As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox] Another Big Sale to see out this thread!

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Microtransactions in the 2000s weren't actively an environmental threat, though. NFTs are.

As I said, it's the same, if not worse.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Microtransactions in the 2000s weren't actively an environmental threat, though. NFTs are.

As I said, it's the same, if not worse.

Sounds like the world at large, really...

(Apologies, I misread your post initially, but both yours and mine still make sense. :+1: )

Jazz on
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    Any hot tips on a budget-friendly headset for the xbone? Ideally would be used for PC and future XSX as well. I'm pretty OK with wired. Surround sound would be cool if possible but I'm not looking for anything premium so maybe that's unrealistic. I also have a huge box-head so anything particularly small is a no-go.

Currently considering the Turtle Beach Recon 500 or Xbox Wired Stereo Headset, but keen to get any suggestions!

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    exis wrote: »
    Any hot tips on a budget-friendly headset for the xbone? Ideally would be used for PC and future XSX as well. I'm pretty OK with wired. Surround sound would be cool if possible but I'm not looking for anything premium so maybe that's unrealistic. I also have a huge box-head so anything particularly small is a no-go.

Currently considering the Turtle Beach Recon 500 or Xbox Wired Stereo Headset, but keen to get any suggestions!

Pretty sure every Xbox One headset should work with Xbox Series consoles by design.

In terms of also working for PC, you'll have to watch out for that specific functionality. The LucidSound LS35X has Dolby Atmos and works with PC (either by wire or with an Xbox RF receiver), and is down to $100 on Amazon, so it's not a bad option in the least (the LS50X seems to be the same, but with the addition of BT, and is twice the price).

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

Pretty sure every Xbox One headset should work with Xbox Series consoles by design.

In terms of also working for PC, you'll have to watch out for that specific functionality. The LucidSound LS35X has Dolby Atmos and works with PC (either by wire or with an Xbox RF receiver), and is down to $100 on Amazon, so it's not a bad option in the least (the LS50X seems to be the same, but with the addition of BT, and is twice the price).

The key question is 'What does budget-friendly entail?'

As far as official Xbox gear is concerned, all X1 usable gear is supposed to be usable going forward. Or at least on the Series.

The Wireless Xbox headset also has Bluetooth, so it's usable with PCs, phones, etc. Even as you're using it with the console. It's MSRP is supposed to be ~$100. The wired version is, I think, $60. But I am unsure of how it can be used with PCs.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

The key question is 'What does budget-friendly entail?'

As far as official Xbox gear is concerned, all X1 usable gear is supposed to be usable going forward. Or at least on the Series.

The Wireless Xbox headset also has Bluetooth, so it's usable with PCs, phones, etc. Even as you're using it with the console. It's MSRP is supposed to be ~$100. The wired version is, I think, $60. But I am unsure of how it can be used with PCs.

Yeah, awkward to specify price ranges as I'm looking at local (NZ) stores where a lot of stuff just isn't available. I might end up going with the Xbox Wired headset, I at least haven't encountered any enormous red flags from reviews.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    There are certainly going to be better options than the Xbox headsets. But almost universally they are, for the money, good choices.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I'm just gonna once again toss my hat behind the Official Xbox Wireless Headset as well, it's nice and can dual pair to the Xbox and another Bluetooth device. Great for discord while gaming on the Xbox or crossplay.

I've also dropped mine about 2 feet daily for almost a year and they work great still :biggrin:

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Actually, I'm going to pull the classic "come and ask for advice then ignore it". Found a good deal on a set of SteelSeries Arctis 1, which seem to tick all the boxes.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    For the Black Friday sale I bought DOA6 Ultimate because I thought it was Ultimate for 20 bucks but it's not, there's four other costume packs still that are now only 40 bucks each due to the sale, and they put some of the DLC characters in those packs too! I thought the costume creation grind was the only thing to look out for, this is a whole new level of bullshit.

It's an absolute beautiful game though, classy composed cheesecake aside, probably the best levels in a fighting game to date.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I was also shocked at how they put the characters in those expensive DLC, but you can also get them separately, just hard to find Amongst all the costumes. That the characters didn’t come with the ultimate edition felt wrong… but I ultimately just got Mai and the character that released with her in the cheaper DLC bundle. I wanted the pirate costumes and I got the witch ones, but I’m steering clear of the rest.

I got DOA 5 and 4, since I never owned either before, And I forgot how cheap the end boss of 4 actually was. Teleporting out of your combos and teleporting out of what seem to be cool down phases. Cheap as fuck. And you can’t lower the difficulty, only raise it. 5 and 6 seem a lot more even in terms of difficulty.

Edit: also, I noticed that though 6 looks better than 5 in nearly every way, the sweat system is done much better in 5 than 6, for some reason. I also turned on LR mode for the soft physics on 5 and nearly died laughing at how it makes things bounce all over the place from the slightest movements. 6 actually went pretty tasteful in that department, and you can even turn it off completely. 5 is just over the top though.

Nitsua on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I hate that Overwatch and Mass Effect 3 are my post played games. Feels like there should be a multi player free version of that list.

I think those showed up on mine at one point, despite never having played either.
    I like the museum idea, but it's janky as hell and filled with enough flat-out incorrect information that I can't help but question the stuff I think may be right.

Oh, and one other question about the Xbox 360 E -- will moving it while running carve up your disc inside still?

Why would you do this?

Rest assured, I wouldn't, at least not deliberately.

I saw someone talking about how it was a problem with the 360 and that even a heavy footstep near the machine could cause it, hence my concern.

Basically, I just want to know how worried I'd need to be if something like that did happen. I'd hope they'd have fixed it by the final iteration.
    Nitsua wrote: »
    I was also shocked at how they put the characters in those expensive DLC, but you can also get them separately, just hard to find Amongst all the costumes. That the characters didn’t come with the ultimate edition felt wrong… but I ultimately just got Mai and the character that released with her in the cheaper DLC bundle. I wanted the pirate costumes and I got the witch ones, but I’m steering clear of the rest.

Wait, you don't get the characters with the Ultimate version? Then what do you get?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Oh, and one other question about the Xbox 360 E -- will moving it while running carve up your disc inside still?

Why would you do this?

I saw someone talking about how it was a problem with the 360 and that even a heavy footstep near the machine could cause it, hence my concern.

Basically, I just want to know how worried I'd need to be if something like that did happen. I'd hope they'd have fixed it by the final iteration.

Every time I'd ever hear stories about people complaining about how stable the optical drive spindles are (or are not), I would basically come to the conclusion that they're turning the console on it's side and essentially creating a bigger problem. I mean if somebody says they didn't do anything, but a heavy footstep caused the scratches I would wonder why they would place the console, in any orientation, near an area heavily trafficked by elephants and rhinos.

The reality is that unless the drive has a fixed spindle where you snap the disc in, there is always a chance that the spinning disc might wobble and get scratched. As for whatever issue MS had with it, my solution is to keep it horizontal and not stomp around in the area. I've never had a problem with disc scratches that weren't already there from buying used.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    I hate that Overwatch and Mass Effect 3 are my post played games. Feels like there should be a multi player free version of that list.

I think those showed up on mine at one point, despite never having played either.
    I like the museum idea, but it's janky as hell and filled with enough flat-out incorrect information that I can't help but question the stuff I think may be right.

Why would you do this?

Wait, you don't get the characters with the Ultimate version? Then what do you get?

I don't mind OW and ME3 showing up, I did/do play them a lot, but it's also full of empty time, mainly with OW. Waiting and the ever-growing one sided stomps basically double the playtime. Last year I dropped 90 hours into Yakuza 0 because it's a great game I am the RC/Hostess Club King, the most I've put into a regular game in a long while, and then about 60 in Yakuza Kiwami. But there's nothing there on my list, and I got some good rare achievements with those games too.

As for DOA6 Ultimate, you get the story mode, half the characters, and some costumes for the bundle and some new levels. Like Injustice there's about 6 more DLC characters who were added (Mai from KOF being the big one), but they're mainly put behind a season pass costume pack paywall. You can buy them separately for 3-4 bucks a character it seems. edit: they're 5-8 bucks a character lol come on now.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited November 2021

Why would you do this?

Every time I'd ever hear stories about people complaining about how stable the optical drive spindles are (or are not), I would basically come to the conclusion that they're turning the console on it's side and essentially creating a bigger problem. I mean if somebody says they didn't do anything, but a heavy footstep caused the scratches I would wonder why they would place the console, in any orientation, near an area heavily trafficked by elephants and rhinos.

The reality is that unless the drive has a fixed spindle where you snap the disc in, there is always a chance that the spinning disc might wobble and get scratched. As for whatever issue MS had with it, my solution is to keep it horizontal and not stomp around in the area. I've never had a problem with disc scratches that weren't already there from buying used.

I've never had a problem with them vertical either (which I've used depending on where they're set up, especially if short of space), but basically, yeah.

I even tried with my original shape (but late model) Xbone with some discs I wasn't bothered about. That machine explicitly did not support vertical orientation, and if I recall correctly the actual reason was the optical drive wasn't designed for it (other suggestions that it was a weight distribution or potential overheating issue were debunked). But mine never had a problem running like that. Might be different with earlier ones, of course. And I did not keep it that way up for any longer than for testing purposes.

But yeah, every occasion I actually heard in real life (i.e. not internet apocrypha) about someone having that problem with a 360 scratching that circle into a disc, they'd actually picked up and moved the thing while it was on and spinning a disc, and most likely not been gentle doing so (often swapping orientations in the process, which is just, like, dude, no).

Jazz on
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Bought the official xbox headset for a co worker, she really likes it. 130 canadian or something?

No gamepass ultimate deals in Canada kinda sucks.

Nosf on
  • Options
    The final boss fight for the AC3 DLC was boringly annoying. But now that's behind me.

Now to find 45gs by December 10.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Bought the official xbox headset for a co worker, she really likes it. 130 canadian or something?

No gamepass ultimate deals in Canada kinda sucks.

I’m a little disappointed the US deal this year $5 less than last year. $25 this year as opposed to $20 last.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    So if you’re having a lot of stick drift on your series x controller I just fixed mine. (Full disclosure I made the left stick go from unbearable to perfect abs the right stick go from acting up under certain circumstances to acting up occasionally but less intens)

If you pop that sucker open there’s a grey clip on the left of each stick. Removing those ended my idle stick drift.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    txtxvrhlrmoi.jpg

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/11/23/new-games-with-gold-for-december-2021/

The first OMD is still an all-time great third-person tower defence game with some great animation tech, IMO.

Zilla360 on
  • Options

Why would you do this?

No elephants or rhinos, just cats.

If that isn't explanation enough, they have a tendency to jump on top of the entertainment center. And while it's sturdy enough to not fall over or anything, I had no idea how sensitive the issue would be.

Consider me nothing if not cautious.

But I don't tend to pick my consoles up while they're running, so it sounds like I should be okay, then.

Why would you do this?

I don't mind OW and ME3 showing up, I did/do play them a lot, but it's also full of empty time, mainly with OW. Waiting and the ever-growing one sided stomps basically double the playtime. Last year I dropped 90 hours into Yakuza 0 because it's a great game I am the RC/Hostess Club King, the most I've put into a regular game in a long while, and then about 60 in Yakuza Kiwami. But there's nothing there on my list, and I got some good rare achievements with those games too.

As for DOA6 Ultimate, you get the story mode, half the characters, and some costumes for the bundle and some new levels. Like Injustice there's about 6 more DLC characters who were added (Mai from KOF being the big one), but they're mainly put behind a season pass costume pack paywall. You can buy them separately for 3-4 bucks a character it seems. edit: they're 5-8 bucks a character lol come on now.

Weird thing... I was looking earlier, but didn't see an Ultimate edition. Just regular and deluxe, I think?

Which sounds like it should suffice for me, whenever I grab it.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited November 2021

Why would you do this?

If that isn't explanation enough, they have a tendency to jump on top of the entertainment center. And while it's sturdy enough to not fall over or anything, I had no idea how sensitive the issue would be.

But I don't tend to pick my consoles up while they're running, so it sounds like I should be okay, then.

Should be, so long as they're not jumping on the console directly.

When I got my launch 360, which was set up horizontally, one of my cats then decided it was obviously something for him to sit on (stands to reason since since it was made of warm), and would not be dissuaded no matter how many times I had to pull him off it. At least that model didn't have a big top vent to block like most Xbox variants since. But long story short, he never caused a scratched disc by getting on top of the console when it was running.

Jazz on
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    txtxvrhlrmoi.jpg

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/11/23/new-games-with-gold-for-december-2021/

The first OMD is still an all-time great third-person tower defence game with some great animation tech, IMO.

OMD 1 and 2 are both worth checking out if you've never done it. OMD 3 is kind of more of the same and hasn't grabbed me at all but I think they are worth checking out if you've never played them.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    Weird thing... I was looking earlier, but didn't see an Ultimate edition. Just regular and deluxe, I think?

They literally, literally, changed the name to Digital Deluxe Edition yesterday. Probably because people were going "WTF this isn't Ultimate then is it?"

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I wouldn't expect anything major to change (aside from campaign launch) until February at the earliest - MS developers basically check out after Thanksgiving aside from bug fixes/etc and don't really return until January.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    Some may remember comments I made about missing graphics (team logo, specifically) from Skate.3 where it would appear in 'stickers' and other ad type stuff around the game world, but not on any gear.

I just booted Skate.3 (first time in 1-2 weeks) and it's now visible on my skater's gear. So, thumbs up!

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Oh heck yes. ME Legendary is coming to gamepass.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular

I feel like this was leaked right before it launched and they were like no no no

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

I feel like this was leaked right before it launched and they were like no no no

Never believe a company that says this, Scarlet Nexus did the same thing.

• Options
    Doesn't it all come to EA gamepass thing after 90 days or something?

Drove across town in a rush to pickup a Series X for a friend that was being held for me...annnnd they sold it to someone before I got there. Thanks!

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Doesn't it all come to EA gamepass thing after 90 days or something?

Drove across town in a rush to pickup a Series X for a friend that was being held for me...annnnd they sold it to someone before I got there. Thanks!

there's no set schedule for when things go onto EA Play, not on console anyway. it varies from game to game, depending at least in part on how well its selling. Anthem went on there after a couple of months while Fallen Order took a bit over a year before it got included.

• Options
    Thanks to the judicious application of a friend, I picked up those last 45gs and now have my 95k milestone. Onward to 100k!

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    According to Adobe’s research the Xbox Series S is the best selling console of Black Friday, and one of the most popular items overall.

https://www.businessinsider.com/most-popular-game-console-black-friday-2021-xbox-2021-11

I’m kinda surprised. Not that it did well, but that it did well enough to get past the Switch.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I mean, you couldn't buy a PS5 or a Series X if you wanted to, so it would have been at least #2 by default at least lol

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Note that what Adobe measured was people searching for series S on merchant sites, not actual sales. In a world of chip shortages, this is a measure of interest, not sell through. If there was a good amount of stock it probably connects to good sales, but that first part is still in question.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Beat the Gamepass game "Haven" this evening. It's a game about some young lovers on the run from an oppressive space government, with some interesting ideas to freshen up ATB based RPGs. Including full co-op playable the entire game. It states that "this is not a difficult game" right at the start, which is very true. I've had this one downloaded for a long time out of casual interest, but finally got going on it since they're taking it off Gamepass on Nov. 30. Regarding my feelings on it:

Liked:
    -"Levels" being tied to doing stuff together as a couple (battle, eating together, clearing important story hurdles) was a nice idea. It's neat that you earn new moves and get tougher through that system, encouraging you to see more of those interactions.
    -A lot of the dialogue and scenes are very charming, there's a lot of work put into having tons of different dialogue and skits. Both characters are fairly well sketched out and differentiated.
    -The game is horny in a way that feels appropriate to the themes of the story (love overcoming all). At one point, the game's rating actually got increased, I'm wondering if new scenes came in a patch or if the ESRB just wasn't paying close attention? This is not horny in the way a typical game would be, with the female characters being underdressed or perved on by the camera constantly. Instead, it's just the characters being very attracted to each other all the time, and that being a topic of conversation very often.
    -The music was well done, kind of a "low-fi tracks to explore a pretty planet to" set.
    -The combat does a lot of different things with very few options. I didn't get to try it in co-op mode, but I imagine that would be pretty interesting and fun (at least for a while).
    -The story isn't overlong, you could probably beat this fairly quickly if you knew what to do.
    -The extra things you can find are fun and add a lot of good interactions to the game.

Disliked:
    -I was max "level" a little under halfway through the game. I didn't love the progression stalling out near completely so early on.
    -I'm totally fine with the game being easy to encourage couples to play the game together, but there REALLY should have been a final boss to earn the ending. There are a few tough bosses, but you kind of have to scour the game to find them. To make sure all the players could see the ending, optional even easier mode (as many potions as you want, for example) would make sense to me vs just having the ending of the game be no pressure platforming.
    You're in a zone where the corruption force is the strongest on the entire planet, fighting some kind of GIANT monster to get by would have been entirely appropriate.
    -Too few twists and turns. There's a section where the couple actually argues fiercely for once, but that ends very quickly. There was a chance to alter the gameplay a bit more for a while at that part.
    -There's a way to reverse course by pressing back on the analog stick, it is OBNOXIOUSLY overtuned. I had this happen to me all the time when I did not intend it to.
    -The hunger penalty is kind of broken levels of bad, especially with their whole "easy game" ethos.
    -There's ONE optional thing you find that unlocks a new move, but the whole bit feels underdeveloped. I would have liked it if various of the hidden things gave the characters more powerups. It's meant to be an easy game, let us become OP!
    -Kind of feels like they were aiming for a sequel with several details, but I don't think this is likely to get one (unless the studio is very determined). Without one, some parts feel underdeveloped or cut off.
    -
    There's a bad ending choice and I'm... not sure why? It's actually mega dark but also extremely abrupt compared to the main/canon ending which has a playable section exclusive to it, then an epilogue with some extra content to play around with. The good ending also doesn't deal with some stuff that I found important like... them kind of destroying the basic function of their universe solely to benefit themselves? Again, maybe that was intended for a sequel.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    According to Adobe’s research the Xbox Series S is the best selling console of Black Friday, and one of the most popular items overall.

https://www.businessinsider.com/most-popular-game-console-black-friday-2021-xbox-2021-11

I’m kinda surprised. Not that it did well, but that it did well enough to get past the Switch.

Honestly, the whole article kinda reads like an ad. I know this is anecdotal, but the S sits on the shelf. It can take days to sell through a shipment of S consoles, when the same size or bigger shipment of X would sell out in an hour or two. When you tell people that you only have the S and not the X, the look of disappointment on their faces is palpable.

I know my store sold more Series S than anything else on black Friday. On that day specifically. Because the black Friday Switch bundle was available on Sunday, and all 40+ were gone by Monday. Meanwhile, we got a half dozen Series S on Tuesday, and still had a few left on Friday.

I predict that when stock (eventually) catches up with demand, Series S sales will fall off a cliff. People want the X.

• Options
    edited November 2021

Why would you do this?

Should be, so long as they're not jumping on the console directly.

When I got my launch 360, which was set up horizontally, one of my cats then decided it was obviously something for him to sit on (stands to reason since since it was made of warm), and would not be dissuaded no matter how many times I had to pull him off it. At least that model didn't have a big top vent to block like most Xbox variants since. But long story short, he never caused a scratched disc by getting on top of the console when it was running.

My home has a long history of cats being drawn to Xboxes...

80bcmfasxab4.jpeg

Not shown: my first cat sitting on top of the original Xbox.

And why wouldn't they be? It's right there in the name.

The whole reason I got a Kinect for Xbox One was because they'd keep turning the system on with their noses while we were doing other things on the TV, so the voice commands saved up a fair bit of trouble.

They literally, literally, changed the name to Digital Deluxe Edition yesterday. Probably because people were going "WTF this isn't Ultimate then is it?"

Ha! Well, that just figures, doesn't it? 😹

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »

Honestly, the whole article kinda reads like an ad. I know this is anecdotal, but the S sits on the shelf. It can take days to sell through a shipment of S consoles, when the same size or bigger shipment of X would sell out in an hour or two. When you tell people that you only have the S and not the X, the look of disappointment on their faces is palpable.

I know my store sold more Series S than anything else on black Friday. On that day specifically. Because the black Friday Switch bundle was available on Sunday, and all 40+ were gone by Monday. Meanwhile, we got a half dozen Series S on Tuesday, and still had a few left on Friday.

I predict that when stock (eventually) catches up with demand, Series S sales will fall off a cliff. People want the X.

Maybe after a year of looking for the X people are like "fuck it, get an S from an online store and get the X when the supply constraints finally go away"

• Options
    I'm going to get another X for my co-worker if it kills me, or some innocent bystanders. They trickle into stock it seems.

The S is trivial to get, everyone has 'em so no wonder they sell so well.