As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CF Secret Santa 2021: better than ever!

• MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    ovr1hlkzij2i.gif

I was confused at first because I had received a message that boxes would be coming and these were not in a box! They intrigued me though:
    gdfa10yjwlza.jpg
    gqqkp02ta3ki.png

I opened up these packages:
    Howly Meowly this is awesome! I am super excited! I've been looking for a new/different RPG to get into with my group!!
    pov2t8x4qu1i.png
    4zlnfu2r0v1u.png

These books have been approved by Mia:
    q270c5vr0oks.png
    n8hel4v3rqyd.png
    9it6gapdlqjm.png
    0r3df6ga8mc1.png
    2yck4skivfel.png
    23wpevsvajf9.png

Thank you @MNC Dover !!! It is much appreciated!

MamaWolf on
    "May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • CF SANTACF SANTA Registered User regular
    I look away from my PMs for two hours...

Sorry if I messed stuff up!

santasig.jpg
    CF SANTA wrote: »
    I look away from my PMs for two hours...

Sorry if I messed stuff up!

It's all good!

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Glad you are excited @MamaWolf! OK, story time!

In 1981, my brother and his friends played D&D and then AD&D came out and he gave all his old Basic D&D stuff to me. I would read those books non-stop and fell in love with it. I played with a friend of mine and we had a good time. I played two characters, a Dwarf named Zock and an Elf named Mock (I know, original names), and got them to max level each over a 3 year span.

Then 1985 hit and I came across the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles RPG by Palladium Books. Being a TMNT fan (loved the comics), I dove headfirst into this entirely new system. The IP merged with this wonderfully fluid (albeit janky) gameplay system had me hooked. A year later, a different friend introduced me to Robotech (also by Palladium) and I was suddenly even deeper into the RPG world. TMNT and Robotech used the same system and allowed for nearly seamless transitions from one game to the other.

Oddly, it wasn't until 1990 that I discovered that there was a Palladium Fantasy style RPG system that had existed since the early 80s. I had moved to GA at this point and was fortunate enough to find a new friend who was into Robotech and RPGs. We played so much TMNT, Robotech, and Palladium during high school and for several years after. So many good memories.

In fact, at the ripe old age of 45, we're starting up a new Discord/Roll20 online group and playing Robotech again. I still have all my old books and have been so excited to get back into the game again.

When I saw MamaWolf's wishlist recommended a new RPG system, I thought I'd give Palladium to you. The system is fluid, janky, and allows you to do a lot (even make up your own house rules where necessary), and it's brought me decades of memories, fun, and friends. I hope you and your group will have some good times with it as well.

And so, I reveal your last gift: I'm going to provide you with free narration for your campaigns.

I've been a full-time voice actor for over 3 years now and I've completed over a thousand audio gigs. Among them have been creating narrations for introductions to RPG campaigns. Often, it's the old man narrating a story, but I'm open to whatever you want for your campaign. And I won't charge you a dime, it's all part of my CF gift to you. Simply PM me your scripts and I'll create samples for you to listen to and approve.

And yes, I said scripts with an "s". This isn't going to be a one-and-done intro to your campaign, no, we're going all-out here. If you decide to have a long campaign, I will provide multiple readings for you and your players to listen to as a setting for upcoming adventures. That means we can use your character's names instead of generic "the heroes" and that sort of stuff.

I'm super excited to help breath more life into your stories and help your group have an even more enjoyable experience! Happy holidays to you and yours and may your 2022 (and future RPG campaigns) be full of excitement and adventure!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Daaaaaayum~! Now that's a Santavaganza!

MNC Dover wrote: »
    In 1981, my brother and his friends played D&D and then AD&D came out and he gave all his old Basic D&D stuff to me. I would read those books non-stop and fell in love with it. I played with a friend of mine and we had a good time. I played two characters, a Dwarf named Zock and an Elf named Mock (I know, original names), and got them to max level each over a 3 year span.

Then 1985 hit and I came across the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles RPG by Palladium Books. Being a TMNT fan (loved the comics), I dove headfirst into this entirely new system. The IP merged with this wonderfully fluid (albeit janky) gameplay system had me hooked. A year later, a different friend introduced me to Robotech (also by Palladium) and I was suddenly even deeper into the RPG world. TMNT and Robotech used the same system and allowed for nearly seamless transitions from one game to the other.

Oddly, it wasn't until 1990 that I discovered that there was a Palladium Fantasy style RPG system that had existed since the early 80s. I had moved to GA at this point and was fortunate enough to find a new friend who was into Robotech and RPGs. We played so much TMNT, Robotech, and Palladium during high school and for several years after. So many good memories.

In fact, at the ripe old age of 45, we're starting up a new Discord/Roll20 online group and playing Robotech again. I still have all my old books and have been so excited to get back into the game again.

When I saw MamaWolf's wishlist recommended a new RPG system, I thought I'd give Palladium to you. The system is fluid, janky, and allows you to do a lot (even make up your own house rules where necessary), and it's brought me decades of memories, fun, and friends. I hope you and your group will have some good times with it as well.
    And so, I reveal your last gift: I'm going to provide you with free narration for your campaigns.

I've been a full-time voice actor for over 3 years now and I've completed over a thousand audio gigs. Among them have been creating narrations for introductions to RPG campaigns. Often, it's the old man narrating a story, but I'm open to whatever you want for your campaign. And I won't charge you a dime, it's all part of my CF gift to you. Simply PM me your scripts and I'll create samples for you to listen to and approve.

And yes, I said scripts with an "s". This isn't going to be a one-and-done intro to your campaign, no, we're going all-out here. If you decide to have a long campaign, I will provide multiple readings for you and your players to listen to as a setting for upcoming adventures. That means we can use your character's names instead of generic "the heroes" and that sort of stuff.

I'm super excited to help breath more life into your stories and help your group have an even more enjoyable experience! Happy holidays to you and yours and may your 2022 (and future RPG campaigns) be full of excitement and adventure!
    OMG!! This makes me super excited!! This is by far one of the best things to happen!! I am going to read up about Palladium and start writing those scripts after the holidays!! Thank you so much!!

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    MamaWolf wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »

OMG!! This makes me super excited!! This is by far one of the best things to happen!! I am going to read up about Palladium and start writing those scripts after the holidays!! Thank you so much!!

Hype! And feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the rules. Learning a new RPG can be a lot at first, so I'm available to iron out any questions you might have.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Part 1 of my Santee's gift is outbound.

*sigh* Nothing complicates things like getting a link 'here is my awesome flgs they do local shipping, ' and when you try and buy something get the message 'we no longer do local shipping.' :rotate:

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I believe I've been struck a merry blow, as I have received a package from Critical Role and I haven't ordered something from them. I've received no advance messages about this, but suspect this is a gift intended for my better half. We should be putting up the tree this weekend, so I'll surprise her with it by making it the first gift under the tree. Have Proxy send me any additional directions if you might have them~

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    ovr1hlkzij2i.gif

I was forced to deploy some old friends in response to a threatening visitor from the stars arriving today:
    j365qu11p3dy.jpg

Thank you, anonymous game evangelist! Not at all what I was expecting, but I've heard nothing but good things and am eager to take a look through the book.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Aha, that got there quick, but better that than it getting snarled up in shipping I suppose!
    I wasn't totally sure where to go with your gift, I'm not hugely clued up on the ttrpg scene these days and mostly knew about this one via the artist! But opinions seem pretty positive and it looks like a nice, crunchy book to chew through, I hope you enjoy it!

Happy Holidays to you!

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Aha, that got there quick, but better that than it getting snarled up in shipping I suppose!
    I wasn't totally sure where to go with your gift, I'm not hugely clued up on the ttrpg scene these days and mostly knew about this one via the artist! But opinions seem pretty positive and it looks like a nice, crunchy book to chew through, I hope you enjoy it!

Happy Holidays to you!

Thanks! I figured it was likely one of the people with a miniatures background, but I didn't want to guess.

I'll have a really good time reading this over, for sure. May be a bit 'til I can get it to a table.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

I believe I've been struck a merry blow, as I have received a package from Critical Role and I haven't ordered something from them. I've received no advance messages about this, but suspect this is a gift intended for my better half. We should be putting up the tree this weekend, so I'll surprise her with it by making it the first gift under the tree. Have Proxy send me any additional directions if you might have them~

You are correct - CR didn't let me add a note to the order. The other part should be showing up 12/9 and that one does have a note. Figures it'd work that way :biggrin:

• DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Aaaand we're away! Someone should be getting a couple Amazon boxes next week :D

You are correct - CR didn't let me add a note to the order. The other part should be showing up 12/9 and that one does have a note. Figures it'd work that way :biggrin:
    Honestly it didn't dawn on me that you might run into problems with local shipping. I guess I'll know better for next year's instructions. I'm good friends with and play games with the cafe's owner basically weekly. Likely could have given you some tips on reaching out to them and saving you the cost of shipping. >_<
    Anyway, I shall ensure some decent photos to make your extra effort worthwhile. <3

@Halos Nach Tariff

Okay, yeah, this book / setting are awesome. Thanks a bunch!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I'm glad you like it!

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    ovr1hlkzij2i.gif

Parts for the new dungeon have arrived, and anxious workers are ready to get to work killing adventurers.
    7iinsi51tz3x.jpg

And the overseeing Flumphs show up to protect potentially identifying information
    bhi6kk2k826e.jpg

I didn't get a screen name though, just the gift tag identifying Santa as Jarrett, so I'm guessing it's my CF Santa, rather than my Santa/Satan from SE++ or G&T.
    Thank you Santa, my dungeons will be bigger and badder than ever.

Yeah @see317 sorry that's the one part of your gift that wouldn't let me edit the gift tag, and of course it arrived early. The rest should get there Tuesday-ish!

Denada wrote: »
    Yeah see317 sorry that's the one part of your gift that wouldn't let me edit the gift tag, and of course it arrived early. The rest should get there Tuesday-ish!

Thanks, these tiles are awesome.

ovr1hlkzij2i.gif

An Amazon box that I wasn't expecting can only mean one thing! Secret Santa has struck. I didn't have my phone on me while unboxing, but here's Dragon surveying the new additions to his horde:
    b3vb2lgfmufu.jpg
    tsmyplndl8rk.jpg

And here's Dovah surveying Dragon:
    oitmwcwlmosk.jpg

Both have moved on, and have left me with a great new cookbook that has a lot of recipes I want to try, and a new game that I've never heard of, which is always a delight! And it's a co-op legacy-style game, which is right on the money for my family. Thank you mystery santa! I can't wait to put both of these to use!

edited December 2021
    see317 wrote: »

Parts for the new dungeon have arrived, and anxious workers are ready to get to work killing adventurers.
    7iinsi51tz3x.jpg
    And the overseeing Flumphs show up to protect potentially identifying information
    bhi6kk2k826e.jpg
    I didn't get a screen name though, just the gift tag identifying Santa as Jarrett, so I'm guessing it's my CF Santa, rather than my Santa/Satan from SE++ or G&T.
    Thank you Santa, my dungeons will be bigger and badder than ever.

Supplemental ovr1hlkzij2i.gif post!
    2xwuqovi1z5e.jpg
    In addition to the original Warlock tiles, a bag of bags of dice, and a box of Mythical Heroes miniatures anxious to build their new dungeon home.

So, my minis will be relocated to the shelf for now, and break out the tiles.
    i8lu2k5auxma.jpg
    Look at how nicely organized they are. Well, that can't last.
    (I took this picture in hopes that it would help me repack the pieces and accidentally uploaded it. May as well use it.

The minis come in three colors, which I have immediately assigned ice cream flavors too.
    Today, the Vanilla Crusaders are attacking a dungeon playing host to a swarm of the mint chip minions.
    k8w88l8y4q4p.jpg
    The Butter-Pecans are taking the day off.

The door creaks open, and Haagan Daaz the Dwarf steps into the darkness beyond.
    r62at61z0ihu.jpg
    Let the quest begin.

Thanks again @Denada. These guys will flesh out campaigns for a long time to come.

And to my Santee, The last component has been obtained, I'm planning to ship this weekend.

see317 on
    edited December 2021

Thanks again Denada. These guys will flesh out campaigns for a long time to come.

You're very welcome! There's one more small thing that should get there tomorrow, then I'm done :D

Denada on
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    ovr1hlkzij2i.gif

An Amazon box that I wasn't expecting can only mean one thing! Secret Santa has struck.
    I didn't have my phone on me while unboxing, but here's Dragon surveying the new additions to his horde:
    b3vb2lgfmufu.jpg
    tsmyplndl8rk.jpg

And here's Dovah surveying Dragon:
    oitmwcwlmosk.jpg
    Both have moved on, and have left me with a great new cookbook that has a lot of recipes I want to try, and a new game that I've never heard of, which is always a delight! And it's a co-op legacy-style game, which is right on the money for my family. Thank you mystery santa! I can't wait to put both of these to use!

You're welcome! I tried to both stick to a theme and get things that you would enjoy. I hope you get a lot of fun out of them! SU&SD has a pretty good video review of the game too if you'd like an idea how it plays.

Thanks again Denada. These guys will flesh out campaigns for a long time to come.

You're very welcome! There's one more small thing that should get there tomorrow, then I'm done :D

The last in this gift barrage has been received.
    Denada has gifted me rings of power, which have been subsequently distributed as is traditional.
    3 for the elf
    7 for the dwarf
    9 for the human

jxwnkgwsvkk6.jpg

Wait a minute, we were betrayed? Why did the Minty Fresh Dark Lord get a ring???
    Whelp, someone fetch the halflings, we've got a quest.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Package away!

I may have accidentally spoiled it because I put your e-mail there and now you're going to get an order confirmation and receipt. Oops.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    How -dare- you warn me of incoming Soritas reinforcements so I can prepare for their arrival? (Oh shit quick! Hide all the heresy! Genestealers, put your pants back on! Dark reapers, do something with the bongs!)

How -dare- you warn me of incoming Soritas reinforcements so I can prepare for their arrival? (Oh shit quick! Hide all the heresy! Genestealers, put your pants back on! Dark reapers, do something with the bongs!)

Merry Christmas! :D I kinda panicked this morning when I had been waffling on what to get, and then found out there were supply issues at the top two places I had bookmarked.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    ovr1hlkzij2i.gif

Arrived home from a 10-day trip to find a mysterious Amazon package at my door! No return address either. Opened it up to find some wonderful gifts!

t38rvtfv20xg.jpg

A large box of Harry and David Moose Munch, absolutely delicious, and Century: Eastern Wonders! I've not heard of the game but it looks shiny and fun. Will definitely break it out at my next in-person board game night!

Sadly, there was no note or card in the box, so the secret santa will remain a secret - for now, at least....

ovr1hlkzij2i.gif

Arrived home from a 10-day trip to find a mysterious Amazon package at my door! No return address either. Opened it up to find some wonderful gifts!

A large box of Harry and David Moose Munch, absolutely delicious, and Century: Eastern Wonders! I've not heard of the game but it looks shiny and fun. Will definitely break it out at my next in-person board game night!

Sadly, there was no note or card in the box, so the secret santa will remain a secret - for now, at least....

That was me!

Had to convene my board game committee to study your BGG page in detail and come up with a recommendation, but the consensus was that you'd probably enjoy that.

I'm just glad Amazon stopped fooling around with the delivery date! Happy holidays, and enjoy!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

My FedEx elves are saying that somebody received a bundle of holiday cheer recently.
    Don't forget to check your porch Santee!

ArcSyn wrote: »

Merry Christmas! :D I kinda panicked this morning when I had been waffling on what to get, and then found out there were supply issues at the top two places I had bookmarked.

Present arrived!

I asked one of my faithful assistants to lend a hand with the box, but he wasn't having any of it -

Rcd8yGU.jpg

- so instead I sought the aid of three of my previous Santa gifts, and that was the right call, because the trend of receiving Sisters of Battle war walkers continues!

FxqDwfO.jpg

The donuts were not part of the gift, they were just a handy boy to stand on.

Thank you Arc Syn!

Present arrived!

I asked one of my faithful assistants to lend a hand with the box, but he wasn't having any of it -

Rcd8yGU.jpg

- so instead I sought the aid of three of my previous Santa gifts, and that was the right call, because the trend of receiving Sisters of Battle war walkers continues!

FxqDwfO.jpg

Thank you Arc Syn!

Yay! I hope she leads you to victory in battle!

I gotta say, being completely unfamiliar with WH40k this was an interesting journey. I had no idea what anything you said in the hint post was beforehand.

I got to see some in person yesterday at PAXU and definitely expected the box to be much bigger. I don't know why, but I thought it was going to be shoebox sized. :lol:

Still don't quite know much how armies are composed, but it seemed maybe you had grunts and specialists but no leader? And she was new this year. So figured it would be a nice piece you maybe wouldn't splurge on for yourself. You'll have to give us a follow up once she's constructed and painted!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    ovr1hlkzij2i.gif

Thank you, @see317 !

There are a lot of pictures here, so I uploaded them to the album below!

Secret Santa 2021 https://imgur.com/a/N0pCcDc

edited December 2021
    Green wrote: »
    ovr1hlkzij2i.gif

Thank you, @see317 !

There are a lot of pictures here, so I uploaded them to the album below!

Secret Santa 2021 https://imgur.com/a/N0pCcDc

Glad to see it got there.
    The dice are passed along from @Denada , with such a plethora of math rocks at my disposal, if felt right to roll them forward.
    I know very little about Magic, beyond that my brain really loves the thrill of opening up mystery packages, and that could quickly be a dragon to chase. So, I hope there's some good stuff there.

Edit: Also, if I had known you liked those puzzles, I would have grabbed a harder one for this box.

see317 on
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    Edit: Also, if I had known you liked those puzzles, I would have grabbed a harder one for this box.
    Maybe not the best idea, I nearly gave myself a heart attack on the damn hourglass puzzle

Present arrived!

Rcd8yGU.jpg

FxqDwfO.jpg

Thank you Arc Syn!

I gotta say, being completely unfamiliar with WH40k this was an interesting journey. I had no idea what anything you said in the hint post was beforehand.

I got to see some in person yesterday at PAXU and definitely expected the box to be much bigger. I don't know why, but I thought it was going to be shoebox sized. :lol:

The presentation and details of the models make them seem like they should be bigger, but your average human sized figure is about 1" tall, so even with an impressive warsuit that probably stands a total of 4" tall, well, that's still only 4" tall.

Berserkers wired into buzzsaw and flamethrower wielding warframes have been part of the army since it was introduced 20+ years ago, but the elaborate warsuits are a new addition to the army, to keep long term players like me fascinated with shiny new toys, and Games Workshop has been adding extra badness new HQ units to all the armies, because who doesn't want a gorgeous new model kicking ass at the head of their forces? :biggrin:

I'll definitely put pictures up when Vahl is assembled and painted.

(Apologies, @Gabriel_Pitt - I really owe you a Gift Get post but things have been a bit of a whirlwind the last week. I should get that together for this evening)

Present arrived!

Rcd8yGU.jpg

FxqDwfO.jpg

Thank you Arc Syn!

The presentation and details of the models make them seem like they should be bigger, but your average human sized figure is about 1" tall, so even with an impressive warsuit that probably stands a total of 4" tall, well, that's still only 4" tall.

Berserkers wired into buzzsaw and flamethrower wielding warframes have been part of the army since it was introduced 20+ years ago, but the elaborate warsuits are a new addition to the army, to keep long term players like me fascinated with shiny new toys, and Games Workshop has been adding extra badness new HQ units to all the armies, because who doesn't want a gorgeous new model kicking ass at the head of their forces? :biggrin:

I'll definitely put pictures up when Vahl is assembled and painted.

Just generally, the sprues are bigger than the models.

I got to see the actual size of a Possessed Titan at Unplugged, and that one might justify a shoebox worth of parts. Yeesh.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

edited December 2021
    Did I say Monday evening? Cough ...
    Happy to bring you an unjustly belated ...
    q94ks92bgnpg.gif

Before we even begin, hey, first Christmas in our new home. We were pretty stoked to be able to do a bit more than just put up the tree this year~
    5f3pbmkdwzgy.jpg
    I know, the outside isn't that impressive, and the photo really doesn't do what little we have justice, but you're getting what you're getting. ;P Also, what's that in the window?
    s1gasy2yq8ge.jpg
    TREE! And a much better photo at that~

So on to the portion of this post that's actually brought to you by a fellow forum dweller: A mysterious package appeared!
    se260hakasqt.jpg
    I'm surprised to say that it took some coaxing to get the package inspectors interested in what would surely make a wonderful new bed (as any approximately flat thing we leave on the floor seems to be) ...
    thwti9abahth.jpg
    ... Well, okay, fine. What if we add it to an existing, established bed?
    t1c3mzxka19k.jpg

Alright, so no takers. Apparently the cats demand a more appropriate bed if they're to show any interest (or some catnip, but I don't expect that to appear anytime soon as a gift option on parcels). Time for the intended recipient to get involved!
    4m0cuz3rby0c.jpg
    HEY! You already had your chance!
    And the contents thusly revealed:
    oxfhpsxq9w6b.jpg
    It's Critical Role merch! The lady doth beam having received this unexpected and quite exquisite gift!

... Totally not a week later, another package arrives. Anybody want to help out?
    mvkg1jckzfmn.jpg
    Come on, you guys love boxes ...
    xzlqh9hm60w7.jpg
    I guess today you just love blankets more. Fair, really.
    Okay, well taking matters into my own hands:
    3v9rvn0c9g6b.jpg
    A book has been spotted! And a short message along with it~
    t82usncqodwx.jpg
    mc405z0bcvvx.jpg

Oooh, fancy hardcover murder robots? Why yes, I'll take two!
    ... Oh, I actually will? Really? You'll be making a quick run to the book store for an exchange? Ha ha, very good, Dear~
    (I am informed that she hadn't bought the fancy hardcover version, so clearly I now know which one of you loves me more <3 )

Thank you very much, @Gabriel_Pitt. While I likely won't read ASR until I finish up the Ancillary trilogy, it'll be the next thing I pick up, and I appreciate the additional recommendation. I promise Janelle also loves the shirt and has worn it several times already - there really was no going wrong with that one. The cats are probably a little beside themselves with a lack of big boxes to play with, but I'm sure they'll survive. ;P

ArcticLancer on