As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Western Animation] Max? More like Min

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Dino-Riders needs a reboot that updates the dinosaurs based on all the new things we've learned, and adds a genuine educational element. Imagine learning about a cool fact about fossils, evolution, geology, or engineering with each episode.

Interesting fact: After the show and toy line ended, the molds for the dinosaur figures saw rotation in making educational dinosaur toys, armor interfaces and all.

Yep! They even used them at the Smithsonian!

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    important reminder: science is the pursuit of naming things

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Woah. The Onion mentioned a lost cartoon show.
    8. Sammy (NBC, 2000)

Here’s something you almost never see anymore: A cartoon so unloved that it never even made its way onto the internet. Good luck finding the only two episodes ever to air of NBC’s Sammy, an animated series that made the mistake of thinking people wanted to see a sitcom based loosely on the life of David Spade. Spade created and starred in the show as James, a comedian who starts to experience success, only to have his ne’er-do-well father (also voiced by Spade) return after years away to sponge off his son’s success while trying to piece his family back together. The bizarre cast lineup included Bob Odenkirk, Andy Dick, Maura Tierney, Jeffrey Tambor, Julia Sweeney, and Harland Williams, all of whom got to enjoy being part of one of NBC’s lowest-scored shows in the history of its audience testing. The remaining 11 episodes have never seen the light of day.

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    I smell Peacock fodder

waNkm4k.jpg?1
    Lanz wrote: »
    I smell Peacock fodder

"See Bob Odenkirk before he became a megahit! Before Saul there was .... Sammy."

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    8. Sammy (NBC, 2000)

Here’s something you almost never see anymore: A cartoon so unloved that it never even made its way onto the internet. Good luck finding the only two episodes ever to air of NBC’s Sammy, an animated series that made the mistake of thinking people wanted to see a sitcom based loosely on the life of David Spade. Spade created and starred in the show as James, a comedian who starts to experience success, only to have his ne’er-do-well father (also voiced by Spade) return after years away to sponge off his son’s success while trying to piece his family back together. The bizarre cast lineup included Bob Odenkirk, Andy Dick, Maura Tierney, Jeffrey Tambor, Julia Sweeney, and Harland Williams, all of whom got to enjoy being part of one of NBC’s lowest-scored shows in the history of its audience testing. The remaining 11 episodes have never seen the light of day.

In fact the pilot episode was uploaded to YouTube just this year. Watch it if you dare:

https://youtu.be/H5DhY-InKno

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    My dream reboot is Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers. It basically did Firefly decades before Firefly.

cloudeagle wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    8. Sammy (NBC, 2000)

In fact the pilot episode was uploaded to YouTube just this year. Watch it if you dare:

https://youtu.be/H5DhY-InKno

Poor Pauly Shore. He didn't get his comeback chance since his episode never aired.

geio2g43orz7.png

good

pauly shore is the worst.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The animation style's got a Duckman vibe to it, but not as cartoony.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    good

which one was pauly shore again?

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    good

The Wea-Sel.

/weird chittery animal noise

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    good

The Wea-Sel.

oooohhh.... that guy from the Suicide Squad. right...

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    good

The Wea-Sel.

No. What? No. He's the guy... you know what, he's not even worth this much. Yup, he's that weasel thing from Suicide Squad, good job.

DanHibiki wrote: »
    good

The Wea-Sel.

No. What? No. He's the guy... you know what, he's not even worth this much. Yup, he's that weasel thing from Suicide Squad, good job.

"Gotta weasel the Joo-uice."
    "No weaseling the Juice!"

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Masters of the Universe: Revelation Part 2 is out, and they aren't fucking around.

First ep
    Sorceress as Teela's mom confirmed.

• Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Anyway keeping up with Young Justice Season 4?

It's real good. We finally got the backstory on how Oracle got injured in this verse, and it's so much better than fucking Killing Joke
    She took a sword blow that would have killed the Joker - not to save Joker's life, but to stop Cassandra Cain from loosing her own humanity.

Edit: To clarify, she literally body blocked Cassandra Cain cutting down the Joker, so Cassandra had a chance to be more than a killing tool for her mum and the Light

The decision to keep the Martians around is so good that I wish the comics canon would adopt it. It helps Martian Manhunter stand apart from Superman, which has always been his biggest problem. It also gives Earth some cosmic drama to deal with that's a lot closer to home than whatever's going on with Oa or the Vega System.

I'm not as crazy about the Martian subspecies being only cosmetically different. I love me some monstrously large, insanely aggressive White Martians. But I understand how it was necessary for the allegory they wanted to make.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    YJ gets so so many things right it's not funny.
    Actually I'm struggling to think of anything it gets wrong...

Other than not having taken over DC comics and having unlimited budget, of course.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    YJ gets so so many things right it's not funny.
    Actually I'm struggling to think of anything it gets wrong...

Other than not having taken over DC comics and having unlimited budget, of course.

There are plenty of little things that clash with my personal vision of DC canon.

The Slobo fake out from last season really pissed me off, but that's just because Slobo was my favorite character from the original Young Justice.

Wally West being super duper forever dead isn't great. Especially because, much like the example above, the only reason it happened was "You thought we were going to do that thing from the comics, but instead we did something else!"

Season 4 spoilers:
    The Legion of Superheroes are only being introduced now. I've always preferred them as Clark Kent's childhood friends that paradoxically inspire him to create the Justice League of America after he grows up and learns there are other active superheroes in the present day besides himself.

But those are really just nitpicks. Much like the DCAU before it, the Young Justice TV show is a perfectly serviceable streamlining of 80 years of insane comics lore.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Spoilers:
    pretty sure Wally's not dead. He's the only person to not be shot in gars vision, the whole see his ghost thing is a fakeout... And now we're dealing with time travelers. Also from a drama point of view this is the perfect time to complicate armies life.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    good

The Wea-Sel.

i'm more confused now than i was before i asked the question.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Trailer for the new Proud Family series dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US0ZiWJ3y5A

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    good

The Wea-Sel.

Cursed Knowledge, beware
    While touring the comedy club circuit, Shore cultivated an alter ego persona called "The Weasel". "The Weasel" involved Shore speaking in a surfer parlance, heavily peppered with dudespeak slang such as "edged", "melons" and "grinding" as well as his catchphrase, "Hey, BU-DDY."

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    He-Man S2: the villains are really evil, the heroes are really good, sometimes people are just people, and we all have the power.

Also, Mark Hamill just inhabits his role as Skeletor, that is some damned good fun right there. He had to have such a blast voicing the character.

Overall, the back half of the show is waaaay better than the first half, as it gets to the meat of things instead of having to spend time on the setup.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    He-Man S2: the villains are really evil, the heroes are really good, sometimes people are just people, and we all have the power.

Also, Mark Hamill just inhabits his role as Skeletor, that is some damned good fun right there. He had to have such a blast voicing the character.

Overall, the back half of the show is waaaay better than the first half, as it gets to the meat of things instead of having to spend time on the setup.

Actors routinely note that villains are more fun to play, in large part because there's more flexibility in how they get portrayed, which means that the delicious scenery can be chewed that much more thoroughly.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Trailer for the new Proud Family series dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US0ZiWJ3y5A
    I'm surprised they're going with ~5 minutes later~ instead of having Penny as the Mom.

Still looks funny as hell, though.

sig.gif
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

I had certain small qualms about the back half.
    In the final battle Eternia v. God-Lyn, He-Man shares The Power with Skeletor in a show of good faith. This is pretty awesome! Skeletor, having no faith that they'll be able to defeat God-Lyn before she unmakes existence, suddenly yet inevitably tries to kill He-Man. This is on-brand. What I didn't like was that He-Man didn't pull The Power back from Skeletor to teach him a lesson in letting go. It would not have taken that much longer, and he'd still be able to huck Skeletor to the horizon after explaining that this wasn't about their squabble.

Secondly, I was hoping for a stronger ending for Andra. Becoming the new Man-At-Arms is okay, but I was hoping she would end up with the Sword of Power after Adam retires. Still, she had a great moment in the final battle, and Randor's "good hire" line was aces.

I am glad that Teela talked down God-Lyn, because Evil-Lyn is a great and sympathetic character in this iteration, but screw her for killing Moss Man (again).

Also... last minute Hordak signal is fantastic sequel bait.

I can actually get He-Man's deal during that fight.
    Even after all this insane shit, up to and including actually killing Adam, Adam still wants to redeem Skeletor. He wants Skeletor to choose to not be Skeletor one damned time so he can feel what it's like to be an actual hero, not merely force him to yield to He-Man's greater power. So up until the very last moment, he leaves Skeletor with all that imbued power because Skeletor trapped in a corner just reverts to weasely escape mode.

And when Skeletor fails again, He-Man boots him from the server so he can take care of other problems.

• HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    good

The Wea-Sel.

Cursed Knowledge, beware
    While touring the comedy club circuit, Shore cultivated an alter ego persona called "The Weasel". "The Weasel" involved Shore speaking in a surfer parlance, heavily peppered with dudespeak slang such as "edged", "melons" and "grinding" as well as his catchphrase, "Hey, BU-DDY."

I hate you cause when I read that catch phrase it was in his voice.

Catching up on a few of the topics in the thread I missed, I was actually a pretty big fan of the old Earthworm Jim cartoon back during its original run on Kids' WB. Even owned some of the toys. That show used the same cast as the games though. Doesn't look like this prospective new show will be doing that.

As for Sammy, is it true that the show only aired two times? Because if so, I actually caught one of those two airings when I was randomly flipping through channels back in the day. What are the odds, eh?

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Catching up on a few of the topics in the thread I missed, I was actually a pretty big fan of the old Earthworm Jim cartoon back during its original run on Kids' WB. Even owned some of the toys. That show used the same cast as the games though. Doesn't look like this prospective new show will be doing that.

The only memory I have of the original cartoon is the episode where Psycrow drinks a lot of coffee and transforms into Hyper Psycrow, a reality destroying super-being, and to counter that Jim had to get really mellow so he took a bunch of opium and become Mellow Jim. The two clashed and annihilated all reality, but it was immediately recreated by God, so it was okay.

I feel that as single memories of a show go, this is probably the best one I could have.

H9f4bVe.png
  • AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Doug TenNapel is a regressive douchepuddle but he is like the only regressive douchepuddle I know of that seems to be capable of some decent artistic and creative output. I am still very glad he has nothing to do with the new Earthworm Jim.

Absalon wrote: »
    Doug TenNapel is a regressive douchepuddle but he is like the only regressive douchepuddle I know of that seems to be capable of some decent artistic and creative output. I am still very glad he has nothing to do with the new Earthworm Jim.

Having interacted with him, dude's got a persecution complex that would rival the moon in size.

He is also incapable of not injecting his politics into his work (or, well, that was the case when i interacted with him, during the Ratfist era)

So while he can draw pretty things, he feels compelled to put ugly ideals and prejudice in them.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I think this was announced a while ago, but We Bare Bears is getting a spinoff. We Baby Bears

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3qoY533JrU

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular

Having interacted with him, dude's got a persecution complex that would rival the moon in size.

He is also incapable of not injecting his politics into his work (or, well, that was the case when i interacted with him, during the Ratfist era)

So while he can draw pretty things, he feels compelled to put ugly ideals and prejudice in them.

Try not to think too hard about the implications of Professor Monkey for a Head.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I also remember Psycrow getting scared off taking over the White House by Jim showing him the national debt.

Then reviewers/producers broke the fourth wall to complain about this kind of meta humour and insisted on retooling the show.

I suspect there was some tension in the background, looking back on it.

Also Pete the dog hated haggis.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Try not to think too hard about the implications of Professor Monkey for a Head.

And/or Monkey Professor for a Head

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    In Amphibia's new christmas special was that Rebecca freakin' Sugar singing the short little jingle?

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    In Amphibia's new christmas special was that Rebecca freakin' Sugar singing the short little jingle?

Sure was!

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Does Amphibia get better? We watched and loved Owl House and I'd heard Amphibia was in a similar "Progressive Cartoon Like Gravity Falls" bucket but the first couple episodes were just too...goofy. If it turns a corner at some point I'm willing to try more.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian