As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel TV] A Hawkeye and a Black Widow walk into a bar OPEN SPOILERS

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    It helps that Jeremy Renner sells Clint well. Like I'd buy him legit giving the larper guy a win just because it makes that guys day, but doing it by grumbling about going toe to toe with thanos was great.

Which just goes to Kate's point about branding. Clint will totally do the right thing and help people but he doesn't really make himself look awesome doing it.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    It helps that Jeremy Renner sells Clint well. Like I'd buy him legit giving the larper guy a win just because it makes that guys day, but doing it by grumbling about going toe to toe with thanos was great.

Which just goes to Kate's point about branding. Clint will totally do the right thing and help people but he doesn't really make himself look awesome doing it.

Yeah he's kind of a Charles Barkley "I'm not a role model" and she's trying to tell him he is whether he wants to be or not, but he could be inspiring people at at time when they really need it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I'm mildly bummed they got rid of Grills' Hawkguy thing.

8toept1066xl.jpeg

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    Am I the only one that hears Grill's lines in Hank Hill's voice? I still don't know why my brain chose that voice but it's stuck with me since I read it.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Well now I'm trying to remember. Did Hawkeye ever actually go "toe to toe" with Thanos? Like even just the scant briefest of actions. Like how War Machine "technically" went toe to toe with Thanos, he just got swatted away like a fly. I'm just trying to remember if there was ever a moment like that. Or is more like, while Hawkeye clearly and obviously gets the assist credit for collecting one of the stones, he never was in the same room as him, so to speak.

This is all just pedandic nerd rambling btw. Dude gets to put "I fought Thanos with a bow and arrow" on a t-shirt. This is more the silly clarification on whether it was in an active or support role.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Well now I'm trying to remember. Did Hawkeye ever actually go "toe to toe" with Thanos? Like even just the scant briefest of actions. Like how War Machine "technically" went toe to toe with Thanos, he just got swatted away like a fly. I'm just trying to remember if there was ever a moment like that. Or is more like, while Hawkeye clearly and obviously gets the assist credit for collecting one of the stones, he never was in the same room as him, so to speak.

This is all just pedandic nerd rambling btw. Dude gets to put "I fought Thanos with a bow and arrow" on a t-shirt. This is more the silly clarification on whether it was in an active or support role.

I think it's more he was in the big Thanos war, I might be wrong but I can't imagine there's anyway they put Hawkeye directly in Thanos' path.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Pretty sure he did not! He spends the early part of the fight buried under the Avengers building. Then he's running away with the nano gauntlet until he gives it to Black Panther and I think that's the last we see of him? Thanos is very close by when this hand over occurs, as Wanda attacks him shortly after, so maybe there was a cut scene of Hawkeye shooting something at him too.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Actually thinking more about it, I'll put it a better way. Tiers of Engagement.

Tier A: Literally threw a punch at, and took a punch from Thanos. Iron Man, Thor, Cap, Strange, Spidey, ect.
    Tier B: Was there in the room with the titan, but either was brushed aside or never actually attacked. War Machine, Rocket, Black Panther (all 3 at Wakanda during the final stand) Black Widow (was there in the cabin but never did anything)
    Tier C: Was an active participant in the war, but never got near Thanos. Ant Man, M'Baku, Wong. That kind of participation. And... I think Hawkeye technically falls into this category.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying Future-Step-Dad ("I bought a book") but I'm mostly intrigued and delighted by the way he looks like an off-brand Omar Sharif.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular

Tier A: Literally threw a punch at, and took a punch from Thanos. Iron Man, Thor, Cap, Strange, Spidey, ect.
    Tier B: Was there in the room with the titan, but either was brushed aside or never actually attacked. War Machine, Rocket, Black Panther (all 3 at Wakanda during the final stand) Black Widow (was there in the cabin but never did anything)
    Tier C: Was an active participant in the war, but never got near Thanos. Ant Man, M'Baku, Wong. That kind of participation. And... I think Hawkeye technically falls into this category.

To be fair, Hawkguy had the gauntlet itself and nearly got crushed by a building keeping it away from an army of not-Venoms

• Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying Future-Step-Dad ("I bought a book") but I'm mostly intrigued and delighted by the way he looks like an off-brand Omar Sharif.

That's James Bond, thank you very much.

• Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    Raynaga wrote: »

That's James Bond, thank you very much.

Not sure if you’re confusing Tony Dalton with Timothy Dalton or if that’s the joke?

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options

To be fair, Hawkguy had the gauntlet itself and nearly got crushed by a building keeping it away from an army of not-Venoms

Plot armor aside, it's crazy Clint survives the building collapse with no immediate injury. Captain America gets knocked the fuck out and Rhodey's latest n' greatest War Machine gets completely wrecked. Guy has weird luck.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    To be fair, they should have all died. Thanos bombed the shit out of the place. Plot armor saved all of them.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    They were in a fortified building though. It's designed to take some bombing.

• Options
    Well that didn't take long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3R9DOrpUDE

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    First two episodes of Hawkguy down, and that was so much better than I expected.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Two episodes in, it’s my favourite thing I’ve seen on TV this year. It’s funny, it’s earnest, it has a ton of heart, there are mysteries that I expect will mostly be paid off by the end, and it has a musical number! I haven’t read the comics that this is based on, but I’m tempted now. One way or another though, I’ll wait until the show is over.

As for one of those mysteries, the murder: while the obvious line is the fiancé, that’s obviously too obvious. I think that it was the mother. My expectation at this point is that the mother is Kate’s ultimate nemesis in this. Not sure who Clint’s nemesis is; maybe just his PTSD and the ticking clock to get home for Christmas? One way or another, I expect that Kate and the dog will spend Christmas with the Barton family, rather than with her mother.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Hawkeye is great and won me at the credits. I am bizarrely happy that the credits in a simple and straightforward manner explain how Kate can hold her own against former eastern bloc mafia.

Nosf on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    "She studied martial arts" also gets explained like three times in the show outside of the credits. Like a lot of Marvel stuff they are deathly afraid that someone will miss something so they explain most things multiple times.

edit: also I don't think any of the tracksuit people were even alive during the USSR's existence. We don't know if it's a former Eastern Bloc mafia because we don't know when the group was founded. In the MCU they're in like, what, 2026 or something?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    No matter what decades, bros are bros

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    I believe Kate said she was 11 during the Battle of New York and is 22 now, so assuming she wasn't Blipped, the year should be about 2023. This implies that Infinity War and the first part of Endgame took place in 2018.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    The line “Smash! Smash! Smaaaaaaaash!” during a modulation absolutely slays me. It’s delivered with the same conviction as the line “I can Siiiiing!” from the Dr. Zaius song in the Simpson’s Planet of the Apes musical.

Also, “we lived through the 80s, this too shall pass”. Hehe.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Hawkeye spoilers
    I really want to know what Ant-Man did to make everyone think he was a core Avenger.

• Options
    Hawkeye spoilers
    I really want to know what Ant-Man did to make everyone think he was a core Avenger.

Branding. It's like Kate said, Hawkeye's whole thing is he's low-key and hard to market, meanwhile Ant-Man is literally wearing sunglasses in the musical

The katniss gag got me

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Hawkeye spoilers

In a world of Youtube
    Ant-Man has probably been seen in his giant form fighting with the Avengers (and also with Avengers at the same time), stopping the guy on the boat in Ant-Man and the Wasp, and was literally a huge piece of the battle in Endgame. You see a guy the size of an office building smashing hundreds of alien invaders alongside Iron Man and Cap and yeah, anybody is going to think he's a major Avenger.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    the first two episodes of this were really, really good. I am hoping that it stays the same format, and every episode is a single day, leading up to Christmas.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    It's also the Ant-Man meme that he's been at everything important, you just didn't see him.

the ant-man actor in the musical being also at least a head shorter than everyone else on stage is also a very intentional choice.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

Thor's a god, Cap's a hunk, Black Widow is a knockout, "while Hawkeye seems cool, like a really nice guy...". No wonder he walked out.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    So just binged Hit Monkey. Really, really solid. Decent humor, decent action, and surprisingly great use of music throughout.

Highly recommend it, though it's definitely not for young kids.

• Options
    "She studied martial arts" also gets explained like three times in the show outside of the credits. Like a lot of Marvel stuff they are deathly afraid that someone will miss something so they explain most things multiple times.

edit: also I don't think any of the tracksuit people were even alive during the USSR's existence. We don't know if it's a former Eastern Bloc mafia because we don't know when the group was founded. In the MCU they're in like, what, 2026 or something?

That's why I said 'former' eastern bloc. No idea which of those countries they're originally out of. 616 comics were big on organized crime coming out of that region, replacing the uh "maggia". Wouldn't want to offend the mafia who apparently had ties to comic distributors early on.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Marvel apparently had an inker who they assumed was in the mafia.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    It's also the Ant-Man meme that he's been at everything important, you just didn't see him.

the ant-man actor in the musical being also at least a head shorter than everyone else on stage is also a very intentional choice.

I assume it was also a callback to the comics, where Ant-Man was an original Avenger.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I fucking loved that.

Wow I was not expecting Hawkeye to be Die Hard mixed with a little Brooklyn 99

Bro are you kidding me bro? It's the best show bro.

Pizza Dog - A+

Tracksuit Mafia - A+

Actual Clint Barton character development and some good Wind River acting from Jeremy Renner - A+

Hailee Steinfeld - A++, I've dug her since True Grit

Lastly, we're not stopping, we've got Pedro Pascal at home - B+

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    I thought the stepdad was Toast of London. He better have a phone call with Clem Fandango before season end.
    y93o3vo0ii07.jpg

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    I thought the stepdad was Toast of London. He better have a phone call with Clem Fandango before season end.
    y93o3vo0ii07.jpg

See there I just see ESPN Analyst Kenny Powers

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Step Dad has been given way too many villainous moments, he's gonna turn out to be innocent.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Step Dad has been given way too many villainous moments, he's gonna turn out to be innocent.

I think whoever said the Mom is the mastermind is on the money, but I think Stepdad is basically her enforcer.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021

I think whoever said the Mom is the mastermind is on the money, but I think Stepdad is basically her enforcer.
    I think we get a scene showing her doing a Scar to Kate's dad during the invasion of New York.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »

I think we get a scene showing her doing a Scar to Kate's dad during the invasion of New York.
    Yeah I thought this as well, be a good insurance money scheme for a struggling mother.

This discussion has been closed.