As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Go find the new Cyberpunk thread

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/wp-content/uploads-en/2021/11/cd-projekt-group-presentation-q3-2021-results-1.pdf

CDPR made over ~$3 million in profits, below expectations, and are moving on to new [secret] projects whilst hoping to get W3:Ultra Brawndo Gigamax edition and CP2077: 'Please stop hounding us edition' out sometime next year.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    So I finished one of the endings and have 3 of the districts completed. The game is much more stable on my PS4 in the literal meaning of the word, it has only crashed twice in about 20 hours. But from a technical viewpoint the game is deficient in a way I have never actually played before. When I drive from point a to point b I have to intentionally slow down or I will outrun the games ability to render the floor and just fall right through. When I run from a fast travel point to an NPC to do any interaction, I have to wait 30 seconds or more for the textures to load in. It is so painfully bad that I would legitimately be embarrassed to put my name to it. Really hope that whatever big surprise they have waiting for the 1.5 patch is worth it.

It should never have released on the base, last gen consoles. One X and PS4 pro should have been the minimum, but that would have been a massive drop in potential sales.

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    So I finished one of the endings and have 3 of the districts completed. The game is much more stable on my PS4 in the literal meaning of the word, it has only crashed twice in about 20 hours. But from a technical viewpoint the game is deficient in a way I have never actually played before. When I drive from point a to point b I have to intentionally slow down or I will outrun the games ability to render the floor and just fall right through. When I run from a fast travel point to an NPC to do any interaction, I have to wait 30 seconds or more for the textures to load in. It is so painfully bad that I would legitimately be embarrassed to put my name to it. Really hope that whatever big surprise they have waiting for the 1.5 patch is worth it.

It should never have released on the base, last gen consoles. One X and PS4 pro should have been the minimum, but that would have been a massive drop in potential sales.
    And let it never be forgotten that this game was announced before those base, last gen consoles where even out.

That still amazes me. Like, how? How do you do that?

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

And let it never be forgotten that this game was announced before those base, last gen consoles where even out.

Funny thing tho

Even though the game was announced sort of back in 2012 or whatever, the game itself had about 2 years less dev time than W3.

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular

Funny thing tho

Even though the game was announced sort of back in 2012 or whatever, the game itself had about 2 years less dev time than W3.
    True. I want to say don't announce a game, especially with a really showy CG trailer, if you haven't even started making the thing yet. But then I realize Square Enix have been doing that for a while now and no one seems to care. And then I get annoyed.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    THIS ISN'T STEAM THREAD!

Fencingsax on
  • CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Drows wrote: »
    Picked it up in the steam sale, I'm on a good PC and so far things feel mostly functional. Had to restart once because it couldn't change the driving view out of first person, and frequently loot on the ground are not lootable.

Yeah, stuff on the ground you can't pick up is kind of annoying after a while.

It's funny, I returned my copy of Cyberpunk shortly after it came out because I was irritated that a basic function like picking up items wasn't bulletproof. To be fair I was also going through some related work stuff. But I assumed that item pickup would be fixed in a month or two.

It is now almost a year. And I know people have various tolerances for jank, and I'm not begrudging anyone enjoying a game.

But they had almost a year to fix incredibly basic, crucial functionality in a game, and they still haven't managed reliably picking up items. This is crazy, right? How does a company get to this point? Did a lot of people have bonuses riding on whether they marked a feature complete?

Corsini on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I mean, picking things up in a Bethesda game isn't quite 100% either

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

And you need all those wheels of cheese.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's a matter of mesh detection, and with SO MANY items on the ground, it's kind of inevitable that some will just end up positioned JUST SO that you can't get it. Perhaps the collision box of a nearby wall protrudes [invisibly] just far enough to block that pack of cards you're trying to pick up. Or that Samurai LP is ever-so-slightly under the invisible floor mesh. Etc.

It's annoying because it's distracting, but I don't consider it particularly shameful. And I don't expect them to prioritize going through thousands of individually placed items and making sure they're accessible.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    I think what makes it particularly grating is the mismatch between V's AR cues that this is totally an item you can pick up, not just scenery, and then of course you can't.

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's a matter of mesh detection, and with SO MANY items on the ground, it's kind of inevitable that some will just end up positioned JUST SO that you can't get it. Perhaps the collision box of a nearby wall protrudes [invisibly] just far enough to block that pack of cards you're trying to pick up. Or that Samurai LP is ever-so-slightly under the invisible floor mesh. Etc.

It's annoying because it's distracting, but I don't consider it particularly shameful. And I don't expect them to prioritize going through thousands of individually placed items and making sure they're accessible.

I feel like Divinity Original Sin 2 (and a Witcher 3 mod I can't remember the name of) struck a good balance of "show me a list of everything in a certain radius that I can pick up or activate and just let me do it from here." It's a little immersion breaking but IMO better than the alternative.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I’d be a lot more understanding and okay with these clipped items if they weren’t so common.

Also the robots that I can’t loot after having gotten a perk specifically for that purpose.

Fencingsax wrote: »

Talking of Bethesda jank.

You know the old one where you take an item off a table and everything else jumps up a fraction, and drops ?

I had that happen during a cut scene.

The NPC is chatting away, and on a table in the background, everything on it jumps.

I found it oddly charming.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I once had a glorious and entirely game breaking bug in Fallout 3, where I picked an item up off a table and heard a "ca-thunk" sound. I thought nothing of it.

10 hours later, I was looking for a specific bobblehead. I was going mad looking for it and comparing it to a youtube video, where I knew it should have been. It was then and only then that I realized what happened. Ten hours ago, that ca-thunk was the sound of every single object not in a container world wide despawning at exactly the same time. Nothing that was not in a container and was an item no longer existed anywhere in the game world. It takes a while to notice in Fallout 3 because a lot of important stuff is in containers, but by that point I didn't have a save from before the object purge.

I never finished that playthrough as a result.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    So what I'm hearing is that Bethesda has conditioned people to accept horribly broken shit as normal in open world games.

• CornucopiistCornucopiist Registered User regular
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    So what I'm hearing is that Bethesda has conditioned people to accept horribly broken shit as normal in open world games.

I think it's a matter of the state of the art of how many objects and polygons you can push through an engine being ahead of the state of the art of how smart your physics can be.
    I'm about to program about exactly the same thing at a much smaller scale; 1296 flying vehicles that spawn, and then have to position themselves outside of buildings instead of clipping, without that frame (or rolling set of frames) taking twenty seconds.
    It's hard because if I move those vehicles they may stop clipping the object that caused me to move them, but clip another object, or the first one again but at a different angle. I cheat because I don't need those vehicles lying on a very complex surface using gravity, so they can clear objects by a veeery wide margin.
    And I'm using cubes for collision meshes, because I can. And those buildings are simplified and only have a handful of collision cubes.
    If it wasn't on mobile, it would still look like I cut corners because that's what I did.

But having a back alley with clutter lying on top of clutter and when you walk into it there's not even a skip in the framerate?
    Dude, that's magic.

You can have more precision and better placement, but there'll be less clutter or it'll all be boxes on a single infinite plane.
    Picking which tradeoff will outrage a minority of players less, at one point, is a joke. You want to focus on the tradeoff where your game is ahead of the curve and will please a majority of players and you have time left over to weed out the kind of bugs Aegeri is talking about.

But imagine managing a QA team and receiving the script that goes 'go to all locations and pick up all the objects in Night City'. And now imagine being the project manager and forking over the wages to pay for that test run. Corners had to be cut.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

But mostly only in their games. Heaven forbid literally the exact same bug happen in an Obsidian game

steam_sig.png
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    There was a Reddit post were people were complaining that the thing that made them the angriest wasn't the bugs and glitches, it was the missing content. But I feel like they haven't really seen just how dire the game is on a PS4. I get the cut content being a sore point, but even if they had included it, the game would still run and perform like garbage. I guess the question is, would you rather have that extra content and a worse performing game? Or the current barely held together mess? Personally I can't imagine playing the game in a worse state than it launched so I don't even care about the stuff they lied about.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

But mostly only in their games. Heaven forbid literally the exact same bug happen in an Obsidian game

Or a Bioware game.

I mean surely no one would spend weeks trying to dunk on a Bioware game because it had graphical glitches that had utterly no effect on gameplay oh wait ME: Andromeda.

I’m generally fine with graphical bugs like the odd t-pose or a character driving in an invisible sidecar, but when glitches are causing my game to frequently crash or I can’t get the thing I’m clearly supposed to be able to I’m going to get more and more pissed.

That people are making excuses for this is disheartening to say the least.

Spoit wrote: »

In all honesty, New Vegas only ever had a couple of bad ones but they weren’t game breaking for me. The amount of jank I had from Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 in particular was considerable. However I do expect any bethsoft game to be buggier than an ant hill.

Andromeda will always be worth it for the terrible animations not because of the infamous Ryder waking up face - but the utterly so bad it’s hilarious Krogan fight. They don’t even make contact while reacting as if being struck like in a terrible low budget Kung fu movie.

My favourite was being able to push an npc through a wall after the final fight.

I forgive them because of the type of games they make - they create small world's filled with things.

The more things you have, the more that can go wrong.

I'm not a programmer, but I know enough in a general sense to appreciate the scale of what they've made.

Plus I love their games, and that also buys a lots of forgiveness.

Plus I've never had a game breaking bug, or crash that lost me hours of progression, which also helps.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021

I forgive them because of the type of games they make - they create small world's filled with things.

The more things you have, the more that can go wrong.

I'm not a programmer, but I know enough in a general sense to appreciate the scale of what they've made.

Plus I love their games, and that also buys a lots of forgiveness.

Plus I've never had a game breaking bug, or crash that lost me hours of progression, which also helps.

Yeah, no one else really does what Bethesda does, is the thing

They make granular, detailed worlds that you can interact with down to physics on cups and cheese wheels, and then they build that out into an expansive place that you can explore at your leisure! That kind of ambition earns them a bit of leeway in the jank department (at least historically -- after Fallout 76 I think that all but dried up)

Now, CDPR? They have absolutely not earned that leeway

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Fallout 76 wasn't the charming jank of Skyrim or Oblivion, though. It was the worst case scenario for an open world game: Everything monetized, online-only (not even "needs a connection to play" online only, I mean multiplayer only), non-functional features, single player was completely removed (at launch, on purpose, any story with NPCs came after the outcry), and absolutely horrific bugs that made Skyrim seem polished by comparison. Even the pre-order bonuses were misleading junk.

CDPR by comparison shipped a half-working game 2 years earlier than they should have, and flat-out lied on video about what it could do. "There is no game over screen" sticks in my mind pretty prominently.

Fallout 76 wasn't the charming jank of Skyrim or Oblivion, though. It was the worst case scenario for an open world game: Everything monetized, online-only (not even "needs a connection to play" online only, I mean multiplayer only), non-functional features, single player was completely removed (at launch, on purpose, any story with NPCs came after the outcry), and absolutely horrific bugs that made Skyrim seem polished by comparison. Even the pre-order bonuses were misleading junk.

CDPR by comparison shipped a half-working game 2 years earlier than they should have, and flat-out lied on video about what it could do. "There is no game over screen" sticks in my mind pretty prominently.
    The worst part is that it’s pretty clear all the heavy lifting with the game’s mission structure was done in the first act with everything after that being of ever diminishing quality

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

How was everything monetized in FO76? You could play through all the content without spending anything, and at release the cash shop items were purely cosmetic. Even now they have some convenience items in the shop, but none of it is even remotely required.

5gsowHm.png
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    As soon as anyone else makes a big open world game full of tiny details that I just want to live in for thousands of hours and does it without bugs i'll start side-eying Bethesda for it. But QA is one of those "Good, Cheap, Quick. Pick two." situations.

Cyberpunk is one of those games, but, well, y'know.

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    As a person that can not pass an item without picking it up, Bethesda and CDPR games kill my inventory

50433.png?1708759015
    edited December 2021
    Syngyne wrote: »

How was everything monetized in FO76? You could play through all the content without spending anything, and at release the cash shop items were purely cosmetic. Even now they have some convenience items in the shop, but none of it is even remotely required.

Private worlds were pay, and later they introduced things like the fridge, scrap collector, and repair kits that were seen as P2W.

You call it "Convenience", I call it disguised XP booster scam shit. Design a game around those being pain points/bad times and then selling the solution for $5 is not excusable. Maybe if the game was free and not $70, then it could be seen as the only revenue stream.

jungleroomx on
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Having put in a bunch of hours on the Game Pass version I can say I haven't paid a dime and still got a decent (modern) Fallout experience out of it much real impact on progression, combat or other aspect of its design (you can also just use scrap to repair things like a normal person). The only thing that really annoys me is the gating of a bunch of cosmetic versions of building parts, like floors and walls that don't look like shit
    From what little I saw of the marketing at E3 feels like it was billed as the thing it exactly was - a multiplayer version of Fallout? A single player version of the game already existed, it was called Fallout 4. Like yeah 76 was probably dogshit at launch like every other Bethesda game compounded by the fact it was the first multiplayer thing on its engine, but after playing it this year I find some of the melodrama around it kinda weird.

This is in opposition to watching CDPR just making up footage out of assets for trailers and feeling really quite whelmed after paying big cash dollar money for it

edited December 2021
    Was that well after all the patches and such though? It's easy to say something was okay when you're playing it well after all of it was fixed. Cyberpunk 2077 will have this day as well remember.

Also don't forget when people figured out how to clip into a developer only room in Fallout 76 and get all the best stuff/equipment instantly to become murder gods on whatever server they were on.

Aegeri on
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I touched Cyberpunk after the first few major patches came out and per my recount I lucked out and I didn't actually come across much of the technical issues that the game had at launch (didn't engage in crafting so no broken saves to complain about, minimal bugs etc.) My point was less to do with technical issues and more to do with content (contrasted with what the marketing promised), since my experience with both games were largely untarnished by Jank Shit

That's also my point: Fallout 76 has had several large updates. On release the content in the game sucked as well.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    I played cyberpunk on release and had it crash out maybe twice in 40ish hours? A bunch of weapons fell through the ground, but still less janky than every fallout I've played.

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    That's also my point: Fallout 76 has had several large updates. On release the content in the game sucked as well.

This is... Tangential to the thread, but I'd argue a matter of interpretation. On release, 76 was a game I thought sounded interesting, exactly because "no NPCs and usual Fallout business", and primarily just exploring the wastes. Which is my favorite part of Fallout, the exploring. After all the updates, it's now something I've got no urge to engage with, because the interesting (to me) aspects have been stripped away and it's now just "A Fallout".

Same with NMS. I was actually really, really interested in the OG concept/implementation, and after all the "fixing" it's just... Bleh, bog-standard base builder in space. Woo. Obviously others disagree/disagreed, but still.

tl;dr I always feel like a lot of what gets called "bad" is actually "I don't like", and it's unfair to tar a thing with an objective label based on a subjective preference. (And the oft-repeated "It's okay to like bad things" really doesn't help that. A "bad thing" is the 3 am Jack in the Box taco, nobody's even pretending there, and you're damn right I'll go for a stack of them around that hour. But I would be out of line saying "tacos are bad" if I just didn't like tacos.)

I think the problem with discourse in general today is that it's supposed to be unspoken universal knowledge that when someone quantifies something they consume with "X is bad" they're expressing their opinion that they percieve something is bad
    But to me it feels like often people's awareness of that can be tenuous at best and they start touting subjective perception as factual gospel, especially when surrounded by agreement

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I think the problem with discourse in general today is that it's supposed to be unspoken universal knowledge that when someone quantifies something they consume with "X is bad" they're expressing their opinion that they percieve something is bad
    But to me it feels like often people's awareness of that can be tenuous at best and they start touting subjective perception as factual gospel, especially when surrounded by agreement

To an extent. But there's also, I feel, an incentive; not a good one, either. Compare:

"This is bad, you need to fix it."

"I don't like this, you need to fix it."

If you get more of your way by phrasing your preferences as objective reality, many, many, many people will just... Do so. See also "broken", where yeah sure, sometimes the thing is! And sometimes it just didn't do the thing the person wanted, so obviously is defective. (Anyone who has had to work retail and accept returns understands this entirely.)

dporowski on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    @Fleeb

Got the latest version of the rebalance and, while its... uhh not easy to select difficulty (in order to really select difficulty you need to change files in the mod, which is just text file swapping/editing but its not that bad. I am not sure the main chosen difficulty levels actually do anything anymore but maybe they do i don't know) its pretty damned fixed.

Not only that but crafting is also fixed in that

"Upgrading an item" moves it up one tier. This means that, so long as an item as a competitive armor value for an item of its tier... you can just upgrade it to legendary if you have the appropriate perks (and if you can't, non-legendary equipment is... not even that bad since each tier only adds ~5%). This works for any item in the game. So you can just... find things that you like how they look* and then upgrade them to be top quality.

Blades are still OP (and probably blunt once you get the lynx paws) because of the "+400% armor bonus when moving" perk. (but might be pretty difficult without it, maybe only upgrade that one half way)

Its not perfect. But... its also almost entirely fixed and pretty well removed most of the "things don't work/aren't balanced" portion of the game.

*again as long as it has a competitive armor value, looking at you wolf jacket

wbBv3fj.png