As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Webcrumlics, Webicomis, [Webcomics], you name 'em, we got 'em

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    738k0fv63k20.png
    Questionable Content
    is setting bold goals for the future.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    God creating people so a number of them can suffer for eternity in some cold horrible place seems like a shitty move

Who is God to decide who gets heaven or hell anyway? God has no mandate to be judging people.

Solar on
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    God creating people so a number of them can suffer for eternity in some cold horrible place seems like a shitty move

Who is God to decide who gets heaven or hell anyway? God has no mandate to be judging people.

Well, that's the thing. The idea is he gave mankind free will to choose how they would act themselves. He doesn't make those choices. He already knows the outcome but he still gives you the option knowing some will choose the wrong option.

I am slowly losing my faith in all that, though. I feel as if the way people choose is not so much free will but the way society molds them. How is that free will?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    This is going to turn into a Good Place discussion, isn't it?

I just run this by my Pratchett Quotes For All Occasions:
    If there is any kind of supreme being, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior.

• Options
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    New Alfie is up!

Alfie is making herself useful.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited November 2021

Well, that's the thing. The idea is he gave mankind free will to choose how they would act themselves. He doesn't make those choices. He already knows the outcome but he still gives you the option knowing some will choose the wrong option.

I am slowly losing my faith in all that, though. I feel as if the way people choose is not so much free will but the way society molds them. How is that free will?

Well, as you wrote yourself - he already knows the outcome. Free will doesn't mean you have 100% influence on what you want, feel and choose. For one, we are physical beings and our choices are actually physical / chemical processes dictated by the laws of nature. It just means no higher power is guiding your hand. And to be specific, yes, all our choices are dictated either by our genes or by our experience (so, for the most part, society).

EDIT: Hey, @Cambiata wanna start a religion fantheory thread?

Mayday on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021

this was always the biggest cop out bullshit to me, and the big part of the Christian mythos that just fell apart under scrutiny

God is a benevolent omnipotent being, but has also chosen to never intervene and help anybody, even innocent people. You could have saved those babies from that plague, instead you let them suffer and die.

Why the fuck would anyone worship you? How could you judge anyone's morality or actions? You haven't done shit since the beginning. Get fucked, I'll choose hell over your hypocrisy.

Brolo on
  • Options
    I've never had anyone explain away that contradiction to me in a satisfactory matter.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Heaven makes even less sense than hell to me. What’s the point of creating souls, putting them in these earthly vessels for the tiniest fraction of time to suffer on earth, then sending them right back up to hang out with you for all eternity. What’s the purpose of that? It seems like a huge waste of time and energy!

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    amber is bar none the worse doa character

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

this was always the biggest cop out bullshit to me, and the big part of the Christian mythos that just fell apart under scrutiny

God is a benevolent omnipotent being, but has also chosen to never intervene and help anybody, even innocent people. You could have saved those babies from that plague, instead you let them suffer and die.

Why the fuck would anyone worship you? How could you judge anyone's morality or actions? You haven't done shit since the beginning. Get fucked, I'll choose hell over your hypocrisy.

There's also the argument from free will which is the bigger paradox for me - i.e. if a god knows everything then they know what choices we'll make, if our choices are predestined then we can't act freely so therefore we do not have free will

• Options
    crwth wrote: »
    amber is bar none the worse doa character

I would have picked amber's dad but he at least had the decency to be violently murdered.

• Options
    Worst person, or worst character?
    Because I can get behind the argument for one of those.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    there are worse people on the comic but not worse characters, imo

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    STARS 011-015 https://imgur.com/gallery/mtmYdrb

Swords comic has another series on imgur called stars

Edit
    https://i.imgur.com/0ZzNKRU.png

I enjoy that one

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
  • Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular

There's also the argument from free will which is the bigger paradox for me - i.e. if a god knows everything then they know what choices we'll make, if our choices are predestined then we can't act freely so therefore we do not have free will

But it all works better if you stop saying god knows the future. I don't think the Bible was super clear on his omni knowledge.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    notya wrote: »

But it all works better if you stop saying god knows the future. I don't think the Bible was super clear on his omni knowledge.

Omniscience is omniscience. You can't be a little bit all-knowing, kind of infallible. The whole thing is predicated on emphasizing god is perfect and can do no wrong.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    The whole thing is predicated on emphasizing god is perfect and can do no wrong.
    Well, He was, then He took His eyes off us for one damn second:
    ai6azzyp1w42.png
    SMBC

klemming on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Moth 13 wrote: »

Hah, I don't actively read SD, just check in on it when y'all are actively freaking out, didn't realize that character's name was actually "Goops" - thought that was the PA nickname for her!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I notice all the buildings are pure white tonight in SD. Normally they're all kinds of colors and patterns.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Moth 13 wrote: »

Hah, I don't actively read SD, just check in on it when y'all are actively freaking out, didn't realize that character's name was actually "Goops" - thought that was the PA nickname for her!

Goops is a nickname the characters have assigned. That character's real name could be something really important, we can't know yet.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    My theory is that Goops is the first magical girl, with her statue in the cemetery being featureless to everyone's perception because of something that happened which made her into Goops and/or learned the truth about things.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

I was going to guess this was his Thanksgiving meal, but in my family you start cooking Thanksgiving at like, 11am and you'd be serving it around 1pm. I think the idea is so that you don't miss out on the football? I dunno. I also dunno if Abbadon is in any region of the world where Thanksgiving is a holiday in which he would take part.

Either way, I really want to make Beef Wellington some day, that has got to be the most luxurious meals one can eat. What do you suppose you should prepare as a vegetable side?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

I agree with C.S. Lewis that this always sounded like a bunch of hooey. To watch a man do something is not to make him do it.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    If God knows that I'll never worship him, and he considers that a prerequisite for eternal joy etc, then why did he allow me to come into existence knowing that its just to suffer?

Answer: cos he's a dick

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

I agree with C.S. Lewis that this always sounded like a bunch of hooey. To watch a man do something is not to make him do it.

You're missing the step where they created everything, including the situations you react to. If you create everything and know everything then your responsibility is for everything.

Which is where the watching thing breaks down.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

Not when you made it with divine hands! Like, is God not responsible for their own Creation? If they are, then they are morally responsible as well. If they aren't, why call them God?

Verily I say unto thee, fuck god, fuck theology, it's real-life fanfiction, and most of all, fuck the Black Templars.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »

Not when you made it with divine hands! Like, is God not responsible for their own Creation? If they are, then they are morally responsible as well. If they aren't, why call them God?

Verily I say unto thee, fuck god, fuck theology, it's real-life fanfiction, and most of all, fuck the Black Templars.

Hey, you leave the Blacks out of this!

• Options
    Elaro wrote: »

I guess I still don't get it, because it seems like that statement just further proves the fan theory that God thinks free will is so good and special that He created all these living action figures that can totally defy him and do whatever the fuck they want and not follow the story he wrote at all even if they hurt each other in the process.

Now if you're saying that he's an asshole for deciding free will is so important that he lets people get away with evil shit, he sits there and watches them do it, gives them the power, will, energy and intelligence to do it even, that's a different conversation, but there is fan lore on that stuff too.

If you could create a set of magical action figures and give them all individual personalities, would you want to use your secret mage powers to force them to love you or would you want them to be able to choose to love you? There's a whole bunch of fiction on the topic of forcing people to feel feelings for you and how uncool and lonely it is in the end and how you'd rather just be loved but one person for real than a bunch of people for fake reasons! The RPG guide to this setting specifically says that humans were created in God's image, so if humans feel that way why wouldn't God feel that way, too? If your response to that is that it makes the God in this setting too selfish and cruel, to create a world full of potential assholes just for the possibility that some might love Him, don't you think the creatures in that setting might think that getting to figure out love amongst themselves is pretty nice, too? Even if they often pick out love partners who are unsuitable so their hearts break, only to eventually find someone amazing that they never would have found without that heartbreak? I'm just saying, when people talk about this stuff they always act like it's a simple equation of insert X human token and receive Y human happiness, as if when these discussions happen they suddenly forget that humans are messy or something.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    this is all explained in Demon

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    any god that could exist is a creature that ancient humans only vaguely grasped at describing with metaphor, and we have only played a continual game of telephone with each successive generation since regarding the subject

liEt3nH.png
This discussion has been closed.