluted secrets is not new, but that seems excessive even beyond don't open chests and they realized that was bonkers.

Xedd, pal, you blew your cover. the Time Police has been called. FFXVII isn't out yet in this timespace.

I have no idea what your past self is talking about!

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Having a rare invisible chest that has a super low chance to contain an item (in FF XVII) seems like someone wasting their time doing it. Wonder how that was even found before the PC version. Of course, convoluted secrets is not new, but that seems excessive even beyond don't open chests and they realized that was bonkers.

Xedd, pal, you blew your cover. the Time Police has been called. FFXVII isn't out yet in this timespace.

0ORtQnY.gif

Having a rare invisible chest that has a super low chance to contain an item (in FF XII) seems like someone wasting their time doing it. Wonder how that was even found before the PC version. Of course, convoluted secrets is not new, but that seems excessive even beyond don't open chests and they realized that was bonkers.

The most common theory was that it was to sell strategy guides, and the devs would've communicated the details to the guide writers. It was basically known at launch, from what I remember.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

The most common theory was that it was to sell strategy guides, and the devs would've communicated the details to the guide writers. It was basically known at launch, from what I remember.

I thoguht that was just the nonsense with the zodiac spear chest. The invisible chest always sounded less intended to me?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Krathoon wrote: »
    It's in the Gold Saucer spooky area, for rest and shopping. :)

Hopefully, they fully realize the Gold Saucer in the remake. They have to make a map for the overworld like in the original. It is too big.

Yeah, getting the Saucer right is going to be a pretty big deal for me. It may technically be just an amusement park, but so many of the big events, personal and story-wise, happen in conjunction to that place. Traveling there takes you through Corel and Barret's tragic backstory. The Date happens there. A big exposition event happens there. Cait Sith betraying the team happens there. Just a lot of important, heavy stuff flows to and through the place, in total counterpoint to the fireworks and games.

Just thinking about the place makes me a bit maudlin and honestly, I hope so hard that the remaining parts basically turn the OG game plus the remake parts into one big coherent story wherein Aerith dying to save the world was just the first act but now we get the chance to do things right. Twenty-something years to fix that piece of heartbreak would honestly be pretty amazing... if they can do it well.

Ninja Snarl P on
    This is modern Square we're talking about. FF7R was Star Wars episode 7.

"Oh ok...this is...good, this isn't half-bad...a good solid base to build the rest on. They won't screw it up now..."

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Well, hopefully they won’t bring in directors for each episode that each hate the previous one.

I'm not counting chickens before they hatch with ff7r, would be nice if it was good as a whole though. And, like, actually finishes the whole thing before I die of old age.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    After Intergrade nailed it I've got 100% faith in the coming installments until proven otherwise.

• ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    On the regular I have the opening of Triple Triad going through my head.

FF8 has the best music purely because of that.

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    ZeroCow wrote: »

I cannot conjure that song. whenever i try i get the Zozo music instead.

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I dont dislike 7s music. it is really good and has plenty of memorable tracks. i just think 8 has a much broader range of tracks that tie little things together, like in balamb the song Breezy is playing and it is legit something i could just play and relax to. but then there's the assault on the beach not 10 seconds later that starts with a heartbeat before battle and then its just fuckin yolo shut the hatch blockade runner storm the beach.

And then there's this song when you start the final dungeon. This song in 30 - 40 seconds tells you that this is a grand fucking palace and that you're stepping into castlevania so buckle up.

https://youtu.be/UYMILmY1XRw

Check out the Mog’s Mixtape version: https://youtu.be/BoF8_cRH7MI

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    edited November 2021
    It's really weird how conjuring up music in your head works.

Now it's true I didn't actually beat FF8, even as a teen it felt like playing it was more an obligation than something I really wanted to do, but all I remember from it is Balamb Garden, battle music, and Man with the Machine Gun. I also remember there is a good track called Fisherman's Horizon but I have no idea how it goes.

But I remember near 100% of FF7, FF9, FF10, and FF12.

FF12 is probably because I loved Tactics and it all sounds like Tactics music and I listened to its OST on repeat.

UncleSporky on
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    i dont remember like a single song from ff9, but ive only played through the game once. ive played through 7 and 8 probably 6-7 times each. i remember 10 had some good songs, but can only remember the battle music which i hated.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    9's soundtrack is pretty good

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    i dont remember like a single song from ff9, but ive only played through the game once.

If you’ve played through FF9, and can’t immediately summon Vamo Alla Flamenco to mind, then you haven’t played through FF9.

Or, like, Dagger’s Theme, I guess. But definitely Flamenco.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    i dont remember like a single song from ff9, but ive only played through the game once.

If you’ve played through FF9, and can’t immediately summon Vamo Alla Flamenco to mind, then you haven’t played through FF9.

It's also the official music for the Dancer job in 14.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    I played through FF9 and remember very little about it, including the music. That may have been because I played through it in quick succession after 7, 8, and Tactics.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Overall, I put FF7 above 8, but 8 definitely has the best final dungeon music in the series.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7fpPA6pxgw
    Fry wrote: »
    I played through FF9 and remember very little about it, including the music. That may have been because I played through it in quick succession after 7, 8, and Tactics.

I remember a ton of tracks, namely the title screen music, and of course, Melodies of Life, and the character themes(namely Freya's).

wVEsyIc.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »

It's also the official music for the Dancer job in 14.

Thats where remember it from. Its very distinctive.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I've had moldwynds cast Aero on Galuf twice, and I double checked that he has Learn equipped, but I didn't learn it either battle. Any ideas? He takes damage, he survives, he's alive at the end of battle...

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    This is modern Square we're talking about. FF7R was Star Wars episode 7.

"Oh ok...this is...good, this isn't half-bad...a good solid base to build the rest on. They won't screw it up now..."

I approached FF7R with the same wariness that I approached TFA (thanks to the efforts of the PT in making me suspicious of all Star Wars films).

I was actually considerably surprised when FF7R proved to not only be a surprisingly well-paced experience with fantastic visuals and music plus agreeable, even good, voice acting, but had the ambition to actually go one step beyond being just a remake of the original game. But I will be surprised if they can manage that same quality for the next two parts, and I will be amazed if they actually exceed it.

I honestly feel like comparing FF7R to TFA is shortchanging the game. TFA aped the original material while being terrified of stepping one speck of a story beyond it; people enjoyed it at the time because the glaring writing issues had two more movies to be addressed. FF7R is just a really good, fun RPG that manages remake and recapture a ton of the magic of the original while also adding a lot of good new changes. Not a perfect game, sure, but leagues and leagues beyond what I was expecting.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I've had moldwynds cast Aero on Galuf twice, and I double checked that he has Learn equipped, but I didn't learn it either battle. Any ideas? He takes damage, he survives, he's alive at the end of battle...

Has anyone else learned Aero? The Blue Magic list is shared between the whole party, unlike some other games.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Delzhand wrote: »

Has anyone else learned Aero? The Blue Magic list is shared between the whole party, unlike some other games.

I already had it, yup. I haven't actually been using blue magic, I was just doing some list cleanup, didn't realize I must have picked it up when I was working towards Learn.

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    ZeroCow wrote: »

the triple triad theme is the only FF song that regularly gets into my head, but that's because it's in FFXIV and I've heard the song 100s and 100s of times there.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Was it this thread we were talking about Chrono Cross?

If you remember a f2p game called Another Eden, it was a game heavily inspired by (and created by some of the minds behind) Chrono Trigger. Data miners found a whole bunch of code referencing a Chrono Cross collaboration.

So one more piece of evidence for a possible remaster/rerelease I guess.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

Are we talking about the invisible chest with invisible super weapons that you have to do a ton of RNG manipulation to even have a prayer of getting? I always figured that was a hidden dev thing that was not intended for players to actually find.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    A cool thing they could do is make the world map in FFVII Remake highly detailed and flicker like we are seeing some kind of holographic computer simulation.
    Then have a loading screen showing them walking, driving, or flying past some landmarks.

Krathoon on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Doom Patrol recently did an effect where this giant robot was walking across America an they did it like it was walking across a highly detailed map of the states. They should do something similar with FF7 Remake. Have fancy labels for the places and names for the territories.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    They should just shunt us to the og 7 world map.

Krathoon wrote: »
    Wonder why the travel systems seem to get less useful sometimes. Airship has set destinations (X), Chocobo's get a timer for some reason, have to have 2 different teleport systems and the wide one takes a semi-rare resource (XII). Even with the 4X speedup who wants to walk through all the zones to get to the other side of the world.

Is this with XII? I always get to the part where you use the airship and stop. I got Zodiac Age for the PS4, but I wouldn't mind it on the laptop.

Yeah, the timer and save point teleport is XII (Zodiac Age). Haven't gotten to the airship yet in it (it's probably like only it a cutscene or something...).

Quoting myself because god damn if it IS only a cutscene now!

Gimme a properly controlled airship, FF!

This discussion has been closed.