As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MCU Movies] Thor: Love and Thunder hits on July 8 CLOSED SPOILERS

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I opened up the Alamo Drafthouse app immediately upon arrival of the email indicating No Way Home tickets were now available. The only non-front-row pairs of seats available that Thursday or Friday were already at the 11:15pm show Thursday or 5pm Friday, so COVID omicron is apparently not putting much of a dent in enthusiasm yet.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Saw y'all talking about it and scooped a ticket. Might be the last time I get to see a movie in theaters for a while given how things are headed so...

• Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    If anyone has not considered the Guardians of the Galaxy game because it's from the same publisher as the Avengers shitshow, give it a go. It's based on the comics so there is tonnes of lore and cameos and the scope is huge. The writing is really solid and they've got the humor down really well. It's technically unsound, had a lot of glitches though nothing gamebreaking and characters skip dialogue if you walk too far, but it's a brilliant comic book adventure. I'd say it's better than Spider-Man PS4 in terms of being a comic book game, but the combat is significantly worse.

And it's on crazy sale right now -- I think some places has it as low as $25. I'm guessing the game's sales suffered hard from Avengers poisoning the well.

Also it's apparently hot garbage on PS4, so I await the day I get a PS5.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    Ikaris wasn't King in the North. That was the other boyfriend.

ikaris is played by the actor who played Rob Stark, who was King in the North. Dane is played by Kit Harrington, who went north to take the black but he never held that title, which was reserved for the actual ruler of House Stark.

edit: it does make their interactions in the movie really, really funny though.

edit edit: or he may have held it later? I am not sure, but Robb is the first:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL-kJ04HApg

I entirely forgot that Richard Madden was also Robb Stark. For some reason I thought Ikaris was played by the same (well-preserved) person who played Cyclops in X-Men, which made the laser eyes funny. But that is James Marsden, and I am apparently high.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I know Richard Madden from some english bodyguard series that started off ok then kind of goes to shit and just does all the stuff you expect. He was ok in it at the start!

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Nosf wrote: »
    I know Richard Madden from some english bodyguard series that started off ok then kind of goes to shit and just does all the stuff you expect. He was ok in it at the start!

that show is wild in how suddenly it careens with extreme velocity off the tracks

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    https://www.theverge.com/2021/11/29/22807636/tom-holland-spider-man-trilogy-marvel-mcu-sony-pictures-amy-pascal

No Way Home appears to not be the end of Tom Holland as Spider-Man, or the end of him as part of the MCU
    “This is not the last movie that we are going to make with Marvel — [this is not] the last Spider-Man movie. We are getting ready to make the next Spider-Man movie with Tom Holland and Marvel, it just isn’t part of… we’re thinking of this as three films, and now we’re going to go onto the next three. This is not the last of our MCU movies,” Pascal said.

“Marvel and Sony are going to keep going together as partners,” she added.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Cool to hear but uh... I kinda don't trust Sony when it comes to this stuff? Know that's weird to say when it comes to properties this vast, like surely Marvel and Sony are completely dialled in here, but there's a vibe that they don't actually fucking talk to each other?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Cool to hear but uh... I kinda don't trust Sony when it comes to this stuff? Know that's weird to say when it comes to properties this vast, like surely Marvel and Sony are completely dialled in here, but there's a vibe that they don't actually fucking talk to each other?

I mean there's nothing you can't expect Amy Pascal to fuck up. She's been fucking up for decades and I'm always amazed she's still employed following her e-mail leaks. She has, by fortune, overseen franchises like Spider-Man and she only cares how much she can milk it for, she has no care for art or consistency or anything high-end (see Venom), it's there to be exploited and she can presumably do that indefinitely unless there is some caveat I'm unaware of that will eventually revert the Spider-Man rights to Disney regardless.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

I mean there's nothing you can't expect Amy Pascal to fuck up. She's been fucking up for decades and I'm always amazed she's still employed following her e-mail leaks. She has, by fortune, overseen franchises like Spider-Man and she only cares how much she can milk it for, she has no care for art or consistency or anything high-end (see Venom), it's there to be exploited and she can presumably do that indefinitely unless there is some caveat I'm unaware of that will eventually revert the Spider-Man rights to Disney regardless.

On the one hand, she's got to report to higher-ups at Sony AND Marvel, so she can be overruled if necessary.

On the other, presales for the latest movie were so strong that theater sites briefly crashed and scalpers are reportedly selling tickets for thousands of dollars, so I'm pretty sure there will be some motivation for everyone to keep going.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I'm really curious what direction they'll go with for 3 new movies.

And if that includes a Spidey/Venom cross over that has to happen eventually.

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    I'd go with the next 3 being about Pete transitioning from "rookie kid surrounded by more experienced people" to "elder of the new class of heroes". If they actually follow through with the Young Avengers then Pete would be perfect as the guy all the new kids look up to while he has to deal with suddenly being the old guy. Plus, that gives them room to work in Miles down the line too.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I have watched the Shang-Chi.

Shang-Chi is a beautiful fucking movie. Not even just relative to the rest of the MCU but in general just a beautiful movie.

• Options
    I think both Shang Chi and Eternals were really good albeit in different ways, I like the more character focused way the MCU is trending right now

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I think both Shang Chi and Eternals were really good albeit in different ways, I like the more character focused way the MCU is trending right now

I enjoyed Shang-Chi a lot even if it descends into a CGI Dragonball slugfest at the end, but I'll watch Awkwafina in pretty much anything, so I'm probably biased. Fun fights focusing heavily on acrobatics and movement over big haymaker punchy punchy boom. Humor was solid if a little uneven, everybody had fun stuff to do, it was super neat seeing all those Kirin and other mythical creatures, Razorfist got to be funny despite just being the big dumb guy.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    @Blarghy May want to spoil that just in case.

• Options
    I think Shang Chi is open spoilers now that it's on D+, but if people wanna spoil it go for it

• Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    @Blarghy May want to spoil that just in case.

I'm pretty sure GOT is past the spoiler date.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I'd go with the next 3 being about Pete transitioning from "rookie kid surrounded by more experienced people" to "elder of the new class of heroes". If they actually follow through with the Young Avengers then Pete would be perfect as the guy all the new kids look up to while he has to deal with suddenly being the old guy. Plus, that gives them room to work in Miles down the line too.

Young Avengers is very clearly coming up. Peter taking a Stark/Rogers type leadership role in that group would make sense given he’s far more experienced than any of them.

• Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Saw Venom 2 this weekend and it was bad! Not all bad, but pretty fucking bad!
    Hardy and the supporting cast (minus Woody) are all still pretty fucking great in this. Everything else? Awful.

Movie felt like it was filmed to be a hard R and got edited down to a PG - which is a tough space to do a movie about a psychotic serial-killing symbiote that wants to watch the world burn. Honestly, my biggest gripe is with the Venom character itself. I hate him. I also have a hard time understanding what he's saying half the time.

Where they left things is interesting though and if they make good on the tease, well, I'll watch another one of these dumb things.

This mirrors exactly how I felt. I enjoyed the first movie even though it was hardly great, and I was crazy excited for Carnage, who's... barely a factor at all.

Which is sad, because Harrelson does a GREAT job as Carnage. Every time he spoke, he sounded exactly like I imagined.

If she does that again, I'll EAT HER FACE.

"Sounds like that would be painful for her.

For You."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Welp, nevermind, time to keep milking Peter Parker after all :3
    https://screencrush.com/tom-holland-confirmed-return-more-spider-man-movies/
    While speaking with Fandango, Pascal broke the news that while Spider-Man: No Way Home is the end of the current "Homecoming" trilogy, there's still more in store for Peter, and as a result, also actor Tom Holland. "This is not the last movie that we are going to make with Marvel - [this is not] the last Spider-Man movie," started Pascal, adding, "We are getting ready to make the next Spider-Man movie with Tom Holland and Marvel. We're thinking of this as three films, and now we're going to go onto the next three. This is not the last of our MCU movies." She also confirmed that Sony will continue on with Marvel as part of the ongoing partnership.

Edit: Oh this was already posted, I missed it :3

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Yup, thats what the MCU does, milk every character until it becomes unusable. Like there is no way someone else can play Steve Rogers, or Tony Stark. Luckily Spiderman has enjoyed a much longer lifespan, by not being part of the MCU since its inception, lets hope that doesnt change.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    RDJ played Iron Man for a decade, that's a huge chunk of someone's life spent playing the same character. We've only had MCU Spidey for 6 years or so now.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    Yup, thats what the MCU does, milk every character until it becomes unusable. Like there is no way someone else can play Steve Rogers, or Tony Stark. Luckily Spiderman has enjoyed a much longer lifespan, by not being part of the MCU since its inception, lets hope that doesnt change.

I'm actually OK with the MCU burning through characters like they're doing. I'd rather them having to scrounge around for a random C-lister or developing a new tech guy with armor from scratch than recycling and recasting Tony Stark over and over again. There's Stark's daughter and the rando barn kid from IM3, let the power armor concept rest for a few years and then let one of them be the next Iron Man.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    daveNYC wrote: »

I'm actually OK with the MCU burning through characters like they're doing. I'd rather them having to scrounge around for a random C-lister or developing a new tech guy with armor from scratch than recycling and recasting Tony Stark over and over again. There's Stark's daughter and the rando barn kid from IM3, let the power armor concept rest for a few years and then let one of them be the next Iron Man.

I mean, when all the stories are intertwined, and the characters are so tied to their actors, there is no other choice.
    That´s why I mentioned in the context of Spiderman, that has gone through several rebirths, but will definitely get drained and discarded if it becomes a Disney property.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Retiring characters the way the MCU is doing is absolutely better than the comic bullshit of every death being a clone or LMD or reversed by a magic wish.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to No Way Home but, honestly, between the MCU ones, Garfield, and Maguire I've seen enough movies about Peter Parker. If Holland were done after this one I'd rather see some other character I haven't seen 8 films about get a shot than re-cast the character.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

I mean, when all the stories are intertwined, and the characters are so tied to their actors, there is no other choice.
    That´s why I mentioned in the context of Spiderman, that has gone through several rebirths, but will definitely get drained and discarded if it becomes a Disney property.

So, we’re nearing the 9th movie starring Spider-Man, but Disney would be the studio to drain the character and discard it?

This doesn’t make sense to me. If anything Spider-Man is currently riding high because of Disney, not in spite of them.

• Options
    Marathon wrote: »

So, we’re nearing the 9th movie starring Spider-Man, but Disney would be the studio to drain the character and discard it?

This doesn’t make sense to me. If anything Spider-Man is currently riding high because of Disney, not in spite of them.

Captain America and Iron Man, etc. you can claim that Disney made them as popular as they are, Spiderman was always popular, thats like saying that Snyder made Batman popular.

And by draining and discarding them, I mean that because of how the MCU works (one continuos story), the characters they use are finite, they milked their first batch of avengers and now they have to "retire" the characters, eventhough there is a million stories that could be told about them.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Retiring and accepting the aging of characters makes them feel more real and grounded in a way franchises have never really taken the opportunity to do organically.

Like, seeing Bruce Banner in the promos for She-Hulk being greying and middle-age kinda sells all the bullshit he’s been through. He’s got the heft of years and hard experience. The last thing I want to see is Marvel trying to convince us all these visibly aging characters are invulnerable Olympians (Eternals excluded).

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    After a pause of a few years, I'd posit the majority of the public would accept a recasting if the trailer didn't look like shit.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular

We also know they are working on Ironheart coming up too, so even that concept is not gone for long.

• Options
    Atomika wrote: »
    Retiring and accepting the aging of characters makes them feel more real and grounded in a way franchises have never really taken the opportunity to do organically.

Like, seeing Bruce Banner in the promos for She-Hulk being greying and middle-age kinda sells all the bullshit he’s been through. He’s got the heft of years and hard experience. The last thing I want to see is Marvel trying to convince us all these visibly aging characters are invulnerable Olympians (Eternals excluded).

Well Spiderman has been a teen since the early 60s, Captain america since the 40s, and so on, this characters ARE ageless olympians, in the sense that they havent been tied to a single story or timeline, they have been changing with every new writter. That has made those characters famous and popular enough to become what they are, tying them to a single story, a single actor, and getting rid of them is super stupid. The MCU will have to do a universe reset sooner or later, just like comics did everytime they wanted to settle all of their properties into a single, shared universe.

• Options
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    After a pause of a few years, I'd posit the majority of the public would accept a recasting if the trailer didn't look like shit.

Probably, but I do like the current system where Steve retires and Sam picks up the mantle of Captain America, or Thor and Jane, etc. People change and grow, and part of that growth, eventually will be putting down the shield/hammer/<iconic thing they use to wield power>. Otherwise you end up with something like Batman where it Just. Keeps. Going.

• Options

Well Spiderman has been a teen since the early 60s, Captain america since the 40s, and so on, this characters ARE ageless olympians, in the sense that they havent been tied to a single story or timeline, they have been changing with every new writter. That has made those characters famous and popular enough to become what they are, tying them to a single story, a single actor, and getting rid of them is super stupid. The MCU will have to do a universe reset sooner or later, just like comics did everytime they wanted to settle all of their properties into a single, shared universe.

I can only say I disagree entirely and wholeheartedly

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited December 2021

Probably, but I do like the current system where Steve retires and Sam picks up the mantle of Captain America, or Thor and Jane, etc. People change and grow, and part of that growth, eventually will be putting down the shield/hammer/<iconic thing they use to wield power>. Otherwise you end up with something like Batman where it Just. Keeps. Going.

This shit used to always bother me in the comics but it feels fine here. Maybe cuz I actually watched these movies vs just hearing about the comics stuff. It's less annoying if you'd had like 10+ years with the character first rather then out of the blue "we're replacing your favorite character with someone else" :3

Though I'm still a bigger fan of just doing new heroes over keeping the names across multiple people (it sometimes feels like they don't have enough confidence in their characters to sell them without slapping a big name on there for brand recognition or whatever)

Edit: It also helps when you mix in all the multiverse stuff so your favorite characters still exist *somewhere*

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options

Marvel has literally thousands of characters to work with. Why is it bad to retire the heavy hitters and lift up some new names into the public consciousness?

Forget it...
  • Options

As well, we’ve had a jillion Batman offerings and not a single one has said a goddamn thing about the gross cultural politics the Batman fantasy plays into

Whatever your thoughts are on the handling of it, Marvel has dived right into the cultural divide over diversity and equality with their offerings

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Warlock82 wrote: »

This shit used to always bother me in the comics but it feels fine here. Maybe cuz I actually watched these movies vs just hearing about the comics stuff. It's less annoying if you'd had like 10+ years with the character first rather then out of the blue "we're replacing your favorite character with someone else" :3

Though I'm still a bigger fan of just doing new heroes over keeping the names across multiple people (it sometimes feels like they don't have enough confidence in their characters to sell them without slapping a big name on there for brand recognition or whatever)

Edit: It also helps when you mix in all the multiverse stuff so your favorite characters still exist *somewhere*

I think the mantle-passing works in the movies because it's actually, you know, final. We can be pretty confident that Chris Evans isn't going to one day get a dumptruck of Disney money and decide to be Cap again.

In the comics they'll introduce a legacy character but the original character is still knocking around the whole time because they're popular, and maybe the OG will be dead for a bit, but they'll eventually come back and get all the plot focus again, and the legacy character isn't really given much of a chance to grow outside of the OG's shadow. I also don't like legacy characters in comics because the way they introduce them often times feels wholly inorganic and like a cheap knockoff. But the development of Sam from Falcon to Cap in the MCU feels genuine.

Reznik on
    Forget it...
  • Options
    Reznik wrote: »

Marvel has literally thousands of characters to work with. Why is it bad to retire the heavy hitters and lift up some new names into the public consciousness?

Honestly, while it might shut down some storylines, it also opens up the old classic 'how do I live up to the legacy of the person whose gig I'm taking over'. Plus you can add in complications due to familial or relationship connections to the original, or have them be complete randos with society as a whole not thinking they can get the job done. It's not the most subtle of plots, but outside of Winter Soldier the MCU's strength has been characters, not super twisty plots. Write a good character, then come up with a reason to shove them into the spandex, Bob's your uncle.

This discussion has been closed.