As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Streaming Services]: Thread not available, price also increased

• GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »
    North Korea is nuts.

And Radio Free Asia is an American propaganda outlet.

It's still believable. A quick google search confirms there's a law in North Korea since 2020 that carries a five year sentence for watching forbidden TV shows.
    People who directly watch or keep South Korean movies, videos, books, songs, pictures, photos, etc., will be sentenced to between five and 15 years in prison, while those who cause the influx or dissemination of such content will be sentenced to life imprisonment or death.

The part that is super fishy is the fact that they only mention Squid Game. There is, evidently, a good market in North Korea for South Korean dramas in general. It seems extremely implausible to me that he would be busted with just the one show.

Maybe it's part of it bleeds it leads. If he was carrying both seasons of stranger both seasons of the kingdom and that little special movie they did plus like 36 other shows maybe they wouldn't mention it because it isn't as popular.

• GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    Speaking of which I'd really like another season of Kingdom.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    North Korea is nuts.

It's still believable. A quick google search confirms there's a law in North Korea since 2020 that carries a five year sentence for watching forbidden TV shows.
    People who directly watch or keep South Korean movies, videos, books, songs, pictures, photos, etc., will be sentenced to between five and 15 years in prison, while those who cause the influx or dissemination of such content will be sentenced to life imprisonment or death.

The part that is super fishy is the fact that they only mention Squid Game. There is, evidently, a good market in North Korea for South Korean dramas in general. It seems extremely implausible to me that he would be busted with just the one show.

North Korea's borders were locked down tighter than usual due to COVID and I presume the law was hastily written to squash demand for those same smuggled goods. If it's reported he has a bunch of smuggled goods, that reflects poorly on The State. So they are only executing the smuggler for Squid Game.

emnmnme on
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    North Korea is nuts.

I don't know anything about this particular case, but it's not at all implausible in general. North Korea regularly cracks down on any cultural imports, and they have no qualms about making examples out of randos. I'd call it extrajudicial examples but that sorta assumes a meaningful judicial framework in the first place, which NK doesn't have. They're especially sensitive about South Korean imports, and it wouldn't be out of the norm for them to crack down especially hard on the New Hotness. Especially in a case like this where someone was "corrupting" schoolkids directly.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Faye is more realistic. She is actually wearing clothes that a bounty hunter would wear.

So like...?

l85dwqgpxsvo.jpg

uyvfOQy.png
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    So the other day I accidentally sat on a PS5 controller and it somehow downloaded AppleTV. Which I refused to subscribe to out of spite. Yesterday I again accidentally sat on a controller and it launched AppleTV and I noticed that buying a PS5 apparently gets me 5 free months of AppleTV, so I'm like FINE IF MY BUTT WANTS TO WATCH IT THIS BADLY I'LL FUCKING WATCH IT.

Well, Apple apparently wants to make it as hard to use their system is possible, because I had to log in with an Apple ID and then activate it on a different device and then create an iTunes account on a third device and fucking 45 minutes later I finally got to look at their goddamn shows.

Anyway, Ted Lasso is a wonderful and charming show that is almost worth the whole ordeal, but more importantly, fuck Apple to death.

My wife and I watched Tehran on Apple TV, which was a pretty decent spy show.

I tried to get her to watch Ted Lasso and she didn't like it. I suspect my wife may not have joy in her heart.

She married you, so this checks out. =p

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    North Korea is nuts.

I don't know anything about this particular case, but it's not at all implausible in general. North Korea regularly cracks down on any cultural imports, and they have no qualms about making examples out of randos. I'd call it extrajudicial examples but that sorta assumes a meaningful judicial framework in the first place, which NK doesn't have. They're especially sensitive about South Korean imports, and it wouldn't be out of the norm for them to crack down especially hard on the New Hotness. Especially in a case like this where someone was "corrupting" schoolkids directly.

I think you misunderstand. That they would go as far as to execute someone for distributing South Korean TV shows is indisputable fact. Defectors have confirmed this. It is implausible to me he would only have Squid Game as opposed to Squid Game and a bunch of other TV shows to sell.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    My roommate was very interested in dissecting live action Faye's outfit after seeing anime Faye's (lack of) costume on the anime's splash page. She appreciated that it was sexy without being utterly ridiculous ecchi-wear like in the anime.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I am watching the Pierrot Le Fou episode. Getting to the big showdown.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Watched the first few episodes of Cowboy Bebop. Damn, this is really terrible much of the time. Sometimes it manages to reach towering heights of completely mediocre. There are brief moments of good... which are, thus far, moments ripped carbon-copy from shots from the original anime.

Two things that are actually great: Jet's actor and the music. The rest of this is just... butt-grade ass. The fuck are they changing up all these backstories for? Because they sure as hell aren't improvements. Faye is terrible, there's nothing clever or deceptive or manipulative about this character at all; they took all of her cunning and just made her a dumb over-aggressive bounty hunter. Vicious is fucking awful. Julia is awful. They're making a total fucking trainwreck out of the story, completely stripping out any of the awesome buildup for any of the characters. For fuck's sake, we don't get past the first episode without locking Spike down as ex-Syndicate. Virtually nothing about Spike is Spike other than his outfit. He's murdering dudes left and right without blinking, is constantly just shooting people in cold blood, and there's a massive gulf between the actual Spike's boredom when not thrill-chasing and this Spike being a straight-up out-and-out idiotic asshole who can't be bothered with... anything. Original Spike was fun and endearing with sharp edges and strong opinions about what was worth his time, but he was a lot more than just a plain belligerent asshole.

And just as a show, the dialogue is wretched. The cinematography is frequently terrible. The whole thing looks and feels tremendously like a bad, but pricey, South Korean series, with everything somehow looking perfect, overdone, and painfully sterile all at once. I get more "amateur Youtube series" feel from this than anything like an actual high-cost professional production.

It's kinda blowing my mind that the animated version feels more "real" than this junky, janky live-action version. Jet's actor knows what his character is about, but otherwise the only thing linking this to the original is the spaceship designs. Throw those out and change some names, and the series wouldn't even be recognizable as Cowboy Bebop.

• RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    Maybe judge it on its own merit?

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Raynaga wrote: »
    Wretched dialogue and frequently terrible cinematography sounds like judging it on its own merits.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Yeah, it seems clear that people who are massively fans of a thing do themselves no favors when it comes to adaptations. See it in the WoT thread, saw it in the GoT thread, and been watching it happen since Peter Jackson did LotR.

I don't think it's a great show, but I think it hits enough right notes to be entertaining enough for those who don't have an emotional attachment to the source.

I did try watching the anime, and I'll be honest, after a couple eps, I didn't like it. I'm not generally opposed to animation as a visual medium, but Japanese/Korean anime just doesn't connect with me like it clearly does other people. Tried Attack on Titan, and several others over the years, but there's something about the art, or the voice acting (even when not watching the dubs*), that makes things fall flat.
    * Yeah, I know some purists are all "subs over dubs", but if I'm not hearing emotion in people's voice, I'd almost rather read it as a graphic novel.

Just appreciate the version you do like, and don't fret over the version you don't.

• RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    Wretched dialogue and frequently terrible cinematography sounds like judging it on its own merits.

Outside the Julia/Vicious scenes the dialogue is fine. I'm only about halfway through, to be fair, but when 3/4 of a post is saying its different than the original and therefor bad then no, it is not judging it on its own.

Not saying its perfect, but all the its worthless trash takes are way overstating things.

• KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    edited November 2021

Outside the Julia/Vicious scenes the dialogue is fine.
    I'm only about halfway through, to be fair, but when 3/4 of a post is saying its different than the original and therefor bad then no, it is not judging it on its own.

Not saying its perfect, but all the its worthless trash takes are way overstating things.

Don't make me post the video again! There's definitely a ton of bad dialogue that gets fed to everyone, though it's true that it isn't as consistently bad across the board as it is for Vicious/Julia.

I think it's fair to raise some of the comparisons to the source material as a reflection on the adaptation itself. It's a helpful way to evaluate some of the choices they made in this series. Even without that though, I still think it works out to being a very, very flawed show - it's just less of a tragic shame because we'd have no idea what could have easily been. Who knows though, maybe if you could actually remove the experience of the source material from your brain, the music still kicks ass, what's there of the worldbuilding is interesting enough, and there's adequate appeal left in the characters for a half-decent show to remain?

I don't personally think so. The show would still have a lot of problems, and there'd be no residual good will for the characters from having known how great they could be from the anime. The story overall doesn't really get there by itself in these episodes. I don't think they do enough right in this season alone with any of the cast - except maybe Jet? - to make the show anything approaching special. The action wouldn't quite do it, there's maybe one fight scene in the entire season that was pretty good - there are individual episodes of Daredevil or something that have better action than the entire first season of live Bebop.

Oh well. It's not a blight upon the world or anything, I just think it's just a shame and a missed opportunity, is all. At least The Expanse is around the corner!

Kasyn on
  • madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    There is a slice of life animoo comedy called The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated that is up on Crunchyroll. It is The Devil Is a Part Timer/Umaru-chan/Kobayashi's Dragon Maid all mixed together; Jahy is the second in command of the demon realm and is defeated by a magical girl, the crystal which powered the dark world is destroyed, and a weakened Jahy finds herself depowered and in chibi form in tokyo trying to scrap by working at a pub. Just dumb fun where the powerful protagonist learns humility. The lead voice is the same one from Uzaki Chan Wants to Hang out (much better here for Jahy), and even Mio from K-on is here as the landlord.

Just good dumb fun and you see how the manga was meme popular for a bit a year ago. First episode is free here, this is smart on Crunchyroll's part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypaW4f4NdUQ

Deja Q the series!

• madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    North Korea is nuts.

NK might have more than the usual axe to grind with Squid Game

minor non-plot spoiler
    There is a major character who is a NK defector and has a tragic backstory to go with it, all about death and misery in NK.

Don't know how often things like that are portrayed in SK but if it's unusual then it might have been what put it on their radar.

madparrot on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    4 episodes in my thoughts on the live-action Cowboy Bebop so far are that the parts where it's Spike and Jet are good and the parts where Vicious is involved are bad.

I actually really like Cho in this. Shakir was a bit shaky in the first episode but his delivery seems to be settling in as the show goes on. Pineda hasn't been around enough yet to make a call on. Same with Satine as Julia but she hasn't impressed so far. Hassell as Vicious is not good. Part of it is the writing and part of it is the acting. It's just a really weird character. Charlie and Harry are dogs and thus 10/10.

It's not the original, it's got a different feel to it, but the style feels cohesive and entertaining and very deliberately stylized and it works.

If the Vicious/Julia stuff doesn't drag this fucker into the dirt it'll be good.

shryke on
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    North Korea is nuts.

I think you misunderstand. That they would go as far as to execute someone for distributing South Korean TV shows is indisputable fact. Defectors have confirmed this. It is implausible to me he would only have Squid Game as opposed to Squid Game and a bunch of other TV shows to sell.

Or he only got caught holding Squid Games, and somewhere nearby there's a buried box filled with romantic comedies and shows about cute girls who can see ghosts.

• NebulousQNebulousQ Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    If the Vicious/Julia stuff doesn't drag this fucked into the dirt it'll be good.
    Sad to say, don't get your hopes up regarding this

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I finally finished Arcane and it was actually really really good. The first episodes were a little slow but it does ramp up quite well.

I wish I could say it made me excited to play League of Legends but, lol no.

I am looking forward to a second season, though.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I wish I could say it made me excited to play League of Legends but, lol no.

2db17e65126e8e6a8c8249a7459be030.jpg

edited November 2021
    Pierre episode of live Bebop.
    Viscious finally took over the Syndicate. That fight showed how dangerous he is. The added stinger that he killed his own father was great. The Pierre La Fou fight was not as cool as the anime, but it was good.

Krathoon on
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Watched three episodes of Apple's Invasion.

I recommend it to anyone suffering from insomnia, this shit will knock you right the fuck out.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    There was a Netflix documentary up called Untold Crimes and Penalties watched for after dinner bring down, it was pretty good if a little too fake in adding ADR to real footage. It was a documentary mainly about a well respected member of the tri-state area's waste disposal services purchasing a minor league hockey team for his 17 year old son to run and how it became the WWF Attitude era mixed with Slap Shot hockey, Little Big League meets Mighty Ducks 2/The Bash Brothers. There's quite a bit of posturing by some of the people interviewed who want to continue the lie that there is a thing called the mafia, and a gabagool on their houses for such a fugazzi thing, stop hurting productive members of the community. It's about an hour long, and outside of trying to play up Connecticut of all states as some kind of working class state it's pretty solid when you recognize the puffery in the interviews.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Watched three episodes of Apple's Invasion.

I recommend it to anyone suffering from insomnia, this shit will knock you right the fuck out.

This doesn't surprise me because the trailers when they weren't really stereotypical were fucking snoozey and I love Sam Neil.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I don't like what they did with the Gren character in live Bebop. They took it in the wrong direction.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I don't like what they did with the Gren character in live Bebop. They took it in the wrong direction.

Was there a good direction?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.

They should have stuck with the original story. They made Gren a right hand man instead.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Tried so hard to power through the entire live-action Cowboy Bebop, but I can't. It's just too shitty a show on almost every level.

The dialogue is so fucking bad, and it's made even more apparent by the fact that damn near every line is a character cussing about something or making some obscene reference. There's nothing at all natural to it, it all sounds horribly phony and forced like they're all trying to out-badass each other. This whole world feels forced and phony as a result because all the dialogue is like this. Spike and Jet barely have banter, they just constantly bicker and they aren't even good at it. Spike is way the hell off his character and not an interesting way in the slightest; he spends most of his time being a largely clueless moron. Faye isn't even remotely her character and is apparently just in constant murder mode. All the clever well-done and thought-out subtlety is gone from the original; for anything that happens, we have to be aggressively, loudly told what is happening and why. There's zero chance for the viewer to make the interesting connections themselves, the show just beats you over the head with anything even slightly important.

And the damned headache-inducing camera angles. I don't know who the fuck thought it would be somehow interesting to just constantly shoot almost every shot at a weird tilted angle, but it adds fuck-all to the show while also hiding none of the flaws. The bad tropes are also one thing, but they can't even manage to avoid repeating them. One episode ends with Jet/Spike having their payday murdered in front of them by cops (and for some reason, the entire ISSP is 100% crooked even though that was absolutely not the original situation. Oh, and every cop is also apparently from the 70s?) for the whole "cosmic snatching defeat from the jaws of victory" setup. Then Jet thinks he has a win in getting his daughter (a completely wretched design change) an awesome gift... except the trashy mother won't let the gift stay and puts the blame on Jet so now he loses there as well. The next episode? The opening is Faye ending up in the exact same situation of almost getting a win and then losing it to cosmic chance. So the show is just actively repeating bad tropes back-to-back.

I can't say I put anything on the actors. In competent hands, this show could've worked with all these actors if they hadn't butchered every character, including Jet (whose actor is awesome at being Jet, but this version of Jet is just a lame ex-cop stereotype designed to make him look pathetic for some reason). But Vicious? Holy shit, Vicious is so, so bad. This character is every lame ambitious criminal stereotype you can think of, and a total fucking coward to boot. There's nothing at all fearsome or intimidating about him, he can't plan for shit, and overall he's just a crappy, ineffective nothing of a character. Yeah, the original Vicious is simplistic, but that's his point. He's a knife that thinks, a single-minded weapon that only feels alive when killing and is murdering his way to the top. This new Vicious? People robbing gas stations have more fearlessness, spine, and brains than this waste of screen time.

The series is so bad that you could do a whole writeup on how bad it is as a show in general, then a whole different, but just as detailed, writeup on how completely inferior it is to the original. I'm barely scratching the surface of the bad here. So it's actually not just a failure once, but twice. The most generous I could be in describing it is "painfully mediocre sometimes, but usually terrible".

Ninja Snarl P on
    I am liking the live action Bebop, but it does have more of a campy pulp fiction feel to it.

They did really change Julia. They went in an interesting direction with her.

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Just finished Bebop and I thought it was excellent.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular

They should have stuck with the original story. They made Gren a right hand man instead.

Absolutely there were good directions, even if they didn't just recreate the original (which I don't think could have been totally possible with the changes they made to Vicious' backstory.) They took a character who was memorable, badass, and had interesting connections to a thread of the story that was always compelling - and turned him into a random bartender with a few forgettable, sassy lines, no meaningful interactions with anybody, and no impact on the story whatsoever.

In the anime, less is more. It gets a lot more done without always needing dialogue, characters aren't overused, the backstories we do get are exciting in part because of how seldom they're doled out.

In the adaptation, more is less. Certain features of characters are cartoonishly over-exaggerated. Everything is too on-the-nose, the dialogue is almost always trying too hard and failing. The adaptation is practically allergic to subtlety, and that drastically limits the kinds of things it can do as a result.

• Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    Holy shit. Watched the Alanis Morrisette documentary on HBO Max last night with the wife post turkey conquering. The level of sexual predation talked about was insane both with regards to Alanis Morrisette being abused and the music industry generally. At one point she states that, at age 14, every guy in her life would attempt to have sex with her and either she gave in or it became "awkward". At the end of the documentary she says it took her years to realize that at 14 she could not consent to any of the things that happened. The parts about the rise to fame and popularity were super interesting, but it's all intermixed and hard to watch.

steam_sig.png
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Gren was good, I thought. They weren't a major character; there wasn't any need to make their backstory over complicated...that bit of the original always seemed like fetishized anime bullshit.

We have the language to get across the same basic idea ("this person has male and female characteristics") now without having to take the anime route. Nonbinary is a thing. Start seeing nonbinary and giving nonbinary actors roles.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Gren was good, I thought. They weren't a major character; there wasn't any need to make their backstory over complicated...that bit of the original always seemed like fetishized anime bullshit.

We have the language to get across the same basic idea ("this person has male and female characteristics") now without having to take the anime route. Nonbinary is a thing. Start seeing nonbinary and giving nonbinary actors roles.

Related: character spoilers
    I believe the person playing Ed is nonbinary, but said Ed is using she/her pronouns which is kind of fascinating.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Deadfall wrote: »

Sorry been dealing with a head cold so I'll expand on this.

Bebop, both original and new are pretty much laser targeted to me. I love a good wise cracking bounty hunter/smuggler crew scraping by on the edge of civilization. I also love flashy style. There were multiple awesome shots here with dark dressed characters framed by neon lights or the exact opposite. Not really sure what a Dutch angle is so that gripe that popped up multiple times here didn't bother me at all.
    Faye didn't have battle heels, which is already an improvement from the original. I absolutely hate battle heels. I enjoyed the dynamic of the crew warming up to her, Jet trusting folks to a fault and I enjoyed Spike being more.... Pissed off? Like I enjoyed original Spike with his nonchalant attitude but it was also "okay Spike is gonna talk or punch his way out with a snarky comment." In the new show it toned that down a bit.

I didn't like Vicious at first but he grew on me. Original Vicious was completely one note, which worked for what was needed. But I did grow to enjoy the deeper backstory between him and Spike. Same with Julia, the flashback episode helped me with her as well. Spike taking on the Neptune cartel was very John Wick

The sets did look artificial but I feel like it was intentional. Reminded me of Bunraku or something, can't put my finger on it.

The soundtrack was great. Loved it.

The change with LeFou and dogs rather than cats was fine but they didn't really go into how he was tortured to basically a child state so the ending with him might have been confusing if you hadn't seen the original.

Jet having a kid to give him stakes with Vicious made sense to me, as I'm not an expert on the original but I don't remember him being a part of the Vicious story at all.

Tldr flashy, weird style, good soundtrack, I liked it for what it was.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    While I thought it was overall solid, I do have one gripe.

The complete underutilization of Ein. During the pre-launch buildup, there was talk about the four crew. And he does one video thing, and he's in a couple of small scenes, and that's it?

WHERE'S MY AWESOME CORGI ACTION?

MorganV on

Sorry been dealing with a head cold so I'll expand on this.

Bebop, both original and new are pretty much laser targeted to me. I love a good wise cracking bounty hunter/smuggler crew scraping by on the edge of civilization. I also love flashy style. There were multiple awesome shots here with dark dressed characters framed by neon lights or the exact opposite. Not really sure what a Dutch angle is so that gripe that popped up multiple times here didn't bother me at all.
    Faye didn't have battle heels, which is already an improvement from the original. I absolutely hate battle heels. I enjoyed the dynamic of the crew warming up to her, Jet trusting folks to a fault and I enjoyed Spike being more.... Pissed off? Like I enjoyed original Spike with his nonchalant attitude but it was also "okay Spike is gonna talk or punch his way out with a snarky comment." In the new show it toned that down a bit.

I didn't like Vicious at first but he grew on me. Original Vicious was completely one note, which worked for what was needed. But I did grow to enjoy the deeper backstory between him and Spike. Same with Julia, the flashback episode helped me with her as well. Spike taking on the Neptune cartel was very John Wick

The sets did look artificial but I feel like it was intentional. Reminded me of Bunraku or something, can't put my finger on it.

The soundtrack was great. Loved it.

The change with LeFou and dogs rather than cats was fine but they didn't really go into how he was tortured to basically a child state so the ending with him might have been confusing if you hadn't seen the original.

Jet having a kid to give him stakes with Vicious made sense to me, as I'm not an expert on the original but I don't remember him being a part of the Vicious story at all.

Tldr flashy, weird style, good soundtrack, I liked it for what it was.

No, Jet had absolutely no connection whatsoever to Vicious, which was a painfully bad change. They effectively gave Jet a family just so the family could be put at risk... thereby completely missing the point that the crew is Jet's family. Anime Jet doesn't have kids because he tried that whole thing and it didn't work. It's not something he laments because he's got his own life to live, but he grudgingly accepts it when family happens on his ship anyway. He sure as fuck did not fail so much as a husband and person that another cop was obviously banging his wife and able to frame Jet and Jet knew about it and did nothing. He talks a big revenge trip when Spike directly asks him, but there's no sell on it because it's just a bad piece of writing that doesn't fit the character.

Neither did Vicious care about the crew of the Bebop or any of their connections. Vicious wanted Spike, exclusively, obsessively. They use Faye as a hostage once, but only because she literally fell into their hands. But the crew will fight to protect Spike, so Spike leaves as much to protect them as to settle the score with Vicious.

The big difference to me is that the original is weighty with substance and gorgeous with style and detail. This new one is completely absent of substance and desperately wants to be stylish, but it only rarely achieves it. And when it does manage some worthwhile style, it's only through sheer shotgun effort of doing the same shots and setups over and over again until something finally works.

For me, you just cannot try to make everything in the setting noir and then also have no richness or depth to it, which is the huge mistake this live-action series makes. Everybody with a story beat has to be running some cool, sleazy version of something. There's no regular life here. There's no pet shops or kids running around doing kid things. There's no clash of the high and the low, it's just all low, a world of nothing but shadowy corners and over-informed bartenders all trying to out-cool each other, badly. Every cop is crooked. Every criminal is crooked. Everything that could be bad is worse. It's all paper-thin and recycled, over and over and over again.

Vicious
    The whole part where he kills the leaders of the Syndicate was definitely a pulp fiction moment. They made the Syndicate real fancy.

This discussion has been closed.