As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Elder Scrolls] Stolen? No! This one found this thread by the side of the road.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    ED! wrote: »
    I will say I'm shocked to not have a mod that replicates the XBOX UI (playing this from a couch) or that controller support never got patched into the PC version. Who knows, maybe in a few years when I'm through a quarter of this game the inevitable MS mandated remaster will address this (because that has to be on the table).

An Xbox UI is something I've been jonesing for for years in OpenmW, and there have been a couple of attempts at making it that have petered out. I'm hoping that maybe the Steam Deck will revive interest. If you're on the couch check out the GUI scaling factor in the launcher if you haven't already to make stuff easier to read.

august on
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    The most impressive person in Skyrim is the Courier who, no matter what city you're in, finds you every time.

The creepy fucker has even started find my houses !

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Is the Anniversary Upgrade worth it when it comes to content added? I was thinking of starting a new Skyrim run.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I take it Microsoft is becoming the new EA. They already own Double Fine. This worries me because Rare hasn't done anything new.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    What do you mean? In the last few years, Rare has made Sea of Thieves (with several big content updates) and is working on Grounded, which is currently in early access.

Edit: I forgot they're also making Everwild, which looks like some sort of coop open world thing.

BionicPenguin on
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Aight doing a separate post for this because I'm a crazy person.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/57714

Proper combo patches for Palaces and Castles Enhanced and JK's Skyrim.

The Blue Palace is a goddamn frankenstein monster monstrosity and I'm so proud of how I tetris'd it together.

Hey so I was looking through this and saw your other patches for mods offering town additions and unique architecture. I was thinking of using this set up and was wondering if it was something approaching best practices:

Jk’s skyrim

Cities of the north
    Great village of mixwater mill
    Great town of karhwasten
    Great village of old hrolden
    Great village of kynesgrove
    Great town of shors stone
    Great town of ivarstead
    Skaal village overhaul

(All with patches for jks, missives, and carriage and ferry overhaul where needed)

Arthmoors town mods that do not directly touch above areas (with patches for jks where needed)

Does this sound right?

Edit - or should I go with the JKs great cities of the north patch for the lesser hold capitals? Or just drop jks entirely?

Jealous Deva on
  • McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Is the Anniversary Upgrade worth it when it comes to content added? I was thinking of starting a new Skyrim run.

I think you get a pretty good chunk of stuff for the money, but none of it is anything you couldn't just get out of mods. If you're a big modder, it's probably not worth it, but if you just want to add a bunch of new surprises to vanilla Skyrim it's pretty good.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    What do you mean? In the last few years, Rare has made Sea of Thieves (with several big content updates) and is working on Grounded, which is currently in early access.

Edit: I forgot they're also making Everwild, which looks like some sort of coop open world thing.

Sea of Thieves seem to dominate their time. They are going multiplayer too much.

Krathoon wrote: »

Sea of Thieves seem to dominate their time. They are going multiplayer too much.

I can understand not liking the direction of Rare, but Sea of Thieves is a pretty unique thing, Grounded has a neat setting, and Everwild looks very pretty and interesting. Nothing about those games (aside from maybe Grounded because there are a million survival games) says to me that Microsoft is forcing them to make things for the lowest common denominator, which is what "becoming the new EA" means to me.

• AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    Grounded is Obsidian, not Rare.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
    So it is. I stand corrected. In my head, Obsidian is an RPG studio, so my brain has trouble making that connection, I think.

Anyway, to get on topic, I started going through a 350+ modlist for Morrowind. I got about 40 in before giving up and going with a 20-something modlist. There are some neat mods out there. I particularly like the look of the one that adds a trail of rocks behind the huge meteor floating above Vivec.

cbxxrlu6t1gn.png

It looks much more dramatic.

• Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    A 1st party publisher has very different priorities than a 3rd party one. How well the games sell is almost irrelevant. What really matters is how effectively they draw new customers to your hardware.

A game that has mass appeal is still a failure if the only people who want it are people who have already bought into your console. Likewise, a game that doesn't make back its budget is still a success if it attracts a subculture who otherwise wouldn't have been interested in your console.

This is precisely why Microsoft has been headhunting developers like Double Fine who are known for making niche games with strong cult followings. You also see this kind of behavior with Nintendo. They bought Monolith Soft in the 00's because they recognized JRPG developers had mostly abandoned them in favor of Sony, and they wanted to give that audience a reason to still care about their hardware.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    So it is. I stand corrected. In my head, Obsidian is an RPG studio, so my brain has trouble making that connection, I think.

Anyway, to get on topic, I started going through a 350+ modlist for Morrowind. I got about 40 in before giving up and going with a 20-something modlist. There are some neat mods out there. I particularly like the look of the one that adds a trail of rocks behind the huge meteor floating above Vivec.

cbxxrlu6t1gn.png

It looks much more dramatic.

...I really hope Skywind actually happens.

edited November 2021
    Damn was messing around with town mods, tried out the great city of winterhold.

Holy shit. That’s a really big improvement on the 4 thatched huts of the base game. Even works with CFTO and missives just fine. (The carriage hugs a tree and rock a little bit close but hell its winterhold, anything to get out of the snow right?)

I think my plan now is to do the great cities mod standalones for the 4 minircapitals with the cotn patch for everything but winterhold (though I might use the alternate patch that just adds in the stone jarls fortress on the mountain) the great villiage minor town (so great cities everything but rorikstead and dragonbridge basically), then rodryks dragonbridge w/arthmoor, arthmoors rorikstead and other random minor coties not covered by anything else, and elis skaal village for maximum architecture.

Jealous Deva on
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Ok. Continuing my Skyrim SE playthrough.

I can now make Glass armour and weapons.

I have a ring and necklace of fortify smithing, so all my improved gear is legendary.

I just need a ring and necklace of improve enchanting, and get 14 more points in enchanting to hit 100 so I can then make gear with two enchantments on. I'll be able to carry so much stuff !

I'm currently working on the mages guild questline.

I also need to start hoarding gold, for the 100k gold achievement, so I might put a few points in speachcraft, for better prices.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Looks like an SE patch is out today, hopefully that means the black screen issue is fixed. Just gotta wait for SKSE now.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Aight doing a separate post for this because I'm a crazy person.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/57714

Proper combo patches for Palaces and Castles Enhanced and JK's Skyrim.

The Blue Palace is a goddamn frankenstein monster monstrosity and I'm so proud of how I tetris'd it together.

Hey so I was looking through this and saw your other patches for mods offering town additions and unique architecture. I was thinking of using this set up and was wondering if it was something approaching best practices:

Jk’s skyrim

Cities of the north
    Great village of mixwater mill
    Great town of karhwasten
    Great village of old hrolden
    Great village of kynesgrove
    Great town of shors stone
    Great town of ivarstead
    Skaal village overhaul

(All with patches for jks, missives, and carriage and ferry overhaul where needed)

Arthmoors town mods that do not directly touch above areas (with patches for jks where needed)

Does this sound right?

Edit - or should I go with the JKs great cities of the north patch for the lesser hold capitals? Or just drop jks entirely?

Okay, so, what it boils down to is effectively this:

Cities of the North - unique architecture and feel for minor holds
    The Great Cities - WALLS (also a little bit of other stuff, but mostly makes it so stuff feels more fortified)
    JKs - more "clutter" - makes cities and towns feel a bit more lived in.

Other options to search for:
    Redbag - also has unique architecture
    ClefJ - another "redoes everything" ala COTN option
    Dawn of Skyrim - only major holds, I think
    Enhanced Solitude - the "holy shit this is a lot of stuff" solitude option

If I were building from scratch, what I would do:
    • Include JKs because I like clutter.
    • COTN Falkreath and Dawnstar for sure, maybe Morthal, but I'm interested in trying out ClefJ's. There's plenty of patches for ClefJ's out there, but some manual stuff might be necessary depending on what you have so YMMV
    • Great Town/Villages series, minus Karthwasten and Old Hroldan - they're a bit rough around the edges and don't have as nice a feel as Ivarstead onward
    • Enhanced Solitude because I'm a crazy person
    • Sit around and wait for version 4.0 of The Great City of Winterhold
    • Quaint Raven Rock
    • Better Tel Mithryn

What you've described should work fine, but I find having COTN + TGC + JK to be a bit....much, so to speak.

edited November 2021
    Thanks for the recommendations.

I will probably switch out karthwasten from great villages for clefj’s version and add his half moon mill. I am a bit torn on great villages old Hrolden - it is a bit weird for sure but theres nothing else I have to really compete in that area so I may rather have a few odd buildings than generic farmhouses.

I don’t know about morthal, I may try both versions and see which one clicks.

I definitely will try quaint raven rock and better tel mithryn though.

I think I may just drop jks, not as big of a clutter fan.

Edit: honestly I feel like clefjs Morthal might look a bit too good. Its supposed to be a bit of a shithole, clefjs looks like a quaint european vacation spot. Thats not a bad thing by any means though. I do like the way cotn and tgc come together with the wood houses and fortifications to give a feeling of “this city is something we threw together in a swamp” though.

Jealous Deva on
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Huzzah, SKSE has updated for the new SE patch, and my previously blackscreened save works again.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    edited November 2021
    So I wanted to do one last special edition playthrough before invariably doing a full out ae playthrough in 6 months or so, will it kill anything in my game (in regards to either the new se patch or USEEP) to just disable fishing and saints and seducers? I will probably use cc survival and can live with rare curios.

Edit: I don’t see those plugins listed for masters for anything so I am just going to assume its ok.

Edit 2: hell I don’t even think I’m going to do any big graphics or texture mods this time. Just unofficial patches, skyui, cutting room floor, missives, town mods we were talking about above, kynes mergedweather set up, smim, enhanced vanilla trees, creation club survival/camping/backpack, ADAMANT and all those mods that go with it, opusglass’s solstheim creatures,and dragonborn is part of skyrim (I need my boars and winterhold college staff enchanters).

RP is going to be that I’m a high elf refugee hobo that runs around doing odd jobs and accidently saves the world.

Jealous Deva on
    Untitled.png

I am a monster and must be stopped.

In other news, I made a page for my other rando patches that don't fit anywhere else: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/57365

edited November 2021
    Going to be honest, your morthal and falkreath mergers of great cities and COTN are really awesome. I loaded them up and have to say those are my favorite versions of those cities, the elements of both mods come together really well. (Nothing against Dawnstar implied there, I just don’t really like the great cities wall for that town)

Jealous Deva on
    Going to be honest, your morthal and falkreath mergers of great cities and COTN are really awesome. I loaded them up and have to say those are my favorite versions of those cities, the elements of both mods come together really well. (Nothing against Dawnstar implied there, I just don’t really like the great cities wall for that town)

Czasior took care of Falkreath TGC. I did JK, and the combo of JK+TGC :)

Oh well, I’m using a ton of patches from your pages so thanks for maintaining everything.

I think I’ve got my load order set and made a merged patch in ssedit , time to generate LODs and I should be good to go.

Its funny whenever I make a modlist ai get paranoid like somehow I’m getting graded on it or something.

edited November 2021
    Holy crap.

So survival mode has 4 food categories

Theres a really awesome food category that grants 380 hunger, a good food category that grants 240 hunger, so far so good…

But then there is a bland cooked that gives 18(!) and a raw food that gives 2(!).

Now clearly you shouldn’t have to eat 120 peices of bread to equal one bowl of potato soup… the last two are clearly missing a zero…. How has no one ever noticed this in like 3 years?

Edit: and of course it took like 5 minutes to make a patch to fix, I guess I should upload it to the nexus but I am lazy.

Jealous Deva on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I decided to bite the bullet and try and start up SSE post-AE update and, after a few obvious fixes (SKSE update, Engine fixes, etc.), I was able to boot into the game.

But I'm guessing my current save is inaccessible (or maybe just unsalvageable) since I was stuck on .NET Script Framework 12.0, so I'm stuck CTD regardless of which save I load--I couldn't even update to 14.0 without crashes on load (something I've shared in the past), and .NET Script Framework is not compatible with AE period (whether or not you've purchased the DLC, naturally).

I'm not that annoyed, since I was expecting something like this--I might just take the opportunity to bite the bullet and recompletely rebuild SSE from scratch (all my armor, etc., should work, which is nice), and buy the AE update for future content requirements, but I wanted to weigh in to see if anyone else knew something about .NET Framework that I might be missing. I think someone else mentioned running into CTD on save loading after the update?

Hopefully I'll be able to salvage my character's face, I got it more or less just the way I wanted it.

Synthesis on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I decided to bite the bullet and try and start up SSE post-AE update and, after a few obvious fixes (SKSE update, Engine fixes, etc.), I was able to boot into the game.

But I'm guessing my current save is inaccessible (or maybe just unsalvageable) since I was stuck on .NET Script Framework 12.0, so I'm stuck CTD regardless of which save I load--I couldn't even update to 14.0 without crashes on load (something I've shared in the past), and .NET Script Framework is not compatible with AE period (whether or not you've purchased the DLC, naturally).

I'm not that annoyed, since I was expecting something like this--I might just take the opportunity to bite the bullet and recompletely rebuild SSE from scratch (all my armor, etc., should work, which is nice), and buy the AE update for future content requirements, but I wanted to weigh in to see if anyone else knew something about .NET Framework that I might be missing. I think someone else mentioned running into CTD on save loading after the update?

Hopefully I'll be able to salvage my character's face, I got it more or less just the way I wanted it.

Yeah, there is a reason the Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Downgrade Patcher has already entered the Top Files of All Time for Skyrim SE Nexus.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Axen wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »

Yeah, there is a reason the Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Downgrade Patcher has already entered the Top Files of All Time for Skyrim SE Nexus.

It's a welcome option to be sure, but at given the issue with .NET Script Framework I might just take the holiday as an opportunity to..."fix" this, in the sense of setting up SSE fresh to use AE. I was already having issues with the outdated version, but it seems to be a rather problematic endpath since whether or not it's ever going to get updated for anyone to use it is up in the air (I think I have just two mods that actually used it--Immersive First Person, and No Grass on Objects, and I uninstalled that one because a dubious improvement to performance and aesthetic wasn't worth the CTD issues).

Hard to say, really.

One thing with AE that will be nice is the modding community actually paying attention to the CC content (much of which is actually quite good!). But I only have 10 or so creations enabled (just survival, and crossbow and armors) and have already noticed a few things that never should have gotten live (aside from the survival thing which I can’t believe is intentional, there is no way the designers intended it to take 500 apples or 50 grilled chicken breasts to fill up the hunger bar), I also just got a letter to go on a quest for ebony plate… At level 2 (its supposed to trigger at level 32).

edited November 2021
    So, I went ahead and spent a couple hours cleaning things up and reduced my installation to...pretty much just the game and SKSE.

Has anyone run into an issue where even the most recent update of SKSE causes the prison cart sequence to glitch out? Disabling SKSE fixes the issue, so....well, it's probably SKSE, but I haven't heard any other mention of it. Kind of a waste to spend that much time cleaning everything up just to have a broken lynchpin, but hey, that's how it works. This is easily bypassed (the cart sequence was always a nightmare), but still, maybe better to keep waiting.

Synthesis on
    So I was wondering, is there anything that would mess with AE in interior mods (like I have cities of the north, some of jks interiors, etc). I know some of the AE mods throw notes into inns, etc, didn’t know if that would make any difference.

Not any more than anything else would.

My collections cover the CC mods now, fwiw

I'm waiting for the True Directional Movement mod to update, but otherwise I think I'm at near 100% to where I was before this fantastic update. :lol:

Not any more than anything else would.

My collections cover the CC mods now, fwiw

Awesome, I have an overall architecture setup I am really happy with, I guess I will give things a couple more weeks for a few minor mods to update and do a new play through with AE integrated.

On Part 16 of "Can I start a new game of Skyrim?" Despite massive physics freak out out, the prison cart managed to make it into Helgen and the blank prisoner character got out. The horsethief as a bad habit of just standing in place, failing to trigger the next event, but you can actually "fix" this with disabling and enabling him in console, allowing you to create your character.

Then in Racemenu, going through hair mod options caused a hard crash. Sooooo...probably need to disable more mods (or just remove stuff from the overwrite folder causing the physics freak out), and reinstall all my hair mods as the next step.

This is a lot less charming a process than I thought it would be. :lol:

edited November 2021
    You could skip the intro sequence entirely by using an alternate start mod. I recommend Skyrim Unbound Reborn, but Live Another Life is the much more popular option.

Skyrim Unbound lets you choose a bunch of things (where you start, what sorts of items you have, how much money you have, etc). It also integrates into the game in a much better way by having dragons be a part of the game after a set amount of time or levels (which you set) and then becoming the Dragonborn by killing any random dragon instead of the specific dragon outside Whiterun. You can also choose to not be the Dragonborn at all by turning off dragon spawning or the ability to absorb their souls.

Live Another Life is more of a "you are this person" sort of mod. You can start as a bunch of different people, like a bandit in some random fort or an alchemist in that little house in Blackreach (it can be difficult to get out of there at level 1) or the owner of a small farm. I think it integrates into the main quest pretty poorly. You just follow some notes or something (it's been awhile). However, because of its popularity, it has a lot of addons and patches by other modders.

I'm not aware of any mod conflicts with either mod (besides each other), so they shouldn't break your game.

Edit: It looks like Live Another Life has a few conflicts, but they're mostly things that would be pretty obvious.

BionicPenguin on
    You could skip the intro sequence entirely by using an alternate start mod. I recommend Skyrim Unbound Reborn, but Live Another Life is the much more popular option.

Skyrim Unbound lets you choose a bunch of things (where you start, what sorts of items you have, how much money you have, etc). It also integrates into the game in a much better way by having dragons be a part of the game after a set amount of time or levels (which you set) and then becoming the Dragonborn by killing any random dragon instead of the specific dragon outside Whiterun. You can also choose to not be the Dragonborn at all by turning off dragon spawning or the ability to absorb their souls.

Live Another Life is more of a "you are this person" sort of mod. You can start as a bunch of different people, like a bandit in some random fort or an alchemist in that little house in Blackreach (it can be difficult to get out of there at level 1) or the owner of a small farm. I think it integrates into the main quest pretty poorly. You just follow some notes or something (it's been awhile). However, because of its popularity, it has a lot of addons and patches by other modders.

I'm not aware of any mod conflicts with either mod (besides each other), so they shouldn't break your game.

Edit: It looks like Live Another Life has a few conflicts, but they're mostly things that would be pretty obvious.

I'm familiar with alternative start mods, and should probably just use them.

Except I really enjoy the Restored Content to the Helgen Sequence (I'm at work, so I can't recall the exact name), and things like the hair mod crash would be problems anyway. Technically speaking, I've already beaten the Helgen sequence mod incompatibility issue. Possibly. Hard to say.

Though alternate start mods are useful for debugging purposes. In the meantime, I'm bummed to find out that my character face presets from pre-AE don't show up at all (to my surprise), and Skyrim doesn't have a good savegame face-ripping tool the way Oblivion does it would seem. The last time I tried to load an old save, it did work, with some content obviously missing, but "showracemenu" caused a hard lock. Though I could just recreate the character's face from screencaptures.

Racemenu isn't updated for AE yet.

Racemenu isn't updated for AE yet.

Ah, I hadn't thought of checking. It does work though, I assumed it wasn't necessarily needing it, but maybe that's the preset issue. *sigh*

So I love this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HBg3vXRK7nI

The only thing I didn’t like was that the netch leather from the anniversary edition wasn’t being worn by the ashlanders - so I made a patch to fix it and got permission to post it on the nexus…

If I have only used sseedit and the masters are correct I don’t need to worry about cleaning, right? It literally just has 4 records. Hopefully I can get it posted tonight.