As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallout] Remember when we said no NPC's or Companions in West Virginia ? Never mind.

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    5gsowHm.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    It's 600 atoms for pink paint for metal armor. EDIT: not "metal" armors. Metal Armor specifically, and that's it. :rotate:

It is an insane rip off.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I own it already. Along with the pink pipboy, several pink wallpapers, and I'm pretty sure I have pink power armor, but I haven't played in ages and may be confusing it with FO4 memory.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I own it already. Along with the pink pipboy, several pink wallpapers, and I'm pretty sure I have pink power armor, but I haven't played in ages and may be confusing it with FO4 memory.
    Have you gotten the pink donut power armor and pip boy yet?

Thats the real golden goose.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    That the pink one with sprinkles painted on? I have something with that color. Can't remember if it's pipboy, armor, or both.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    I bought the water slide and I rather like it, it's got some rooms in it which is a nice bonus. But one really annoying thing: after you ride it, it teleports you back up to the top. I had initially hoped to put a bed up there since the slide would be a quick way back down but OH WELL

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Bah, messing around with fallout 4 foliage some more - there were certain areas where it seems like flora fx was dogging my framerate… So I went looking for a replacement, and its really hard to find one.

Boston natural surroundings 2.0 has really nice conifers…. But nothing else. So it looks like you are running around Portland rather than Boston.l and there are dead trees everywhere.

Boston natural surroundings 1.3 has some stuff I like but overall I wasn’t happy with it. There were some ugly trees here and there.

A forest is the fucking jungle. It looks great but I can’t see anything because there are 1 billion trees everywhere.

A summers end is a modification of A forest which helps by reducing leaf density but doesn’t go nearly far enough. Rather than summer jungle it puts you at autumn jungle which is fine if thats what you want but still not Boston.

So what I ended up doing is doing Boston natural surroundings 2 trees only as my actual esp mod loaded last, then loading up the assets only of summers end and boston 1.30 with a dummy esp so only the vanilla tree branch texture edits get used, (with bns 1.3 overwriting summers end as bns looks better but only covers a few vanilla trees while summers end covers most of the rest) and then run LODGEN to generate object LOD.

It looks good but I am probably a crazy person to go that far for trees.

Unusual Pipe spawned within my house at camp last night, which was certainly a very weird way to first discover it.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    So a few thoughts from fallout 4 (been off work so probably put like 40 hours into it in the past week).

1. I’m on the fence recommending any purely graphical mods. Not because there aren’t great ones out there (I love boston natural surroundings and Fungal forest especially) but because fallout 4 seems to be horribly optimized and I get occasional frame rate drops even with everything vanilla. I could probably cut godrays off completely to squeeze out a few more but sometimes I get drops even indoors *shrug*.

2. As far as gameplay goes, Lunar fallout is great. If you want a vanilla + experience that reduces a lot of the monty haul aspects of fallout 4 without increasing actual difficulty that much. It feels very tuned, ammo and better weapons are more scarce but I never feel starved. Stuff that was almost exploitative like Water purifiers can still be done but takes a bigger investment in levels and perks to get going. Its a slower start in a way but one that feels more natural. There is a weapon pack associated that should be considered an unskippable part of the mod as it seems to be balanced around it.

Lore based power armor changes is also great. There is a patch for it and lunar on the lunar page (place both esps after lunar). It does a lot of things I really like.

1. Gets rid of a lot of freebie power armor frames in the wild. Lets face it, in vanilla there are a lot of frames just lying around. Why have none of the thousands of raiders running around not bothered to pick them up? You get two freebie sets (minutemen and BOS quests) so you aren’t locked out of power armor, and you can find frames pop up at vendors, but you won’t have dozens of frames standing around red rocket.
    2. Differentiates the power armors. No longer is it a straight upgrade, now the types have different characteristics. Raider is straight out of the box useful but doesn’t do much other than stop bullets. T-45 is crap out of the box and drains fusion cores like crazy, but with basic parts and a minimal amount of armorer skill and basic materials can be upgraded to be pretty decent all around armor. T-60 is BOS only, and is good all around, but the brotherhood expects initiates to maintain their armor so be sure to bring armorer 2 to keep it up. T-51b is exotic stuff, no free sets for you, buy it piece by peice from BOS and atomic cats vendors or find it locked in a dungeon somewhere. Starts good, becomes excellent with upgrades, but needs better materials and skill to repair and upgrade than t45 or t60. Then x01 - its prototype, it isn’t going to be very useful out of the box, most found peices will be barely functional. If you have a ton of science and armorer, though, and are willing to dump a ton of mats in it you can make it sing.

Its neat because repair mats mean even end game you may want to have a “walking around” suit of T45 or T 60 and a special occasion suit of T51 or X01.

Edit: I ended up solving 90% of my performance problems

Main things:

DO NOT install the official hd texture pack. Also probably avoid any large scale hd retexture mods (terrain etc).

Set god rays to minimun and lighting to medium

Set imaxdesired=600 in the particles section of falloutprefs.ini (helps a lot with rain or big firefights).

These 3 things basically mean I can run my tree mods and weather mods without too much of an issue.

Jealous Deva on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Is this the best thread to ask about Fallout 76?

Xaquin wrote: »
    Is this the best thread to ask about Fallout 76?

Yes.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    edited March 2022
    excellent!

can anyone explain how to quest together on a private server? My wife and I just picked up the game and seemed to be questing together until we got to the wayward when it suddenly became instanced(?). She was able to help me, but I could not transfer party leadership to her. She ended up having to exit and do it all over while I waited outside. We're missing something, but what? Is it because she doesn't have fallout 1st and I do?

Xaquin on
    That's pretty much how it works, only one person can progress a quest when in an instanced location

oh =/

that seems .... poorly thought out

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    oh =/

that seems .... poorly thought out

Welcome to Fallout 76.

• EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Been on a Fallout 4 binge lately, and have just triggered Valentine's quest. Since I just cleared out Quincy, I decided to go there and grab the holotape.

But apparently Quincy got repopulated, because when I fast traveled to the police station, and got immediately one shot by a stealthed assaultron. This was odd because I never had much trouble with those before. No matter, I'll head home and grab my best set of power armour and fuck that robot up.

She two shot me.

I don't know if she's scripted to be tough, or that I just reached a level threshold that upgrades her...but ouch.

Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Been on a Fallout 4 binge lately, and have just triggered Valentine's quest. Since I just cleared out Quincy, I decided to go there and grab the holotape.

But apparently Quincy got repopulated, because when I fast traveled to the police station, and got immediately one shot by a stealthed assaultron. This was odd because I never had much trouble with those before. No matter, I'll head home and grab my best set of power armour and fuck that robot up.

She two shot me.

I don't know if she's scripted to be tough, or that I just reached a level threshold that upgrades her...but ouch.

For assaultrons, blow their legs off. Slows them down and gives you more time to find cover if they're charging their head laser.

5gsowHm.png
  • ouchiesouchies Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure most locations in Fallout 4 repopulate after 3 in-game days. I get it from a gameplay point of view, as otherwise the world would be empty. From an immersion point of view, it's really frustrating because the world is supposed to be empty. It really breaks my sense of immersion if the same place I've been through and picked clean all of a sudden has higher level enemies and all the containers are now fully stocked again. There could be an element of "raiders are always looking for and moving into abandoned locations," and that would even tie into the Minutemen's whole deal, but it isn't really presented that way in game. It's just "it's been three days, that place is full of enemies again, go kill them for teh lootz."

• GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »

She two shot me.

Regular attacks, or the face laser? The face laser is always ridiculous damage, for some reason.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    ouchies wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure most locations in Fallout 4 repopulate after 3 in-game days. I get it from a gameplay point of view, as otherwise the world would be empty. From an immersion point of view, it's really frustrating because the world is supposed to be empty. It really breaks my sense of immersion if the same place I've been through and picked clean all of a sudden has higher level enemies and all the containers are now fully stocked again. There could be an element of "raiders are always looking for and moving into abandoned locations," and that would even tie into the Minutemen's whole deal, but it isn't really presented that way in game. It's just "it's been three days, that place is full of enemies again, go kill them for teh lootz."

It should have some narrative element. Like don’t repopulate an area with more raiders after I clear raiders out. Fill it with ghouls or robots that move in now that it’s empty. And randomise it a bit, some interiors should stay empty. It added to that feeling of generic misc quests and mmo endless content that’s only got worse with games embracing gaas mantras. I hope it’s not in starfield or es6. Just give me main quests and meaty side quests. I don’t need endless xp grinds in a single player story focussed game

The radiant quest thing I feel should more accurately be called “spreadsheet” quests. They just feel like variables in an equation being randomised. It’s not what people come to tailored single player story rpgs for and they need to stop it

It actively makes the games worse as well because people burn out on the gameplay when they do these shitty little nothing quests that have no end, and they give up before getting to actual main quests because they just assume most quests will be that shallow. They’re sabotaging their own game with them. You remove that shit and peoples completion rates would actually go up. It’s poison

Prohass on
  • LJDouglasLJDouglas Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    ouchies wrote: »

It should have some narrative element. Like don’t repopulate an area with more raiders after I clear raiders out. Fill it with ghouls or robots that move in now that it’s empty. And randomise it a bit, some interiors should stay empty. It added to that feeling of generic misc quests and mmo endless content that’s only got worse with games embracing gaas mantras. I hope it’s not in starfield or es6. Just give me main quests and meaty side quests. I don’t need endless xp grinds in a single player story focussed game

The radiant quest thing I feel should more accurately be called “spreadsheet” quests. They just feel like variables in an equation being randomised. It’s not what people come to tailored single player story rpgs for and they need to stop it

It actively makes the games worse as well because people burn out on the gameplay when they do these shitty little nothing quests that have no end, and they give up before getting to actual main quests because they just assume most quests will be that shallow. They’re sabotaging their own game with them. You remove that shit and peoples completion rates would actually go up. It’s poison

It did a pretty big disservice to Preston as a character too. Not the most interesting character anyway, but he wouldn't have received anywhere near the hate he did if every single conversation with him didn't result in him sending you off to help yet another settlement that needs your help.

edited May 2022
    God, I hope the Fallout show is good and actually feels like Fallout.

I need it to be so bad. Shooting in June I think.

Dr. Chaos on
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    God, I hope the Fallout show is good and actually feels like Fallout.

I need it to be so bad. Shooting in June I think.

You might get your wish, but not in the way you meant.

5gsowHm.png
    edited May 2022
    First set photo will be released and its of a vault dweller riding in a modern toyota listening to Metallica and wearing a jumpsuit thats just gray and saying something about how people used jet before the war.

Dr. Chaos on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    First set photo will be released and its of a vault dweller riding in a modern toyota listening to Metallica and wearing a jumpsuit thats just gray and saying something about how people used jet before the war.

Honestly, I think the most likely nightmare scenario is them producing a lightly Fallout themed YA Dystopia series.

And Nuka Cola is renamed NuKola for no reason.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    LRcFzfb.jpeg

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Well, the Halo show face-planted, let's see if Fallout can do any better. The series is due for an upswing.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    After Wheel of Time I wouldn't hold out much hope.

• yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    A Fallout show would be obscenely easy to pull off, as long as you’re not doing an east coast setting. Just go shoot a western with sci-fi elements and run down buildings in Arizona. There was a YouTube series that did a credible job some years back. A talented show runner could make an amazing series with a shoestring budget.

"I see everything twice!"

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    that tweet is from 2 years ago so I dunno if it's still happening.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    There is zero percent chance that it's good. Let's be honest

What is this I don't even.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I'm just curious to see how they'll pull off supermutants.

Gotta be CGI if you want to do it right.

At best it'll be akin to a speed run of a main game story but that's so far afield of how most people play normally that it won't ever feel 'right'.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

At best it'll be akin to a speed run of a main game story but that's so far afield of how most people play normally that it won't ever feel 'right'.

To be fair, if each episode is a ministory dungeon kind of thing. I'm not even sure if they need an overarching narrative.

Some set photos/leaks have been going around and they look amazing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/kotaku.com/fallout-tv-show-amazon-bethesda-xbox-76-new-vegas-1849426276/amp

The aesthetic is lifted straight out of Fallout 4 and its 1:1.

Remains to be seen if the writing will feel like Fallout but it sure as hell looks like Fallout.

That's better than I dared to hope

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    That's better than I dared to hope

Man, I never even given it any thought. I so fully expected "generic post-apocalypse" with maybe a few easter eggs for fans that I really didn't consider any other possibility and for the record I wouldn't even been upset by it. Decades of videogame to movie/tv adaptions had completely eroded any expectations I'd have in regards to sets.

edit- I do have to say putting in that kind of effort in to the sets is expensive and time consuming. So if they care enough to do that, well, it does give me hope for the writing.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.