As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox] Another Big Sale to see out this thread!

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Last may, to celebrate getting the Jab, I picked up Drug Dealer Simulator.

Today, to celebrate getting a Boost, I want a new drug. Gladius get!

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    The S is certainly doing better than I thought it would. Honestly, I bought one for my stepson as an early Christmas present after his Xbox one crapped out and I see the appeal now. Runs very smooth and is super tiny.

For the price difference and still getting stuff like a quick resume, it's a steal.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Its just variations of Stallone films
    Sony names their consoles like Rocky.
    MS names their consoles like Rambo.

Ah yes. I too enjoy Rocky Balboa Pro, which was a much-needed relaunch of the series after Rocky V.

But Rambo Series X? Hmmm. Well, it's got a better name than New Expendables 2XL, at least.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Disco11 wrote: »
    The S is certainly doing better than I thought it would. Honestly, I bought one for my stepson as an early Christmas present after his Xbox one crapped out and I see the appeal now. Runs very smooth and is super tiny.

For the price difference and still getting stuff like a quick resume, it's a steal.

If only it had an optical disc drive. Even as an external add-on!

(I may be an outlier here. In my defence, I'm old.)

Jazz on
  • Options
    Jazz wrote: »

I avoid physical games like the plague. I'm all digital, baby!

And I have an X ;)

• Options

"You want a small console, or you want one with an optical drive? Huh?"

Honestly, it's not that much hyperbole--the Series S is small. An internal optical drive would, in fact, make it substantially larger. "Size of the hardware" is a very specific grievance too. But I own a Pioneer USB 3.1 UHD drive (that....might be able to play UHD films? It plays blurays, god, PC-side disc players are such a nightmare); there really is no technological limitation to making such a drive work with a Series S over one of the USB ports. It would be more than capable of installing media, much less reading games for licensing purposes.

Well, except that a bunch of people would bitch about "Why would Microsoft release this?" and ruin it for everyone else, because we can't have nice things.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Onechanbara is a weird game. It’s like the timing on the combo system is interesting but also doesn’t really flow, and moving in and out of attacks and groups of zombies isn’t intuitive and sometimes pressing jump and then attack will do a helicopter spin and sometimes it’s just a straight forward vertical slash and sometimes enemies grab your sword or you get knocked down and the way the game reacts it seems like button mashing should speed up recovery but I’m not sure if that’s actually true because there’s no change to the recovery animation that I can see.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    The second Nintendo dropped the name 'Wii' should leave no doubt that they dropped the ball.

SONY may, more or less, have the naming convention down, but they more than make up for it in bad hardware design choices.

Nobody is perfect here.

Nintendo knocked it out of the park naming the Gamecube, though. It's a cube that plays games. Perfect.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    The second Nintendo dropped the name 'Wii' should leave no doubt that they dropped the ball.

SONY may, more or less, have the naming convention down, but they more than make up for it in bad hardware design choices.

Nobody is perfect here.

Nintendo knocked it out of the park naming the Gamecube, though. It's a cube that plays games. Perfect.

The first Microsoft was, exactly, a box with an X on it

1920px-Xbox-console.jpg

Disco11 on
  • Options
    Check and mate.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    That would only make sense if the Xbox also boxed! It'd still probably win in a fight against me though.

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    I was writing a long post about how game pass is so great and is making it very tempting to get a Series X over a PS5, if only anything was in stock which it probably won't be because you know with worldwide shipping delays, Xmas and all that...

Anyway a restock alert popped on twitter and now I have a Series X en route.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Its just variations of Stallone films
    Sony names their consoles like Rocky.
    MS names their consoles like Rambo.

Ah yes. I too enjoy Rocky Balboa Pro, which was a much-needed relaunch of the series after Rocky V.

But Rambo Series X? Hmmm. Well, it's got a better name than New Expendables 2XL, at least.

Rocky/PlayStation
    Rocky/PlayStation 2
    Rocky/PlayStation 3
    Rocky/PlayStation 4
    Rocky/PlayStation 5

First Blood/Xbox
    Rambo: First Blood Part Two/Xbox 360
    Rambo 3/ Xbox One
    Rambo/Xbox Series

:P

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, if you do gamepass on PC, Amazon's had 3 month passes for $15 apiece on and off for the past couple days. $5/month is a pretty good price, imo. I stocked up til May 2023.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options

Nobody is perfect here.

The first Microsoft was, exactly, a box with an X on it

1920px-Xbox-console.jpg

A friend of mine did once point out (in the PS1 era) that the PlayStation was a station that you play on.

The "Engrish" aspect of the name seemed to pass him by... him and many others, I think! Or maybe it was just me, but it always struck me as slightly Engrish.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    product naming is always just a gong show. That's the one thing I credit Sony on. The most recent playtation is the PS5, which replaced the 4, which replaced the 3, and so on.

Microsoft got to their stupid names because they didn't want to have the "Xbox 2" on a shelf beside the Playstation 3. So we got the Xbox 360. Then we got the Xbox One because it was supposed to be the "one device" you need, hence the name. Now the Xbox Series. I have no idea what they do once it is time to start upgrading that hardware. Xbox Series X2? New Xbox Series X?

really, maybe they should just start putting years in the names. So the Series X is the Series X (2020), and then when it needs an upgrade, you have the Xbox Series X (2023) or whatever year it is.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Because successive consoles with unrelated names had always been a bad thing.

• Options
    Phil made a bit of a thing before the Series name(s) was/were announced that they were really happy with what they'd settled on for it and how it'd be great for them going forward.

I have absolutely no idea how they go forward with that, and it really makes me wonder what names they rejected.

• Options
    Mini-fridge and Black Spot.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Here's a first world question for you folks, even by this thread's ultra high definition standards:

I've got a new TV, and a new soundbar. Is anyone else running their Series X to their TV via their sound bar's HDMI eARC? I ended up just plugging my soundbar into my TV via HDMI (eARC) to try and get Dolby Atmos (and losing an HDMI port, which is one of the reasons I always kind of thought HDMI ARC was dumb). And it works just fine, HDMI CEC works and everything, but I noticed bad latency (delay) when using Dolby Atmos. Dolby Digital is not as bad, and Uncompressed Stereo and 5.1 are basically fine (but this is a 3.1.2 soundbar).

This seems to be a longstanding issue, at least with LG soundbars: Dolby Atmos has bad delay (though not in movies, it would seem; just gaming). In theory, using the soundbar as the receiver and a bridge to the TV can fix the audio delay. But of course, it wouldn't be remotely surprising if you paid a price in terms of the video, whether latency or something else, even with the soundbar having HDCP 2.2 (2.3?) support.

In the end of the day, I might just want to wait for LG and Xbox to patch this out (if they ever do), or accept I won't get Dolby Atmos without unacceptable levels of delay (or buy a cheaper soundbar if all I'm getting is Stereo Uncompressed), but I wanted to see if anyone else ran into this.

I'm using a non-HDMI 2.1 TV (LG B7) and a Samsung soundbar (Q950A) - I'm seeing a lot of reports of audio delays with this soundbar over eARC as well, specifically with Atmos content from the Xbox. Apparently the way the Xbox encodes it is unusual, or something?

In my situation it was an easy call, my TV only has ARC (not eARC) and since the TV doesn't do any of the HDMI 2.1 stuff I don't lose anything by routing it through the HDMI 2.0 soundbar, so I actually have the PS5 and XSX both plugged into it. DolbyVision and everything passes through no problem. If your newfangled TV is HDMI2.1, you'd be sacrificing 4k120FPS gameplay doing it that way but I'm pretty sure that's it, and honestly not many games sound like they do that well enough to make it a meaningful sacrifice. I don't have a TV with VRR but a quick search is showing that works fine through my soundbar, would have to check to see if yours passes it through as well.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Grabbed some stuff: MK11 (entertaining) RE2, 3 and whatever the online thing in the bundle is (yet to look at) and DOA6 (aaaaah yeah this looks like 360 era bad, maybe time to see if I can get a refund).

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Phil made a bit of a thing before the Series name(s) was/were announced that they were really happy with what they'd settled on for it and how it'd be great for them going forward.

I have absolutely no idea how they go forward with that, and it really makes me wonder what names they rejected.

We're going to see the Series E inside the next five years, mark my words.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Was gonna complain in the Sony thread but don't care enough

So my roommate got a PS5 and tossed it in the living room for everyone to use. I decided to play some Miles Morales. I saw on the login page you could login via QR code so I did that and used my phone to sign into my PSN. Played about 3-4 hours of Spidey, saved and quit.

Come back several hours later, try to login in and... My account is gone, not on the PS5. Nobody touched it. Apparently I temporarily logged in and it auto logged me out/deleted my save? I'm so confused why that's even a thing. I've never been so confused in my life. Why even have this mode? What is functionally different than being a Guest account? And because I don't have PS Plus, no cloud saves. What in the...

This is why I like xbox, never had this issue once

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Are they just called the Xbox Series?

Yeah, they are.

Should've gone with the original proposed name: New Xbox One XL and 2XL.

Just throwing this out here...

The next generation of Xbox is just called ... Xbox

After 360 and One, I think they're just kind of rebooting the name.

"You want a small console, or you want one with an optical drive? Huh?"

Honestly, it's not that much hyperbole--the Series S is small. An internal optical drive would, in fact, make it substantially larger. "Size of the hardware" is a very specific grievance too. But I own a Pioneer USB 3.1 UHD drive (that....might be able to play UHD films? It plays blurays, god, PC-side disc players are such a nightmare); there really is no technological limitation to making such a drive work with a Series S over one of the USB ports. It would be more than capable of installing media, much less reading games for licensing purposes.

Well, except that a bunch of people would bitch about "Why would Microsoft release this?" and ruin it for everyone else, because we can't have nice things.

This was the fifth thing on my list of things I wanted out of the new consoles.

Fate conspired in a strange way, though. We got a 4K TV that Black Friday, and my wife managed to nab a Series X for me a few months later. (I love her.)

Still, I think it would be a good thing to have out there for the more loyal fans for which the Series S is a better fit.

So my roommate got a PS5 and tossed it in the living room for everyone to use. I decided to play some Miles Morales. I saw on the login page you could login via QR code so I did that and used my phone to sign into my PSN. Played about 3-4 hours of Spidey, saved and quit.

Come back several hours later, try to login in and... My account is gone, not on the PS5. Nobody touched it. Apparently I temporarily logged in and it auto logged me out/deleted my save? I'm so confused why that's even a thing. I've never been so confused in my life. Why even have this mode? What is functionally different than being a Guest account? And because I don't have PS Plus, no cloud saves. What in the...

Well, that sounds just great. I've had my own problems unique to PlayStation accounts lately, good to know there's another thing to watch out for.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Are they just called the Xbox Series?

Yeah, they are.

Should've gone with the original proposed name: New Xbox One XL and 2XL.

Just throwing this out here...

The next generation of Xbox is just called ... Xbox

After 360 and One, I think they're just kind of rebooting the name.

More or less. Effectively, Microsoft is attempting what Sony did more than a decade ago (when they still cared about Playstation Now, and the non-console set-top incarnations of their technology like PS TV). They still need to actually communicate hardware distinction though, especially since they (claimed) they would continue to support the Xbox One (they don't have the same such issue with Xbox 360); in that case, they've used "Xbox Series" or, more superflously, "Series X and S" (almost never the other way around). It was part of the reason why they redesignated the "Xbox Live online ecosystem" to just "Xbox online ecosystem," even if that meant cutting a line with the nostalgia of that first incarnation the network; except surprisingly (or perhaps not), most people barely noticed.

• Options

I can see if your buddy comes over and wants to play COD with you locally. But I didn't even realize you could login with a QR code lol.

• Options
    edited November 2021

Being charitable, it's possible that the cloud save functionality simply broke at a later point--for example, after you stopped playing, or even after that--rather than this being a thing by design.

Or it really was just badly designed. My PSN account has literally only existed on two pieces of hardware (neither of which are compatible with one another); I've never attempted to load it on a console I didn't already own, so I have no idea how effectively that works. After the world shut down, I was a lot less likely to put my Xbox Live profile elsewhere either, but I have done it.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    If you're not paid up, does it let you save to the CLOUD(!) on PSN? I think at some point, Xbox did (a gig or so) and PSN didn't. (sad trombone)

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    yeah I'm pretty sure Sony keeps cloud saves behind the PS+ paywall. It is literally the only reason I keep paying for PS+, since I almost never play my PS4 anymore.

Nintendo also puts cloud saves behind the (albeit much cheaper) paywall.

Microsoft is the only one of the "big 3" that has free cloud saves for all. And there used to be a storage limit on it, there isn't anymore. Just play your games, and the save syncs to the cloud.

Edit: Steam does cloud save sync as well, though I'm talking more about the consoles here.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Steam is also on a game-by-game basis, as I understand it, unlike Xbox on console (but...like Xbox on PC? Because games can opt out?).

• Options
    I just wish it had been more explicit about the "we will delete your account and save if you step away" bit because it wasn't clear at all. I'm almost certain I clicked "Add Profile to Console" option and not the guest log in, as they only had two options and I'm not stupid enough to actually select the Guest option. Somehow it must have flipped to the guest option in the sign in process, maybe because I used the QR option? Idk.

In any case, for community Xbox devices there's an option to put a pin on your account. So we have a One X in the living room too and my account is on there, just passcode protected. I can hop on there and all my streaming accounts are there. I'd had hoped to do the same thing but with my PSN, and yet somehow I lost 4 hours of progress in a 10 hour game. I'm just kinda soured on it now and thinking about just putting it down for now.

• Options
    Yeah, the fact that it didn't even keep it locally--much less make it available online--was what led me to think it might've been a glitch.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Tip for anyone like me who does the gamepass token things instead of downloading all 180 gigs of marvel avengers to get the checklist just boot it up in the cloud gaming option

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Ff13-2 coming to Gamepass tomorrow. Guess I should finally get around to finishing up the first one.

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    Tip for anyone like me who does the gamepass token things instead of downloading all 180 gigs of marvel avengers to get the checklist just boot it up in the cloud gaming option

That thing is as big as RDR2 and CP2077 put together?

Why?

• Options

Why?

Gotta fit those microtransactions in there somehow!

• Options
    To be fair CP2077 has a lot of cut content so, it's smaller than it should be :wink:

• Options

Why?

Disney and Marvel expect no less. Remember when "three hour movie with the post-credit scene" was actually really unusual?

• Options

Why?

Disney and Marvel expect no less. Remember when "three hour movie with the post-credit scene" was actually really unusual?

I realised the other day that both Judge Dredd (the Stallone one from 1995) and Dredd (the Karl Urban one from 2012) are within a minute of each other in total runtime - and each is only just over an hour and a half long, including credits. The contrast with so many modern movies, Marvel ones in particular, was one I thought of, definitely!

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »

Why?

Gotta fit those microtransactions in there somehow!

F2P/MTX cruft can take up a shitload of space. It's not escaped my notice that Rocket League on Xbox One is now just shy of 30GB.