As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Update your resume to get a new [Job] thread

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Gone sign all my emails "Your Humble Servant"

You should use the old timey abbreviations like 'Yr Obt Svt'

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    My coworker (not a boomer, just ~50+) still uses L.S. as a greeting. At least we pulled a fast one on him and a generic automated message we send out start with a more modern gender-neutral greeting.

huh, L.S. is completely new to me. Literally never heard of that before this moment. Interesting!

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

"God b w y"

Could probably shorten it and just take all the spaces out

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

Was literally just about to say I’ve used “ Your Obdt. St” in emails to my old boss, and he did not seem to pick up on it.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    European Culture Update:

I have gotten at least one class of seniors fully onboard with Eurovision.

The tradition endures.

Next up for World Culture exposure:

Miss Universe Costume Contest
    Heffling wrote: »
    Don't teach the next generation to objectify women.

Pretty firmly "eh" here. There are shitty pageants and shitty portions of the Miss Universe pageant but this bit especially is really just a little bit of fabulous. Like the overtly sexy costumes don't even typically win.

This was 2020's winner:
    420or9c27cz4.png

2019:
    f6mm9ezzb55k.png

2018:
    sy37la41icvq.png

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I see 2018 was a group project

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I'm in Purchasing and for Vendors and other folks I talk to on a regular basis its just a first name greeting, no "dear" or anything else. For companies I haven't dealt with much its just "Vendor Team" and then start the message. My signature has a "- Thank you" and thats all. No Sincerely or anything like that.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    My coworker (not a boomer, just ~50+) still uses L.S. as a greeting. At least we pulled a fast one on him and a generic automated message we send out start with a more modern gender-neutral greeting.

I had to look that up. That's cool but also wow, old school.

Edit: For clarity though, since no one speaks Latin anymore, they should just say "Greetings to the reader" which sounds nice.

But...I took 3 years of that shit and can still read Catullus and the Vulgate without a Latin grammar open!

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

2020 was a group project. I made the sign.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    European Culture Update:

I have gotten at least one class of seniors fully onboard with Eurovision.

The tradition endures.

Next up for World Culture exposure:

Miss Universe Costume Contest
    Don't teach the next generation to objectify women.

Pretty firmly "eh" here. There are shitty pageants and shitty portions of the Miss Universe pageant but this bit especially is really just a little bit of fabulous. Like the overtly sexy costumes don't even typically win.
    This was 2020's winner:
    420or9c27cz4.png

2019:
    f6mm9ezzb55k.png

2018:
    sy37la41icvq.png

Yeah, it's more an opportunity for fashion designers to get incredibly high and test the boundaries of physics to make their most fantastic opium dream come true.

USA 2013:

nd5lqffc7tnz.jpeg

Miss Guatemala 2018 (does show some midriff, but still very tame) :

bki1zj0mi4gs.jpg

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    How the fuck miss USA 2013 up there walking without shattering an ankle

3cl1ps3 wrote: »

No clue, and I watched as it happened. It's a mystery.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »

very
    carefully

• KadithKadith Registered User regular
    I freak out internally anytime someone sends a Dear "firstname" email to me

but in more important news all the folks under me were able to leave early today so we have escaped capitalism for 4 days (hopefully)

zkHcp.jpg
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I'm in Purchasing and for Vendors and other folks I talk to on a regular basis its just a first name greeting, no "dear" or anything else. For companies I haven't dealt with much its just "Vendor Team" and then start the message. My signature has a "- Thank you" and thats all. No Sincerely or anything like that.

At my last job I dealt with a lot of our vendor partners in China, and a lot of those folks address emails just to “dear,” or “hello dear,”. No name or anything. Even when they know me and we’re directly exchanging emails.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I see I have made a lasting contribution to the forums! I can die knowing I have a legacy!

It's too bad the last couple of years of the Miss Universe Costumes have been so lackluster, though. I guess Covid and... fascism have put a damper on pretty costumes, though. Ain't nobody in the mood for glittery robots and killer bird queens when the proto-nazis come into town. I mean obviously I still am, but the costumers apparently aren't.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

At my last job I dealt with a lot of our vendor partners in China, and a lot of those folks address emails just to “dear,” or “hello dear,”. No name or anything. Even when they know me and we’re directly exchanging emails.

Oh yea! I forgot about this, been a while since I worked with China. Very polite in all forms of communication. Even like you said, after a long period communicating. My boss who went over there on business said it wasn't nearly so formal after a day or two in person. Back to politeness though going back to emails and phone calls after the trip.

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    In the ten years or so I've been working in manufacturing, this is the first time I've ever had to work overnight into Thanksgiving. I get to work 12 hours, shut down, drive an hour back home, and either sleep through the holiday or stay up all day and be a miserable zombie.

I don't know how you retail or food service folks do it.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    korodullin wrote: »
    In the ten years or so I've been working in manufacturing, this is the first time I've ever had to work overnight into Thanksgiving. I get to work 12 hours, shut down, drive an hour back home, and either sleep through the holiday or stay up all day and be a miserable zombie.

Aren't you in printing? What is so hot that it has to be done to ship out Monday? I would think printing for the Christmas season would already be over. Our busy holiday month was October.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

You can tell because there’s one person doing all the work.

Aren't you in printing? What is so hot that it has to be done to ship out Monday? I would think printing for the Christmas season would already be over. Our busy holiday month was October.

We did all our Christmas printing back in April. We're working on stuff that doesn't ship out til January. There is nothing hot that needs to go out, we're just working because we're told we have to.

Half the plant has had to "volunteer" to work on Friday as well, because we're understaffed and the other departments need to catch up.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

Next time they send you an email signed Lectori Salutem just respond back, "Salute em? I barely knew em."

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I've been signing my e-mails with bumbulo confido for years and nobody's ever said anything.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    No, very specifically and only libraries. If you could see the non-Euclidian nightmare a staff intranet evolves into after ten years of too much input from catalogers, you'd agree with me.

Librarians have Knowledge
    Knowledge equals Power.
    Power is the time derivative of Energy.
    Energy is a measure of work, and one measure of work is a Force applied over a distance.
    Force is a Mass times its acceleration. Mass is a measurement of Matter.
    Matter distorts Reality.

Librarians, by controlling Knowledge, control Reality.
    You can see this in the real world, where there's an underlying organization but only the Librarians truly understand it.
    Also, while searching for a book difficult to classify, Google gave me this recommended autocomplete:
    aq5hvr3zdvr8.png

I am really interested in a liquid book.

Am I Gas Or Not?.com

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Kind of a big shift coming from "If you do your job wrong, somebody needs to change a number in a system" and going to "If you do your job wrong the brakes will fail and kill everyone in both cars"

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Wife met some young Tories on a training course the other day.

They appear to be farm "managers" but have clearly been given jobs on their parents farms.

Talking loudly about how eastern Europeans are all lazy and don't want to do the work they tell them to.

Also joking bout how they bully the only black person they work with (they don't work for my wife's company).

She called them out, she didn't call them Tory scum like she wanted to, but still I'm proud of her.

They spent the rest of the course scoffing anytime she spoke.

As I was in the process of shutting my press down early and getting everything squared away for the holiday, the following exchange happened:

Supervisor: "Hey Koro can you do me a favor before you leave today?"

Me: "What do you need?"

Supervisor: "Can you swing by <department on the other side of the plant> and make sure they shut down right and didn't miss anything?

Me: "Uh... I don't know anything about that department. I've never done anything over there.

Supervisor: "Well shoot. Can you go over there and check anyway? I told the guys there that you knew everything and could check for them."

?????

????????????

ZvOMJnu.png
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    As I was in the process of shutting my press down early and getting everything squared away for the holiday, the following exchange happened:

Supervisor: "Can you swing by <department on the other side of the plant> and make sure they shut down right and didn't miss anything?

Me: "Uh... I don't know anything about that department. I've never done anything over there.

Supervisor: "Well shoot. Can you go over there and check anyway? I told the guys there that you knew everything and could check for them."

?????

????????????

I sure hope omniscience comes with a pay increase!

Children's rights are human rights.
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021

?????

????????????

"Well that was a dumb thing to do. Good luck with that, Happy Thanksgiving!"

sarukun on
    Call them on the phone and ask if they shut down or missed anything and call it good.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I'm gonna need a word when the dumbass cracker all the other crackers warned me about chooses to describe how they're going to be a dumbass cracker in future conflicts on the job

This is after his ass got beat last week by being a dumbass

edited November 2021
    Such a weird combination of stuff happening and going through my head today.

I do have to work a full 8 (volunteered, kinda like a did for 4th of July) and am covering a position that I haven't worked since I went up into the finance offices full time late last year. Happy to see nothing has really changed, but looking at all the little things I've found wrong on some of the forms that the ones that do this job now is kinda infuriating and checking their cash variances over the last few months leaves me wondering if any single one of them is even the least bit detail oriented. None of these things are huge term-worth errors, but damn are there a shitload of little errors.

That's the shit part, but my mom got released from the hospital yesterday (severe UTI that hit her hard in just a single day) so I can hang with her and my dad tonight (probably just going watch some streaming stuff and make a simple dinner for them since she's going need some time to get her strength back) and thanks to getting the second highest annual raise I could get and this being a holiday+OT I'll set a new record for my time at this company and be making over $50 an hour (it's opportunities like this and the fact they haven't offered me what I feel is a reasonable benefits/pay package to move up a level and go salaried).

Ruminating on it, I think the positives definitely outweigh the negatives.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    3 hours into my shift. 0% patient survival rate. Happy Thanksgiving.

• ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

Hopefully you're not working in the accelerated(urgent) care section!

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
    ICUb wrote: »

Working podiatry.

• schussschuss Registered User regular

Working podiatry.

TheStigs hero: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Liston

Famous for 300% mortality rate on a surgery, where the patient, his assistant and an onlooker all died from gangrene as they couldn't avoid his knife as he cut.

The man comes from a long line of viking warriors. He couldn't help but go into a berserker rage when he saw blood.

edited November 2021
    schuss wrote: »

Working podiatry.

Famous for 300% mortality rate on a surgery, where the patient, his assistant and an onlooker all died from gangrene as they couldn't avoid his knife as he cut.

I thought the onlooker had an apoplexy/stroke and died right then, though still counts on Liston's record.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited November 2021

Working podiatry.

Second most famous case

"Amputated the patient's leg but in his enthusiasm the testicles too."

Um...

Madican on
    Madican wrote: »

Working podiatry.

Second most famous case

"Amputated the patient's leg but in his enthusiasm the testicles too."

Um...

Some of the tools of the era were large and cumbersome, easy to make a mistake when the anatomical parts are so close together and you're focusing on speed.

Robert is also famous for designing his own tools over the course of his career, including the eponymous Liston Knife, an excellent amputation aide, most famous for being the type of knife used by Jack the Ripper in the movie and graphic novel From Hell.

~ Buckaroo Banzai