As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Castlevania & Bloodstained] sitting in a tree, S-L-A-Y-I-N-G

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Man, God mode and infinite ammo turned on is the way to play Mummy Demastered at a certain point. Enemies are just constantly spawning and getting in your way as you try to traverse the levels, and chests trivialize the enemies so you can actually enjoy the movement and stuff.

I don't think I can fully recommend it, though. Not without huge caveats.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Its weird because the setup for Lords of Shadow 2 at the end of Lords of Shadow makes it look very interesting at least.

Oh absolutely. Just tons of wasted potential. They really shit the bed hard with LoS2. I was so fucking hyped for LoS2, such a huge letdown.

It's actually kind of impressive how fun Metroid Dread is, considering how bad these same folks bungled Castlevania.

Though I'd make bets that Nintendo is holding their metaphorical balls all through development.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Its weird because the setup for Lords of Shadow 2 at the end of Lords of Shadow makes it look very interesting at least.

Oh absolutely. Just tons of wasted potential. They really shit the bed hard with LoS2. I was so fucking hyped for LoS2, such a huge letdown.

It's actually kind of impressive how fun Metroid Dread is, considering how bad these same folks bungled Castlevania.

Though I'd make bets that Nintendo is holding their metaphorical balls all through development.

I don't know how much influence Kojima Productions had on the development of LOS1, but it can't be a coincidence that MercurySteam's best games are the ones where they work with other developers.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

There's a good What Happened about it, actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUjeRl4yO7w

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    IIRC it's a super cool set up for the sequel at the end of the first game that they completely squander.

Also that photo of the guy being the size of a car.

steam_sig.png

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I didn't hate LoS2 as much as other people, but it was definitely a bit of a disappointment. And the stealth bits were bad...plus they don't even give you the opportunity to kill those dudes you have to be stealthy around, even by the end of the game!

Also, it's set in "Castlevania City", which is a level of silliness the LoS series didn't feel like it earned.

• Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    LoS had an interesting setup for a sequel, but they probably should've saved it for something other than the first game in a reboot...

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Should've been set in Barkerville.

steam_sig.png
    SteevL wrote: »
    I didn't hate LoS2 as much as other people, but it was definitely a bit of a disappointment. And the stealth bits were bad...plus they don't even give you the opportunity to kill those dudes you have to be stealthy around, even by the end of the game!

Also, it's set in "Castlevania City", which is a level of silliness the LoS series didn't feel like it earned.

To be clear I didn't hate LoS2, I was just disappointed by it. The fact that it was to such a level that near the end of the game I'd stopped having fun is just one of the things I was disappointed about.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Huh. The collection has Castlevania the Adventure, and not The Adventure Rebirth? Missed opportunity to get that game out of the Wii Eshop purgatory it's in.

None of the Wii shop Konami games have escaped, because Konami, naturally.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I doubt anyone besides Nintendo is going to develop a commercial Wii emulator, so it would come down to actually porting the Rebirth games. Assuming the sources still exist and such.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    The Lords of Shadow soundtrack is phenomenal, one of my favorite PS3 era game scores for sure.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    And the first LoS2 teaser trailer was pretty badass. Of course, it's just a prerendered video, but it looks and sounds great!
    https://youtu.be/gKsEPoJMuKY

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    And the first LoS2 teaser trailer was pretty badass. Of course, it's just a prerendered video, but it looks and sounds great!

It's shit like that that made me stop believing or watching any CG-based trailers. They're almost never a representation of how the game actually plays. I switched to gameplay trailers only, because we all know that 90% of the time we'll be following behind a character in the 3rd person, so swirling camera bullshit is just there to set a scene and drum up presells using bait-and-switch tactics.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    MNC Dover wrote: »

It's shit like that that made me stop believing or watching any CG-based trailers. They're almost never a representation of how the game actually plays. I switched to gameplay trailers only, because we all know that 90% of the time we'll be following behind a character in the 3rd person, so swirling camera bullshit is just there to set a scene and drum up presells using bait-and-switch tactics.

Oh, no doubt, I generally hate them too and tune out when a company shows something like this as their sole trailer these days.

But this one was very well crafted and I can appreciate it outside the gaming medium.

Yeah, I can appreciate a CG trailer, but they never sway my purchasing decisions.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I can get hyped by a CG trailer, or even just in-engine cutscenes with no gameplay, provided the dev and/or franchise has a good track record.

I can't believe people still get hyped about cg trailers

It's not a trailer, it's just a cg movie vaguely related to the game. Didn't we learn from killzone

steam_sig.png

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

It's not a trailer, it's just a cg movie vaguely related to the game. Didn't we learn from killzone

But then with CG trailers we get things like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxzNNrRj-oc

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    I don’t mind some CG, as long as some actual gameplay is involved. Like that Smash trailer is totally cool with me as a hype/information video.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Depends on the game too. Smash is a known quality now. Even if that trailer was 100% CG, you know what the game is, what the character will probably be like, and whether you want more.

Your brand new IP I know nothing, yet you still want me to preorder both the game and season pass the second you've announced it? Yeah, gameplay or GTFO.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Depends on the game too. Smash is a known quality now. Even if that trailer was 100% CG, you know what the game is, what the character will probably be like, and whether you want more.

Your brand new IP I know nothing, yet you still want me to preorder both the game and season pass the second you've announced it? Yeah, gameplay or GTFO.

Doesn't even have to be a known IP. Elden Ring is a new IP but people had a pretty good idea of what the game would be like after that first trailer just because From was making it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Even trusting a known developer is just asking for another Cyberpunk.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

But then with CG trailers we get things like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxzNNrRj-oc

See, that’s a CG trailer that then jumps right into gameplay footage.

Me:

Hey Konami! Where's the Castlevania DS Collection?!

Meanwhile, on my game shelf:

tovypdc3y9lp.jpg

"Are we a joke to you?"

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Me:

Hey Konami! Where's the Castlevania DS Collection?!

Meanwhile, on my game shelf:

tovypdc3y9lp.jpg

"Are we a joke to you?"

I mean yeah, but you can't play them on the Switch . . . :razz: :wink:

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I have at least 2 of those. And a working 3DS with a DS slot that I can play them in. But yeah... it's not on my Switch or PS5.

And actually, at this point, with me being older, slower, and worse at video games than I was when those games were new, I need the inevitable assists that M2 has been including in their collections. I need the rewind time feature. I need save states. I need button mapping. Because while I might have been able to clear Portrait and Order back in the day, I probably can't now.

I just hate playing those games on a small screen. I've used other means to play them on a regular display. It's a bit janky to deal with dual screens this way, but I still prefer it.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I just started the Advance collection and started with Circle of the Moon. Got up to the Zombie Dragons but I think I'm gonna stop playing this one and move on to Harmony. I don't think CotM plays very well at all in 2021. The lack of a back dash, almost no health regen items, and a pretty hard difficulty is making this game way more of a slog than I remember the other ones in the series being, and it just isn't very fun.

Oh yeah and can't forget about the extremely, insultingly slow walking speed, unless you double tap to run which is awful and feels terrible.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    Oh my God Harmony is so much better holy shit

LxX6eco.jpg
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    It's completely unrealistic, but I wish the Wii U had some sort of DS Player attachment that functioned for DS games like the Game Boy Player does for GBA games. Having your DS collection on the big screen and smaller-but-still-big touch screen would've been neat.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    emnmnme wrote: »

This one was on the right track with the title screen but then I think they made the sprites too detailed and action too smooth :P (I'm not super familiar with the 2600 specifically but I get the feeling it's one color too many too)

That said, this works as primitive Commodore 64 :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Commodore 64 games surely looked better than that.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43rb3QOWkhc

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Commodore 64 games surely looked better than that.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43rb3QOWkhc

Yeah, I mean like the earlier gen. They definitely could look better but there were plenty of plain ones like that too (i.e. think SMB1 vs SMB3) :P

Also haha, that looks a lot like DOS Castlevania. I wonder if they are essentially the same. I used to own that one :3

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

This one was on the right track with the title screen but then I think they made the sprites too detailed and action too smooth :P (I'm not super familiar with the 2600 specifically but I get the feeling it's one color too many too)

That said, this works as primitive Commodore 64 :P

It's less about colors and more about the ridiculous Sprite setups of the Atari.

As in they only draw in a single Sprite, and then all other moving onscreen objects are bullets. To the point where many details in games are mirrored drawn bullets. Those bullets are pretty flexible though, like the cool swinging vine in pitfall was a series of bullets.

The biggest limitation on Atari 2600 was the ram. All of it, there was only one pool and it had to be used for processing and video. That likely was what affected colors and choppy animation so much.

Limitation breeds innovation. It's why I love retro gaming so much for the sheer amount of jury-rigging they had to pull off to create a cool mechanic or effect. Don't get me wrong, everything being developer friendly and streamlined these days is a good thing, but it makes things feel very "samey" at times.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I mean there are still plenty of limitations. Even if technology doesn't hold you back, your budget does.

Dirty wrote: »
    I mean there are still plenty of limitations. Even if technology doesn't hold you back, your budget does.

Yes and the "innovation" this breeds is, on one end, procedural generation and copy+paste, and on the other end, aggressive monetization. None of that is as interesting as games randomly doing cool effects you never thought your system was capable of, because one to a few devs found some nifty assembly hack.

Eh, there's plenty of cool shit in modern gaming. But clearly you wanna be reductive, so there's no point in talking about it.

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Sounds more like you want to be pedantic because you don't understand?

Cool shit is not equal cool cool ways shit had to be done that nowadays you just can do. Hardware is at this point practically never the limitation outside of approaching reality level graphics. Which doesn't even remotely compare to what we are talking about.

Back then you had to purposely layer two valuable Sprite slots on the same horizontal line just to fucking make megaman's face skin colored.