As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Halo Infinite/SplitGate] Halo Infinite available now! Closed Spoilers for story

• Lou29Lou29 Registered User regular
    I did use one of the last times for that, but mine now are all mode dependent or luck, I guess? Two about kills with a Wasp chain gun that I can never get to during a match when it drops, and win three control rounds (guess which mode I'm rarely pulling :D )

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Lou29 wrote: »
    I did use one of the last times for that, but mine now are all mode dependent or luck, I guess? Two about kills with a Wasp chain gun that I can never get to during a match when it drops, and win three control rounds (guess which mode I'm rarely pulling :D )

Yeah I swapped the 3 control rounds. Hilariously when I finished the 25 melee kills it rolled into I had gotten 2 wins in control

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I straight up got rubber-banded tonight. Haven't seen that in awhile.

Incenjucar wrote: »
    I straight up got rubber-banded tonight. Haven't seen that in awhile.

Yeah I was having that happen to me as well.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Lou29 wrote: »

Yeah I swapped the 3 control rounds. Hilariously when I finished the 25 melee kills it rolled into I had gotten 2 wins in control

I swapped out 3 Strongholds wins for 25 kills in slayer games, and had the same thing happen to me.

• DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Oh, something I did that improved my aim quite a bit as a PC player:

I changed the zoom controls from toggle to hold.

Being really used to destiny mechanics and constantly aiming down a sight, this really helped me out for that middle space of encounters that I was losing a lot of fights in. Both because of the zoom and the aiming muscle memory, even though the difference there is only a different grip on the mouse.

And it is also very useful to be able to scope back in ASAP if you are using a long ranged weapon, and you get knocked out of aiming due to enemy fire.

Dys on
    Just call me mr 117 because I just won my 17! Yes I'm very clever.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    That bug with sword kills only registering half the time is REALLY annoying.

• Lou29Lou29 Registered User regular
    I need to complain on here more often, first two games today took care of both wasp kill challenges, on to racking up 17 wins in....2 days

• AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/r8y7md/longer_message_from_ske7ch/

Subreddit has become white hot radioactive toxic since they decided to start building more playlists, because people are stark raving mad that “slayer should have been in the game in the first place”, and that’s the whole argument.

In this post, ske7ch says something that we’ve known has been true for years;

“Having both Obj and Slayer playlists results in Obj playlists becoming unhealthy.”

Which definitely explains why they weren’t split to begin with; for playlist health. I had a suspicion this was their reasoning.

Basically, we have a problem that is tremendously difficult to bridge; slayer is more popular, but objective modes are undeniably a huge part of what makes Halo Halo. Do we weaken a section of matchmaking to bring deathmatch to the forefront? Because, frankly, there’s a large chance of that happening again! I remember matchmaking times back in the day getting real long in some of the objective queues.

The influx of players as a F2P game might help assuage that, but to be frank, I think their decision to combine the lists into Quick Play was a smart one, with bringing in occasional events as special lists as a nice touch. Of course, the challenge system really really really conflicts with that setup challenges for specific modes in a playlist with four of them? What the fuck!

Idk, it sounds like a fucked up thing to try and solve, and ske7ch did a good job of conveying the frustration 343 feels at the moment. I think it’s incredible they’re deciding to reverse course partially by the end of the goddamned month; that’s so fast! So we’ll see.

edited December 2021
    If they want non-slayer modes to be more populated they should make them more fun for more people instead of forcing people to do things they don't care about as a way to pay for passage to the thing they want.

--

Edit: The frequency of 343 Bots in so many matches makes me wonder if they're already having problems getting enough players in the game.

Incenjucar on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    That's weird to hear as someone who's not super familiar with Halo, but has been enjoying this game, because Slayer is by far my least favorite mode in the BTB playlist.

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    I have no interest in most of the objective modes, so was sticking to BTB until a slayer playlist was implemented since my not playing to the objective has less of a negative impact to the team there. Now I'm just not playing at all.

Forcing players to play modes they don't want to seems like a good way to drag the entire game population down, rather than just the population of those modes.

If they want non-slayer modes to be more populated they should make them more fun for more people instead of forcing people to do things they don't care about as a way to pay for passage to the thing they want.

--

Edit: The frequency of 343 Bots in so many matches makes me wonder if they're already having problems getting enough players in the game.

I didn't see a frequency of bots in games. I imagine one reason you see them a lot is people queue up get a match for something they don't want to do/need and bail.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    r/Halo is a fucking toxic mess on any given day.

The problem with slayer vs objective game modes is that everyone focuses on KD+A as a measuring stick. I’m this good because I performed this well in a match. Objective games remove that carrot because now a player has to do something aside from just scoring kills. They still might lose no matter how good their stats are.

So they riot.

Edit:
    I love one of those comments in that Reddit thread. “They want to charge me $10 for the color red.”

Cadet red already exists. Sorry if it’s not your ideal red?

Shamus on
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I'm not no game matchmaker dev so I don't know how difficult it'd be or how well it'd work, but I wonder about a system where you stack rank the modes in the order which you want to play them, and when you queue the matchmaking groups people up by what they want to do

Opty on
    I actually haven't seen anyone bring up K/D in any of the comments anywhere.

I think what drives me nuts like on an oddball team where the team ignores the objective they aren't even getting kills, they literally just exist doing something instead of what you're supposed to be doing and then we lose.

Oddball seems the worst for people just doing less than nothing. I had a game where only I killed carries and only one other person had anytime with the skull, it was infuriating.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I also want to thank my hours into forza for my warthog plays of the game. Won a game of One flag where we literally "get in bitch we're going flagging" and swear to god capped in like twenty seconds

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Subreddit has become white hot radioactive toxic since they decided to start building more playlists, because people are stark raving mad that “slayer should have been in the game in the first place”, and that’s the whole argument.

“Having both Obj and Slayer playlists results in Obj playlists becoming unhealthy.”

Which definitely explains why they weren’t split to begin with; for playlist health. I had a suspicion this was their reasoning.

Basically, we have a problem that is tremendously difficult to bridge; slayer is more popular, but objective modes are undeniably a huge part of what makes Halo Halo. Do we weaken a section of matchmaking to bring deathmatch to the forefront? Because, frankly, there’s a large chance of that happening again! I remember matchmaking times back in the day getting real long in some of the objective queues.

The influx of players as a F2P game might help assuage that, but to be frank, I think their decision to combine the lists into Quick Play was a smart one, with bringing in occasional events as special lists as a nice touch. Of course, the challenge system really really really conflicts with that setup challenges for specific modes in a playlist with four of them? What the fuck!

Idk, it sounds like a fucked up thing to try and solve, and ske7ch did a good job of conveying the frustration 343 feels at the moment. I think it’s incredible they’re deciding to reverse course partially by the end of the goddamned month; that’s so fast! So we’ll see.

A playlist where people begin to become ANGRY at the game because they can't play a mode they enjoy at all (and frequently quit because of this) is not a "healthy" playlist, and 343 are foolish if they believe it is. Some people want to play Slayer 24/7 and the solution is... to let them. That's the only good solution.

What else determines a win in slayer?

Shamus wrote: »

Slayer wins are based on team kills. Also nobody has been complaining about being able to win Slayer except for how it impacts the terrible challenge system. Also that's not related to an individual's K/D ratio so I'm not sure why you're asking about it.

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    I’m torn. I like objective modes in theory. But I hate 4 man ctf with randoms. So after a few of those in a night I start insta quitting them.

Maybe allow folks to create their own playlists by selecting X game modes so it’s not JUST slayer?

Because if just slayer was an option i would pick it and I’d definitely overall enjoy halo less.

616610-1.png
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Today I played with a PS5 controller. It seems like a crime but it felt pretty good.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

edited December 2021
    Disrupter wrote: »
    I’m torn. I like objective modes in theory. But I hate 4 man ctf with randoms. So after a few of those in a night I start insta quitting them.

Maybe allow folks to create their own playlists by selecting X game modes so it’s not JUST slayer?

Because if just slayer was an option i would pick it and I’d definitely overall enjoy halo less.

I mean honestly being able to select any game mode or at least less of something you don't need for a weekly would be nice.

Like again needing stronghold and getting nothing but other game types. Like today I had 7 games of capture the flag in a row.

So maybe have like slayer stronghold in rotation, and capture the flag and one flag in rotation, and send Oddball into the fucking sun and we never speak of it.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net

Slayer wins are based on team kills. Also nobody has been complaining about being able to win Slayer except for how it impacts the terrible challenge system. Also that's not related to an individual's K/D ratio so I'm not sure why you're asking about it.

I think you’re missing my entire point.

As a game mode, people like slayer because it’s simple. Kill the other team. There’s no other objective.

So slayer is demanded because it’s easy. To win, I kill the other guy. Objective modes force me out of that box because there’s something else to do aside from killing the enemy.

KDA feels good. I can look at the scoreboard and think “Damn I did good.” In an objective based game type, I don’t get the same feeling if I didn’t capture the flag or carry the ball for that long.

So slayer is comfortable. Its an easy fix.

Objective game modes require either communication or the blind hope everyone else is thinking “Yeah let’s win this.” Meanwhile the argument is “Well challenges say I have to do this..” but that challenge doesn’t disappear. You can still do it next game.

I love objective based game types. It makes you work as a team, without communication. With communication, it’s obviously better. But it creates zones of control and it creates a dynamic you can’t learn from knowing the map. It allows both players who may not be a too good at straight up PVP and pros to shine.

But just straight up Slayer? Eh go play a battle royale game.

I don't think objective modes in halo really need communication in non ranked play. I've won without it, what it needs is there to be more points for playing better on the objectives. Like right now most peoples weeklies are either play a game mode or get certain types of kills in a game mode. Aside from this ultimate needing wins, and a couple notorious ones like 3 stronghold wins, winning doesn't matter at all when you're playing for the season pass.

Hell when you have no weeklies losing fast is better exp than winning slow, and that's something that obviously they need to change with the progression system.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Let me add, I do think there should be more playlists.

But slayer is just boring as fuck.

What’s the better story? I went on a rampage or I made a clutch kill on the flag carrier that won us the match?

What’s the better story? I went on a rampage or I made a clutch kill on the flag carrier that won us the match?

They should give you a playlist that has no slayer, then.

I 100% agree, objective game modes have way more clutch moments and are actually more beneficial for lower skill cap players who aren't like the fastest ttk people out there. Also objective modes speed things along. Like Big team slayer is god damn boring because it can turn into various camp fests of boring.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I can't think of a single fun round of Oddball I've played in... years? Slayer IS Halo, Oddball is terrible. Strongholds is a mode that works in a lot of games (Destiny for example), but I just don't care for it in Halo. CTF I'm fine with, but that's a Big Team Battle type mode. It's weird to me that they developed MCC for years from a terrible launch to a much loved game... and then ignored those lessons and tried a bunch of experiments on the launch of their big new mass audience game. If they're surprised they made people mad... they're not very clever, honestly.

I actually enjoy Oddball, but that's because I really enjoy popping people with melee.

I like stronghold and regular capture the flag in 4 v 4. If anything it makes you feel more necessary and I've had some "OH FUCK YEAH!!!" Moments in both of those versus big team battles where I don't feel key to most matches.

Like I had a one flag where I capped both flags and had a literal goal line stand to put the nail in the coffin against the other team.

But also fuck oddball. If anything make it one round, the fact its best of 3 is just I hate it so much.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Slayer is just..boring. It doesn’t naturally promote team play like other modes. I spent a lot of time in Destiny 2 playing Control. It naturally promotes a team dynamic versus just gunning other players down.

There’s a reason the battle royale game type became popular. Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch gametypes become boring.

For me, Halo is big battlefields. Blood Gulch with snipers in the caves, Warthogs and Scorpions. Sidewinder with Ghosts. Banshees. Wraiths.

All the more reason to split up playlists so people who don't like a given mode can play the modes they like.

I actually enjoy Oddball, but that's because I really enjoy popping people with melee.

You can melee enemy players in literally any other game mode and not have it suck like oddball

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »

You can melee enemy players in literally any other game mode and not have it suck like oddball

Other modes do not have the effect of making people run toward me when my melee is faster than theirs.

Slayer is just..boring. It doesn’t naturally promote team play like other modes. I spent a lot of time in Destiny 2 playing Control. It naturally promotes a team dynamic versus just gunning other players down.

There’s a reason the battle royale game type became popular. Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch gametypes become boring.

For me, Halo is big battlefields. Blood Gulch with snipers in the caves, Warthogs and Scorpions. Sidewinder with Ghosts. Banshees. Wraiths.

Are you saying that TDM EVER fell out of popularity? That statement is completely baseless. Different ideas becoming popular doesn't mean the first idea is now unpopular. TDM is the most popular mode in COD, Gears of War, and Halo and some of the other most popular modes are clearly just TDM + a thing. Like Counterstrike and Valorant's TDM + a bomb win condition. One of the most popular Battle Royales (Apex) added an arena mode just to get closer to pure TDM, it has been a popular addition.

• AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular

A playlist where people begin to become ANGRY at the game because they can't play a mode they enjoy at all (and frequently quit because of this) is not a "healthy" playlist, and 343 are foolish if they believe it is. Some people want to play Slayer 24/7 and the solution is... to let them. That's the only good solution.

I completely reject the idea that the “only good solution” is doing the same thing they’ve always done which results in populations in certain queues falling to such levels that it causes problems. I’m not saying “don’t add slayer”, I’m saying that I’m glad they tried something while looking at history, being that queue stagnation is a real problem. It clearly didn’t sit well, so they’re working quickly to build something closer to what a chunk of players want. That’s also good! Will we avoid queue stagnation? Dunno! F2P halo, new world, but the data does not bode well. I hope they figure something out.

The game has been out for like, three, four weeks? The amount of doomsaying is wild, both here and elsewhere. I mean, all I did was link to ske7ch’s post and talk about how this is a tough problem, and the heat came out.