As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Thanksgiving] Time is Here Again!

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    The Friends Thanksgiving marathon has started.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    My bro and I started on cooking. First thing to go in the oven; a pumpkin cheesecake.

And also some muffin-sized mini cheesecakes, because the recipe called for a larger springform pan than I have, lol.

Really hoping that I don't have any issues with fitting the turkey onto a pan tonight.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    The Friends Thanksgiving marathon has started.

squatter nut bosch!

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I am watching The mst3k Turkey Day Marathon, because I'm a robot girl of culture and class

I'm watching while wearing MST3K socks, a t-shirt, and a hoodie I bought at the live show last night!

I also put my Servo and Crow on the chair so they can watch too!

The revealed some new movies for season 13 right?

Yes. They will be revealing all the movie titles by the end of the Marathon. I'm not really paying attention though since I kinda want to go in blind.

The just revealed one
    robot wars with Barbara crampton

And earlier they showed what looked like a color sequel to Samson vs the vampire women

It is actually!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Turkey's in as of ten minutes ago! Homemade stuffing is falling out onto the (not deep enough) pan. For some reason, massaging spices into a steak doesn't bug me, but bird skin is just (shudder)

And the emergency trip to the store first thing in the morning for things forgotten/overlooked only involved one white onion, some extra french fried onions, and a thing of kosher salt (since the brine completely wiped us out), which is a personal record for any Thanksgiving I've ever had

Next up: Blanching some green beans, and cleaning 2/3s of the total dishes/pots/pans we own before round two of making sides gets here

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    My mother-in-law unexpectedly brought a killer Mac and cheese and it has put me over the top into full on food coma

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Finished eating!

I was healthy enough to eat and JUUUUUST healthy enough to enjoy it a little

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I made J Kenji López-Alt's sous vide turkey breast and Chefstep's cornbread for the family.

It was amazing.

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    God bless Claire Saffitz and her dinner roll recipe, as is tradition in my household.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    My wife and I declined all family get togethers this year and did our own thing.

I made king pao chicken from scratch, and have consumed a good amount of beer and whiskey.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    My wife's family is fine, they're good people

But man is it a bummer when the Holiday Lottery puts us there for Thanksgiving. Being the only Native at an otherwise-white Thanksgiving is... A lot.

Luv 2 be cornered and told solemn stories about how THEIR ancestors came to America for the RIGHT reasons

Luv 2 have the family prayer include a shout-out to "Indian warriors, and Christian warriors'

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I did see a good picture on what one family of native americans did for thanksgiving

jssu3fqpkr181.png?width=720&auto=webp&s=df1dd711946969051df2657eb50b062a4b23b87d

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Happy Thanksgiving folks! I ate too much and feel like shit!

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

But man is it a bummer when the Holiday Lottery puts us there for Thanksgiving. Being the only Native at an otherwise-white Thanksgiving is... A lot.

Luv 2 be cornered and told solemn stories about how THEIR ancestors came to America for the RIGHT reasons

Luv 2 have the family prayer include a shout-out to "Indian warriors, and Christian warriors'

Yikes! Sorry you have to go through that Pooro, I wish I was there to hand you a beer

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I'd frame that for the living room for sure

I ended up having a couple of friends come over with their son and we had an amazing pasta one of them threw together from scraps (thank you Italians), Ottolenghi's Very Full Tart (insanely good) and a fennel and zucchini salad with herbs and preserved lemon dressing (also insanely good). And then quince custard ice cream and a slice of cake. Paired it all with beers from the other half of the couple who's the master brewer for a local place

Sooo my plans to eat a normal amount of dinner on the day of were scrapped

But I did have a wonderful time and I got to watch the parade and some mst3k

hug the ones you love, thankful for y'all

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Yeah. I may dig into the new Mystery Science Theater on Netflix sometime.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Oh no. I have eaten too much food.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021

Jesus fucking Christ, man, these people have zero self-awareness.

Sorry you had to put up with that.

sarukun on
  • Options
    As the day comes to a close, I’m feeling damn proud of the meal I made tonight. It wasn’t a spread that would wow anyone for the sheer variety of it. But the turkey turned out wonderful. I think it was actually one of the best thanksgiving turkeys I’ve ever had, and I did it. It’s a good feeling to make something really nice like that, when turkey is infamous for being easy to overcook. And sometimes it’s more satisfying to mail something simple than to do something super fancy.

Brining the turkey absolutely helped, as did spatchcocking it. The turkey was about 14 pounds, and it cooked in just 80 minutes.

And now it’s gonna be turkey recipes for the next week. I’m thinking enchiladas.

————

It was a pretty good day, all told. Quiet, but satisfying. My bro and I watched Castle of Cagliostro together while having dinner, and that was a fun evening.

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Thanksgiving is effectively over. I am absolutely stuffed.

Did a spatchcocked, dry-brined turkey with an herb-butter rub that came out gorgeous in under 2 hours. Sides of mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes with pecans, stuffing with italian sausage, fried green beans, and of course Ocean Spray cranberry sauce and Pillsbury crescent rolls. Desert was pumpkin pie (store bought) with whipped cream (homemade). Martinelli's cider to drink, obviously.

Just my mom and I, so even after splitting up the leftovers I've got a ton. Gonna eat some and freeze some.

Pictures spoiled for large:
    paixk5vqw0wo.jpg
    8q20gm41hlzl.jpg
    50aygravz6zh.jpg

• Options
    Oh man, that herb butter looks fantastic. What herbs were used?

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I almost broke up with my partner tonight. She was talking about making more tarts with locally sourced ingredients, and when I said I'd love to taste test them for her, she gave me a funny look at said "They're not for you."

There was a pregnant pause. I felt a very powerful mix of emotions in the span of less than three seconds.

Then she started cackling and told me she was just giving me a load of gas.

Y'all, I am too Holiday Drunk for this, but I do love this woman a lot I tell you hwat.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Why yes, it IS just after 4:30am and the turkey is out of the oven. Then I'll spend the next 10 minutes resting the turkey and making a few sides and WHAMMO~! third shift Thanksgiving is underway.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Pot Roast and Fellowship of the Ring.

All in all, not a bad solo Thanksgiving.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I am so fucking hungover.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    LeperMessiahLeperMessiah Registered User regular
    Dinner, crown roast of lamb came out a bit rare so I seared it for 15-30 seconds on both sides of each chop. Also more sloppy plating but it was amazing.
    v4ymv0ygaagr.jpg
    546j1azryxm4.jpg
    ddph02jv0z1v.jpg
    eaxp7zzjylcy.jpg

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Last night was good. Family in town, a big plate of turkey, potaoes, gravy, stuffing, and green beans. Some board games before and after dinner. Really, a perfect evening.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Oh man, that herb butter looks fantastic. What herbs were used?

Thyme, chives, garlic, shallot, and lemon zest. Would have added sage but the store was out (saw a lady grab the last package right in front of me). Could add parsley if you wanted.

Pulse the above in a food processor until fine, then add a stick of butter in slices and pulse/blend until you have a paste. Season with salt and pepper and blend a bit more.

If you're going to use it later, put it on some plastic wrap and roll it into a cylinder and store in the fridge. When it's time to use it, use your hand to massage half of the butter beneath the skin onto the flesh of the turkey, making sure to get into the legs and thighs. Melt the other half and brush it onto the top.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Hello and welcome all to the next ten-month span of nobody giving a fuck about pumpkins.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Kupi wrote: »
    Hello and welcome all to the next ten-month span of nobody giving a fuck about pumpkins.

Honestly, I’d love to get some proper cooking pumpkin sometime. Pumpkin soup sounds lovely, and I already like squash.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »

Just makes it easier to get stuff for pumpkin bread.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    so

full

but I want more green bean casserole

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I've never had green bean casserole because it always tastes like mushrooms to me, because of the cream of mushroom, you know. And I don't like mushrooms. So yesterday I got to thinkin'...

What if I made my own, and used cream of chicken or cream of broccoli instead? I'd add in a bunch of fresh garlic and top it with crispy jalapeños instead of the crispy onions. Probably also put in some sliced carrot nickels, because I like the texture and feel like that texture would go well with it. That should be good, right?

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    It’s like 20 degrees out today and all I can think about is Aruba Thanksgiving 4 years ago

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I've never had green bean casserole because it always tastes like mushrooms to me, because of the cream of mushroom, you know. And I don't like mushrooms. So yesterday I got to thinkin'...

What if I made my own, and used cream of chicken or cream of broccoli instead? I'd add in a bunch of fresh garlic and top it with crispy jalapeños instead of the crispy onions. Probably also put in some sliced carrot nickels, because I like the texture and feel like that texture would go well with it. That should be good, right?

cream of celery works well

OR just make a bechamel and flavor it with whatever you want!

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Yo, I discovered what Butter Bars / Butter Cake are on Thanksgiving.

They're good.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

cream of celery works well

OR just make a bechamel and flavor it with whatever you want!

I also don't like celery.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    You can cream basically anything with enough gumption

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    People even manage it with denim on the regular, I'm told.

• Options
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    People even manage it with denim on the regular, I'm told.

I'll cream your jeans if you keep it up smart aleck.