As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TV] Thready Ready

DrezDrez Registered User regular
edited April 2022 in Social Entropy++
Is someone working on a thread? If not, please use me as much as you like.

---

OK, I'm deeply disturbed by something in Scrubs - Season 4, Episode 16. "My Quarantine."

Halfway through the episode, the Janitor makes a $5 wager with Chief Medical Officer Doctor Robert Kelso. The wager is whether or not the Janitor can repeat a feat of astounding accuracy (catapulting a cotton ball into a distant empty jar, which the Janitor had already done once successfully). Upon failing to repeat the performance, the Janitor says "double or nothing" and Chief Medical Officer Doctor Robert Kelso assents.

Some time later, another character - The Todd - tells Chief Medical Officer Doctor Robert Kelso that he is "up $600." Later, the Janitor makes a non-sequitur, asking others to give him $700. Later still, the Janitor states to Chief Medical Officer Doctor Robert Kelso that he does not have $700.

Here is the conundrum: Based on the assumption that the Janitor has failed each offscreen attempt at replicating his original feat of accuracy, how could he possibly arrive at either $600 or $700 in debt, considering the terms of the repeated wager was "double or nothing"? Failing the $5 wager, the next would be $10. Then $20. Then $40. Then $80. Then $160. Then $320. Then $640. Then $1,280. At no point can the Janitor's debt ever hit an even $600. Additionally, after failing the $600 bet as the episode implies, the next wager would have been for $1,200 even in that mathematically flawed scenario.

So, what is meant by all this? This question has troubled me for decades. Literal decades.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
DJ Eebs on

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Presumably at some point during the betting process they got lazy with the math and went "Okay it was 80, that was two bets ago, carry the two... Eh let's say 700"

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Well, dammit. I have watched the Hawkeye and it is good.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I'm excited for the Chucky season finale next week

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    Chief Medical Officer Doctor Robert Kelso owed the Janitor $40 from a previous bet.

The Janitor has $580 on him.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The movie for MST3K Live is called Making Contact. We are at intermission and this movie is horrible so this thing is hilarious.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    The new season of Saved by the Bell is pretty solid, though I don't love the running gag where someone goes, "well, that's ableist!" after someone says something innocuous, especially when the way they address a lot of "very special episode" sorts of topics is much more well judged.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Okay. MST3K live was really good. During intermission we were standing up near the orchestra pit stretching our legs and some old lady came up to ask us what MST was. She saw our VIP badges and figured we’d know. Boy did she pick the right people. Not sure how she decided to come to the show without knowing what it was, but she was very well informed when she left.

That movie was fucking horrible with zero redeeming qualities. Good Lord. It made me retroactively like Independence Day less. What were you thinking Roland Emmerich!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    The one thought running through my head during the first episode of Hawkeye:

I really miss the stunt/fight coordinators from Netflix Daredevil

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I thought there was 3 seasons of Lower Decks on streaming, not 2. Heckuva cliffhanger, damnit.

Two thumbs up, for real.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »

For me it was is this Jack guy the final form of Paul F. Tompkins.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    finished the second season of saved by the bell today! it was pretty good, imo, spent a decent amount of time trying to figure out who one of the new characters was played by until I realized she was gert on runaways

• ChallChall Registered User regular
    Macro9 wrote: »

For me it was is this Jack guy the final form of Matt Berry.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Chall wrote: »
    Macro9 wrote: »

For me it was is this Jack guy the final form of Matt Berry.

Damn. That would've been good casting.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    One of my favorite things that happen in Taskmaster is when Alex says what the next task viewed will be, and you can see a contestant's face as they remember what task that was and their performance.

steam_sig.png
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

---

OK, I'm deeply disturbed by something in Scrubs - Season 4, Episode 16. "My Quarantine."

Halfway through the episode, the Janitor makes a $5 wager with Chief Medical Officer Doctor Robert Kelso. The wager is whether or not the Janitor can repeat a feat of astounding accuracy (catapulting a cotton ball into a distant empty jar, which the Janitor had already done once successfully). Upon failing to repeat the performance, the Janitor says "double or nothing" and Chief Medical Officer Doctor Robert Kelso assents.

Some time later, another character - The Todd - tells Chief Medical Officer Doctor Robert Kelso that he is "up $600." Later, the Janitor makes a non-sequitur, asking others to give him $700. Later still, the Janitor states to Chief Medical Officer Doctor Robert Kelso that he does not have $700.

Here is the conundrum: Based on the assumption that the Janitor has failed each offscreen attempt at replicating his original feat of accuracy, how could he possibly arrive at either $600 or $700 in debt, considering the terms of the repeated wager was "double or nothing"? Failing the $5 wager, the next would be $10. Then $20. Then $40. Then $80. Then $160. Then $320. Then $640. Then $1,280. At no point can the Janitor's debt ever hit an even $600. Additionally, after failing the $600 bet as the episode implies, the next wager would have been for $1,200 even in that mathematically flawed scenario.

So, what is meant by all this? This question has troubled me for decades. Literal decades.

The solution is very simple

Comedy writers are bad at math

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    that shit never would have happened on Futurama

Wife and I have been watching Taskmaster, pretty much the perfect unwind-at-the-end-of-the-day show, y'all were right.

Got into season 3 last night and I would both kill and die for Paul Chowdhry

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    what I find most impressive about paul chowdhry is that he looks like that and still feels the need to make people laugh

if I were that hot I'd be the dumbest and most vacuous person you've ever met, instead of just the dumbest

Shorty on
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    The bastard's crying, innit?

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

---

The solution is very simple

Comedy writers are bad at math

It's not a comedy, at least not intentionally, but this made me think of some of the writing for La Brea that was driving me crazy.

The basic conceit of the show is that a massive sinkhole swallows everything around the La Brea tar pits in LA. And everything that falls through that sinkhole goes through a weird glowing green light thousands of feet down and end up in surprisingly good shape in a strange place, leading to 30 or so people trying to figure out what happened, where they are, how to survive and all that fun stuff. Significantly more mystery and shenanigans get layered on top of that, and it ends up being like Lost if it was written by the writers room for Zoo.

Among the people who fall through you have a mom and her high school aged son, a surgeon who used to be a Navy Seal and his pre-med college aged daughter, a psychiatrist, a cop, a stoner grad student who did research at the tar pits and a bunch of others. Also a city bus, and ambulance, parts of some buildings, and a bunch of cars that don't work including one with a trunk full of heroin with an unknown owner. Drama! Now, the writers seem to have realized that maybe a Navy Seal surgeon is too much of a superman for this group so they immediately sideline him by having him fall of a cliff while being chased by a sabertooth tiger (mystery and shenanigans!), hurting his back pretty badly. When the others find him and bring him back to camp he tells them he needs a procedure done on his lower back to avoid being paralyzed permanently.

And he immediately declares that his daughter, the pre-med college student, is the only person qualified to perform the procedure. I think this is about when we find out that she actually ditched the pre-med track last semester but never told her dad (more drama!), but that's not the part that kills me. What kills me is that they have a psychiatrist there. Who would have done all of the same 4 years of med school that any other doctor has done, and actually spent time in operating rooms and assisting with procedures and all of the other helpful things that a pre-med would have no exposure to at all. But as far as the show is concerned he's just a therapist, and pre-med girl is the only person besides superman with any medical training and in future episodes continues to be the back-up doctor (as they continue to realize that Seal surgeon is too much and find more ways to sideline him).

Anyway, this show is deeply stupid with some really frustrating writing at times and I think I kind of love it.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    does La Brea takes place in the same universe as the Land of the Lost

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    @Ketar, a few weeks ago I watched the pilot of La Brea and at the reveal of the surgeon being a former Navy SEAL I causally let out, "Oh fuck off..." at my TV screen.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    There was a little twist an episode or two back in La Brea that made me cackle like a lunatic. Its so dumb and I love it.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    does La Brea takes place in the same universe as the Land of the Lost

I had exactly the same thought reading the summary.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    There was a little twist an episode or two back in La Brea that made me cackle like a lunatic. Its so dumb and I love it.

Other people watching, please catch up. This twist is so fucking dumb/amazing. It's one of the few I've run into that both makes perfect sense and is stupid as fuck.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Where can I stream Taskmaster?

Where can I stream Taskmaster?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4YhsooE5xY

uyvfOQy.png
    As I understand it, and this is secondhand, but La Brea was pitched and developed under the name "Sinkhole"

I am told that the show started out as a bit, as an almost sarcastic riff on post-Lost broadcast genre, and then the bit sort of got away from them as people kept taking it seriously and giving them money

The stoner has referenced Lost multiple times, and I've spotted a bunch of homages/theft so far, and I only watched one season of Lost. There's probably way more. I could totally see the writers doing this as parody and everyone after that taking it entirely seriously.

uyvfOQy.png

That headline has big 'it's not for you' energy. Been a while.

uyvfOQy.png
  • AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    The Shrink Next Door is one of the scariest tv shows I have ever seen. Fucking holy fucking shit.

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Reynolds wrote: »

It's not supposed to be good
    /ignores fact that the anime js classic because it is very good

And after reading the summation basically is some sort of nihilistic "everything sucks why try " which is the sort of the vibe that I get from modern vice articles

Bloods End on
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Absalon wrote: »
    The Shrink Next Door is one of the scariest tv shows I have ever seen. Fucking holy fucking shit.

That show gets my wife screaming-at-the-tv mad.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    @Ketar, a few weeks ago I watched the pilot of La Brea and at the reveal of the surgeon being a former Navy SEAL I causally let out, "Oh fuck off..." at my TV screen.

Oh so its a Resident evil game?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »

Perhaps I am just built different, but I would instead make shows that ARE intended to be good...

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Found all of Taskmaster so I’m starting it

Alright, this is fantastic

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I don't care what anyone says... I am loving this live action version of CBB. :)

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    Tree Wizard!

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Tree Wizard!

The balloon popping that clearly went much more poorly than anticipated was so fucking funny.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
This discussion has been closed.