As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Top Grand Gear Tour Thread: Diddly Squat Farm now open for Season 2

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    dporowski wrote: »
    Nosf wrote: »
    James' cooking show was excellent.

Far better is "The Reassembler". BBC4, nothing but ~30m of James May putting something fiddly back together while rambling on about it and the history thereof. Lawnmower, electric train set, stand mixer...

Yeag, there is no way ...in the world... that show should work. But it does. Brilliantly.

No, at all, absolutely. "You're saying you want to what? And people will watch what?!" NO YES WE WILL. It's one of those that baffles me as I'm watching it, but my god is it entertaining.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    So Jezza made a beer:

Now since this is being sold by Jeff to a global customer base I'm assuming it doesn't contain as much feces as a product manufactured by Jezza himself would, so might pick up a bottle or two.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Thirty-five quid for 12 bottles? Flippin' heck.

edited November 2021
    and it's sold out, or maybe not available yet.
    Well I still got James May's Chicken Egg thingy

DanHibiki on
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I'd but it for the novelty. It's only 40% more than the craft premium stuff here anyway.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    With that beer ad Clarkson now has two faces:

-normal TG/GT Clarkson face of windburn
    -Michael Gambon jr.

• HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Hydropolo wrote: »

I'd imagine that's an opinion entirely down to someone's taste.
    No. The show is objectively good. His food is down to someone’s taste.

Clarksons farm is the best solo project so far. I haven’t seen Hammonds new one yet though, but I’m excited.

It... it was a pun on the fact that it's a cooking show.

zepherin wrote: »

I'd imagine that's an opinion entirely down to someone's taste.
    No. The show is objectively good. His food is down to someone’s taste.

Clarksons farm is the best solo project so far. I haven’t seen Hammonds new one yet though, but I’m excited.

It... it was a pun on the fact that it's a cooking show.

Depends what puns you can cook up. You have to be sure they're not half-baked. After all, thyme is money.

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    "Carnage á Trois" is out today. Its not their best special, but its funny enough. A few thoughts though:

- they didn't even film it in France, but the Welsh countryside?
    - why was James wearing a towel over his head the 2 times they sat at a table and ate?
    - that hatchback race was great. I want to go to Lydden Hill with my mates and do the same. Looks like a fun afternoon.
    - they ragged a bit too much on the french me thinks and it wasn't easy to distinguish between actual facts and their sarcasm/irony/jokes some times.

Also, a few days ago the started a competition to have fans make posters for the show - and this is the winner. Utterly amazing.

TheBigEasy on
    Damn, did everything big get released this week? That's going to really mess with the early viewership numbers.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    It was fun and I laughed and the ending Trebuchet was a let down. The intern and the final race was the high point.

just watched the special with some friends, a couple that know what Grand Tour is and a couple that don't and everyone was laughing their asses off.
    Great special, RIP inters.

• SealSeal Registered User regular
    I really liked this special, but it was a let down with how underused the trebuchet was. Toss more cars!

edited December 2021
    OMFG, the music for the sequence in the back of the Citreon CX (38:28) is from Mass Effect 2's fabled DLC Lair of the Shadow Broker. (And I think it's actually cobbled together from two of the OST tracks.)

That's fucking awesome!

Incidentally, that's how far I am into it - enjoying it so far. (Also a Citroen 2CV was my first car and I agree with James, it was brilliant. Also also, when I was younger I had a family friend who had a Citroen CX, and yes, it was also superb, that suspension was amazing.)

Edit: a bit of a pang there seeing Abbie considering what happened to her obviously after this was shot. Get well soon, Abbie.

Edit edit: timely bit of the race director there (I say as an F1 fan).

Edit edit edit: that was a really good one, well done chaps.

Jazz on
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I'm not all that surprised they used Mass Effect music. Whoever picked tracks when they were on Top Gear used Halo stuff a few times, IIRC. I think there were other videogame soundtracks used as well?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    I'm not all that surprised they used Mass Effect music. Whoever picked tracks when they were on Top Gear used Halo stuff a few times, IIRC. I think there were other videogame soundtracks used as well?

I distinctly remember Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory being used once, that's such a unique one it's easy to spot.

• StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    I remember Mass Effect music being in Top Gear at least twice, too. Someone over there has good taste.

Certainly the Two Steps From Hell track that was used in ME2's launch trailer (among many, MANY other things) has turned up once or twice too.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

I specifically remember the Mjolnir Mix of the Halo theme poping up 4 or 5 times when I blew through all the available streaming episodes of Top Gear. Though that's more attributed to me being able to identify Steve Vai's playing within 2 notes, than being a huge Halo fan.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yea that special was very good.

Outside of not showing us the car thrown by the trebuchet actually hit the ground.

But there were some real good laughs.

That sucks. I never went to the actual site but I enjoyed their youtube channels and at least Wrecking Ball is going to try and keep that going. It has been a shitty few years for cars. Cash for clunkers in its various forms around the world fucked up used car prices and the chip and supply issues now have messed up prices and the aftermarket even more.

Hagerty is a good site, their Revelations car series is what the old TG docu-segments used to be.

I could never figure out what the hell Drivetribe even is.

Also while we're throwing out car review videos, I quite like Doug DeMuro and his Emo Philips energy
    https://youtu.be/_XDSGzrCG2o

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Doug the type of guy to apologize for having the right of way

I really enjoy Doug Demuro
    https://youtu.be/WVp5a38WT_0

I think this is one of my favourite vids of his

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Too bad about DriveTribe. Never really visited the site, but their YouTube channel was pretty good.

Speaking of those 3 guys, came across this recently. Pretty interesting having it laid out like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=231NmnlnR6g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk1ZVFSrnAM

A show was added to Amazon Prime (and ends this month) called Kevin Hart's Muscle Car Crew. It's Hart and his little group of comedian friends and entourage fixing their own classic cars and trying to be a legit car club, but pretty much thanks to Hart's money.

I completely forgot Hart was in a bad car wreck and broke his back a few years ago, and this is after that incident. The show itself is a little too scripted in places with that horrible new text message transition schitck and you got the other people besides Hart being cliche characters but it's a good background show so far (2 episodes in). The variety in the cars is a little weak, I'm just tired of late 60's/early 70's muscle cars that don't feel like they don't have a soul, but someone in the crew does have an old VW Beetle that gets you respek.

You're not getting the Three Musketeer treatment here with their own shows but I thought I'd mention it in the thread to give you something until Clarkson's Farm returns one day, perhaps maychance forsooth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzQPEBf9V-M

edited June 2022
    Top Gear returned tonight! Properly good episode with Flintoff, Harris, and McGuinness taking a road trip across Florida (and embracing almost every cliché along the way) in an old RV and taking in three very different local forms of motorsport.
    Donk racing, swamp buggy racing, and an oval race of old ex-police Crown Vics. Results were predictably mixed!

Top notch, gentlemen, and welcome back.

Jazz on
    WOO!!! Bim's back!
    https://youtu.be/aSUfeCeyVz0

James' aesthetic feels like he's channeling mid to late 90's Billy Conolly.

Please don't mess it up like you did in Japan, producers who wanted to get in front of the camera themselves. Let Bim be Bim.

edited June 2022
    watched new episodes of Top Gear the other night, pretty good! They finally seem to have hit their stride.

The swamp buggy stuff was great, those things look like monsters and the Crown vic race was really intense.
    Harris avoiding that collision was some top notch maneuvering.

DanHibiki on
    Bim's gabagool journey is now up on Prime. They still had the director show up in front of the camera and be a dick when I'd much rather watch a lathe under a craftsman than lol foreigner plays italian bagpipes badly lolz so relatable no cap fr fr. When will you turds realize people want to see James tune a piano or work a lathe over scripted travel stuff?

He does look classy with his coppola, he can try and be Jackie Stewart just like that one time again! Still great 4K camerawork, shave your beard and cut your hair you hippy.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I've been watching James May's "Our Man in Italy" series. Feels like a good follow up to Japan. I'd like more Clarkson's farm as well.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    I'm torn on more Clarkson's Farm. It was great, but part of why it was great was a whole lot of things coming to a head at once. I'm afraid another season would just be more 'Jezza sucks as a farmer' which would be funny sure, but I'm not sure it enough for another season.

• HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »

I don't know why, but it feels which each of these that the age thing is becoming more and more of a factor for them, which is too bad.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Oh they definitely are playing into them getting old. I just hope they keep those jokes in moderation and they don't become a major part of the shtick. A couple of jokes per episode/series is more than enough.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    Oh they definitely are playing into them getting old. I just hope they keep those jokes in moderation and they don't become a major part of the shtick. A couple of jokes per episode/series is more than enough.

I'll say out of all of them, May's leaned into it the best. Maybe its because he's always been old, even when he was 30.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    The thing is, if I am even half as spry and physically capable as they are at their age, I will be ecstatic.

Like they have done shit with their old man bodies that would fucking kill me at 39.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I've been watching James May's "Our Man in Italy" series. Feels like a good follow up to Japan. I'd like more Clarkson's farm as well.

James May traveling has become me and my GFs favorite thing thats come out of top gear. These have all been fantastic and I really hope they keep this series going.

webguy20 wrote: »

James May traveling has become me and my GFs favorite thing thats come out of top gear. These have all been fantastic and I really hope they keep this series going.

That last one though showed a lot of issues with the pre planning for the show. James could really use a better director and scout.