As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] - Tories Dropping like Johnson's Flies

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I think after the Paterson affair he was on shaky ground. Especially since he also pissed off a ton of his own MPs by ordering a three-line whip and then immediately U-turning, so there's a greater chance of there being some real consequences to him continually fucking up in the form of a leadership challenge rather than all this impacting a general election a few years down the line.

So this is really just the first public embarrassment after people have started to dust off the knife sharpeners.

My money is on Raab being the front runner should it come to a leadership challenge, I don't think Sunak will make the jump to leader just yet.

Tastyfish on
  • EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    All this peppa pig talk just keeps making me think of the "groin, groin" meme.

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Obviously there are no good options when it comes to Tory front benchers but I am genuinely scared at the prospect of Priti Patel being PM. She's an honest to god psychopath, even by Tory standards.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Einzel wrote: »

Is that a David Cameron joke?

If not, it should be.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Einzel wrote: »

Is that a David Cameron joke?

If not, it should be.
    Black Mirror already did it.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Boris Johnson is not unwell and has not lost his grip, says No 10
    Boris Johnson is physically well and has a full grasp on the prime ministership, Downing Street has said following his rambling speech to business leaders on Monday in which he lost his place for about 20 seconds.

...that this apparently needed to be said at all tells you exactly how much complete bollocks it is.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    did he ever have it?

Marina has checked in.
    You may have heard the odd lie fall from the lips of Boris Johnson, but few are more solidly outrageous than Monday’s claim that he “loved” Peppa Pig World. Sorry, but no. I refuse to believe any adult human has attended this attraction and not spent a significant time in the queue for Miss Rabbit’s Helicopter Flight Googling “Mirena coil” or “vasectomies near me”. I know Johnson’s desire to bring unspecified numbers of children into the world is thus far irrepressible, but here, surely, is where these urges meet their Waterloo. The entire place reeks so powerfully of the nudge unit that I don’t even believe its genuine purpose is a theme park. It’s just a massive, brightly coloured loss leader for Big Snip.

• HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Obviously there are no good options when it comes to Tory front benchers but I am genuinely scared at the prospect of Priti Patel being PM. She's an honest to god psychopath, even by Tory standards.

She'd fit the Tory's archetype of a stern woman take change and tell them what to do, but also who loathes the same people they do.

I wouldn't be surprised, is all....

sig.gif
    HerrCron wrote: »

She'd fit the Tory's archetype of a stern woman take change and tell them what to do, but also who loathes the same people they do.

Patel makes Thatcher look like a fuzzy teddy bear.

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    I mean I've only been when I didn't have my own children and I enjoyed it. I should add that Peppa Pig world isn't it's own thing, it's a part of Paulton's Park, which is kind of like what Thorpe Park was like before it turned into the Southern Alton Towers.

We were with my nephew and niece, and it was a wet miserable day. The pig bit is near where all the big food and drink places are, which gave you a perfect place to sit and eat your fish and chips watching parents race after children who were desperate to jump up and down in muddy puddles. This definitely put being damp on crap rides back into perspective and let me experience the mild thrills of the Edge in a new more positive light.

Why you'd go to a place themed around someone who's main hobby is jumping in puddles on a wet day I've no idea, but it was important lesson to learn for us before we had kids.

Get out your stopped clock metaphors out they've somehow done something right! Virginity testing is now banned in England and Wales.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59391610

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Miss Rabbit’s helicopter ride is the weakest ride; even my girls (4 and 8) know this, but we’ve been every year for the last 4 years and we’ve always had a lovely time at Paulton’s.

That includes one day when it absolutely chucked it down.

The real enjoyment I get from going to the park is from seeing my daughters have a lovely time; the real bonus is that my 4 year old can go on about 80-90% of the rides for the previous years she’s been.

PSN Fleety2009
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    Miss Rabbit’s helicopter ride is the weakest ride; even my girls (4 and 8) know this, but we’ve been every year for the last 4 years and we’ve always had a lovely time at Paulton’s.

That includes one day when it absolutely chucked it down.

The real enjoyment I get from going to the park is from seeing my daughters have a lovely time; the real bonus is that my 4 year old can go on about 80-90% of the rides for the previous years she’s been.

We went a few years back and made it to the Peppa Pig section by about 11am. Every ride had a queue of at least an hour with the Dinosaur ride being the worst as it's so low capacity so instead we distracted our child with something and did the rest of the rides in the park. About an hour from closing we came back around to the section and everything was a walk-on so we managed to do all of the rides that weren't just flat spinning rides in that hour and even had time for the thoroughly pointless Queen's Elevated Car Ride Thing.

After all that his favourite rides were the Dinosaur Jeep thing and the Inverted Coaster so I'm not sure we should've even bothered

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Dominic Raab has defended Boris, saying he's "on great form".
    I feel like this can just work as another knife in the back, as this suggests that this is Boris at his most optimal. Like, the best we can get from him.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    klemming wrote: »
    I feel like this can just work as another knife in the back, as this suggests that this is Boris at his most optimal. Like, the best we can get from him.

Like others have already said, this is Boris on form. Nothing has changed except he's pissed off his party enough that some of them have stopped pretending the emperor is wearing clothes.

• CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular

If it's not Sunak I'll be surprised. He's quite young, but everyone else is either tainted by association with Johnson/May or has been hammered in the press frequently. Gove maybe, but I don't get the impression he has a lot of friends.

Genuine questions, has Johnson had a high point? Has there been any point in the last two years where he's done something that could be considered praise-worthy? The closest would be the vaccine roll-out, but I believe that was in spite of the cabinet rather than because of it.

I give Cummings credit for one thing and one thing only, and that's the metaphor of Johnson as a careening trolley.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Sure he had a high point. He was pretty high up when he got stuck on that zip line years ago. Really should've stayed there

honovere on

If it's not Sunak I'll be surprised. He's quite young, but everyone else is either tainted by association with Johnson/May or has been hammered in the press frequently. Gove maybe, but I don't get the impression he has a lot of friends.

Genuine questions, has Johnson had a high point? Has there been any point in the last two years where he's done something that could be considered praise-worthy? The closest would be the vaccine roll-out, but I believe that was in spite of the cabinet rather than because of it.

I give Cummings credit for one thing and one thing only, and that's the metaphor of Johnson as a careening trolley.

"Delivering" "brexit" and taking credit for the vaccine roll out got him this far and bought him way more leeway than he ever deserved.

edited November 2021

The question will be, can the Tories desire to have a replacement of Boris with all the traits you list, override the fact that Sunak is... well... clearly not of the right "pedigree"? He's clearly credentialed enough, but being the child of Punjabi immigrants seems like it might be a hard thing for the rest of the party and a good portion of the electorate to accept.

Maybe I'm wrong, and conservative principles override all, as it clearly did with gender (Thatcher and May). But it does feel like it'll be a sticking point for some of them.

MorganV on
  • CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    It probably will be a sticking point with some of them, but I don't think they'd hobble their chances at staying in power over it. They are pragmatic like that, unlike Labour.

Even if Sunak didn't win, they would certainly relish the chance to point out they have had female (twice!) and PoC leaders of the party before Labour have managed to have anything other than a white man, which, you know, isn't a bad point.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    It's a point of pride for certain Conservatives that they aren't racist because they like certain groups of non-Caucasians.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Rich ones

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    Yeah I think most Tories, whatever their views, will hold their noses for people as spectacularly wealthy as Rishi Sunak's family

His father in law is a literal billionaire

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Tories are perfectly capable of accepting a person of colour as long as they're, you know, not like the others, not always banging on about racism or injustice and happy to stamp on a refugee's fingers if they're clinging on to the cliffs at Dover. A person like that both validates their own opinions and makes them feel they can't be accused of being a racist because look, we've got one of our own, you know, one of them, so we can't be racist.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    "His family came over here the right way"

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]

That's enough to get him IN the club. I'm curious if it's enough to let him be the manager.

I thought it was established that if his family tried to come over here now, they wouldn't get in?
    A perfect example of fuck you, got mine.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The Tories have quite a few people of colour as MPs and Ministers. I don't think that the accusation that they're generically racist flies too well with the public.

(As it happens I think the membership is often quite to very racist and there's a wholesale rejection of modern race theory in the party such as the idea of Britain being institutionally racist, plus there are definitely a lot of racist Tory elected officials especially in councils etc. But I don't think you'll get far saying they're racist when they can point to Patel, Javid, Sunak, Kwarteng, Cleverly etc)

edited November 2021
    It's less racist and more classist. (while still being quite racist)
    They just hate poor people, they don't really care what colour they are.
    I mean, look at them. They're just all so damn poor.

klemming on
    It's less racist and more classist. (while still being quite racist)
    They just hate poor people, they don't really care what colour they are.
    I mean, look at them. They're just all so damn poor.

"Why do they choose to be poor? Why don't they just use their other money?" Etc, etc.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    It's impossible for them to consider poor people as anything less than just lazy layabouts. They're born wealthy and they have no experience of what it's like to worry about a leaking roof, a bust car engine, or a huge phone bill, and they've always been surrounded by their lessers in servile positions as waiters, cleaners, administrators, and pig wranglers, so the only reason you're really poor is because you want to stay at home on benefits. Honestly, they have no clue. Every PM prospect should be asked the price of milk and a loaf of bread and watch as they say £20. Which will be true soon admittedly, but in their case it's just because they don't know.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    They shouldn't just be asked the cost - they should be given a month's salary of minimum wage and instructed to make a budget

Ideally then forced to live it but I don't think you can do that unless you get Endemol involved

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    They shouldn't just be asked the cost - they should be given a month's salary of minimum wage and instructed to make a budget

Ideally then forced to live it but I don't think you can do that unless you get Endemol involved

The problem with this is that you still make very different choices when the stakes aren't real

There's that infamous article of some years ago where some entrepreneur gave himself a minimum wage budget for all of his living costs and built up a contracting business with a few employees, to prove it could be done

The issue with it was that to do it, he made decisions that no sane person would ever make without a safety net. Like at one point he ploughed literally everything into buying a used pickup truck, essentially gambling everything that he could secure a contracting job he could use to feed himself for the next couple of weeks

If the scenario had been real, that was a "this either works, or I'm homeless and destitute" moment, and nobody is going to take that chance for real if they have literally any other option. Someone actually in those economic circumstances is not going to risk that a twisted ankle, or the truck breaking down, or a job falling through or being delayed, is going to cost them literally everything.

He also didn't count the fact he had kids or the cost of supporting them, which is not something anyone actually in those circumstances has the luxury of doing

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    It's also really difficult to overstate just how easy it is to make money when you already have money, which substantially contributes to the empathy gap that the well-off frequently have.

If you've got half a million pounds and invest it in something with a 5% return, you're making the average annual salary of the UK. For doing nothing.

Burnage on
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

I can’t help but wonder if maybe Boris has some long Covid brain fog, and people are becoming less willing to cover for him and bringing the knives out.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    He's always been a lazy, bumbling shithead who would rather not do the hard work whatever position he's in requires.

Bogart wrote: »
    He's always been a lazy, bumbling shithead who would rather not do the hard work whatever position he's in requires.

The most frustrating part of this is people acting like Boris has slipped from some imagined high point. Literally nothing has changed, Boris has always been Boris. He's followed a pretty much identical arc to his time as London Mayor. Great campaigner, everyone finds his schtick very amusing, terrible at actually governing and everyone acts surprised that when you elect an idiot he turns out to make idiotic decisions.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

The most frustrating part of this is people acting like Boris has slipped from some imagined high point. Literally nothing has changed, Boris has always been Boris. He's followed a pretty much identical arc to his time as London Mayor. Great campaigner, everyone finds his schtick very amusing, terrible at actually governing and everyone acts surprised that when you elect an idiot he turns out to make idiotic decisions.

I wonder if Boris is frustrated by this fact as well. He's literally done nothing different then he always has but suddenly it's not working.

edited November 2021
    shryke wrote: »

I wonder if Boris is frustrated by this fact as well. He's literally done nothing different then he always has but suddenly it's not working.

We can but hope. Schadenfreude might be all we have left.

Jazz on
This discussion has been closed.