As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [chat] Who Circumnavigated Fairyland

1545556575860»

• Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    They do make it look easy sometimes.

Calligraphers tend to speed up videos on Youtube and Instagram which is really deceiving. My favorite is when they post free tuition videos in which they stress calligraphy is slow and you should slow down then speed up demos in the video for time. Way to go asshole! :+1:

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Oh man, I'm moving on from Robo Bean to the Mannequinization portion of Proko's figure drawing class and BOY is that a big jump in difficulty! I'm gonna have to get real comfortable with producing a bunch of truly terrible drawings.

• Options
    danx wrote: »
    They do make it look easy sometimes.

Calligraphers tend to speed up videos on Youtube and Instagram which is really deceiving. My favorite is when they post free tuition videos in which they stress calligraphy is slow and you should slow down then speed up demos in the video for time. Way to go asshole! :+1:

To be fair, I agree that all the sped up/highly edited art videos out there tend to give a really deceptive idea about how long art 'should' take to make...but then, if someone posts a video where they do it all in real time, I know I'm skipping through it or playing it at 2x speed anyway. :P
    So maybe I'm the problem.

Speaking of sped-up art videos, maybe the most extreme example I've seen here- boiling down a 5000 hour painting by a traditional matte painter into 20 minutes using a really clever stop motion technique.

(Painting starts at about 6:40)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CelVjgN4fw

How he did it, with some 'real time' footage in there to let you see just how pain-staking his process is:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XWYHrBOdsM

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    That's excruciating and amazing.

• Options
    Yeah that's pretty intense. 210 days of just working on one painting.

To be fair, I agree that all the sped up/highly edited art videos out there tend to give a really deceptive idea about how long art 'should' take to make...but then, if someone posts a video where they do it all in real time, I know I'm skipping through it or playing it at 2x speed anyway. :P
    So maybe I'm the problem.

Oh I don't have any issues with sped up paintings, etc. It's sped up calligraphy and hand lettering educational content that really bothers me. Sped up calligraphy looks almost like something you could do so it does give a false impression but it's mostly fine (I'd prefer they always labelled the speed up but it's not a deal breaker). Some people do it in tutorials aimed at beginners though and it just sucks.

It's irritating when it's calligraphy or hand lettering because the natural speed depends on the type, the experience of the person, the size of lettering your working with so being unclear about what's being sped up is unhelpful. Other art instruction tends to be better about when to speed up - either speeding up the parts they expect people to be familiar with or speeding up a full demo at the end.

• Options
    So I've been plugging along with exercises and personal projects and shit and I cannot believe how much of learning drawing for me really boils down to me absolutely refusing to admit I have no idea what anything actually looks like. And then trying to draw it over and over again. And then admitting that I don't remember what anything looks like ever, and painstakingly using references.

Even though I fully recognize this phenomenon, there is a zero percent chance that my next project will avoid the same pattern

• Options
    hiraethhiraeth SpaceRegistered User regular
    I've always done that on purpose to help learn things, I saw a video a while ago about doing it for art specifically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rtc6iYp6Qk

• Options
    EsiotrotEsiotrot Registered User regular
    can I ask for an opinion from you lovely lot with your lovely talented eyes? I am sending out a mail shot to try and drum up some work because it's slowed down a bit recently and wondering which of the following you think is the most effective. I'm sending this to bands/labels/promoters in the metal/general music scene
    roy7ilyccfcs.jpg
    9yu2f4i1l23e.jpg
    azgzf2c10qvk.jpg

• Options
    megadosmegados Registered User new member
    I never post because my eyes are neither lovely nor talented. I would say 1 or 3, just because putting the 'swirl' behind the skulls makes no sense to me.

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    1. Keep it simple, can always add more skulls

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    hiraeth wrote: »
    I've always done that on purpose to help learn things, I saw a video a while ago about doing it for art specifically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rtc6iYp6Qk

The technique in that vid sounds like something you'd find in the book 'Make It Stick' adapted to art instead of the examples given in the book which focus on more wordy(?) knowledge subjects and sports. The scuplter starts by sculpting what he thinks a chimp looks like (retrieval), corrects it in the next sculpt, then goes back to using his new memory repeating the process until he knows how to sculpt it. The video doesn't cover spacing which helps to maintain that knowledge by periodically revisiting the material to keep it fresh.

Would recommend reading the book if you want to learn stuff that persists. I thought my memory was complete dog shit wrapped in cat shit but I was using it wrong. Now instead of telling my brain to remember stuff by repeating things, I basically ask it what it remembers (this is called retrieval) and fix any mistakes. It even works for new stuff you just learned. Just do the task one or two times and then put that to one side and do as much of it as you can from memory. It's more challenging which helps retain the info better and tells you what you didn't retain which is just as important. The book goes over this and other effective techniques like deliberate practice which is what the guy in the vid did when he really focused on the second sculpt (the one from reference).

A+ book. Would be nice if there was a book like this aimed specifically at artists but it does the job.

• Options
    Thanks for that book recommendation I've been reading into it.

• Options
    Hmm, I wonder if I could make some nice page liners with a couple markers and a ruler?

Art brain: "BUY THE 72 SET OF COPICS for $421.20 THERE ARE 72 OF THEM! No, not the 14 dollar basic pack on Amazon that probably work fine! There's not 72 of those!"

Art brain. Art brain never changes.

• Options
    Oh you get that too? It wasn't markers but today I was like I need one thin blue pigma microns. Art brain is like you can buy 5 in a pack, get that just in case you need 5. I'll probably use one in a year.

• Options
    Of course. If I spend hundreds of dollars, my art will magically be good! Who needs practice when you can just buy perfection?

• Options
    Yeah I did that sort of when I bought a Cintiq over a year ago because I was gonna get serious. I did not get serious and kinda wish I'd went for the cheaper Intuos Pro or nothing at all.

It really doesn't help the only work area in the house is also where I game, use the internet and sleep. The house is so small there's no where else to set up. The contextual cues of having a separate work and play environment are supposed to help a lot. I don't know how people working from home without an office do it. Must drive yous nuts.

• Options
    Cpt KirkCpt Kirk Registered User new member
    Been lurking for a while. I notice so many of these threads on the first few pages were first created almost a decade ago! Incredible collections of work, but it's so sad to see the walls of broken links.

• Options
    Yeah, lots of stuff goes inactive. Not sure why my art links all broke. They seem to work on Discord fine. Here:

20220120_205616-Copy-scaled.jpg

Ah, technology.

• Options
    Just started holding pens and pencils slightly further back. It's easier to see what I'm drawing and get lines where they're meant to be but all the wobbles are back. So so many wobbles and jitters.

• Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    I miss forums.

• Options
    Aw, me too. As much as I love this little corner of the internet, it's just not active enough to really support a new or learning artist even though there's really great advice in the archives. I think the 'chat' or real time advice aspect has moved to Reddit for new artists mostly.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Aw, me too. As much as I love this little corner of the internet, it's just not active enough to really support a new or learning artist even though there's really great advice in the archives. I think the 'chat' or real time advice aspect has moved to Reddit for new artists mostly.

Which Reddits? My experience of art education Reddit is it's mostly empty of advice. Not entirely just mostly. Seems like there's lots of people looking for advice but few who feel able to give it. Proko's site is basically the same as Reddit (or was, haven't been in a while) despite hosting paid content.

The ArtWoD discord is alright but you have to pay for that. It isn't that big a community but it's okay and the program structure is good if you're someone like me who needs projects to work on but are terrible at making your own. The drawing program is heavily weighted towards spatial awareness and design. General art development it is not.

Not sure about the painting part yet. It costs extra so I'm waiting until I'm more confident and have cash.

danx on
  • Options
    https://www.reddit.com/r/learntodraw/ seems nice! It's what you make of it I think. I like this one since it seems like people who are actually posting their stuff as they learn. It's not perfect, it's not polished, but it shows growth, y'know?

• Options
    Sorry for double post, but I think what I'm looking for mostly is less advice, and more a community of people 'going through it.' It takes a lot of failing to get good at something, and it's nice to have a group of people sharing both their triumphs and ah... not so triumphs. I think we all know what we 'should' do. Do drills, do studies, practice. But there's a dearth of people sharing what that looks like sometimes. Reddit's good for that, I find.

• Options
    Yeah that makes sense. That's one thing i like about ArtWoD. Everyone is going through similar things at different paces but you're all going through it together and there's no pressure. It's been nice to see others just sharing their stuff.

I'm really uptight about sharing myself but seeing other peoples art journey is relaxing me... a bit.

• Options
    White NoiseWhite Noise Registered User regular
    Agentflit wrote: »
    I miss forums.

If all else fails the SA forums are still up and kickin'

• Options
    ContentContextContentContext Registered User regular
    Clip Studio Paint is leaning more heavily on their subscription model, starting next year, which is creating some backlash. As far as I can tell there won't be any functional difference between whatever the current version is at the end of the year and 2.0, but you won't be able to get any feature updates between 2.0 and 3.0 without a subscription. Also support for the current version will end when 3.0 hits(2.0 support ends with 4.0).

The current version meets my current needs, and I'm not trying to add another subscription into my life, so I can hold off until a version comes out with useful new features. As long as I can buy a perpetual license and am not forced into subscribing, there shouldn't be a problem.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Kim Jung Gi died of a heart attack last night. :cry: He was 47. :open_mouth:

It is with great sadness and a heavy heart that we inform you of the sudden passing of Kim Jung Gi. After finishing his last schedule in Europe, Jung Gi went to the airport to fly to New York, where he experienced chest pains and was taken to a nearby hospital for surgery, but sadly passed away.

October 3, 2022

After having done so much for us, you can now put down your brushes.

Thank you Jung Gi.

October 5, 2022

Hyun Jin Kim

danx on
  • Options
    Karoshi?

• Options
    Maybe? Dude did work a lot but he had some underlying health issues which may have contributed and it does happen so who knows. I actually thought he was older than he was but turns out he's only 6 years older than me.

He streamed signing of his latest book a month or two ago, every one signed with a different drawing. Dude had some mad skills.

RIP

• Options
    what the fuck D: we will miss you Kim you should have had another 47 of drawing

• Options
    Is it me or are the G Tec C (eu version of the Hi Tec C) really poor quality pens? All of the ones I have on hand skip randomly and none of the 'fixes' seem to work. If it wasn't for the skipping they'd be great but they do it all the time. :(

• Options
    Sooo... is Artstation flushing itself? It looks like they're trying real hard to reach the button.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    FYI for all you Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop, and other software users:

Adobe has opted your art into building AI systems without telling you. You have to log into your Adobe Account to turn it off.

This is maddening. I don't know why all these places feel entitled to use our work for free.
    If you read "learn more" it says you agree that Adobe can use any files on your Adobe cloud storage (music, images ,text, etc).

Embedded image shows how to disable that permission for now. It impacts everything going into Adobe Cloud regardless of source.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_dZtidLwo4
    Jan 25, 2023
    Enjoy the first episode of Blenderheads, a series about the people behind the Blender project. The editor and director –documentary maker Maaike Kleverlaan– works embedded in the Blender headquarters to cover the activities and conduct interviews. The first episode is set during September-December 2022, with new episodes being published on a quarterly basis.

Interesting lil vid about behind the scenes at Blender.

• Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Hey AC, I've been on a fun journey. Mostly learning to relax and enjoy making art instead of holding my breath and berating myself. I started going to some figure sessions at the art studio in my small city. There I found out about an annual "Brush Off!" - names are put in a hat, and also if you put money in the tip jar you can put a prompt in there. Then the competition is a name is pulled, then a prompt. The artist has 5 minutes to prep and mix paint, and then 15 minutes to make a painting on a big piece of primed marine plywood. I've never done a physical painting before, just digital, but I put my name in the hat... and got called first!

It was really fun, and I got a prompt right up my alley. Here's my 15" painting.

t5quklnxhkmd.jpg

I'm excited to try some more "real" painting. Just wanted to share the good experience here for old time's sake, I sure learned a lot in the AC.

• Options
    david, if necessarydavid, if necessary Registered User new member
    Hi, everyone.