As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy the 14th: End of the World Starts Now!

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Ok so I just did a power-leveling exchange with a friend. We took turns power-leveling each other's Blue Mages to 60 on the beach in Kholusia. Thanks for the tip on that from a few pages ago!

So now I've got a level 60 blue mage. (Started at 1 today just learning the job). So I have almost no spells. I bought the caster set of level 60 tomestone gear from Idyllshire and I've gone out and learned a few easy ones that I found in a guide.

Here's where I'm stuck though. The guide says that when I have learned 5 BLU spells, I can go to Steps of Thal in Ul'dah and talk to an NPC called "Wayward Gaheel Ja." I've gone to the coordinates and that NPC isn't there. He's supposed to teach me a spell called Off-Guard. Is there another requirement besides learning 5 spells that isn't advertised? At this point I have about 10 spells. But I can't find the guy in Ul'dah. He's not at the coordinates where he's supposed to be.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Ok so I just did a power-leveling exchange with a friend. We took turns power-leveling each other's Blue Mages to 60 on the beach in Kholusia. Thanks for the tip on that from a few pages ago!

So now I've got a level 60 blue mage. (Started at 1 today just learning the job). So I have almost no spells. I bought the caster set of level 60 tomestone gear from Idyllshire and I've gone out and learned a few easy ones that I found in a guide.

Here's where I'm stuck though. The guide says that when I have learned 5 BLU spells, I can go to Steps of Thal in Ul'dah and talk to an NPC called "Wayward Gaheel Ja." I've gone to the coordinates and that NPC isn't there. He's supposed to teach me a spell called Off-Guard. Is there another requirement besides learning 5 spells that isn't advertised? At this point I have about 10 spells. But I can't find the guy in Ul'dah. He's not at the coordinates where he's supposed to be.

The Gaheel Jas are usually next to Martyn, if he isn't there you might need to progress the job quest further. The job quest will require you to unlock specific spells, but those are usually stupid easy to grab.

For BLU stuff I use this spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1muCCkDxJGgV4ZhP46cDZOq5H55wzZ4KE4FaVf0cBWtE/edit#gid=5068443 which is uhhh very elaborate.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Oh also,
    For soloing stuff in duties you'll want to grab Basic Instinct https://ffxivcollect.com/spells/91 asap. The job quest will force you to get it at some point, but it's never too early for that useful tool in your BLU toolbox.

For any overworld content you can never go wrong with Choco Meteor https://ffxivcollect.com/spells/99 which is a very strong AoE.

Both spells were added later in the game, so outdated older guides might not list them as must-haves.

Aldo on
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    BLU is something I imagine I will always be too afraid to touch, for fear of losing myself to it forever.

It's such a cool thing, but I can't get sucked into another diversion. I JUST CAN'T.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    BLU is something I imagine I will always be too afraid to touch, for fear of losing myself to it forever.

It's such a cool thing, but I can't get sucked into another diversion. I JUST CAN'T.

What if I told you that ffxiv itself is a diversion?

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Holy jeez this post-Heavensward first credits content is so good.

Just got done with the grand melee.

<Me> OKAY OKAY JEEZ, RAUBAHN'S OVER. I GET IT, HE'S COOL

<Raubahn> flips mask down

<Me> AAAAAAAAH I WAS WRONG, HE COULD GET EVEN COOLER

"Oh god, he has a mask. Forget it! He's too powerful!"

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    An End to the Song:

you know it's hype when the theme music kicks in.

Jesus christ this content is so good, lol, it's been just a non-stop banger since the Vault.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Il Mheg is a really nice zone for photography

zpplcsm8seu8.png

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular

It's light and easy and something that can be pushed until 'it's time'.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

Go on....

steam_sig.png
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »

It's light and easy and something that can be pushed until 'it's time'.

I did BLU somewhat casually and got max level/all spells in a few weeks pretty easily. The marlboro mount, however, seems like a good deal more work.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Already the very start of Ishgard is way better than the rest of this game. I did not expect a Fake Bishop. I am gonna kick the Fake Bishop's ass, because as a Roe Dragoon, my reaction to everything is "you're shorter than me, therefore, I can yeet you." I have yet to meet an NPC that's taller than me. Bosses are taller! That's why I bring friends to kill them. Everything else? I can yeet you, child.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Pyromancer broke down on stream today, crying about how much FFXIV has improved his emotional outlook on life & how much more confidence and self esteem he has from realising how many people want to experience content with him. Was a solid 10 minutes of raw emotional conversation.

Dhalphir on
    edited November 2021
    I imagine the flood of 1.5k gifted subs in about 5 minutes that preceded it to get him to switch from Lalafell to Viera for Shadowbringers helped, of course.

Definitely one of my favourite streamers from recent years.

Dhalphir on
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    OMG I thought I was close to finishing ARR and I searched my MSQ and yeah, no. A quick google search let me to a reddit post asking the same thing.. I'm on "When the cold sets in" how much more to go?
    You're currently at the end of 2.3. You won't have to complete Ultima Weapon, BBK, or Extreme Primals to progress. You have...

9 quests until Snowcloak (2.4 dungeon).

16 quests until Shiva (Hard) (2.4 trial).

24 quests until Keeper of the Lake (2.5 dungeon).

27 quests until Chrysalis (2.5 trial).

35 quests until Steps of Faith (2.55 trial).

and 43 quests until you reach the end of 2.55.

I hope this helps. :)

I didn't realize they would introduce Hard versions of dungeons by repeating the quest again? Cuz I was like, the Leviathan? I killed that. Oh hey someone claims to have killed it solo? I was having serious wtf deja vu problems.

50433.png?1708759015
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the hard versions are basically new dungeons at higher levels that reuse and remix some of the existing dungeon assets and add a bit of new stuff so they're less work to make than an entirely new location

BahamutZERO.gif
  • EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    The hard dungeons are awesome, generally they aren’t actually harder but have some differences in layout or bosses. For example the hard Brayflox has you pathing through a background area first then coming up into the normal area partway through. It would be more accurate if they were called v.2 dungeons.

damn, Shadowbringers should have introduced an Il Mheg housing ward. I could be living in a hobbit house in a hillside rn.

Something that struck me the other day - I go to a summoning bell 5-10 times every day, and have done so for months. I have yet to see a person being a dick by standing on it, everyone gives it some space. That is a testament to the community behaviour Square has created.

on top of that, FF has a lot of ways to manage people standing on stuff - you can bind keys to target nearest object/NPC, you can bind keys to interact with nearest object/NPC, you can bind a key to toggle all names off as well as ignore player hitboxes when trying to target something, you can reduce players on screen

it says a lot that despite all those tools existing people still go out of their way to give it some breathing space

Haha, I just had one of the turtle people from the Ruby Sea meet a Sauhagin for the first time, and he said (paraphrased) "Amazing, a talking fish!". Perspective!

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I imagine the flood of 1.5k gifted subs in about 5 minutes that preceded it to get him to switch from Lalafell to Viera for Shadowbringers helped, of course.

1.5k people guilty of war crimes

Dhal, I like the tunic in your most recent screenshot. What is it?

And yeah, Pyro is good stuff. I like that dude. Glad he's in an emotionally better place. Things were rough for him there towards the end of his WoW streaming days.

Lucascraft wrote: »
    Dhal, I like the tunic in your most recent screenshot. What is it?

Omega fending chestpiece from O12S

edited November 2021
    Pyromancer broke down on stream today, crying about how much FFXIV has improved his emotional outlook on life & how much more confidence and self esteem he has from realising how many people want to experience content with him. Was a solid 10 minutes of raw emotional conversation.

Clip of the start; https://www.twitch.tv/pyromancer/clip/UnsightlyObliquePancakeNotLikeThis-JgN1QrT6rxNNzBbN
    Jars wrote: »

1.5k people guilty of war crimes

qml8e9vhndci.png

Dhalphir on
    Name another MMO that has stuff like this. Dance party at Limsa Aetheryte on Tonberry tonight. Note - I'm HARD display capped on number of players right now. The actual group stretches about this width further again, plus all of the usual Limsa crew is scattered around the rest of the plaza - just not visible.

shbl18tl76b6.png

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Evermourn wrote: »
    Haha, I just had one of the turtle people from the Ruby Sea meet a Sauhagin for the first time, and he said (paraphrased) "Amazing, a talking fish!". Perspective!

Azim Steppe spoilers, for the Monster Hunter crossover:
    I'm not sure if non-Mi'quote get that as a dialogue option, but I could go "ermagerd, a talking cat!" at the palico.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    OMG I thought I was close to finishing ARR and I searched my MSQ and yeah, no. A quick google search let me to a reddit post asking the same thing.. I'm on "When the cold sets in" how much more to go?
    You're currently at the end of 2.3. You won't have to complete Ultima Weapon, BBK, or Extreme Primals to progress. You have...

9 quests until Snowcloak (2.4 dungeon).

16 quests until Shiva (Hard) (2.4 trial).

24 quests until Keeper of the Lake (2.5 dungeon).

27 quests until Chrysalis (2.5 trial).

35 quests until Steps of Faith (2.55 trial).

and 43 quests until you reach the end of 2.55.

I hope this helps. :)

I didn't realize they would introduce Hard versions of dungeons by repeating the quest again? Cuz I was like, the Leviathan? I killed that. Oh hey someone claims to have killed it solo? I was having serious wtf deja vu problems.

If you check the FF14 wiki, it lays out the MSQ so you can see how many actual quests you have left.

The good news is the required patch quest content is significantly reduced for the expansions.

Found this interesting comparison/analysis of Sage healing. Yep, definitely interested in trying it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ayPrIngpOg

• GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

This is hurtful

You KNOW that I need to treat all of my gaming like a job. Otherwise I'll disintegrate into a fine mist

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
    finishes One Life for One World

WHO IS CUTTING ONIONS

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    on top of that, FF has a lot of ways to manage people standing on stuff - you can bind keys to target nearest object/NPC, you can bind keys to interact with nearest object/NPC, you can bind a key to toggle all names off as well as ignore player hitboxes when trying to target something, you can reduce players on screen

it says a lot that despite all those tools existing people still go out of their way to give it some breathing space

Incidentally, numpad 0 is the 'target closest object/NPC' default and if you're going to be playing during Endwalker release you're gonna need it.

The bangers just don't stop. I think I about pissed myself laughing during The Obvious Solution. Nero is always a treat, but the slow side eye Yugiri gives him is just ... *chef's kiss*

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I did my first two pvp matches

won the second one

Dac wrote: »
    The bangers just don't stop. I think I about pissed myself laughing during The Obvious Solution. Nero is always a treat, but the slow side eye Yugiri gives him is just ... *chef's kiss*

Oh, you're in for some great story beats.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I did my first pvp since coming back and uh I forgot that tab targeting in this game works not the way that is useful for pvping

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I did my first pvp since coming back and uh I forgot that tab targeting in this game works not the way that is useful for pvping

to be fair it works not in a way that's useful for anything

admanb on
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    My 2 combat retainers can now have advanced jobs, is that advantageous or should I just stick with basic job?

50433.png?1708759015
This discussion has been closed.