As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Giant Bomb] was a website about video games

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Voice mail dump truck got me self conscious because I don't know how to use chopsticks

If it makes you feel any better, pretty much everyone uses forks "wrong" too

The important part is just getting food from Point A to Point B

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Chopsticks just take practice

You can buy those like, kid ones that connect the two sticks with a little flexible joint and try to get used to 'em from there

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I advise everyone to get good at chop sticks by eating huge bowls of yukgaejang as many times as it takes

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    jump straight to the weighted dbz clothes and learn to use chopsticks with cheung fan

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Unless you're going to Asia, eat it all with a fork, who gives a shit? IMO

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Unless you're going to Asia, eat it all with a fork, who gives a shit? IMO

Idk it's a cool skill to have
    but I've gotten supershitty at it and am too lazy to practice (it feels like I can't even hold them correctly anymore, one always slips off the other one)

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I think with me chopsticks is like how I used to hold pencils and pens weird in school because the right way just felt wrong to me.

Plus yeah I barely use them.

Only really ever for sushi, which I can kinda manage, but only barely.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I’m pretty decent with chopsticks, didn’t listen to the voice mail dump truck but, one of the things I found living in Japan was that most of what people say in the States about their being rules and a right way to use chopsticks is rubbish.

After watching my coworkers use their chopsticks to stab food, or use a stick in each hand to shred larger pieces into smaller ones, or peels bones out of fish, etc things became a lot simpler.

Also, in Japan your food is often served in individual, small plates as well, and it’s very common to pick up the plate and bring it close to your mouth as well. Less distance to travel makes things easier as well.

They are two sticks, use this tool however your please to get the food from the plate to your mouth.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    chopsticks are hard for me to deal with as a person with motor dysgraphia

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Chopsticks are fun and I like them and also you can get very pretty ones

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Voice mail dump truck got me self conscious because I don't know how to use chopsticks

I also don't really
    People have shown me a dozen times but I just don't get it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I’m pretty decent with chopsticks, didn’t listen to the voice mail dump truck but, one of the things I found living in Japan was that most of what people say in the States about their being rules and a right way to use chopsticks is rubbish.

After watching my coworkers use their chopsticks to stab food, or use a stick in each hand to shred larger pieces into smaller ones, or peels bones out of fish, etc things became a lot simpler.

Also, in Japan your food is often served in individual, small plates as well, and it’s very common to pick up the plate and bring it close to your mouth as well. Less distance to travel makes things easier as well.

They are two sticks, use this tool however your please to get the food from the plate to your mouth.

The first time I saw Japanese businessmen eat their beef bowls at lunch by holding the bowl ~2mm from their lips at a 70 degree angle and literally shoveling everything into their mouth as fast as humanly possible was definitely an eye-opening experience.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    The only east Asian country I've spent any time in is South Korea, and let me tell y'all that the customary metal chopsticks there are a next level skill.

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    Because they're flat, or some other reason?

My partner didn't use chopsticks as frequently growing up, so I found it a bit startling when he expressed a preference for Korean-style (which to me seem much more challenging.) I haven't spent any time in an Asian country, but my Dad has, and... my family just loves Asian cuisines, so I grew up using chopsticks. They're useful!

Here's a protip I got off a knitting forum: use chopsticks for snacking --especially anything with a residue like popcorn or Cheeto or Dorito dust-- and you can easily snack and craft without besmirching your project. I don't snack that much, but fuckin' game changer nonetheless, lemme tell ya. (Do not do this with uncovered foods and crafts that throw a lot of particulates.)

These are the trainers my sister has (tho one can also fab a simple version using a rubber band):
    gldfoe4qmsxg.jpg

8au2v2wh0egx.jpg

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    When I was on vacation in Japan for a couple of weeks I made myself use chopsticks whenever possible. Certain things like soups and desserts I ate with a fork or spoon but everything else was chopsticks only. It was a little rough at first but I got pretty comfortable with them within a few days.

I do really regret not buying any chopsticks while I was there as a souvenir, so I did bought a really nice set made from Macadmia wood on Etsy when I got home.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    The worst part about the metal chopsticks they use in Korea isn't even that they're flat.

It's how if you're eating something hot or spicy (which is pretty dang common in South Korea) and your hands get even a tiny amount of moisture from sweat or steam on them then the chopsticks suddenly become really slick due to being metal and actively try to slip out of your hands.

That being said, getting used to them was pretty much a trial by fire for my limited chopstick skills and after a few months using chopsticks felt as natural as using any other dining instrument for me.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

The first time I saw Japanese businessmen eat their beef bowls at lunch by holding the bowl ~2mm from their lips at a 70 degree angle and literally shoveling everything into their mouth as fast as humanly possible was definitely an eye-opening experience.

That and slurping noodles without just spraying broth all over yourself are skillsets in their own right imo

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Even living in Asia, you can go a long time without needing to know how to use chopsticks. I spent a few months half-heartedly trying before always giving up because forks were always available.

It was only after hiking up a mountain and finding the rest stop only had chopsticks and cup ramen that I was forced to learn.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    YMMV, but forks were not readily available at my workplace or most restaurants in my neck of rural Japan.

Exceptions were places that served non-Japanese style food, like the local cafes that did risotto.

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Ah yeah, I started out in Seoul, I can imagine it'd be different in smaller towns.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Listening to Jeff Bakalar shit on genre fiction he's not into as supposedly being incomprehensible (Halo, DBZ) when that dude reads superhero comics is a whole thing.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Everyone has a dumb blind spot about their particular bullshit.

• Options
  • Options
    "'Uh-oh: turkey' is right"

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I would say kill it with fire but it's literally an oven. With Wi-Fi. Because the future is dumb.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    actually it's a smart oven

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Just heard that It Take's Two won Game of the Year and couldn't help but think of Ryan Davis' take on Enslaved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuvBqRJDYYA

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Abbey Russel is a paid intern on G4. I don't know why they have her working as an intern.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Abbey Russel is a paid intern on G4. I don't know why they have her working as an intern.

eh? Her title is "Creative Producer."

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

Slash Mannequin Model.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    admanb wrote: »

She was on the stream wearing a paid intern shirt.

• Options
    They are doing that stupid shit where they wear intern shirts.

• Options
    Maybe she was an intern before they signed her on.

• Options
    Apparently, G4 has unpaid interns. I don't see how someone can do that.

• Options
    Apparently, G4 has unpaid interns. I don't see how someone can do that.

America is a cult of capitalism. Corporations have successfully made the idea of getting paid with "experience" a concept people don't even blink an eye at.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    please don't quadruple post