As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Doctor Who] He Sings, He Dances, He Has Magic Gloves

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Here is some hammy acting.
    https://youtu.be/p9UV2Ogd9Vg

• TGalahadTGalahad Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Hopefully RTD punts this Division shit over the garden wall never to be seen again.

That’s my hope too. I’m not watching this season but am vaguely following via here or what a friend tells me. But I’ve pretty much decided my head cannon ends with Capaldi until RTD’s episodes tell me I need to know what happened during the Chinball era.

(As for Jodies’s Doctor I suppose I’ll go “Capaldi turned into Jodie who did some broad strokes stuff that hopefully doesn’t matter much and now here we are with the new Doctor.”)

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    https://imgur.com/gallery/tFdqz

kyXRBpD.jpeg
    That image on the right is basically me. I am that kind of fan. :razz: :lol:

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Alright, well now I'm going to have to find a frame for this:

https://www.deviantart.com/time-lord-rassilon/art/Tardis-Blueprint-File-001-190522178

I jumped to the cliffhanger of the episode. That was a humdinger.

• CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Catalase wrote: »
    Can someone explain this to me? It's possible I have my facts wrong, since I can't bring myself to rewatch the Chibnall seasons endlessly like I used to with previous Who.
    • Last season we meet Ruth, who turns out to be the Doctor in the past working for the Division. And another agent, Gallifreyan, also from the past; proven by the fact that she'd never heard of Gallifrey being wiped out ever
    • The Doctor learns from the Matrix in Timeless Child about her secret history as, well, the Timeless Child. And then she got her memories of her past wiped. By Gallifrey? Because if not Gallifrey, why would they have records of her memory wipe in the first place
    • This season AND last, it's kind of implied the Division wiped her mind after she left their service? Not outright stated sure, but implied
    • All of this leads you to believe the Division was from Gallifrey. And therefore defunct now
    • THIS is backed up by the only Division agent the Doctor is able to find is a FORMER agent
    • Except they're not defunct because the Angels are agents, and apparently the Division is EVERYWHERE and ALL POWERFUL. So not from Gallifrey?
    • But if the Division wiped her mind why would Gallifrey have the record of that unless the Division was Gallifreyan and...
    Does Chibnall think ANYTHING through?
    A.) Wibbly wobbly timey wimey.
    While that’s a great inbuilt get out of trouble card, a large section of the two-season plot hinges on something with zero coherency. That’s maybe a bit much for timey wimey.
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I thought it was a pretty good episode until the first, "TIME OUT! We gotta do Flux stuff!" which took me right out of the mood and interest.

The Division stuff isn't doing it for me.
    The Angels working for someone doesn't do it for me. I liked the idea that there was a rogue Angel until the reason was that they were smart and knew a lot of stuff. Okay but why are you rogue and why is your knowledge a threat? Not important I guess!

Yaz and Dan walked through a field in this episode and got abducted and that was kinda their only contribution to the plot. So that's sad.

The professor guy was pretty great and I was really happy to see that his thirst for knowledge wasn't at the expense of everyone's safety. Even stopped the mind-meld to keep them all alive, despite how interesting it likely was to him.

I think I'm just tired of this run and am really looking forward to it being over. Just episode after episode of The Doctor being overwhelmed by the enormity of everything that's going on around her. Not knowing everything and having a mystery to solve is part and parcel of Doctor Who stories, but she is under like 15 layers of not having a fucking clue and it's exhausting.

- She doesn't know who she is
    - She doesn't know where she originally came from
    - She doesn't know anything about her original species
    - She doesn't know what The Division is or what they want
    - She doesn't know what The Flux is
    - She doesn't know what Azure and the other guy are or who they are or why they are
    - She doesn't know why her TARDIS is messed up

And then we got another episode where she doesn't really help people. She tries! But still doesn't really help anyone. She doesn't work out a plan, she doesn't come up with a device or a situation to turn the bad guys' plot against them, she just locks doors and opens other doors and helps two people prolong the inevitable. We started this season with a ton of mysteries seeded in the first episode, and she's solved one of them, and we have two episodes left. All I can feel is frustration over that.
    Thank you! I was having trouble explaining this. But it just makes her feel incompetent!

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Oh hey it's the anniversary of the first broadcast in 1963, a day on which there was certainly no other world-shattering event that might have stolen its thunder.

edited November 2021
    So Village of the Angels and Haunting of Villa Diodati were written by the same writer, Maxine Alderton. Respect for the two best episodes of the era.

Catalase on
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Oh hey it's the anniversary of the first broadcast in 1963, a day on which there was certainly no other world-shattering event that might have stolen its thunder.

My mum watched that first episode as a kid. She said it was repeated because no-one was caring about a new sci-fi show that day.

Apparently, certain things cannot be damaged by the Flux. So, it is more like a hurricane in space. A massive force of some kind of matter.

Struck me that even though he actively trolled Nardole and bellyached about him, the relationship there was healthier than the one the Doctor currently has with Yaz

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I looooved the weird power dynamic between the Doctor and Nardole, especially with Bill thrown in between em. Oxygen was a highlight for that - the Doctor itching for a quick trip to space to impress his new companion , Nardole treating him like an addict he's trying to keep clean. And then when it all goes tits up, Nardole seems genuinely capable of holding the Doctor to account.

...I really like that episode.

Oh brilliant
    Tbh Capaldi/Bill/Nardole was the freakin best

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Catalase wrote: »
    Tbh Capaldi /Bill/Nardole was the freakin best

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    The 3-parter during that run started out super strong and then I remembered really despising the other 2 episodes. Everything else in that season was wonderful.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Naz's actress wanted to stay on for another season, and apparently, the writers took exception to that.

Memes aside, I really hope the next season does a better job with companion/Doctor relationships (and I don't mean going back to falling in love).

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    Are they going to kill the Tardis?

There's been rumours going around for a while that the Doctor Who team/Chibs wanted to ditch the police box design, due to the general cultural shift towards people considering the police to be bastards, actually.

But! Points to consider are that these rumours almost certainly originated from "political correctness gone mad!" types whining about how the show is too woke now.

And the TARDIS is a fuckin' cultural icon that makes the Beeb plenty o cash in merchandise. I'd assume most people don't associate "police box" with the actual police nowadays. It would be go down poorly and probably be top of the pile of retcons when the show gets a new runner.

Oh brilliant
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    The BBC literally owns the trademark on Police Boxes now, specifically because the courts agreed that no-one associates them with the actual police anymore.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Seems like everyone liked this a lot more than I did. I'm actually relieved, I'd rather that everyone else had fun with it and it's just me being a grumpy old git.

One thing though:
    There is a scene where Dan and Yaz sit down with Peggy, a young girl who has just been thrown 60 years back in time to an abandoned village. Yaz, a former policewoman, will have had training and perhaps first-hand experience in talking to recently traumatised children, so this is a perfect opportunity for her to put that training to use and have a meaningful character moment.

She uses none of her training and Dan gets half the dialogue.

Come. On.

I caved and ordered all five of the slimline Blu-ray classic Who collections. I will claim it is a Christmas present to myself.

I put a season of Tom Baker on the Christmas list. It is The Talons of Weng-Chiang season.

edited November 2021
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Are they going to kill the Tardis?
    Meh. It already exploded once. Remember Amy's wedding? Timey wimey. :P

Zilla360 on
    It exploded a second time with Clara in that one episode.

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    One thing about the Angels that I think gets forgotten a lot is that other Angels are supposed to count as observers, hence the 'weeping' pose they frequently take to cover their eyes. I honestly don't know if this is something that's been kept track of in their post-Blink appearances, since it doesn't prevent them being in groups but does limit the way they can move around. I wouldn't hold it against any writer who ignored this rule though, it would make it a real pain to stage a lot of scenes.

Angels
    I am liking it that any image, even drawn, can be used by an Angel.

Also, Weeping Angels seem to know personal things about people. Telepathy?

Weeping Angels are a baddie that suffers a little from over-exposure. As a one-off, when there were just four of them left, they were incredible. Amazing concept, scary visuals, fantastic invention.

And then you up the stakes by having lots of them. OK, fine, still scary, you've changed the dynamic a bit. And then you start over-using them, and you end up with them popping up as the Statue of Liberty because you can't think of a way to make them new any more, so you end up making them commonplace, no more a threat to the Doctor than Sontarans or Cybermen.

You can only defeat a scary enemy so many times before they stop being scary. And this latest episode was pretty good, but now some of them are working for the Division or something, so they've got jobs and shit?

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I still argue that it is piss easy to "defeat" an angel. Slowly close, then open one eye. Then do the same for the other. Repeat ad infinitum.

Sure, it doesn't work when they start screwing with the lights. But it's super easy to "not blink" when looking at one, if you just think about it for a second.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    I mean it works on a short-term basis but "ad infinitum"? The rest of your life involves walking backwards or standing still and hoping there's only one of them.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Playful hyperbole. :) Obviously not "forever". Until you either screw up, or another angel sneaks up and ganks your ass.

But the whole initial horror of not blinking, and slowly succumbing as your eyes begin to hurt and the urge to blink rises and rises, a staring contest you will never ever win... yeah no. You should be able to hold out for a good while. You'll most likely lose to an angel, but by god it should not be because you blinked.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    Seems like everyone liked this a lot more than I did. I'm actually relieved, I'd rather that everyone else had fun with it and it's just me being a grumpy old git.

One thing though:
    There is a scene where Dan and Yaz sit down with Peggy, a young girl who has just been thrown 60 years back in time to an abandoned village. Yaz, a former policewoman, will have had training and perhaps first-hand experience in talking to recently traumatised children, so this is a perfect opportunity for her to put that training to use and have a meaningful character moment.

She uses none of her training and Dan gets half the dialogue.

Come. On.
    What's frustrating about this is that they did establish Yaz's credentials early on, when she made some good points to the Great Uncle/Aunt about how they were organising the search. Makes the later oversight even more annoying.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    "Once upon a time Daleks couldn't go up stairs!"
    "Okay gran gran, time for you to have your afternoon nap."

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    edited November 2021
    A Dalek slowly hovering up the stairs was a bit of a surprise in Remembrance of the Daleks. You can actually see the script in Sylvester McCoy's pocket on that one.

Krathoon on
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    One thing about the Angels that I think gets forgotten a lot is that other Angels are supposed to count as observers, hence the 'weeping' pose they frequently take to cover their eyes. I honestly don't know if this is something that's been kept track of in their post-Blink appearances, since it doesn't prevent them being in groups but does limit the way they can move around. I wouldn't hold it against any writer who ignored this rule though, it would make it a real pain to stage a lot of scenes.
    They mention that in this episode! The doctor actually tells them she's going to try and get two angels to look at each other when they're in the tunnel

Also on the Yaz police training thing in regards to the girl.
    This also comes up! When they first find out peggy is missing the questions Yaz asks are the exact things a police officer would ask you in that circumstance.

but now some of them are working for the Division or something, so they've got jobs and shit?
    @Bogart So basically what you're saying is that they should unionise for fair pay and better working conditions in the time vortex? :razz: :snap:

You jape but that's probably all you gotta offer a Weeping Angel - access to the Time Vortex to nibble on. All they seem to care about is feeding and the Time Lords could provide them with infinite food.

Oh brilliant
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    You jape but that's probably all you gotta offer a Weeping Angel - access to the Time Vortex to nibble on. All they seem to care about is feeding and the Time Lords could provide them with infinite food.

In Blink the Doctor seems fairly convinced that would be Bad. Something something "put out the sun" something something

edited November 2021
    The Trans* people have the box. (Only it's been shrunken down by the boneless again.) Because what's worse (and more dangerous) than the Angels..?
    An actual goddamn physicist armed with a scientific calculator! Mwhahaha! Be afraid, be very afraid! :wink: :razz: :rotate: :lol: :cool:
    IMG-20211127-022639036-ANIMATION.gif

Bonus (Bonus may have been erased from spacetime, division by zero error, have a nice anti-day):
    c6i86lf1qf2w.jpg

Zilla360 on