As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Chairem [Anime] Thread

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    That man will only be retired when he is dead.

He very well might pull a Jeremy Bentham

Wheel out his preserved body every time there's a studio meeting, so he can frown dispprovingly at the bad ideas from beyond the grave

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Mark my words.

Hayao Miyazaki will be the first actual ghost.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Re Escaflowne. This still ranks up there as one of my goat scenes in anything, not just anime.

Obviously major moment spoilers.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNp_W_ozVx4

I just read Dune Messiah and there's a part in there this really reminds me of.
    When Paul loses his sight but can still "see" using his prescient visions of the future, and just carries on as normal, terrifying everyone around him, both friend and foe.

Van fighting the invisible dragon slayers has the same vibe. "This is impossible. I'm terrified."

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »
    That man will only be retired when he is dead.

He very well might pull a Jeremy Bentham

Wheel out his preserved body every time there's a studio meeting, so he can frown dispprovingly at the bad ideas from beyond the grave

82kt76cqaazf.jpg

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Reynolds wrote: »
    You know in America we not only have shows like Riverdale but also beauty pageants and long running reality shows about beauty pageants? Just as a starting point.

Cheerleaders too

Oh, the sexual aspect of cheerleading is only the tip of the fucked up iceberg. Here's what Leverage creator/showrunner John Rogers had to say about doing an episode on it:
    Every year the writers come in with three or four ideas for episodes. Jeremy Bernstein (@fajitas) led with two crime-y ones, and then said "Also, cheerleading."

We'd joked about it before. The auditorium we scouted for another episode was hosting a cheerleading competition at the time, and of course all the guys said "Cheerleading episode!!" Har-de-har. So at first I thought he was joking.

Then he laid out the stats, and all I kept saying was "Jesus Murphy." And then he laid out the reason for the stats, and Downey and I said "That is ... actual villainy." To be fair, I'll admit I was still a little dubious about whether we could make the episode work, so we had Jer present the info to the writer's room.

It was the angriest I've seen the room since Season Two.

Going much further into backstory will take us the closest to "actionable" we've come in a while, so let's just say there are several companies which indeed practice the business model -- by which I mean wide-scale, boggling efficient grift -- we detail in the episode. A hundred-something national championships. Force you to buy insurance that's never paid out. Fighting efforts to increase safety standards, because better safety standards would interfere with their ability to license and profit off cheerleading camps, etc, etc. Pretty girls in wheelchairs because of some assholes in suits. Using the real world model, we went to work.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Oh man I forgot about that episode of leverage

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Frank. His name is Frank Columbo

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    i see you traded for the eyes

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Watched INAZMA DELIVERY. 2 minute shorts. 20 episodes. Worth a watch, high quality stuff. Makes me think of Mickey Mouse in gonzo story telling and animal crossing in art characterizations. Been out for a bit but just recently hit crunchy roll. Hemmingway is cute. 9r7qr0kljdye.png

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    death note is fucking great

my favorite part?

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I had some suspicions before this, but after episode 8 of Pride of Orange, I'm pretty sure two of these girls are going out. All but one of the other girls seem to think so as well.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    So

5th graders LOVE My Hero Academia. and my SO loves One Piece. Therefore I need a site that has both.

What's a good streaming place for anime?

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Depends if you want subs or dubs. “Funimation” has both in english and “Crunchyroll” has both in japanese with english subtitles. pretty easy

• Options
    Dubs are a must have (should've originally said that of course), so does Crunchyroll not have English dubs?

• Options
    It does but not a lot and not the series you want

• Options
    Sounds like Funimation then!

thanks for the help

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Man, this arc in Sakugan has been B A D.
    Last episode, they all got accidentally high as balls off some poisonous flowers they stumbled into, and his daughter had some kind of dream about him dying and became obsessed with it while also refusing to tell anybody anything about it. So they got into an argument with the two sides being "We need to go to a hospital because people literally cannot walk straight and may be dying" and "We need to go running off in a random direction. No I won't tell you why. WHY WON'T YOU EVER DO WHAT I WANT. I HATE YOU." And again, this prophetic vision of her father dying is when they reach their destination, so you'd think it would be "Let's not go there," not "We need to get there ASAP!"

Which leads into this week's episode where they did go to a hospital in the dude's original hometown, and it turns out that the mercenary lady who tried to seduce him originally is actually the little 'brother' of his dead partner, who after he died in some unspecified way, swore off partners forever. But after tracking him down to get revenge, she learned that he had a new partner (his daughter) and so was biding her time to kidnap her and set up an elaborate explosive filled death arena, at which point she spent five minutes screaming at him for not saying he was sorry about mostly the above priority on hospitalization for poisoned people. And then he unlocks his secret illegal magical power by wanting to use it really bad. Did we mention he had a secret illegal magical power before? Yeah, that's another thing that had never come up before this episode. And then they just go "Eh, whatever. The kidnapping and attempted murder doesn't matter. Let bygones by bygones. Back to the status quo."

I can't even remember the last time there was a giant monster. I think they've all but abandoned the whole mech side of things at this point.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

thanks for the help

If you’re looking for dubs of the BIG ones like mha they might be on hulu if you already have that. Hulu has a deal with funimation for a lot of their stuff.

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »

thanks for the help

If you’re looking for dubs of the BIG ones like mha they might be on hulu if you already have that. Hulu has a deal with funimation for a lot of their stuff.

Looking into this it's weird. Looks like Hulu only has the first 3 seasons of One Piece dubbed? But has 11 seasons of it in total.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    What's the latest on the merger between Funi and CR?

• Options
    outside of “it’s happened/happening”, afaik nothing else

• Options
    I just binged rewatched all of Symphogear original in one sitting to share it with some friends. Thankfully they loved it. I'm wondering if the rest hold up, since I only watched two episodes of G.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Latest chapter of Yancha Gal no Anjou-san
    Fuck yeah! And the author doesn't plan to end the series any time soon either.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    The previous chapter had me dying for this one so bad

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Then the first half of this one had her give him an out and it looked like he was going to take it, but then he just barreled forward. The multiple pages of her reaction was good too.

• Options
    For some reason I thought this series ended awhile ago. I'll have to catch up. It was pretty cute.

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    I just finished watching this random anime I found on Amazon Prime Video, Kokkoku.

What a good watch- well written, grounded characters, believable family dynamic, and just such an interesting premise.

I watched all 12 episodes in one sitting.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    I watched that after people were talking up the theme and saying how bad the show is in comparison. But the show is good!!

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I thought it was alright.

One of them rules animes.

That theme is real tight, though.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Then the first half of this one had her give him an out and it looked like he was going to take it, but then he just barreled forward. The multiple pages of her reaction was good too.

In general I've been pleased with the "Reiwa era" RomCom developments.

Yancha Gal this week reminded me of something from Komi-san a few weeks ago:
    Komi had a multiple page reaction to Tadano's confession too.

Even Yabuki's Ayakashi Triangle last week:
    Suzu confessed to Matsuri, Matsuri thought about ignoring it, and Suzu confirmed she wanted to date and kiss him, regardless of if he's a girl or boy.

Latest Kaguya-sama
    Iino and Isghigami have been making serious progress. (It might be a setup for a giant Apex joke though).

And of course in Rental Girlfriend:
    Nothing happened! Because nothing ever fucking happens, and the author has got to be trolling the readers at this point with his PoS MC.

• Options

Also more manga have been continuing past the main couple getting together instead of immediately ending there, so that's been great too.

Though it's still a bummer that Extremely Straightforward Boyfriend & Girlfriend ended, at least it got good ending.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    It helps a lot that the artist on Anjou-san seems to really love facial expressions

• Options
    edited November 2021
    It helps a lot that the artist on Anjou-san seems to really love facial expressions

Also hands. They do a lot of expressiveness with the hands in that manga.

A lot of artist say hands are hard to draw, then Anjou-san has stuff like this:

b89tlt4hajho.jpg

Or multiple panels that's just a close-up of hands putting on hair gel or something.

The artstyle also stands out as instantly recognizable as Anjou-san.

The woman who did Extremely Straightforward Boyfriend & Girlfriend also had a unique artstyle. She had a short-lived webcomic about an elf village that got burned down that used the same artstyle.

My favorite facial expressions are probably going to be My Monster Secret/Actually, I Am...

Though that series is probably my favorite lot of things.

Lars on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    For the latest kaguya chapter, I'm actually hoping it DOES just end up with an apex legends joke.
    Ishigami isn't even totally sure about how he feels about Iino, and Iino's always been a fuckin' emotional wreck at the best of times, and she's not at her best right now.

If she tries to like throw herself at him I think they'll both end up getting hurt. Ishigami would freak out and then Iino would take that as a hard rejection and be crushed.

The two of them ending up having fun playing video games together could actually be the happiest possible route for them.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    For the latest kaguya chapter, I'm actually hoping it DOES just end up with an apex legends joke.
    Ishigami isn't even totally sure about how he feels about Iino, and Iino's always been a fuckin' emotional wreck at the best of times, and she's not at her best right now.

If she tries to like throw herself at him I think they'll both end up getting hurt. Ishigami would freak out and then Iino would take that as a hard rejection and be crushed.

The two of them ending up having fun playing video games together could actually be the happiest possible route for them.

Yes, but on the other hand...
    What if they just kissed?

*Werner Herzog voice*: I wish to see the kissy face.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options

Also more manga have been continuing past the main couple getting together instead of immediately ending there, so that's been great too.

Though it's still a bummer that Extremely Straightforward Boyfriend & Girlfriend ended, at least it got good ending.

HiroMiya did this and, won't lie, it actually threw me for a bit because I've only just now been getting back into reading this stuff after not for like a decade.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
This discussion has been closed.