As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Life of [Raspberry] Pi

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    You can get PCIe cards with multiple Ethernet ports. Then use something like Pfsense to create a nested switch. But I think it would require its own CPU.

PiHole may be able to handle all that now. The software has really come a long way. I'm waiting for someone to find a way to load Pihole on retail routers ala DD-WRT.

• Options
    Also yes. When I poked around last night, there were multiple Thingiverse files for nested Pi in a PC

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    I think I'm going to go with a POE hat and switch. It'll give me an easier way to expand and tinker and reduce the wiring inside the already small case.

Also I tend to fuck up a lot and occasionally have issues shutting down the pi using the included power switch, this will let me effectively unplug it and POE hats have cooling/fans, which seems like a good idea in an enclosure shared with other things that generate heat.

• Options
    PiHole users: what Blocklists are you using? I've got 3 or 4 and I'm looking to consolidate.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Weird question, but we've been struggling with my daughter and her inability to process how much time she has, so I was thinking of trying to get some LED's and making a sort of color clock, where the color changes as "event" approaches. I'm hoping the code for "check time, return time X, display color X" is relatively light work, and I can do this with the Zero I have? Also, does anyone have suggestions for some lights that would work well? Debating between a bulb and trying to set up some sort of string light deal.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    The hardest part of scripting that seems like it would be doing the math to connect change in the countdown variable to movement through the three dimensional R, G, B space, drawing a line from the starting color value to the final deadline color value.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Weird question, but we've been struggling with my daughter and her inability to process how much time she has, so I was thinking of trying to get some LED's and making a sort of color clock, where the color changes as "event" approaches. I'm hoping the code for "check time, return time X, display color X" is relatively light work, and I can do this with the Zero I have? Also, does anyone have suggestions for some lights that would work well? Debating between a bulb and trying to set up some sort of string light deal.

Maybe something like this?

https://www.pishop.us/product/unicorn-hat-hd/

Multiple vendors make something like this, but this is one of the first I found in stock.

Should be easy to do some sort of clock that changes color as time decreases.

Pi4’s are still hard to find in stock though.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    There are a number of resources that detail code and hardware for a countdown timer.

https://maker.pro/raspberry-pi/projects/raspberry-pi-three-in-one-timer-clock-countdown-timer-stopwatch

The easiest may be to buy a breadboard, wire in 3 LEDs (red, yellow, green?), then modify the code. Thus you remove having to deal with color codes and just have to turn a specific channel on/off with the GPIO connection.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I was messing with Retropie on a Pi.
    Then, I wanted more power an hooked a laptop up to the TV.
    Still, it is fun to have as something portable to use.
    I will have to hook it up and see if there are any updates.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I got power hungry. I wish they would fix up the Saturn emulator on a Pi.
    The guy seems more focused on Android. A Kindle works great for emulation.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    PiHole users: what Blocklists are you using? I've got 3 or 4 and I'm looking to consolidate.

Semi-related: I've been giving thought to a PiHole option as a way to block Youtube ads (the way my browser can, but for apps).

Unfortunately that seems completely beyond what a physical solution like that can do (even through a browser app can). So back to square one.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Damn this component shortage, I need some CM4 modules for my upcoming Turing Pi box.

• Options
    So much cool stuff happening all of a sudden. 1U compute blades for CM4s.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/bBdq2hf5R0I

• Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »

Semi-related: I've been giving thought to a PiHole option as a way to block Youtube ads (the way my browser can, but for apps).

Unfortunately that seems completely beyond what a physical solution like that can do (even through a browser app can). So back to square one.

Yeah, DNS level blocking won't work because Youtube uses _all_ the tricks to deliver adds and rotates, individualizes and randomizes the domain names and addresses you could intercept - as far as I understand it.

• Options
    Apparently Twitch is reading from the same playbook, because the add-ons I use routinely get thwarted and I'm forced into ad rolls.

Even though I'm a Prime member

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    For now, uBlock keeps youtube ad-free, so whatever anti-ad wizardry they're doing still works. Although sometimes a video just straight up won't play until after the nominal length of the advert.

• Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    Yeah, on the browser level you can modify the elements that get displayed. That’s like destroying the mailbox vs. trying to intercept every adress which could send you something.

• Options
    My Turing Pi 2 board arrived today!

Now begins the eternal quest of scoring some CM4 modules and a half-decent Mini ITX case.

• Options
    This was cute. It is technically a "NAS", in the sense that it's a Pi Zero 2W with a 128 gig USB stick in a 3D-printed case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyOHTZvhnxY

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    This is a neat little device:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9RmdUsp1jo

A shame that the actual Pi boards needed to drive it are still so hard to find in stock anywhere at the moment.

• Options
    Yep, still waiting for CM4:s to not be mythological unicorns for this:
    Echo wrote: »
    My Turing Pi 2 board arrived today!

Now begins the eternal quest of scoring some CM4 modules and a half-decent Mini ITX case.

• Options
    Oh hey, I'm seeing CM4:s in Germany! Could order from there, or wait a little bit and see when they show up in stock at Swedish vendors.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    The US is still a Pi desert. Every time I was at the Microcenter in Columbus they’ve been out, even Pi3’s.

As a result I’m running klipper for my printer on a 8GB Pi4. Way overkill for that.

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Pishop.us has zeros and 3 series. I've been playing with picos lately.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Bah, I got the bright idea to try putting together a PiHole and literally everywhere is sold out of everything. Hell I finally stopped looking for the recommended 3B+ and just decided to go with a 4, and in the time between picking it out, signing up for Adafruit, and re-doing my cart... it's sold out.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Bah, I got the bright idea to try putting together a PiHole and literally everywhere is sold out of everything. Hell I finally stopped looking for the recommended 3B+ and just decided to go with a 4, and in the time between picking it out, signing up for Adafruit, and re-doing my cart... it's sold out.

https://www.pishop.us/product/raspberry-pi-4-model-b-4gb/

In stock, at the moment.

• Options
    https://rpilocator.com/ has the entire first page in green! Nature is healing!

• Options
    vgyuw1z0yuth.png

1800+ 8GB Pi4s in stock at Digikey!

• Options
    Oh, I just got an email from the Turing people, since I backed their Turing Pi 2 kickstarter.
    We're thrilled to announce that the Turing RK1 is now available for pre-order. You can choose from 8, 16 and 32GB RAM.

That's their own Rockchip RK3588 SoC they've been developing. Definitely interested in that for my homelab cluster.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Good review of the Beep-Berry/Beepy:

https://hackaday.com/2023/08/07/review-beepy-a-palm-sized-linux-hacking-playground/

Remotely unlock cars and garage doors! (Do not actually do this.)

• Options
    And this thing is crazy too:

https://www.clockworkpi.com/

(Uses the Pi CM4).

It's like a Game Boy, a scientific calculator, and a laptop all got shoved in a blender, and spat back out.

• Options
    "Bedroom Programmers" is a term I never thought existed

• Options
    Like this:
    1ujy6m80f5rn.png
    Except she seems to be missing the requisite desk to go with that chair.

• Options
    ItsHappening.gif

I've managed to secure orders for 3, thats right THREE Pi4s with the memory level I want (ie not 4/8 GB) in the last week and a half.

Of course I don't need any more Pi4s now at the moment, but still, it feels great to be able to get the things again.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    Oh, I just got an email from the Turing people, since I backed their Turing Pi 2 kickstarter.
    We're thrilled to announce that the Turing RK1 is now available for pre-order. You can choose from 8, 16 and 32GB RAM.

That's their own Rockchip RK3588 SoC they've been developing. Definitely interested in that for my homelab cluster.

...so I decided to order four of the 16 gig versions of their RK1 SoCs. More expensive than CM4 equivalents (...though I think CM4 only goes to 8 gigs?), but a whole lot more powerful.

• Options
    Also I should really look into Ansible. I keep going "but I just have to change whatever setting on four devices, I'll just do it manually this time too."

• Options
    4ynhlf6kc7iz.png

It's glorious. Digikey alone has over 6000 Pi4 8GBs in stock. Maybe by the new year we will see CM4s in stock continuously as well.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I am considering building a multi effects pedal board for my guitar using my old pi3b+ as a fun project

But on the other hand I'm extremely bad at soldering, and worse about building any kind of enclosure

But it doesn't seem impossible with a bit of tinkering, mainly I'll need a USB audio interface, a few momentary switches and maybe pots, miscellaneous wires, maybe a touch screen if I don't want to make the unit headless somehow. Oh and a fan and heatsink for the pi itself since it'll need overclocking for latency issues.

Anyone ever tried anything like this?