As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [NHL] Thread - On Dadanov’s No-Trade List

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Tristan Jarry has allowed 1 or less goals in his last 6 starts.

Now we just gotta figure out how to turn the offense on

And figure out how to get Tristan Jarry to remember how to play goalie in the playoffs.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Less than 1 hour after the twins that run the EvolvingHockey twitter account and website tweeted about how it "feels like we are due for a goal from center ice. Haven't seen one of those in a while"

...well, you can probably guess the rest

• Options
    This is some pretty good shade being thrown by.... uhhhh... statistics?

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I may have missed a news bite. Did something happen with Jim Benning? Steve Dangle hinted at it but I may just be confusing news items.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Not yet unfortunately

:so_raven:
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

wholesome

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
  • Options
    I'm sure nothing bad will happen if we just leave Austin Matthews completely alone in front of the net for 5 seconds

• Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    oldmanken wrote: »
    I can assure you, it is not.

• Options
    I don't watch any oilers hockey games, but it feels like McDavid is starting to understand that he is gonna get the Crosby Treatment from the referees.

Which is NOT that the refs will call obvious tripping and hooking calls against people that try to stop you, but rather that you are allowed to elbow people in the head and cross check them when they're laying on the ice and will also not get a penalty.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    "If I call every penalty against McDavid, the other team will spend 60 minutes with 4 guys on the ice"

Yes.

Also he's faster than you, ref, so start doing more reps in your free time.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Michigan is facing this problem in college as a team. Power play is like 35-40% on the season I think, so refs just don't call penalties even though Michigan has the puck most of the time. Been shorthanded more than they've been on the power play by a bunch.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Corvus on
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Make the S really big! Yeah, like that.

No, wait, I changed my mind. Make the 2nd S different.

SMASH
    Burtletoy on
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    I love them. But I'm the sort of sicko who unironically likes the Maryland football uniforms so make of that what you will.

• Options
    r/keming would like a word with the designer of that Nashville jersey

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Could be worse to could be the Miami Heat's city version jerseys

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Tynnan wrote: »
    I love them. But I'm the sort of sicko who unironically likes the Maryland football uniforms so make of that what you will.

That's different though, their uniform is based on their state flag. Sure it's busy and ostentatious, but I feel like they deserve a pass. But then, I like the Maryland flag, so I'm partial.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    honestly i don't mind'em for what they are

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    It's tough to express what a multifaceted disaster this Islanders season has been

• Options
    Stupid question: after winning 2 Cups recently, why was the Pens ownership group so inclined to sell? Of all the team sale discussions, this one most confuses me.

Did guys like Lemieux just want to liquidate their stakes?

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    My understanding (and there are certainly people with more knowledge about this than me) is that (1) Lemieux never intended to be a long term owner. He got ownership of the team because he was their biggest creditor when they went bankrupt if I recall correctly. So him getting out isn't a huge surprise. Except that (2) Lemieux is taking an ownership position in the new group. I guess he's letting a bigger group take control, giving up some of the risk/reward for the Pens but getting a share of that larger organization. Again, not 100% on all the details, but it seems pretty win-win to me.

• Options
    Could be that the other partner, Ron Burkle, wanted out, and Lemieux probably couldn't afford to buy him out, so another party was needed.

This is also good for the league because it's believed the estimated value of the organization for the purposes of the sale was $875 million, which is a big number for an NHL team.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Brody wrote: »
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Brendan Lemieux apparently bit Brady Tkachuk tonight. Got tossed for it. Yes, he's Claude's kid. Ban the whole family from the league.

Tkachuk was fairly blunt as far as these things go

How do you even get a chance to bite another player?

Video of what happened.

this was like a week ago but oh my god do i love it when jomboy does hockey
    this gives the most comprehensive and hilarious breakdown of the proceedings
    especially the shit talking in the boxes
    https://youtu.be/7YNaQlGV9lI

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Coach and GM fired in Vancouver last night, Coach fired in Philly this morning.

• Options
    The Vancouver situation is really strange. Green being replaced with Boudreau before Benning was tossed. Would’ve expected a new GM first to being in his own guy for coach. Then again I’ve also read the Aquilinis have been at odds about the direction of the team.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular

Just about sums things up. Cursed season and the only real strategy is just stay the course

• Options
    Jayricho wrote: »
    The Vancouver situation is really strange. Green being replaced with Boudreau before Benning was tossed. Would’ve expected a new GM first to being in his own guy for coach. Then again I’ve also read the Aquilinis have been at odds about the direction of the team.

Bruce Boudreau only has a contract through the end of next season to coach in Vancouver. For all intents and purposes, he's an interim role without the title of interim.

I actually think the way they did it was fairly smart. You get a good coach now, instead of someone on Travis Green's staff to mind the ship for the last 75% of the season when that staff was already not working. You hire a GM, and if that GM and Boudreau can come to some kind of working relationship, you can extend Boudreau. If you can't, it's fairly easy to move on from him and go to another coach.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Yikes, last night's Jets-Leafs game really got out of hand. The same refs who oversaw the Boston-Leafs game a few years back that ended with the Kadri suspension.

Basically they put their whistles away and let dangerous plays happen until someone got hurt (Sandin was injured from a knee-on-knee that went uncalled) then players started retaliating.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Yikes, last night's Jets-Leafs game really got out of hand. The same refs who oversaw the Boston-Leafs game a few years back that ended with the Kadri suspension.

Basically they put their whistles away and let dangerous plays happen until someone got hurt (Sandin was injured from a knee-on-knee that went uncalled) then players started retaliating.

further to that. Neal Pionk, who was the guy who had the knee on knee hit with Sandin, will be getting a phone hearing with player safety. Jason Spezza, who later in the game attempted to remove Pionk's head, has been given the option of an in person hearing. And Wayne Simmonds has been fined $2,250 for his role.

Personally, I think Pionk's hit on Sandin was mostly accidental. But I do think a hearing is warranted. I think he gets fined. Spezza literally dove and drove his elbow at Pionk's head as Pionk was going to the ice. There is an argument that can be made that Pionk falling meant Spezza didn't have time to properly change his reaction to the play, so I think Spezza gets a couple games.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    The internet is pointing out that Meier has a history of letting games get out of hand. Guy refs like it's the 1980s.

• Options
    Jayricho wrote: »

Benning was a puppet GM for Franceso Aquillini to run the team, so he probably hired Boudreau directly without Benning even knowing. I think Benning and Green were let go at the same time but the news leaked about Green first.

It's widely believed that when the Canucks hired Tortorellla to coach, it was Aquilini's decision, and not management's.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    so guess who went to the Canucks Penguins game on Saturday night?!

Holy hell, I have watched years of NHL games. I'm a Habs fan so this season i have aseen a LOT of bad hockey.

I have never, ever, seen worse professional hockey than I saw by Vancouver in the 3rd period of Saturday game. The Fire Benning chants were sooooo loud in person. Was not surprised Coach and GM were gone the next day, it was all over Sportsnet and Social Media.

Such a crazy thing, Ownership did it all, didn't include anybody in any changes, Green found out he was fired thorugh twitter when it leaked.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Love that Zegras is going to win the Calder with that play specifically.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Holy shit, these are amazing! Fuck you, Vegas, why are you always winning!

• Options
    Jake Guentzel is now listed as week-to-week with an "upper body injury" after blocking a shot with his hand in the first period of the game versus the Kraken.

Related, Jake Guentzel scored 2 goals in the 2nd and 3rd periods after blocking a shot with his hand in the first period of the game versus the Kraken.

• Options
    I love that they’re leaning so hard into this.

• Options
This discussion has been closed.