As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon & Love Notes out today!

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Ordered some new PC bits today after waffling about it for ages. Going from a quad core 2.6Ghz processor with 8GB DDR3 ram to a six core 4.6Ghz processor with 32GB DDR4 ram and a SSD. It's going to feel like I've taken cyber-cocaine and jacked into the matrix.

Is your old PC still on a regular HDD? if so, ye lords, the new computer is going to be like magic!

Going to an SSD is the single biggest "holy shit this thing is fast" upgrade in the world.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Ordered some new PC bits today after waffling about it for ages. Going from a quad core 2.6Ghz processor with 8GB DDR3 ram to a six core 4.6Ghz processor with 32GB DDR4 ram and a SSD. It's going to feel like I've taken cyber-cocaine and jacked into the matrix.

Is your old PC still on a regular HDD? if so, ye lords, the new computer is going to be like magic!

Going to an SSD is the single biggest "holy shit this thing is fast" upgrade in the world.

When it takes me longer to type in my password to login than it took to get through the entire boot sequence, well that's when I know I'm living in the future.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I just got woken up by a DHL call asking about granting POA for importing my new computer.

After waiting forever, I just went and used the NZXT pc builder and had them build everything for me. Not perfect, but the main parts are solid and the minor upgrades I can do myself.

Hopping from a Dell computer that was on the low-end of mid-range in 2014 to a beefy 2021 boy.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Autumn Sale?
    hw4uvi2zhplt.jpg

I hope this picture was taken from the comfort of a warm blanket

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Autumn Sale?
    hw4uvi2zhplt.jpg

The temperature has gone back up to 2C, which is practically summer again.

• Options
    Autumn Sale?
    hw4uvi2zhplt.jpg

no thanks

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Autumn Sale?
    hw4uvi2zhplt.jpg

I would rather die than live somewhere with those temps

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I'm hoping to put off a CPU/Mobo/RAM upgrade to next year, when hopefully I can put together something like a i5-12600K / DDR5 combo for less than new-to-market prices.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

BfOXcD2.gif

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

Yes, a fairly elderly HDD that I think has been ill for a while. About 20% of the time these days when I boot Windows tells me it's fixing... something.

• Options

Yes, a fairly elderly HDD that I think has been ill for a while. About 20% of the time these days when I boot Windows tells me it's fixing... something.

Oh man, I'm excited for you. That first time booting an OS from an SSD, let alone launch games...magical

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    INkLy46.jpg

FREE NOW
    Antstream - Epic Welcome Pack
    theHunter: Call of the Wild™

COMING SOON
    Dead by Daylight
    while True: learn()

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/free-games

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    is "the hunter" a real game?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    But game loading times is when I go and make cups of tea, how will I fit it into my schedule now

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

yes, it's also actually really good if realistic hunting games are your particular niche

• Options
    Does it let me hunt the most dangerous game?

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

*nods sagely* Ah yes, albatross.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

yes, it's also actually really good if realistic hunting games are your particular niche

ive never ever tried one but it sounds somewhat serene

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    But game loading times is when I go and make cups of tea, how will I fit it into my schedule now

for some reason, some games still have load times.

Even with a 2TB Samsung 980 Pro SSD and 32GB DDR4 RAM.

But on the plus side, in multiplayer game I'm usually the first in lobby

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

a housecat assuming you are a lvl1 commoner?

no

it's not as chill as fishing games, but it's a game us olds can play and not have to worry too much about reaction times

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

a housecat assuming you are a lvl1 commoner?

no

it's not as chill as fishing games, but it's a game us olds can play and not have to worry too much about reaction times

Gotta 360 noscope those fuckin feral hogs

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I have beaten Inscryption, though I feel there are so many secrets I had not uncovered.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I'm late to the best game of all time discussion, but here would probably be my top ten for considering such a title:

-- Super Mario Bros. 3 (1988; Nintendo; NES): King Koopa has kidnapped Princess Toadstool, taken over all seven kingdoms in the Mushroom World, and put his seven kids in charge of all of them. It's the Mario Brothers to the rescue.
    -- Tetris (1989; Nintendo; NES): Differently shaped forms fall down into a 2D container. The forms, which can be moved and rotated, must be sorted in "on-the-fly".
    -- Donkey Kong ‘94 (1994; Nintendo; Gameboy): Mario must save Pauline from the hands of her kidnapper, the giant gorilla Donkey Kong.
    -- Chrono Trigger (1995; Square; SNES): Crono, a young boy, is thrust to adventure by destiny to destroy an oncoming threat that will destroy the world in 1999.
    -- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998; Nintendo; N64): A young Kokiri boy discovers that his destiny is to free the Seven Sages and save the land of Hyrule from the treacherous sorcerer Ganondorf.
    -- Worms Armageddon (1999; Team17; PC): Teams of worms armed to the teeth with the most advanced weaponry (including banana bombs and exploding sheep) battle in a crazy tournament.
    -- Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn (2000; Bioware; PC): Jon Irenicus, a sadistic secretive powerful mage bent on revenge, captures Gorion's ward and his/her party for a diabolical experiment.
    -- Capcom vs SNK 2: Mark of the Millennium 2001 (2001; Capcom; Xbox): Capcom vs. SNK 2 combines characters and gameplay elements from various Capcom and SNK fighting games, mainly the Street Fighter and The King of Fighters series.
    -- Pokémon HeartGold (2009; Game Freak; DS): A young Pokémon trainer unravels mysteries in the Johto and Kanto region, battling to become the greatest Pokémon of all time.
    -- Rock Band 3 (2010; Harmonix; PS3): Simulating the experience of performing in a band, up to four players use remotes modeled after microphones, guitars, bass guitars, and drums to engage with their favorite songs.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Shadowfire wrote: »

If you want the good shit and if your board has it grab a NVME drive

It's liberating the flash drive from the SATA data cable and it's extremely awesome, and small and easy install

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Yeah that's what I'm getting. A 1TB NVME.

I currently have a 1TB HDD for my games and a 250GB HDD with Windows and everything else. I'd like to reuse one. But like I said I'm pretty sure one of them at least is knackered. Is there a way to tell for sure?

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I dropped outa school before I could tell you for real but are things are extra heat/sound or does it just crash loading files, a quick reformat after saving the things you want can tell ya if a drives dead or not if it keeps acting up afterwards it probs could do with a replacement

But if ya swap your HDDs to data storage they'll last longer, it's still a running clock but ya can prep for it

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    My issues are varied and I guess could be nothing to do with the HDD. Sometimes the PC doesn't boot properly, it powers up but nothing shows on screen, and sometimes the same thing happens after it's been asleep. Might be graphics card/driver problems, cos sometimes my display just dies for no obvious reason, but the card is pretty new and the driver I just updated so I hope not. I put a new PSU in earlier this year so it's also hopefully not a power problem. But then sometimes after a crash I'll get the "Fixing Windows" screen when booting which I always associated with HDD problems.

I also wondered if maybe it could be a motherboard issue. As presumably a dying motherboard can cause issues all over the shop.

I guess I should find out next week once I have a mostly new PC.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Yeah that's what I'm getting. A 1TB NVME.

I currently have a 1TB HDD for my games and a 250GB HDD with Windows and everything else. I'd like to reuse one. But like I said I'm pretty sure one of them at least is knackered. Is there a way to tell for sure?

You could try looking at the SMART reporting for each drive. It's an internal digital drive diagnostic to detect drive failures which is probably right there in the drive, but mostly never gets checked or surfaced unless you explicitly grab some software to look at it. It can't predict every type of failure, but it exists for essentially exactly this sort of situation, so you might as well look at it.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Try Crystal disk info, it has a quick overview over SMART information and works for hdds and ssd too.

Don't be alarmed if it shows percentage of health lower than 100% for an ssd though, that's just the reserve cells it has left, it's normal wear and tear after writing a few dozen TB

https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't obsess too much about the SSD's speed either, in practice you won't notice a difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKLA7w9eeA

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Yeah I try not to get obsessed about numbers even though it feels really important when you're choosing expensive parts and you see lots of people on the internet talking about making the numbers go a tiny bit higher. I just have to remind myself that I am not an elite level tech nerd and probably wouldn't even notice the difference and I just need to make sure all the bits go together okay. Upgrading from a Flintstones computer pretty much any modern piece of kit is going to feel like NASA built it.

Edit: Well I just had to make 4 attempts to boot my PC and when it eventually did I got "Repairing Disk Errors" so I guess that's a clue that the HDD really might be buggered.

I just looked up the expected lifespan of a HDD and Google says 5-7 years. These are just over 10 so I guess they've done ok.

Edit2: Though I just ran that crystal disk thing and it says the health of both my drives is Good, so who fecking knows

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Yeah I try not to get obsessed about numbers even though it feels really important when you're choosing expensive parts and you see lots of people on the internet talking about making the numbers go a tiny bit higher. I just have to remind myself that I am not an elite level tech nerd and probably wouldn't even notice the difference and I just need to make sure all the bits go together okay. Upgrading from a Flintstones computer pretty much any modern piece of kit is going to feel like NASA built it.

Edit: Well I just had to make 4 attempts to boot my PC and when it eventually did I got "Repairing Disk Errors" so I guess that's a clue that the HDD really might be buggered.

I just looked up the expected lifespan of a HDD and Google says 5-7 years. These are just over 10 so I guess they've done ok.

Edit2: Though I just ran that crystal disk thing and it says the health of both my drives is Good, so who fecking knows

What GPU did you go with.

I love

hardware

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I have a second empty nvme slot on my PC and I kinda want to populate it eventually but I kinda want a 2tb drive and those are super expensive still

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    I finished Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy today. I am impressed by how good this game is, even though it is definitely not doing anything new when it comes to the gameplay. Still, it serves it's purpose and is generally fun.

Where this game shines is story, visuals, music, voice acting and atmosphere - I would never expect it to focus so hard on the plot and characters, and yet it does much more than anyone would expect, making it overall a very memorable experience.

• Options
    Karl wrote: »

I love

hardware

I'm sticking with my current Radeon RX 580 for now. I only bought it last year and GPUs are stupid expensive.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

I love

hardware

I'm sticking with my current Radeon RX 580 for now. I only bought it last year and GPUs are stupid expensive.

GPU is the only thing I hated buying in my new build. Not the GPU itself, but the fact that I paid at least a 50% markup, and it was the cheapest I could find it. Stuff costs more in Australia anyway, so GPUs here are Australia expensive + current stupid prices expensive.

I don't regret it because it's a beast, but it felt like part of my soul was sucked out when I pressed 'buy'.

If I wasn't going from a laptop to a desktop and I was in a position to keep a GPU to save a bit, I absolutely would have.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ6_OMyZsoY

Ten characters in search of love gather around two neon-lit bowling alleys for some date night bowling. Choose your character, find your date, and try your best to hit it off—or at least hit some pins.

20211126 Date Night Bowling (Dating Sim Bowling Cute Pixel Graphics 2D )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDFu5p27g4E

Build, fight, farm and explore. Experience your own path. Whether it's building the home of your dreams, tending to your crops and watching the sun go down; or explore the mysteries of the Island and the darkness underneath, but you may want to take a sword with you

20211126 Len's Island (Early Access Open World Base Building Craftin)

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    For SSD life:

yt7qs5heuy1b.png

This is mine after close to 2 years (will be exactly 2 in Feb 2022). The 92% is the write life left.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    INkLy46.jpg

FREE NOW
    Antstream - Epic Welcome Pack
    theHunter: Call of the Wild™

COMING SOON
    Dead by Daylight
    while True: learn()

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/free-games

Apparently theHunter has a few large, beautiful maps and you can treat it as a walking simulator through nature. You also get a camera to take photos of the animals and scenery

Just in case anyone else, like me, needed a reason to grab an animal hunting game while it's free

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Okay, that actually makes it a lot more appealing, couldn't give a crap about hunting (unless it's... the most dangerous game).
    Crab fishing.

Glal on
This discussion has been closed.