As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Thanksgiving] Time is Here Again!

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Never been the main architect of a Thanksgiving-day meal and I am completely anxiety-riden (but mostly, in the good way?) about properly pulling off all nine-courses and making them our own

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Turkey is spatchcocked and has been dry brining since 1:30. Pumpkin pie is made. Almost ready for tomorrow!

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    259595781_10159414598912752_6005407632144831922_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_rgb565=1&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=r637FWbujtwAX93xRK9&_nc_ht=scontent.ftlv2-1.fna&oh=caaf09ba7a40c9e6f912eecdcdf990a8&oe=61A3A829

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    So uh, last night, when I went to get a brine ready for the turkey breast I got delivered from the grocery store, I learned that, due to stuff being out of stock, I got delivered a whole turkey instead. And it's still for just me and my brother, so there's gonna be hella leftover poultry after tomorrow.

Still got it ready, but it was quite a thing to expect to just need to bag a turkey breast, and instead need to do some extra prep for a whole bird. I spatchcocked the thing (cut out the backbone and clean out any giblets the butcher didn't, so the thing can be opened up to lie flat) so that I can cook this thing evenly and quickly. Really don't envy the butchers when I do that stuff. But, it's prepared, and I might be able to make a good stock for gravy with that.

Instead of a stuffed turkey breast, I think I'm going to do a simple roasted turkey, over a roasting pan with sweet potatoes and onions and carrots in the bottom. From what I've heard, the turkey will cook in less than 2 hours that way.

Improvisation! That's what we love to do on Thanksgiving! But it's just me and my bro, so there's no real anxiety for the meal prep. Oh, and I was able to get it in a giant ziplock bag with a brine to prepare. The bag kinda sprung a leak, so we double-bagged it and put the whole thing in a big pot.

Enlong on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »
    If you know all 50 states I question your dedication to laziness.

oh I can give the explanation for that!

so in 5th grade I got this book from my grandmother called 'Our 50 States' which gave a bunch of pretty pictures and interesting factoids about each of the 50 states. I loved it and probably read it a hundred times. I used to know all the state mottos and state flowers too but that's long since left my noggin.

One day I'll visit them all!

Okay smartydoodle, what state bird and state capital are the same word?

Trick question, birds aren’t real.

You will see them while driving around often

Common misconception. Those are the government drones.

Sadly you didn't get the joke as there are various ways to 'flip the bird'

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Last year I cooked...a turkey, a pumpkin pie, stuffing and rolls. This year I am...making an apple pie. I wasn't demoted or anything, the food turned out really well last year, I just...don't wanna make another turkey, I don't want to make stuffing, someone else is bringing rolls, and I wanted to try making an apple pie this time. Should be much less stressful.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »
    Never been the main architect of a Thanksgiving-day meal and I am completely anxiety-riden (but mostly, in the good way?) about properly pulling off all nine-courses and making them our own

May be a little late for this year but I recommend charting and checklists out the bum

nwmnqzefinl9.png

hs71oi2uc2j7.png

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    My mom taught me that trick about tagging all the bakeware and serving dishes and let me tell you it really saves the day for me personally

Three times this week I've gone to grab a bowl to store something and said "whoops that one's tagged for cranberries on Saturday/carrot salad/etc"

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I can't help but notice you didn't schedule any pooping for almost a full week there. If you don't take time to poop, how will you have room to eat all of that food?

Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I can't help but notice you didn't schedule any pooping for almost a full week there. If you don't take time to poop, how will you have room to eat all of that food?

No no see it says "charting out the bum" right at the top

Actually re: charting what I meant is that I also have a handwritten chart of the oven dishes and what temperatures they need to cook at for how long and whether they need any time cooling or not, which is also very helpful

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Well

I woke up at 430 for some damned reason

I have so long until the mst3k marathon starts still

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »

May be a little late for this year but I recommend charting and checklists out the bum

nwmnqzefinl9.png

hs71oi2uc2j7.png

If you aren’t doing a gant chart what are you even doing?

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    can't they somehow theme it into a pie chart, really get in to the spirit of the holiday

wY6K6Jb.gif
    Oven is preheating

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Happy Thanksgiving, nerds.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    NO!

Only nerds.

>:|

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Brisket off the smoker at 6, around the right temperature and the bark looks good. I was worried it wouldn't get hot enough before the wrap due to the weather being below freezing outside overnight, but there wasn't much wind so success! Now its wrapped and finishing up in the oven. Cook little brisket cook!

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    We’re starting our Thanksgiving day off with a viewing of Fast 9

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Ahhh the Brisket Stall. C'mon lil buddy! I need you done by a certain time!

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Sat down to the thanksgiving parade a few minutes ago only to see that they have apparently made a girlboss musical about the wives of Henry viii??????

???????

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Having second helpings later on Thanksgiving day is completely different from leftovers over the long weekend thank you for coming to my TED Talk

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    CW food
    smdwdzy34bc9.jpg

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Almost time for the announcers to explain Goku!

Edit: I have discovered I am apparently watching a delayed broadcast and you have all already seen all of this

rhylith on
    My mom cut into the thigh and said there was a bunch of red so I guess it needs an extra 30 minutes despite it reaching near 200 degrees

• Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    I am watching The mst3k Turkey Day Marathon, because I'm a robot girl of culture and class

Brisket is resting in the oven at 180f. Got the cooler cleaned up and I'm going to tumble dry some towels on high to help keep the brisket warm during the drive.

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Sat down to the thanksgiving parade a few minutes ago only to see that they have apparently made a girlboss musical about the wives of Henry viii??????

???????

Six! And it's apparently very well done and the performers are outstanding, from what I've heard.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Fuck yeah, timed the lull in my dinner prep to line up perfectly with the working dog group on the dog show.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I could beat up the sun

Never talk to me or my sun ever again

BahamutZERO.gif
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    My mom cut into the thigh and said there was a bunch of red so I guess it needs an extra 30 minutes despite it reaching near 200 degrees

noooooo

edited November 2021
    It's ok. It's not too dry and we've got gravy.

I am now full

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I am watching The mst3k Turkey Day Marathon, because I'm a robot girl of culture and class

I'm watching while wearing MST3K socks, a t-shirt, and a hoodie I bought at the live show last night!

I also put my Servo and Crow on the chair so they can watch too!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

I'm watching while wearing MST3K socks, a t-shirt, and a hoodie I bought at the live show last night!

The revealed some new movies for season 13 right?

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

Yes. They will be revealing all the movie titles by the end of the Marathon. I'm not really paying attention though since I kinda want to go in blind.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

it's 150 and I'm full of appetizers!

fuck yeah Thanksgiving!

Yes. They will be revealing all the movie titles by the end of the Marathon. I'm not really paying attention though since I kinda want to go in blind.

The just revealed one
    robot wars with Barbara crampton

And earlier they showed what looked like a color sequel to Samson vs the vampire women