As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Marvel's The Avengers] Officially sunset as of 2023, goodbye true believers

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Hold.gif

They'll be giving it away soon.

Is that before or after servers shut down?

Either way, feels like Gamestop is getting ahead of something.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I'll hold off until they include an Arwing model.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Is there a GOTG game thread? If not, get this game, it's a brilliant comic book adventure. A bit technically unsound and the combat can get repetitive but it's a huge game with an amazing scope and there's so many incidental things they didn't need to do but did. It's obviously made by people who love the series.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Is there a GOTG game thread? If not, get this game, it's a brilliant comic book adventure. A bit technically unsound and the combat can get repetitive but it's a huge game with an amazing scope and there's so many incidental things they didn't need to do but did. It's obviously made by people who love the series.

There is
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240943/guardians-of-the-galaxy-squeenix-finally-makes-good/

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    So uh...

I guess this game's not quite dead yet. At least, the devs don't think so. (The community certainly does).

https://avengers.square-enix-games.com/en-us/news/february-dev-update

They dropped a tease for the next update. It's not much. It really is just a tease. But I guess they're still working on it.

• InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    I guess I should play some more. I still have all the side stories to complete, though I haven't played much since finishing the main scenario.

https://exputer.com/news/marvels-avengers-imperfect-past-present-future/
    Game to sunset in 2023. Wether that means any additional content is actually coming remains to be seen. This article is pretty damning if true.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

Marvel's Avengers site is hammered, but the game will no longer add new content or features after Update 2.8 on March 31, 2023. Support for the game ends on Sept 30, 2023. The game's single and multiplayer will continue to be available after support ceases

Game lasted longer than I thought. All that money people spent on costumes is now gone though.

I hate to say I told you so

(I don't hate it I love it this thread is a monument to all their sins)

edited January 2023
    The biggest thing is, if data mining is to be believed, this leaves several characters on the cutting room floor. Which is a shame that they couldn't see the game through to what probably would have been atleast it's "full potential" for people who did like the game

Edit: apparently they're gifting all marketplace cosmetics to everyone but also not issuing refunds for those who did buy them so, LOL I guess fuck you for supporting the game we just killed

Edit 2: thinking on it, I've played Marvel Snap for hours longer than I ever tried to play Avengers The Game, which is embarrassing as hell. Imagine getting the Avengers license and throwing so hard you probably lost money, meanwhile a free to play card game absolutely mops up money.

I feel pretty vindicated, for a wild ride read this thread front to back and count how many times I predicted the future. On page one I predicted Sony-Spidey exclusivity

Local H Jay on
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Picked it up again a few days ago to play some Hawk....girl or whatever, and... so much of the game is just so bad and so janky. Some of it is enragingly so. That cosmic cube villain fight is just a load of trash.

DLC character plan was initially: Clint Barton -> Peter Parker* -> King T'Challa* -> Jennifer Walters+ -> Bucky Barnes+ -> Carol Danvers -> James Rhodes

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Guess my plan of waiting for Epic or Prime Gaming to give the game away for free ain’t gonna happen.

It's on gamepass (console and PC) and on playstation whatever that service is.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Eh. I have enough shit in the personal backlog I don’t need to pay a monthly fee to make it nigh-infinite.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    It's selling on PC for less than a month of gamepass right now.

edited January 2023
    They'll make it free a week before the servers shut down in 2024

Local H Jay on
    The game made me care about a character that I have no interest in (Ms Marvel), but other than that, trash game. Surprised it lasted this long. It needed to be put out of its misery 18 months ago.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    The game made me care about a character that I have no interest in (Ms Marvel), but other than that, trash game. Surprised it lasted this long. It needed to be put out of its misery 18 months ago.

There's also the consideration of exactly how big a middle finger you want to show to the people who are playing. Dropping a game because it's not doing well enough is bad enough, but if you do it too soon then you're guaranteeing that a lot of people are going to remember that when you release your next game, which stacks the deck against you from the start.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    They needed to dump a lot of money and resources into the game to right the ship but they clearly didn't want for whatever reason which is dumb because it probably burned some bridges with Disney but whatever

Maybe one day we'll get a good Avengers/Iron Man game

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

EA is making an Iron Man game.

They sometimes make a good game despite trying otherwise.

-Loki- wrote: »

*Checks projects*

So they made Battlefront II

That's bad

But they made Squadrons

That's good!

And then they remade Dead Space

Can I go home now?

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    I really hate that the SquareEnix Avengers deal and development led to Gazillion getting screwed and Marvel Heroes dying before its time.

God, I'd kill for a Marvel skinned Path of Exile or Diablolike (I know and own Ultimate Alliance 3 on Switch and i enjoyed it, but it was clearly hampered by the constraints of the Switch's specs.), is that too much to ask?

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm halfway convinced the one thing that kept this game from an early grave was the whole Spider-Man deal. That they couldn't just kill the game outright until he was officially released and that contract was resolved. And I was almost certain as soon as he was released, this game would be walking down the Green Mile. To its credit, the game managed to limp along a whole year after (Nov 30, '21).

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

*Checks projects*

That's bad

But they made Squadrons

That's good!

Can I go home now?

I mean, the most relevant game to Iron Man's interests was Anthem.

So....

Oddly enough, i had picked this up again and started playing. It feels like a real rollercoaster of "this is fun no wait this is bullshit wait fun ag...no bullshit...."

• VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    oh man...I didn't realize EA was making the Iron Man game.

...sigh.

Yeah, EA Motive - Battlefront 2, Squadrons, Dead Space remake folks. Squadrons was ok. I hope they don't use the same VA as the avengers game, or make Tony as annoying as the Avengers version. Kroger brand RDjr.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Kinda curious how much money this thing lost, and if it really was because of the contract with Disney that it dragged on this long.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

*Checks projects*

That's bad

But they made Squadrons

That's good!

Can I go home now?

I mean, the most relevant game to Iron Man's interests was Anthem.

So....

I doubt BioWare has the time to make a game. They’re on the 45th restart of Dragon Age Dreadwolf development.

cloudeagle wrote: »
    Kinda curious how much money this thing lost, and if it really was because of the contract with Disney that it dragged on this long.

To me it seems like Crystal Dynamics probably broke some of their promises; the DLC characters were meant to launch alongside D+ shows to help promote them, but ever sliding back schedule meant they missed them all except for Kate. It started with BP and the raid getting delayed and cascaded from there.

Love to see a post mortem. Too bad we got some militia looking dude with a machine gun instead of Captain Marvel or She Hulk.

https://www.ign.com/articles/marvels-avengers-dataminer-finds-scrapped-plans-for-she-hulk-and-captain-marvel
    I actually hadn't heard they did release Winter Solider and Jane Foster, that's two more characters than I thought the game had. Good on them for squeezing those ones out before getting the boot.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    They needed to dump a lot of money and resources into the game to right the ship but they clearly didn't want for whatever reason which is dumb because it probably burned some bridges with Disney but whatever

So, the fact that it will actually be delisted in September leads me to believe that this is the result of license renewal, and them looking at the state of the game and deciding it wasn't worth giving Disney a bunch of money for a dead game

• McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    At one point, Marvel approached the Just Cause team about an Iron Man game but it didn't work due to aggressive deadlines. What could have been...

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    McRhyno wrote: »
    At one point, Marvel approached the Just Cause team about an Iron Man game but it didn't work due to aggressive deadlines. What could have been...

Holy shit that sounds incredible. I mean, the just cause games aren't incredibly deep, but fuck they could have nailed flying around fucking shit up.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    Just Cause 3 with the Jetpack DLC is already basically Iron Man lite.

• McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    Well, the patch came out to close down the marketplace, free up cosmetics, and final balance updates. Fuck it, let's give this a whirl and see if there's any fun to be had at this point.

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
    edited April 2023
    I played for a few weeks a while back and had some fun with it, also some frustration. I had a lot of fun with characters I did not expect to, like Widow who plays very, very well. Female Thor also plays really well as does Kamala. It's on gamepass, so I finished it and then played a bunch afterwards before packing it in. I might do co op with a friend who is in the middle of it, but so far co op has been a problem as you can't join in progress, so you need to setup ahead of time, which is...pretty bad. I patched (77GB) and had a look at the cosmetics and to be honest it just made me mad/disappointed all over again. So much mediocrity. I did make Tony look like the Silver Centurion which was nice, that comic story arc was when I first started to collect Iron Man waaaaaaaay back when. So much of the cosmetics are just so bad. 20 versions of Kamala in a different t-shirts. Honestly, the game is just... a huge warning to every other live service hopeful. "Here's one of the most valuable IPs currently and look how that turned out."

pnbqemuw2wn2.png

Nosf on
    Yeah I watched some fan videos about how inaccurate a lot of the costumes are, especially comic based ones. Largely because they reused models a lot. Also, one of the things that made me laugh the hardest was shirtless Cap. In the original game he has a very round, but not muscley build. So he just had a beer gut. Eventually they patched the skin so he's appropriately jacked but it explains so much about why Cap looks awkward as hell in that game

I never tried playing it on PS5. I played the campaign and a bare minimum of post-game on an original model PS4 and it was pretty rough. Frame drop during big spectacle fights was a huge issue. The final boss fight was nearly unplayable.

So my experience was never a super positive one, though I will say that the writing for Kamala Khan was top tier. The game itself wasn’t very good, but the writing and voice acting were top tier. They got me to care about a character that I had literally zero interest in beforehand.