As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV]: Endwalker! Game sales resume Jan. 25th. USE SPOILER TAGS.

• NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Neveron wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    Don’t read, Madican:
    I still don’t really get how Elidibus was able to use Ardbert’s body. The crew killed themselves to travel to the Source in spirit form. And then 100-odd years passed in Norvrandt between then and the events of Shadowbringers. Unless someone thought to preserve the bodies in some stable location for all that time, you’d think Ardbert’s body would be dust and/or bones by now.

Maybe the Ascians set something up with them as a plan B, even though they were planning an immediate Rejoining at the time.
    presumably elidibus kept his body in storage from when he first made the deal with them to send their souls to the source, not sure why the other warriors' bodies were out and about as sin eaters though, maybe he didn't bother keeping theirs. Remember they were just souls, like the Scions other than the WoL are on the First, both on the Source and once they came back.
    All of them were buried in Kholusia a hundred years ago, IIRC.

As for why they're preserved, I have to assume that it's a Sin Eater/Ascian thing.
    Also I might be misremembering, but I think in the scene where Emet-Selch goads Varis into shooting him he mentions that the Ascians can mold the bodies they take? He was just using the clones because they were convenient. Like a takeout meal instead of making dinner yourself!

So I guess Elidibus could have snatched a random body and molded it to look like Ardbert.
    The Ascians can just mold the bodies into whatever, yes. Lahabrea didn't care for it, hence why Thancred's still Thancred, but Emet Selch just bodyhorror'd some random civilian on the First into looking like a young Solus zos Galvus.

In this case they're pretty clear that Elidibus exhumed Ardbert and possessed his corpse, though. Maybe he used magic to fix up the body a bit or something, I guess, or maybe it's just the world being aspected towards light and thus decay is slowed or whatever.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Don’t read, Madican:
    I still don’t really get how Elidibus was able to use Ardbert’s body. The crew killed themselves to travel to the Source in spirit form. And then 100-odd years passed in Norvrandt between then and the events of Shadowbringers. Unless someone thought to preserve the bodies in some stable location for all that time, you’d think Ardbert’s body would be dust and/or bones by now.

Maybe the Ascians set something up with them as a plan B, even though they were planning an immediate Rejoining at the time.
    presumably elidibus kept his body in storage from when he first made the deal with them to send their souls to the source, not sure why the other warriors' bodies were out and about as sin eaters though, maybe he didn't bother keeping theirs. Remember they were just souls, like the Scions other than the WoL are on the First, both on the Source and once they came back.

As for why they're preserved, I have to assume that it's a Sin Eater/Ascian thing.
    Also I might be misremembering, but I think in the scene where Emet-Selch goads Varis into shooting him he mentions that the Ascians can mold the bodies they take? He was just using the clones because they were convenient. Like a takeout meal instead of making dinner yourself!

So I guess Elidibus could have snatched a random body and molded it to look like Ardbert.
    The Ascians can just mold the bodies into whatever, yes. Lahabrea didn't care for it, hence why Thancred's still Thancred, but Emet Selch just bodyhorror'd some random civilian on the First into looking like a young Solus zos Galvus.

In this case they're pretty clear that Elidibus exhumed Ardbert and possessed his corpse, though. Maybe he used magic to fix up the body a bit or something, I guess, or maybe it's just the world being aspected towards light and thus decay is slowed or whatever.
    Actually, Emet-Selch went the Palpy route and had a secret Garlean project to supply him with vessels. Which isn't really better.

And we know that Elidibus can fix up corpses to serve as vessels, as he did this with Zenos (before getting evicted by the original occupant.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Don’t read, Madican:

Actually, Emet-Selch went the Palpy route and had a secret Garlean project to supply him with vessels. Which isn't really better.

And we know that Elidibus can fix up corpses to serve as vessels, as he did this with Zenos (before getting evicted by the original occupant.)
    The Solus clones were actually a Varis project, but the one on the First wasn't a clone. (The Ascians seem to leave their bodies to travel between worlds.)

From the optional dialogue when entering Rak'tika:
    >> Choice 1: Why choose this form here in the first?
    Emet-Selch: Well, well, what a curious question.
    Emet-Selch: Mortal flesh is but the vessel into which we Ascians pour the elixir of our souls, molding it as fits the occasion. Or not, if we so choose.
    Emet-Selch: Be it for a year or a millennium, I prefer to retain the same form until my duty is done. So, after arriving here in the First, I fashioned some hapless body into the man you see before you.
    Emet-Selch: Though as your friend over there can attest, there are those of us who forgo such alterations.
    Emet-Selch: He was ever the rash one, Lahabrea. Jumping from vessel to vessel. Never heeding the toll it took on him.

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Don’t read, Madican:

The Solus clones were actually a Varis project, but the one on the First wasn't a clone. (The Ascians seem to leave their bodies to travel between worlds.)

From the optional dialogue when entering Rak'tika:
    >> Choice 1: Why choose this form here in the first?
    Emet-Selch: Well, well, what a curious question.
    Emet-Selch: Mortal flesh is but the vessel into which we Ascians pour the elixir of our souls, molding it as fits the occasion. Or not, if we so choose.
    Emet-Selch: Be it for a year or a millennium, I prefer to retain the same form until my duty is done. So, after arriving here in the First, I fashioned some hapless body into the man you see before you.
    Emet-Selch: Though as your friend over there can attest, there are those of us who forgo such alterations.
    Emet-Selch: He was ever the rash one, Lahabrea. Jumping from vessel to vessel. Never heeding the toll it took on him.
    Oh I hadn't seen that dialogue on my playthrough, that's really interesting! And horrifying!

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Crafting grind continues. In order to not clutter up my already overflowing armoury chest with several gear sets, I'm leveling everything up at once. Current goal is level 53, then it's time for a new crafter gear set.

kkjzy7gbvz14.png

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Hahaha and I see you also couldn't help yourself from filling those desynth bars. You would have hated the old system, where you had like ~600 points to dispense between different DoHs and you could never fill all the bars on one character.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    They could probably stand to make desynthing a LOT better than it currently is

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    I have desynthed tens of thousands of poetics worth of shields and I'm still at like 430

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    I have desynthed tens of thousands of poetics worth of shields and I'm still at like 430

Honestly, it’s better to just power level them with simple crafted items. You can then use the desynthed items to make more items. Be sure to use Tinker’s Calm and Bacon Broth. You can get most of your skills to 450 pretty quickly this way.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    I noticed a while ago that I stopped getting increases to desynth from level 70 items. Which is why I started rolling greed in level 80 raids again.

Generally speaking you get desynth levels until you're... thirty levels above the item's ilvl? Sixty? Recommendations tend to be twenty levels IIRC, since that's still a noticeable amount at that point rather than +0.03.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    I was like, oh man, if I just get this one chest piece I could have a pretty cool glamour for sage heading into endwalker. How hard can it be it's just one piece of blue armor??

2 days of running the same dungeon later and still no armor piece...

The glam hunting life is pitiless

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    It is nice that at least with leveling dungeons if you just keep all the pieces for your job/role you will eventually collect every item that class/role can use because of the end of dungeon gear drop. Too bad the level 50/60/70/80 dungeons don't also do that.

Seg on
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    They really should.

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/66c7bfdd3769a795c105e7068671862c1558f95d

server downtime for patching in endwalker is planned for 24 hours, which is honestly shorter than I was expecting

3 days of The Burn later and I finally got my outfit mostly done.

ymvh1dwnvhah.jpg

Tacticool healers amuse me

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

So it turns out that upcoming Platinum/Square Enix GaaS venture Babylon's Fall uses armor and emotes pulled from XIV, mainly in the early game, to save on development time/costs.
    The game's producer, Yosuke Saito, and Yoshi-P put out statements about it: https://hanging-garden.babylonsfall.com/news/pages/619b1a8026e03507589623

I think that chest piece is from ivalice, so this would be the third game it's used in

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Eh, hard to complain about reusing generic assets like that.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/66c7bfdd3769a795c105e7068671862c1558f95d

server downtime for patching in endwalker is planned for 24 hours, which is honestly shorter than I was expecting

24 hours is the normal amount of time. Even if it doesn’t take as long, they likely won’t bring up the servers early either

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Eh, hard to complain about reusing generic assets like that.

Especially for early and mid game stuff you'll end up replacing.

That's just working smart imo.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yeah sharing common assets between projects is NBD
    there are a bunch of monster models they reused from FF12 or FF13 in 14 I think

BahamutZERO.gif
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    TONS from ff11

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    TONS from ff11

Oh sure. Then you can spend your time on making another completely different Shiva design instead. (I swear, no other summon gets a totally new look each game)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    On that note, I continued on some Eden stuff tonight. Ramuh has been working out.
    There also appears to have been a horse involved.

• Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    I think there's a difference in how that feels to a consumer though. Reusing assets within a series can feel like an homage. Oh! I remember this enemy from FFXI! Neat! Using them for a separate project gives the impression that the game is having a problem finding it's own identity.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    All it makes me think of is that there are always a ton of assets that need to be made, especially for big games, so do whatever you need to tackle that mountain of work.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Reading the statements by Saito and Yoshi-P I'm just left thinking "hell yeah why not, this is just working smart and I love seeing devs helping each other out like this"

so yeah seems fine to me

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    not making teams waste dev time making Bespoke Dirt Textures or a fully unique Level 5 Vest of Sucking Shit is a crime against gamers

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    On that note, I continued on some Eden stuff tonight. Ramuh has been working out.
    There also appears to have been a horse involved.

obnoxious post in case you didn't notice
    the back half is ixion from FFX (and a fate that appears in The Lochs)!

liEt3nH.png
    I'm running Skalla 15 times for the last leg of my relic weapon and trying to grab all the armor sets to use on my squadron. I think I will maybe only unlock half the visible items if I'm lucky. Probably need to run it unsynced solo when I'm level 90.

getting full sets, let alone all the full sets, from any of the 50/60/70/80 dungeons is a terrible pain in the ass since it doesn't give you a free piece for your current job that you don't already own at the end, unlike the leveling dungeons

BahamutZERO.gif
    getting full sets, let alone all the full sets, from any of the 50/60/70/80 dungeons is a terrible pain in the ass since it doesn't give you a free piece for your current job that you don't already own at the end, unlike the leveling dungeons

Still hoping they'll change that soon. Otherwise it's just a grind with more bragging rights at the end I guess.

I ended up spending most of thanksgiving playing Hildy quests. I keep intending to wrap up the post-SB content and then getting distracted by glamour and side quests and trials and raids... So friggin much to do in this game!

At this rate im gonna end up having to last minute cram to make it to endwalker when it launches.

I still remember repeatedly running Castrum Abania trying to get the Scholar weapon.

I ran it enough times to get every piece of equipment as the guaranteed "leveling" drop. Only to realize that weapons are excluded from that feature.

I never got the weapon. I eventually got a reskin of it from Dohn Mheg.

I didn't actually know weapons were excluded from that, huh

BahamutZERO.gif
    I'm pretty sure I have gotten a weapon from it

I got every piece of the armor set, then ran it again expecting to see the weapon. And nope. The weapon is just a random drop, like anything.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Shadowbringers, about to do Qitana Ravel (Rak'tika Greatwood)
    Does Ran'jit ever get interesting or is he just boring the whole time. He's like a somehow less interesting version of Zenos
    Also, why would I literally ever trust Emet-Selch, just let me kill him every time he enters a scene

This discussion has been closed.